Blizzard stance on PvP on april 2012, a summary

Summary of Bashiok's posts found here : http://www.diablofans.com/blizz-tracker/topic/221827-no-no-plans-for-duels-outrage/

Goals :
    - fun & casual PvP
    - no ladder
    - no leagues
    - no eSport
    - nothing that will allow a parallel competitive system to emerge (might prevent private arenas from being developed)
    - no PvP tracking system that allows to evaluate skill level

Reasons :
    - confusing to have 2 different balance for the player (1 for PvP 1 for PvE)
    - don't want to maintain 2 games
    - don't want to sacrifice PvE if they keep the same balance between PvP and PvE
    - keep the game PvE-centered
    Quote from Gryzorz

Summary of Bashiok's posts found here : http://www.diablofan...-duels-outrage/

Goals :
    - fun & casual PvP
    - no ladder
    - no leagues
    - no eSport
    - nothing that will allow a parallel competitive system to emerge (might prevent private arenas from being developed)
    - no PvP tracking system that allows to evaluate skill level

Reasons :
    - confusing to have 2 different balance for the player (1 for PvP 1 for PvE)
    - don't want to maintain 2 games
    - don't want to sacrifice PvE if they keep the same balance between PvP and PvE
    - keep the game PvE-centered

Yup. Pretty much exactly what I've been stating. Good to see clarification though.
    Quote from GladHeHasBeta

ecutruin +9000
    Hmm whats this? "We're open to the idea of custom PvP matches, which would allow for duels in the arenas. There are a lot of decisions before we can get there, but on the design philosophy front we don't have anything against practice duels or other custom matches (1v4?), as long as they can't be used for progression. It'll just come down to implementation and what we're able to pull off in a timely manner."

Oh wait..that is for private arenas? That is for 1v4? Damn...and here I thought they were so anti esports....good job there friends. You called it!
    Quote from Adon

Hmm whats this? "We're open to the idea of custom PvP matches, which would allow for duels in the arenas. There are a lot of decisions before we can get there, but on the design philosophy front we don't have anything against practice duels or other custom matches (1v4?), as long as they can't be used for progression. It'll just come down to implementation and what we're able to pull off in a timely manner."

Oh wait..that is for private arenas? That is for 1v4? Damn...and here I thought they were so anti esports....good job there friends. You called it!

Read further. They go on to state..

It's one reason custom matches can make some people nervous, because it means players can start setting up their own games in attempts to create a more competitive system. Or just complaining their 1v1 duels aren't balanced. When that happens people start demanding the sacrifice of PvE, "I need more mobility/stuns/dps", separate systems with different abilities, and on and on. I think if there were one good argument against duels and custom games, it would be the players themselves. :)

So, while they aren't against it...they do still have some reservations on implementing it.
    Quote from GladHeHasBeta

ecutruin +9000
    And keep reading....
    "No Duels Before PvP Patch
    plz give us at least 1v1 option for pvp if no duels or free-for-all mode when pvp hits.
    I meant no plans for duels before the PvP patch. It'll depend on if we can get custom matches implemented then."

I read that and I definitly don't see a "We hate custom matches and never be in game! ESPORTS!" I don't see that, I see a company or a man who says "Yea it is a possibility, something that if we have the time we will do, just no information as of now."
    Keep trying to hate and fight that esports fight ecutruin, you just got slammed by your lover Blizzard.
    Quote from Adon

And keep reading....
    plz give us at least 1v1 option for pvp if no duels or free-for-all mode when pvp hits.
    I meant no plans for duels before the PvP patch. It'll depend on if we can get custom matches implemented then."

I read that and I definitly don't see a "We hate custom matches and never be in game! ESPORTS!" I don't see that, I see a company or a man who says "Yea it is a possibility, something that if we have the time we will do, just no information as of now."
    Keep trying to hate and fight that esports fight ecutruin, you just got slammed by your lover Blizzard.

Did you even read my last post? Blizzard specifically stated that "players" are a good reason NOT to implement custom PvP matches. Honestly, I don't care if they do or don't...but given the statements made by Blizzard...it seems they still have good reasons not to and I agree with em.
    Quote from GladHeHasBeta

ecutruin +9000
    Quote from ecutruin

Quote from Adon

And keep reading....

Did you even read my last post? Blizzard specifically stated that "players" are a good reason NOT to implement custom PvP matches. Honestly, I don't care if they do or don't...but given the statements made by Blizzard...it seems they still have good reasons not to and I agree with em.

Right so since Bashiok said a good argument against them would be the players themselves that puts it into your mind that they won't make private arenas or are against them? Players are a good argument as to why PvM will be so easy mode and retarded also. Players are a great argument as to why the community in this game will be in mostly private games. Players are a great argument to get out of giving out any real info because it is such a shitty response.

I guess his 1 and I mean 1 statement regarding why it won't happen, is better then his 3 or so where he says if they have time then it could happen.
    In regards to the whole E-sports hype thingy-bobby, the following quote is also well to remember:

"Anyone who has tried it at BlizzCon knows the PvP in Diablo III is a blast, but I've seen some people start to get ideas that it's going to be an eSport, and that's just not something we're targeting - for the sake of our goals in the single player/co-op experience."

On a different note, is it just me or are these discussions (PvM vs PvP) becoming more and more heated from the get-go? Can't we just agree to disagree and let that be that?
    Quote from Nordicus

In regards to the whole E-sports hype thingy-bobby, the following quote is also well to remember:

"Anyone who has tried it at BlizzCon knows the PvP in Diablo III is a blast, but I've seen some people start to get ideas that it's going to be an eSport, and that's just not something we're targeting - for the sake of our goals in the single player/co-op experience."

On a different note, is it just me or are these discussions (PvM vs PvP) becoming more and more heated from the get-go? Can't we just agree to disagree and let that be that?

Wish we could, however some people like to butt into every conversations and spread the views of Blizzard blindly. Makes casual or intelligent conversation almost impossible since they are a radical Blizzard lovers.
    Blizzard state that they are not against any pvp system as long as it stays casual-fun.
    Unfortunately, players will always try to push duels/private games to competitive levels, that's why they won't do it.

TL/DR (lol) :
    private arena or private duel games = open door to eSport = competitive PvP game emerging = competitive players asking for balance = 2 games to maintain, which is precisely what Blizzard doesn't want.
    Quote from Adon

Wish we could, however some people like to butt into every conversations and spread the views of Blizzard blindly. Makes casual or intelligent conversation almost impossible since they are a radical Blizzard lovers

People like you also like to bash Blizzard and Diablo 3 (even though they plan on getting the game) and try to demand that the game be changed to their image.
    Quote from GladHeHasBeta

ecutruin +9000
    Quote from Adon

Quote from Nordicus

Wish we could, however some people like to butt into every conversations and spread the views of Blizzard blindly. Makes casual or intelligent conversation almost impossible since they are a radical Blizzard lovers.

What would you like to discuss about ?

Private duel games ? won't happen
    Private arena ? won't happen

then, what do you want to talk about next ?
    Quote from Adon

Quote from Nordicus

Wish we could, however some people like to butt into every conversations and spread the views of Blizzard blindly. Makes casual or intelligent conversation almost impossible since they are a radical Blizzard lovers..

Might be a weird question, but seeing as it's Blizzards game, with Blizzards design philosophies and Blizzards choices, isn't it a fair point to spread their point of views? Besides, you're posting on a fansite to a Blizzard game - You can't really expect to not run into those.

(Wow, that was alot of Blizzards in one statement!)
    Quote from ecutruin

Quote from Adon

Wish we could, however some people like to butt into every conversations and spread the views of Blizzard blindly. Makes casual or intelligent conversation almost impossible since they are a radical Blizzard lovers

People like you also like to bash Blizzard and Diablo 3 (even though they plan on getting the game) and try to demand that the game be changed to their image.

Woah woah woah, I am not demanding anything. I make suggestions as to what I would like to see. If it doesn't happen oh well I move on with my life. If it happens then great I am a happier person.

Quote from Gryzorz

Blizzard state that they are not against any pvp system as long as it stays casual-fun.
    Unfortunately, players will always try to push duels/private games to competitive levels, that's why they won't do it.

TL/DR (lol) :
    private arena or private duel games = open door to eSport = competitive PvP game emerging = competitive players asking for balance = 2 games to maintain, which is precisely what Blizzard doesn't want.

Yea I guess it is hard to ignore your customers..Blizzard has never done that before.

Quote from Gryzorz

Really? Cause from what I read it looks like it has a good possibility to being in the game?
    Quote from Adon

Quote from Gryzorz

Really? Cause from what I read it looks like it has a good possibility to being in the game?

Well,good luck with that then.

Just... You're asking people if they agree with your interpretation of Blizzard statements.

They don't.

Let's agree to disagree ?
    I do, do you ?
    Quote from Adon

You keep ignoring the Blue post that I specifically quoted. Blizzard stated that the player~base is a good reason to NOT add custom PvP games. So, no...I would not say it has a good possibility. I'd say it has a possibility, but its most likely last on the list to evaluate and probably won't make it into the initial launch of PvP.
    Quote from GladHeHasBeta

ecutruin +9000
    Quote from Adon

Quote from Gryzorz

TL/DR (lol) :

Yea I guess it is hard to ignore your customers..Blizzard has never done that before.

You ever thought your not blizzards only customer? Majority > minority
    Quote from ecutruin

Quote from Adon

You keep ignoring the Blue post that I specifically quoted. Blizzard stated that the player~base is a good reason to NOT add custom PvP games. So, no...I would not say it has a good possibility. I'd say it has a possibility, but its most likely last on the list to evaluate and probably won't make it into the initial launch of PvP.

Right and you seem to keep ignoring the post he made AFTER that fact that says "I meant no plans for duels before the PvP patch. It'll depend on if we can get custom matches implemented then."

Quote from Shadowslains

You ever thought your not blizzards only customer? Majority > minority

Right because we are asking oh so much. By the way, show me your statistics that say I am the minority buddy. Oh wait...you have none...and Blizzard has none too.. ? Shit...there goes that theory. Here is another one, Diablo is NOT a co-op game. It is a SOLO player game, with co-op tacked on.
    Quote from Adon

Right and you seem to keep ignoring the post he made AFTER that fact that says "I meant no plans for duels before the PvP patch. It'll depend on if we can get custom matches implemented then."

Except, in the post I quoted he wasn't talking about duels...he was talking about custom PvP games. The duels reference was referring to open~world duels being added before the PvP patch, it had nothing to do with if they implement custom PvP games or not. You failed to read in context it seems.

Quote from Adon

Right because we are asking oh so much. By the way, show me your statistics that say I am the minority buddy. Oh wait...you have none...and Blizzard has none too.. ? Shit...there goes that theory. Here is another one, Diablo is NOT a co-op game. It is a SOLO player game, with co-op tacked on.

Um...do you really need an example? Look a the majority of posts here. Diablofans is one of the most popular Diablo 3 fan~sites. Seems that if you weren't the minority, more people would be agreeing with you here. Wouldn't they?

As for Diablo 3 being a solo game, seems you're wrong. Blizzard has stated themselves that the focus of Diablo 3 is co~op.
    Quote from GladHeHasBeta

ecutruin +9000
    Quote from ecutruin

Quote from Adon

Except, in the post I quoted he wasn't talking about duels...he was talking about custom PvP games. The duels reference was referring to open~world duels being added before the PvP patch, it had nothing to do with if they implement custom PvP games or not. You failed to read in context it seems.

Quote from Adon

Um...do you really need an example? Look a the majority of posts here. Diablofans is one of the most popular Diablo 3 fan~sites. Seems that if you weren't the minority, more people would be agreeing with you here. Wouldn't they?

As for Diablo 3 being a solo game, seems you're wrong. Blizzard has stated themselves that the focus of Diablo 3 is co~op.

I didn't say anything about Diablo 3, I said DIABLO. As in the series. You guys all whine "Diablo is about PvM!". Well guess what, Diablo is a solo game first, with tacked on co-op. I can play that game too.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes