Bugged Furious charge skill killed my 60 inferno Barbarian

As mentioned in the title, Barbie the female level 60 barbarian died because her charge skill bugged, rendering her unable to move (while seemingly charging on the same spot) or use any skills while 10 mobs were attacking her.
    After two days of communicating with Blizzard Customer Support their final reply was that they can't restore hc characters even if they died from a game bug.
    Really is there any point in playing HC when there are so many ways one can die without it being their fault? I mean the game is full of glitches (invisible mobs, bugged skills and game server crashes to name a few) and Blizzard shows no understanding or respect to HC players.
    I am totally disappointed with the HC aspect of the game. I think i will turn to noobcore and maybe get back to HC after a lot of patches have improved the stability of the game. Or stop playing altogether for that matter...

Here are my posts and the replies from the GMs.

1)
    Earlier this evening (11/06/2012) at 18:54 local time (Greece) i lost my Hardcore Barbarian (Barbie level 60) in act 1 Inferno, while fighting some mobs due to a bug related to my Charge skill. More specifically my character was stuck charging (charging animation) but was remaining on the same spot. I was unable to move or use any of my skills and the only thing i could do was drink a potion while painfully watching my health pool empty. Needless to say after about 20 seconds of being hit while unable to fight back i died.
    I am utterly frustrated as to how i lost my character and request an immediate revival since it was by no means my or my connection's fault that led to Barbie's death. I will not take no for an answer and should you be unable to meet my request you can consider me a very unhappy ex-customer.
    Should you need any further information on my behalf please don't hesitate to contact me either in-game or by e-mail.
    Lefto

P.S i included a screenshot of the circumstances. Note that by the time a took the screenshot i had already been stuck for more than 10 seconds. Also note that even after the walls vanished i kept statically charging while unable to do anything. Though my guess is that the bug of the Charge skill is related to the Waller skill

2)
    Greetings,

As is mentioned on the notification that you get when you create a Hardcore character, we will not assist with the loss of Hardcore characters under any circumstances (provided your account wasn't compromised). While we can understand the frustration that this may cause, this is not a decision that was made lightly, and as such we cannot restore this character for you.

Regards,

Game Master Prynovarr
    Customer Services
    Blizzard Entertainment
    http://eu.blizzard.com/support

3)
    Dear Blizzard Customer Services,

Until now i was frustrated. Now i am simply furious by the automatic default answer you just pasted in my face regarding recovery of dead hardcore characters. At least you should have had the decency to pretend you tried to satisfy me as your very displeased customer. You seem to have missed the point that my character died because of your BUGGY game and the very least you can do to make amends for my whole frustration is revive my character, APOLOGIZE for the inconvenience and then apologize some more. This kind of behavior towards a loyal customer for over a decade is simply unacceptable!
    Tomorrow when i log in to my account i expect to find my character very much alive as well as a very very carefully manually written apologizing mail in my mailbox concerning specifically my case.
    Yours sincerely,
    Lefto

4)
    Greetings,

First of all, I would like to apologise on behalf of my colleague, the least he could have done was apologise for the trouble this has caused you. I understand that this is very uspetting for you to lose your hardcore character in this way, especially due to something like that.

However, unfortunately our answer does have to stay the same, due to the hardcore nature of the character, they cannot be restored for any reason, not even a bug. I have forwarded a bug report to our developers, and they will have it fixed as soon as it is possible to do so, but sadly that is all the assistance we can offer in this matter.

We apologise profusely for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Should you need assistance with anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us again, and we can look into it for you.

Game Master Anithreadith
    English Game Master Team
    Blizzard Europe

5)
    Dear Anithreadith,
    though i appreciate the tone of your reply i cannot accept this as your final or honest answer. Especially since both you and I know that dead hardcore characters can and have been revived in the past, albeit with the excuse of account compromise. So please refrain from feeding me lies and meet my reasonable and fair request or i am afraid this will have to turn into quite a thread in Diablo fora. I have utterly and totally lost the will to play the game due to the bug that caused my character's death and now more than ever after i have seen the kind of treatment paying customers get.
    Yours sincerely,
    Lefto

6)
    Greetings

You are receiving this message in response to the help petition which you submitted regarding a lost Hardcore character.

In regards to your ticket, I am very sorry to read that you have lost a hero due to a bug. the sad fact is as explained earlier in your replies, we are very sadly unable to restore hardcore characters. I am very sorry that this has happened and would urge you to discuss it in the forums, as it can only help the developers to see who else has come across such problems and help them to make the game a better playing experience.
    A friend of mine almost died to the same bug. We were 3 people in the game and he was stuck with a lot of mobs hitting him. Luckily we managed to kill all the mobs and he survived with <10% hp.
    I pretty much agree with what you said. This is a stupid way to die and totally destroys the gaming experience playing hardcore.
    Honestly, you all knew this when you created a hardcore character, that is unless you missed the huge warning popping up on screen clearly stating that Blizzard will never restore your HC character back from death no matter what.

This is the way it's been since D2, no matter if players died to game bugs, server lags, PK exploits or faulty game mechanics. Playing hardcore means you sign up for this. Don't like it? Don't play it.

You like the idea of hardcore, but not how it's handled? Well consider this: If Blizzard had a policy where they would restore HC characters back to life if they died outside of player control, they would simply have to hire a whole new department to be able to provide this service alone. They would have to investigate each individual death and probably reply to several emails/tickets back and forth from users, not to mention handle all the whine from players with legit deaths or complaints regarding differential treatment ("my friend got his character restored, so why can't I???).

Simply. Not. Doable.

Man up. Time to level!. ;)
    Quote from Acemore

Honestly, you all knew this when you created a hardcore character, that is unless you missed the huge warning popping up on screen clearly stating that Blizzard will never restore your HC character back from death no matter what.

This is the way it's been since D2, no matter if players died to game bugs, server lags, PK exploits or faulty game mechanics. Playing hardcore means you sign up for this. Don't like it? Don't play it.

You like the idea of hardcore, but not how it's handled? Well consider this: If Blizzard had a policy where they would restore HC characters back to life if they died outside of player control, they would simply have to hire a whole new department to be able to provide this service alone. They would have to investigate each individual death and probably reply to several emails/tickets back and forth from users, not to mention handle all the whine from players with legit deaths or complaints regarding differential treatment ("my friend got his character restored, so why can't I???).

Simply. Not. Doable.

No, actually when i created my hc char i didn't know i would die because of game bugs and that is really not what i signed up for. If the game is gonna offer a hardcore mode accompanied with a whole list of achievements etc. they better have ALL the resources necessary to back it up. Not really my problem if they would need a whole new department to sort our justified claims to false claims now, is it? Also like i mentioned in one of my replies we all know that dead hc chars have been restored with the excuse of account hacking. Now that doesn't make much sense does it? If a player is stupid enough to get his account hacked will be compansated, but if someone dies due to the faulty nature of the game itself they just have to live with it.
    My friend, it is a matter of principle and our right as paying customers to demand that which we deserve...
    And lastly, why the heck would i wanna level up a new char just so i can die out of a game glitch all over? Thanks but no thanks.
    If you can enjoy the game in softcore mode or in hc bug-death mode good for you. Just won't do for me
    Even if a GM entered the game and killed your char, you still accepted this statement:
    "Customer service will not restore your hardcore character for any reason."

Also, like Ace said, if the a restore option did exist: Handling all the cases would take an astronomical amount of time, simply because everyone would make a ticket just to try (possibly fake dc when they're in a bad spot to make it believable). I can see why Blizz makes people accept that statement. And this is coming from someone who lost dozens of D2 chars due to terrible EU Bnet conditions in 2001.

That said, dying like your char did sucks pretty bad, worse than d/c.

Alts: 60 DH; 60 Barb; 60 Wiz; 60 Monk; 52 Barb
    D3 HC Death compilations
    Blizz not restoring any char under ANY circumstance is old news. Not sure why you went QQing.
    This game being full of bugs that can get you killed is another old news. Its all over the forums, deal with it or give up on HC for the time being. (Which i could totally understand).

I started playing HC a few days ago and so far so good, but if shit happens, even though ill be pretty pissed for a while I wouldn't be able to whine because quite frankly, the chance that shit happens for a reason other than me screwing up is very real. And at this point no HC player can possibly ignore it.
    Quote from Kamiftw
    Blizz not restoring any char under ANY circumstance is old news. Not sure why you went QQing.

When you're creating a hardcore character you'll see this and agree with it.

Can't see how a bug is not "any circumstance".
    Hello everyone and thanks for your replies,
    I am quite aware of the fact that the permanent death agreement states "any" circumstances, however people keep in mind that if we wanna keep playing an ever improving game, we need to put as much pressure on Blizzard as we can so as to change things that make our playing experience bad. If we all just sit back and take all the bugs and glitches and problems as an unchangable fact, then guess what... things will never get any better. However if they need to spend more resources on customer support to listen to our whining or on their marketing department to overcome all the negative publicity which has arised by the daily increasing number or players who feel like Diablo 3 is an unfinished product, then in the end they will actually end up spending more on the actual development and we will play a better game.
    We gotta fight for our right to play a perfect game, especially since it is so expensive!
    Sorry but there's a difference between reporting bugs to make the game a little better and putting pressure on Blizzard ("I will not take no for an answer and should you be unable to meet my request you can consider me a very unhappy ex-customer.").
    Quote from Acemore

Simply. Not. Doable.

simply this. goodluck, maybe you will return when you rediscover the reason why you play hc :)

on a side note - may i ask if you played d2 classic hc or lod hc or hc ever? this is not a troll, its very interesting to me to know this :)
    Diii: Classix#2766; Daanlandjnr 60 baba Act2 Inf; DrDaanland 50 WD Act4 Hell; FApSsoso WZ Act1 Norm
    ~HardcoreClassic for Life ~~Clan LeFAp ~ HcC Europe since Beta Jul '96~
    GarGanTuaN highest d2 beta maul baba
    Supporter of GERBarb, first 99 char ever; Team player of GerMania first 99 sorc classic softcore 1.06
    jojo_LeFAp 93 necro HcC EU 1.08; jojojo_LeFAp 95 necro HcC EU 1.08; Daanland_LeFAp 94 s/s baba HcC EU 1.08
    u say u watched 20 secs until he died, why not logged out? 10 seconds, would be alive.
    not sure ive ever been stuck in a charge animation before... but i have on the other hand had my charge not move me but hit every mob around me quite frequently... which is why i use the cdr charge so if it does happen to me i can charge again shortly thereafter.

ive had several stupid deaths but hardcore makes the game much more fun even with the game's inheirent flaws. sure i feel suckered into a few skills and passives but at least im playin honest :P

just gotta play knowing internet or a bug could kill u at any second in hardcore... which makes it pretty hardcore the past couple days with the server lag XD
    Quote from Lefto

Quote from Acemore

Simply. Not. Doable.

No, actually when i created my hc char i didn't know i would die because of game bugs and that is really not what i signed up for. If the game is gonna offer a hardcore mode accompanied with a whole list of achievements etc. they better have ALL the resources necessary to back it up. Not really my problem if they would need a whole new department to sort our justified claims to false claims now, is it? Also like i mentioned in one of my replies we all know that dead hc chars have been restored with the excuse of account hacking. Now that doesn't make much sense does it? If a player is stupid enough to get his account hacked will be compansated, but if someone dies due to the faulty nature of the game itself they just have to live with it.
    My friend, it is a matter of principle and our right as paying customers to demand that which we deserve...
    And lastly, why the heck would i wanna level up a new char just so i can die out of a game glitch all over? Thanks but no thanks.
    If you can enjoy the game in softcore mode or in hc bug-death mode good for you. Just won't do for me

You sound exactly the same as many customers that i encounter in my work. What the hell does "..demand that which we deserve" mean? You knew AND agreed to something when you started heroic character and now you whine about it when you had bad luck? I most certainly understand that it is annoying, but still?

If you agree to HC terms you must also live with them.
    My sympathies, it sucks losing a hardcore character under any circumstance, but especially so when the fault didn't lie on your part.

However the terms regarding hardcore characters stands that they will not be revived for any reason (save for your account being compromised).

So just suck it up and get back into the game, you'll feel better.
    My sympathies, losing a 60 must be rough. My first hardcore barb just reached 44. Now that that's been said, you honestly expected them to revive your char? Come on man, they HAVE to have the "no revivals, period" policy. If they didn't, EVERYONE would expect to get their chars revived - after all, does it really matter if you die to lag or a bug? Either way, it's out of your hands. Barb up brah, and level again. :)
    Losing a char due to a bug, ISP, DC, whatever really infuriate me, but as Acemore has stated before, is part of the HC agreement.

You can also die due to your team scoring a goal, cat walking over keyboard, power shortage, etc.... that is part of HC too, and also will infuriate me if happens.

But, you can play HC and really enjoy game or go normal mode and just corpse run for 5 hours and kill everything, and honestly I rather get piss off and take a 2 days break after a bug than play brainless corpse run endlessly.

Cheer up mate and start level it again when you feel you're ready and don't forget to report the bug properly so in due time those will be solved.

Good luck.
    HARDCORE PROGRESSION
    Alive: Europa 59 W (ACT IV HELL)
    Halls of mourning: Europa 43 W - Andromeda 58 W - Luna 60 W (ACT II INFERNO)

Spanish Hamster Crazy Dude
    I am more pissed at general mob deaths like Arcane Waller Vortex fat bastereds in act3 and me being so stupid not to spot them in time and run then due to a DC/Bug/cat. All those things I cant do shit about and makes it easier to accept. Thats the Hardcore game. You know bugs exists and well as a HC player they could add more info of warning you for current bugs perhaps and give you the tip to read up a bit?
    Dieing to monsters as i stated at first pisses me more off cause i could actually done something about it :P

Anyways next time you get stuck logout ASAP and pray you last for longer then 10 seconds!
    Nasty way to go and good luck releveling :) shove a red gem in the head and get to it! :)
    Quote from Verowar

Anyways next time you get stuck logout ASAP and pray you last for longer then 10 seconds!
    Nasty way to go and good luck releveling :) shove a red gem in the head and get to it! :)

That is one of the best solutions, pop all defensive CDs you have and leave game as soon you get stuck, at least is something you can do.
    HARDCORE PROGRESSION
    Alive: Europa 59 W (ACT IV HELL)
    Halls of mourning: Europa 43 W - Andromeda 58 W - Luna 60 W (ACT II INFERNO)

Spanish Hamster Crazy Dude
    Quote from Parralhu

Quote from Verowar

That is one of the best solutions, pop all defensive CDs you have and leave game as soon you get stuck, at least is something you can do.

Hello guys and thanks for all the interest around my issue once more.
    First of all after my character's loss i had to go all through the 5 stages of grief;
    Denial -> couldn't accept the fact of an unjust permanent death
    Anger -> Angry tickets to Blizz
    Bargaining -> for any chance of revival
    Depression -> 2 really sad puppy days
    and finally Acceptance -> Leveling a new barb
    So i suppose that can explain some of the things i wrote.

Secondly, indeed had i logged out in time my character would have still probably been alive. However, at the time i was too shocked that my abilities weren't working that by the time i figured out what was going on, it was too late. And as to the nature of this bug the only thing you can do is drink a potion and log out. So no use all CDs and log :(
    Quote from Lefto

Quote from Parralhu

Quote from Verowar

Hello guys and thanks for all the interest around my issue once more.
    First of all after my character's loss i had to go all through the 5 stages of grief;
    Denial -> couldn't accept the fact of an unjust permanent death
    Anger -> Angry tickets to Blizz
    Bargaining -> for any chance of revival
    Depression -> 2 really sad puppy days
    and finally Acceptance -> Leveling a new barb
    So i suppose that can explain some of the things i wrote.

Secondly, indeed had i logged out in time my character would have still probably been alive. However, at the time i was too shocked that my abilities weren't working that by the time i figured out what was going on, it was too late. And as to the nature of this bug the only thing you can do is drink a potion and log out. So no use all CDs and log :(

I am certain I will go through the same when (i.e. not IF) my first HC char dies.

That said, I too think the "no revives" rule cannot be compromised for whatever reason.

So good luck with your new barb! I am sure he will benefit from you experience and the estate left over by your first barb.

All the best & good luck!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes