Community effort: Legendary Gem upgrading effects

With the latest PTR Patch, Legendary Gems can finally be acquired by players.
    If you find and manage to upgrade one (the appropriate artisan spawns after finishing a Greater Rift where you failed the timer), please post the upgrade's effect on your gem here, so that we can get a comprehensive list of exactly how strong each upgrade is.
    Also, if you could tell us which Greater Rift level you were on for the upgrade and how high your upgrade chance was, this would be greatly appreciated!

Legendary Gems are now enabled on the PTR! If you find any new functionality/bugs associated with them, post away!

Gems

• Keep in mind that the stats may not be final.
    • The projected Rank 50 values might also be wrong since their scaling may not be linear.

Bane of the Powerful

• Gain 30% increased damage for 20 seconds after killing an elite pack.
    • Upgrading increases duration by 2 seconds.
    • Total of 118 seconds at Rank 50
    • Rank 50 bonus: Increases damage against elites by 20%.

You need to kill the entire elite pack, including minions, to get it to proc. However, there seems to be a bug, sometimes preventing it to proc when killing a (blue) champion pack.

Bane of the Trapped

• Increase damage against enemies under the effect of control-impairing effects by 20.0%.
    • Upgrading increases damage bonus by 0.5%.
    • Total of 44.5% at Rank 50
    • Rank 50 bonus: Gain an aura that reduces movement speed of enemies within 12 yards by 30%.

Enforcer

• Increase Critical Hit Chance of your pets by 20%.
    • Upgrading increases pet Critical Hit Chance by 1.5%.
    • Total of 93.5% at Rank 50
    • Rank 50 bonus: Your pets are unkillable.

Gem of Efficacious Toxin

• Poison all enemies for 1000% weapon damage over 10 seconds.
    • Upgrading increases damage by 50%.
    • Total of 3450% at Rank 50
    • Rank 50 bonus: All enemies you poision take 10% increased damage from all sources.

Gogok of Swiftness

• 25.0% chance on hit to increase your Attack Speed by 2.0% for 2 seconds, stacking up to 10 times.
    • Upgrading increases proc chance by 1.5%.
    • Total of 98.5% at Rank 50
    • Rank 50 bonus: Also gain 2% Cooldown Reduction per stack.

Invigorating Gemstone

• While under any control-impairing effects, reduce all damage taken by 30%.
    • Upgrading increases damage reduction by ?%.
    • Rank 50 bonus: Heal for 20% of maximum life when hit by a control-impairing effect.

Mirinae, Teardrop of the Starweaver:

• 15% chance on hit to smite a nearby enemy for 1000% weapon damage as Holy.
    • Total of 3450% at Rank 50
    • Rank 50 bonus: Periodically smite a nearby enemy.

Affected by +Holy damage.
    The proc rate seems to be 100% right now but still abides to proc coefficients. There's also another bug where the proc one shots entire Champion packs if they have the Health Link affix.

Moratorium:

• 50% of all damage taken is instead staggered and dealt to you over 3.0 seconds.
    • Upgrading increases duration by 0.1 seconds.
    • Total of 7.9 seconds at Rank 50
    • Rank 50 bonus: 10% chance on kill to clear all staggered damage.

Will still stagger the damage prevented by Legendary Absorb Element amulets (Most likely a bug).

Pain Enhancer

• Critical hits cause the enemy to bleed for 500% weapon damage as Physical over 3 seconds.
    • Total of 2950% at Rank 50
    • Rank 50 bonus: Gain Blood Frenzy, greating you 2% increases Attack Speed for each bleeding enemy within 20 yards.

The bleed effect does not crit.

Simplicity's Strength

• Increase the damage of primary skills by 50%.
    • Upgrading increases damage bonus by 2%.
    • Total of 148% at Rank 50
    • Rank 50 bonus: Primary skills heal you for 2% of maximum health on hit.

Taeguk

• Gain 1% increased damage for 3 seconds after spending primary resource. This effect stacks up to 10 times. Gaining a stack refreshes all existing stacks.
    • Upgrading increases maximum stack size by 1.
    • Total of 59 stacks at Rank 50
    • Rank 50 bonus: Gain 1% increased armor for every stack.

Wreath of Lightning

• 15% chance on hit to gain a mini-Conduit buff, dealing 500% weapon damage as Lightning every second to nearby enemies for 3 seconds.
    • Total of 2950% at Rank 50
    • Rank 50 bonus: While under the effect of mini-Counduit, gain 25 increased movement speed.

Affected by +Lightning damage.

Zei's Stone of Vengeance

• Damage you deal is increased by 3.0% for every 10 yards between you and the enemy hit.
    • Upgrading increases damage bonus by 0.3%.
    • Total of 17.7% at Rank 50.
    • Rank 50 bonus: 30% chance on hit to Stun the enemy for 1 second.

• Legendary Gems are acquired from Greater Rift Guardians.
    • Currently, a Greater Rift Guardian will drop about 1.3 Legendary Gems each kill on average. The Rift Level does not seem to matter. It is quite likely that the drop rate is a lot higher than it will be once the patch is released, to allow people to acquire and test the Gems properly.
    • So far, all Legendary Gems I've seen or heard of dropping were dropped as Rank 1.
    • Currently, you can not find the same type of Legendary Gem twice on your account.

Upgrading

• Rift Level 01 - Upgrade chance 21%
    • Rift Level 17 - Upgrade chance 45% (1 single upgrade)
    • Rift Level 18 - Upgrade chance 46% (1 single upgrade)
    • Rift Level 19 - Upgrade chance 47% (1 triple upgrade)
    • Rift Level 20 - Upgrade chance 49% (1 double upgrade)
    • Rift Level 21 - Upgrade chance 50% (1 single upgrade)
    • Rift Level 22 - Upgrade chance 51% (1 single upgrade)
    • Rift Level 25 - Upgrade chance 55% (1 triple upgrade)
    • Rift Level 26 - Upgrade chance 56% (1 triple upgrade)
    • Rift Level 27 - Upgrade chance 57% (2 triple upgrades)
    • Rift Level 28 - Upgrade chance 58% (1 double upgrade)
    • Rift Level 29 - Upgrade chance 59% (1 single, 1 quadruple upgrades)
    • Rift Level 30 - Upgrade chance 60% (2 double upgrades)
    • Rift Level 31 - Upgrade chance 61% (1 single, 1 quadruple upgrades)
    • Rift Level 31 - Upgrade chance 62% (1 quadruple upgrade)
    • Rift Level 33 - Upgrade chance 63% (1 single, 1 double, 1 quadruple upgrades)
    • Rift Level 34 - Upgrade chance 64% (2 single upgrades)
    • Rfit Level 35 - Upgrade chance 65% (1 triple upgrade)
    • Rift Level 40 - Upgrade chance 70% (1 single upgrade)
    • Rift Level 41 - Upgrade chance 71% (1 double upgrade)
    • Rift Level 45 - Upgrade chance 75% (2 double, 1 triple upgrades)
    • Rift Level 50 - Upgrade chance 79% (1 single upgrade)
    • Rift Level 69 - Upgrade chance 93% (1 single upgrade)
    • Rift Level 100 - Upgrade chance 100% (1 double, 2 triple upgrades)

This is how the upgrading interface looks like:

• It displays and allows you to upgrade all the Legendary Gems in your inventory, already socketed into your gear or in your stash.
    • It does NOT display Gems on your Follower (likely to be fixed at some point), your other characters or on the ground!
    • The artisan to upgrade Gems, the Nephalem ghost Urshi, will spawn whenever you kill a Greater Rift Guardian AFTER the timer has run out.
    • Urshi will try to upgrade only one Gem exactly once every time she spawns, for free.
    • When an upgrade attempt is successful, the Gem will increase by at least one, possibly multiple levels (supposedly dependent on Greater Rift Level, no reported cases of it happening yet)
    • If you fail to upgrade a Gem, nothing will happen. You will not lose the Gem but you will not be able to attempt another upgrade in this Rift.
    Last edited by Angzt: 7/15/2014 1:51:10 AM
    Could you elaborate a bit on what these % number really means?

You have 46% to do what? To upgrade a gem? And if you fail, what happanes? Do you loose a gem? What is a cost of upgrading? Is it just gold? Can you try to upgrade more than once per artisain if fail/succeed?

I'm very curious how it works at this moment, and I'd appreciate any info on that matter.
    Quote from Instant
    Could you elaborate a bit on what these % number really means?

You have 46% to do what? To upgrade a gem? And if you fail, what happanes? Do you loose a gem? What is a cost of upgrading? Is it just gold? Can you try to upgrade more than once per artisain if fail/succeed?
    I'm very curious how it works at this moment, and I'd appreciate any info on that matter.

From what I'd heard, yes. The percent is the chance to successfully upgrade the gem a level.

Failed upgrades simply consume a small amount of gold and leave the gem unchanged.

No, you're limited to one upgrade attempt per artisan.

This makes GR token drops into a method of character advancement - run the GR until you fail the timer, maybe upgrade a gem for a better bonus and a step towards the secondary affix. Then run normal rifts to get a new GR token!

You have an X% chance to upgrade the Gem. You might upgrade it by more than one level in one succesful upgrade, depending on difficulty. If you fail the upgrade, nothing happens. You keep your gem.
    After trying to upgrade once, the option is greyed out and you can't try again until you get the artisan to spawn again.
    Upgrading costs nothing.
    It looks like you can choose socketed gems as well as those in your stash for upgrading too, as there's a completely new interface listing all the Legendary Gems you own when talking to the artisan.

Last edited by Angzt: 7/10/2014 3:51:45 AM
    Right!

Thank you very much for all the info. It works how I thought it's gonna work.

Just to clarify. By upgrading a socketed gems you meant changing it's tier to a higher one? Or by any chance you meant changing a socketed gem to a legendary one? :p

Ps. Good idea for community effort, I'm very curious what is the type of upgrade on each and every gem, and what are the final values. :)

The former. you can upgrade Legendary Gems in your gear to a higher Tier.

First: Thank you for doing this!

Q: Is there a limit to gem tier/level?

We don't know yet.
    As the PTR is kinda unstable at the moment, it is fairly hard to upgrade Gems at all (since you don't get a new GR token when disconnecting out of one), so it will take a while until people hit a possible limit, if there is one.

Rift level 35 ( 34 completed under 15, 35 failed ) : 65% upgrade chance , can't post info on my gem as my upgrade failed.
    Last edited by magier556: 7/10/2014 4:20:36 AM
    Quote from Angzt

Mhmm. I misunderstood you in your original post. I, for whatever reason, thought that you meant 'normal, non-legendary' gem as a socketed (which is ruby, topaz, etc).

Now i know you meant a legendary gem which is already socketed into your jewelery (which to be honest was a valid concern :p ).

As for a cap on upgrades. I think there was a post saying that they can be upgraded infinitely? Or am I just making things up? :o
    Quote from Instant

Quote from Angzt

Mhmm. I misunderstood you in your original post. I, for whatever reason, thought that you meant 'normal, non-legendary' gem as a socketed (which is ruby, topaz, etc).

Now i know you meant a legendary gem which is already socketed into your jewelery (which to be honest was a valid concern :p ).

As for a cap on upgrades. I think there was a post saying that they can be upgraded infinitely? Or am I just making things up? :o

How does that work on the pets Gem that gives Pets crit chance? You can't have more than 100% crit chance. :P

But yes, I also have a vague memory of reading a blue saying that they can be infinitely upgraded.
    Rift Level 34: Upgrade chance 64%.

Gem was Rank 1 (or do we call this 0)?
    Last edited by Nathadir: 7/10/2014 5:03:46 AM
    Bane of the Trapped: Increase damage against enemies under control-impairing effects by 20.0%.
    Upgrading increases damage bonus by0.5%.
    Please also post the level of the gem you are trying to upgrade with the upgrade chance. I guess the chance will be lower for higher lvl gems.
    I suspect rank 50 will be the max you can upgrade a gem...
    Those Who Do Not Know True Pain Cannot Possibly Understand True Peace...
    Quote from Shapookya
    Please also post the level of the gem you are trying to upgrade with the upgrade chance. I guess the chance will be lower for higher lvl gems.

Once I can get on PTR again, I'll check to see if the upgrade chance is lower for the gem I upgraded.
    Compared to the interesting community designed legendary gems that were floating around Blizzards gems seem rather uninspired.
    Quote from Kallizk

According to their patch preview:

The gist is that these gems are infinitely upgradeable, and provide special Legendary powers when socketed into the appropriate gear slot.

So I don't think level 50 will be the max, it'll probably just be harder to upgrade your gems the higher it goes.
    Wreath of Lightning seem to go up 50% per rank or maybe mine started at 550% dom

ps : sorry about the pic size, not really used to hosting ^^
    Quote from Zoen
    Quote from Kallizk

According to their patch preview:

The gist is that these gems are infinitely upgradeable, and provide special Legendary powers when socketed into the appropriate gear slot.

So I don't think level 50 will be the max, it'll probably just be harder to upgrade your gems the higher it goes.

I hope you are right, but they also said GRifts would be infinite and there are only 100 tiers, besides, we all know nothing is really infinite. :P
    Edit: also as some ppl have mentioned the pet crit gem caps @ 100% crit thus it's not infinite.
    Last edited by Kallizk: 7/10/2014 7:21:21 AM
    Those Who Do Not Know True Pain Cannot Possibly Understand True Peace...
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes