Why I am (not) buying the expansion

Oh, look! It's this thread again.
    Bandyto#2350
    EU
    This horses carcass is rotten and maggoty and people still want to beat it
    I think that if you change the tittle and type: "Why I am buying the expansion", the following text would make more sense..
    I'm not buying it because I disagree with no trading. Period. And I feel strongly enough about it that I will vote with my wallet.

It's not that I think 100% unmitigated trading doesn't have it's downsides, because it does. It's more that I completely disagree with the "well we can never balance it" line of bullshit that Josh has resorted to time after time. Every other ARPG of consequence has open trading so it's clearly not impossible. It's just that Blizzard doesn't want to do it. There's a huge difference between "can't" and "won't" and despite them continuing to say "we can't" in my heart I know it's a matter of "we won't."

And, for that, they just don't get my $40.

It's not really that I need to trade. But I need to see a big, triple-A studio trying to have middle-ground solutions that please as many people as possible and not swing from extreme to extreme (AH-fueled super-trading to next-to-no trading in the course of a single patch). That kind of extreme pendulum swinging just doesn't make me feel comfortable about the future of the game. I applaud them for being willing to go to extremes, but they had to know that there were better solutions to this problem (better item sinks, binding on stuff like enchant/transmorgify, etc.) which were completely missing in the "AH era" furthered by the fact that 99% of the items that dropped in vanilla were completely worthless which meant that GOOD items never, ever, had to be sacrificed for crafting purposes.

To act like it was *just* the AH (or just a function of trading) is simply not understanding the scope of the problem.
    p450 :: 92.2k EK :: 2.54m TK
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Definitely not getting it. The game is nothing but grinding, with very little interesting decisions or mechanics.
    I am getting it since the AH will be gone, Loot 2.0 makes great strides for gear and opens up more build opportunities. I feel RoS will do more for DIII than LoD did to DII, But then again DII did not need as much help as DIII.

I think it is mostly the people that were using DIII as a money earner are up in arms.
    Quote from Seedersj

Definitely not getting it. The game is nothing but grinding, with very little interesting decisions or mechanics.

Cool story bro, guess you didn't play the first 2 Diablo games.

Anyways back to topic...

I'll refer to my D2 days: I gave a friend a few high end items because it's the type of items he always dreamed of having in D2. yay for trade, then he quit a week later because he had nothing else to do. I gave a friend a bunch of scraps (low/mid tier uniques and sets), we'll in a matter of a couple of months he was better geared than me because all he did was trade. After that all he wanted to do was rune runs so he could trade more... yay fun. Okay well that same friend also sent some good items my way, you know the kind I could never find. It was awesome of amazing for about a day then everything became even more boring since I had nothing else to do except mess around in PvP.

TL;DR don't care that BOA high end legendary trading is gone, self found for the win.
    Playing Diablo since 97. I know nothing and having nothing good to say, I be a troll.
    How is AH a good thing anyways? The AH does not have a place in Diablo. You have to actually play to get the gear you want in a grinding game? *gasp*
    Im glad the AH is going. It will put everyone on a even playing field. I really feel now D3V is pay to win. With that being said I wish there was a better trading system in place, but no matter in still excited for most of the changes.
    Quote from Doez

I choose to salute people who don't think that investing a lot of play time in a video game should result in a financial kickback, especially botters or former botters. Can't wait for RoS to come out, take care sad pandas.

Another reason I love people. So easily and willing to mock someone. Agree to disagree, but we always praise the one who puts others down!

Agree to disagree. If someone wants to make some cash, what do I care? Espicially since it has no bearing on others.

Btw, no I do not do that myself. I want to play video games to have fun.

But all that is wrong in any society or any community... who cares! But blast them Damn fool for selling it mes to make money when it's part of the game!

Blizz, you made me do it! Lol :)
    Quote from damage424
    Quote from Doez

I choose to salute people who don't think that investing a lot of play time in a video game should result in a financial kickback, especially botters or former botters. Can't wait for RoS to come out, take care sad pandas.

Another reason I love people. So easily and willing to mock someone. Agree to disagree, but we always praise the one who puts others down!

Agree to disagree. If someone wants to make some cash, what do I care? Espicially since it has no bearing on others.

But all that is wrong in any society or any community... who cares! But blast them Damn fool for selling it mes to make money when it's part of the game!

But it does affect others. The platitude "what others do - does not affect me", is misleading. It's... remarkably close minded. Because what others want, what others do. Those things generate a response, and influence a result. Be it positive or negative. That basic idea has impacted our game greatly. For a quick and obvious example. The shutdown of the AH has various contributing factors but I believe that one of them is user feedback. Others have affected my game and the way I play. Inferno is too hard. Drops are too low. LS is too good. Blizzard reviews themselves of course, but feedback, user feedback also has a guiding hand in the process.

I cannot agree that others do not play a role in how I play the game.
    Quote from Detruncate
    Quote from damage424
    Quote from Doez

But it does affect others. The platitude "what others do - does not affect me", is misleading. It's... remarkably close minded. Because what others want, what others do. Those things generate a response, and influence a result. Be it positive or negative. That basic idea has impacted our game greatly. For a quick and obvious example. The shutdown of the AH has various contributing factors but I believe that one of them is user feedback. Others have affected my game and the way I play. Inferno is too hard. Drops are too low. LS is too good. Blizzard reviews themselves of course, but feedback, user feedback also has a guiding hand in the process.

I cannot agree that others do not play a role in how I play the game.

Very good points.
    I wish that one could see the account stats of the people posting here. This pretension combined with lack of knowledge is shocking; especially when it comes to Diablo II (Jamoose has stated it excellently in his last sentence of this post.) and Diablo III high-end farming.

Opinions are equal and just because one number is higher or lower than the other one, does not mean that this opinion is worth less but some posters - not only in this thread - behave like the enlightened ones. Without a doubt, Diablo III did not meet its expectations (I cannot measure it nor do I want to do it.) but I have the strange feeling that some critics have not experienced different phases of the game; e.g. release, overnight hotfixes (e.g. FA nerf), Paragon release etc.

There is nothing wrong in not witnessing specific phases of this game and no one is better because he witnessed specific events but the attitude of: "I think this, hear me! And I know it better! You disagree? you fool!" (more or less) is just annoying. E.g. I disagree with the post of Shaggy but he phrased it in a factual manner and I could not resist and gave him a +1. Yes, I know this is just a virtual thing but this modest style was refreshing. Shaggy, please excuse this sideswipe, but I hope you play RoS because I prefer sensible and sceptical players like you than immature naggers. ;)

TLDR: Modesty is not a weakness.
    Bandyto#2350
    EU
    What is the TL;DR on OP?

If is no trade = goodbye? If so, sad to hear you go.

To be honest I feel trading never fitted Diablo, I am more about finding the loot myself, but then again - I like playing solo as much as playing co-op.
    Last edited by Enkeria: 2/20/2014 4:48:41 PM

Swedish Official Fansite www.Diablo3pvp.se

Quote from shaggy

It's not really that I need to trade. But I need to see a big, triple-A studio trying to have middle-ground solutions that please as many people as possible and not swing from extreme to extreme (AH-fueled super-trading to next-to-no trading in the course of a single patch). That kind of extreme pendulum swinging just doesn't make me feel comfortable about the future of the game. I applaud them for being willing to go to extremes, but they had to know that there were better solutions to this problem

I'm sorry, but this game needed extremes by the god damn boatload.Across the board, sweeping extreme change on all points. The only aspects in D3 (IMO) that didn't need extreme measure would be the basic combat structure (superb, good enough to keep me coming back) graphics and sound.

If you dig hard enough, you'll find many posts by myself, pounding my chest over finding out that trading was being nixed. I quit the game for a few months and when I started playing again, I felt very differently regarding this 'no-trades' issue.

Having the realms filled with an untold amount predacious "players", whom do nothing more than monitor their 1 or 2 spare-rooms that are lined with PC's running bot programs, has an potent stink to it that we can all smell. I often wonder if D2 was so popular because it was so screwed and chopped with hacks, dupes and silly Mickey Mouse bullshit? Note; I didn't say "good", I said "popular".

Diablo 2's most serious issue was the fact that it was created in an era that didn't understand the extraordinary affect that the internet culture could have on an online game.

It's 2014, and now we have this, after IMO one of the most flawed and ill-conceived thought projects ever conceived aka the GAH/RMAH.

Blizzard had to pick a firm side. They had to come up with a "mode" or vehicle for trading, and the solution couldn't be somewhere in the middle. For the middle-ground is where the exploitation occurs. While reflecting on the game since launch, it occurred to me that the most fun I'd had playing the game was while with friends playing self-found. Trading items back and forth, giving them away, whatever. So for me, to be "forced" to play a particular "mode", this ain't a bad mode to have forced upon me.

"Forced" to trade with friends, oh noes.

The particulars of the game-play, skills, items etc are truly all that matters, and the thought that you'd run the risk of missing out on what could be a great gaming experience via Diablo 3....over $40 fuckin' dollars and some ill-begotten silent strike at corporate America by not buying a silly game.....I don't get it, brother. I don't get it. Fuck it. Buy it. If it sucks, have it specially crafted into fine 2-ply bathroom tissue so that you could at least wipe your ass with it.....and forget it. Who cares? Do you really?
    Last edited by ruksak: 2/20/2014 5:54:14 PM
    Quote from Seedersj

.....but that's what Diablo is about? Grinding? Mindlessly killing monsters?
    Bashiok - Blizzard Representative - 08/01/2011 -"So how many skill combinations are there now? Well taking into account 6 active skills, all the rune combinations, and 3 passives we currently expect each class to have roughly 2,285,814,795,264 different build combinations."

"Hey, I thought you'd like the witty irony of grub-on-glowie violence!"
    I agree with this. The old itemization which can roll 6 primary affixes just suck so bad. The answer was always Main stat, vit, AR, CHC, CHD, AS. It was so miserably boring. Now, especially the new affixes -- reduce cost or cooldown, these two are kick-ass, make the game has a totally different new experience.

Just throw your old things away and try the new things out. Not everything is about Critical hit in 2.0 anymore.
    Quote from Ducha
    Quote from Seedersj

.....but that's what Diablo is about? Grinding? Mindlessly killing monsters?

Mindlessly? Really?
    Last edited by Seedersj: 2/20/2014 10:34:32 PM
    Umm... yes? The first Diablo was all about entering a dungeon and killing everything you see. And Diablo 2 was all about killing Baal (or Countess, if you are searching for runes) as fast as possible, as much as possible.
    No one cares why you not buying the expansion please stop posting useless posts.

No man is sane who does not know how to be insane on proper occasions.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes