Nephalem Rifts

Last time i checked nephalem rifts were just a very simplistic version of PoE's map system. And by simplistic i mean the white maps you can find while farming. Is that still the case? I cannot find any information regarding this. I have read that tweaks are being worked on to make the reward structure better(giving the guardian blood shards and forgotten souls as drops), but is there any progress being made towards making the rifts a more enjoyable experience? Personally, i believe that for a company like blizzard, to simply copy a system from another game WITHOUT making significant improvements, to strip it of its enhancements and call it an incredible feature is just preposterous. I really hope i'm wrong, but the game is coming out soon and i don't see them showing any interest towards making the rifts better. The whole game should be fully randomized and yet, what they give us in return is a predictable and boring version of PoE's map system.
    Regarding what the OP mentioned, I think that there are a lot of things that ARPGs take from each other. The way I see it, video game development is a mix between personal innovations and iterating on what others produce. I think any good company would be foolish not to look at their competitors when determining the gaps in their product. They can see which pieces would work for the experience that they want to deliver to their users and which pieces need to be removed. Then they should customize it to be unique in their world. Who knows, maybe one of the changes they make will be seen by the competitor and integrated into their product as well.

On the top of the whole world being randomized, it's a common request that I see on this forum a lot and think it has merit. However, with RoS coming out, I would rather see the story advance, add some new content (such as bounties), add new skills, and have loot improved than sacrifice one of those things for an endless dungeon or a totally randomized map. Though, there is so much call for endless dungeon and additional randomization that not implementing them shortly after RoS is releases (3-6 months) would be a mistake on Blizzard's part.
    A ton of players ask for a specific feature that was implemented on two other very succesful ARPGs for months... complain the developers aren't listening...

Developers acknowledge the idea is nice, adds some little touches (like requiring bounties which encourage you to explore ALL the game's sidequests and maps), add new things (like the Rift guardians), create a specific UI, lore and reward-system and write all the code necessary to make that properly work...

Said players complain that the developer is "copy pasting" content...

Go figure -_-

So yeah, maybe Rifts are missing "deals crazy fire damage to you every second but give you 50% extra magic find", but let's be honest here. All that crap is very gimmicky. Not only does it take away most merit from the "normal maps" (nobody wants that crap when you can have the "magic" maps), but it also doesn't really make the combat more tactical or any less spammy in the game you mentioned. You're still either one shotting everything or being one shot 99% of the time. Gimmicky content like that is great for "fooling" your playerbase to think the game is overly complex (it's pretty much what 90%+ of D2 and Torchlight 2 were) but in the end, it's really just crappy and lazy game design.

That's how I personally see the issue you described, at least. It's possible I'm wrong about it, but I probably won't change my mind unless I hear some really good arguments.
    I find it very strange that so many people who have never set foot in a single bounty or rift already complain about it, being too boring and so on.
    So far I am not in the beta , doubt I will ever be with my luck :).

I think that rifts are going to be fun and the main attraction to RoS , this is where most of the players will want to spend their time in random dungeons with random mobs and great density of monsters to slaughter , Blizzard also mentioned that they want this feature to be the most rewarding.

I am looking forward to doing Rifts and Bounties but I believe that Rifts need more polishing , the idea of a rift having modifiers like in PoE is probably not going to ever happen because these modifiers don't belong in a Diablo 3 game , maybe in D2 but not in D3.
    Current issues with the rifts and why probably everybody thinks they are boring , is because they are all the same as in you get in a rift , kill mobs , spawn Guardian , kill it and leave , no incentive to push on to the deeper levels because it is not rewarding enough , after you kill the Guardian there won't be anything to keep you in the Rift , you will want to leave and either start a new Rift or go Bounty hunting to get a new key to start a new Rift.

They really need to address this issue , some Rifts have 10 levels and can be completed in the first 2 levels , they must implement something to make players want to push on til the end of each rift or atleast few levels deeper after the Guardian is dead.

Current issues with the rifts and why probably everybody thinks they are boring , is because they are all the same as in you get in a rift , kill mobs , spawn Guardian , kill it and leave , no incentive to push on to the deeper levels because it is not rewarding enough , after you kill the Guardian there won't be anything to keep you in the Rift

Actually the Riftboss is the most unrewarding enemy in the rift right now, people just kill him so that they can open the next rift. But tbh rifts arent rewarding at all. Havent got 1 legendary from a rift boss after doing 100 rifts or so.

Splitfarming expert on acts with bonus blood shard rewarding > all > rifts...

I wonder when they give us the hotfix :(
    Last edited by Koksii: 1/24/2014 2:23:48 AM
    Rifts are hardly rip-offs of PoE maps. For one thing they're not exclusive to the top 1% of players. You also can't customize them in the slightest. They're just random dungeons with random mobs. Pretty sure that's been around in games like this for a long time. If you think PoE invented the concept of the map system in the first place, well, I have to say that's pretty amusing.

They're also easily one of the best things about RoS once they get more tuning done on the rewards. Density is already incredible in them, most levels you're almost non stop fighting elites. They've also specifically stated that they're aware that rifts are currently not rewarding enough and have been actively improving them (forgotten souls are already hotfixed in). Once the new legendary drop rates are in they're quite likely going to become the best place to farm.

Blanket statements about a feature you've had no experience with make it very hard to take anything you say seriously.
    Last edited by ArcaneWeapon: 1/24/2014 2:36:11 AM
    Personally, i don't want nephalem rifts to be similar to PoE's maps because this is a different game which focuses on different things while staying true to the genre.

Loot runs are the same as nephalem rifts, and from what i've read, them being nephalem rifts is the reason they're RoS exclusive. That in and of itself is something that raises a few questions, at least from me. What are those changes that have been made to the rifts/ loot runs and how are they so significant that this feature is now expansion exclusive? There have been a few tweaks but that didn't change the concept or the way we play the rifts.

Another problem, but this is my own opinion, is that these rifts should change the way we play, always bringing something new to the table, either in terms of mechanics or gameplay. There have been numerous posts on how they can achieve that, by making keys have certain affixes like: spawns primarily elite monsters, bosses with increases drop rates, white monsters have 1 affix, 6-10 cursed chests spawn on every level of the rift etc. Ideas poured in, and they all posed a great opportunity to improve upon the idea of randomization and innovation. There's much we can do to make the rifts truly unique and worthy of their name
    I think Torchlight 2's version was better than what I've seen in the beta.

Quote from Zero(pS)

A ton of players ask for a specific feature that was implemented on two other very succesful ARPGs for months... complain the developers aren't listening...

Developers acknowledge the idea is nice, adds some little touches (like requiring bounties which encourage you to explore ALL the game's sidequests and maps), add new things (like the Rift guardians), create a specific UI, lore and reward-system and write all the code necessary to make that properly work...

Said players complain that the developer is "copy pasting" content...

Go figure -_-

So yeah, maybe Rifts are missing "deals crazy fire damage to you every second but give you 50% extra magic find", but let's be honest here. All that crap is very gimmicky. Not only does it take away most merit from the "normal maps" (nobody wants that crap when you can have the "magic" maps), but it also doesn't really make the combat more tactical or any less spammy in the game you mentioned. You're still either one shotting everything or being one shot 99% of the time. Gimmicky content like that is great for "fooling" your playerbase to think the game is overly complex (it's pretty much what 90%+ of D2 and Torchlight 2 were) but in the end, it's really just crappy and lazy game design.

That's how I personally see the issue you described, at least. It's possible I'm wrong about it, but I probably won't change my mind unless I hear some really good arguments.

I have to say I completely agree, gimmicks such as you mentioned wouldn't add any real value in my personal opinion. I actually really like how Rifts are right now (from what I've watched), and the tuning pass they just got in terms of better loot chances / blood shards / FS's is a nice addition.

I believe that ladders in some form WILL be added after launch, and possibly some challenges as well. I think those combined with how bounties / rifts are will really work well together.

Also, WTB more info on the whole devil's hand line that was put into the adventure mode description =D
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChB2_IPc-HVXbi0jS1Riljg
    ^ YouTube.Com/IceBleuGaming ! It's a thing! Check it oooout!
    Bleu,I think we had a blue post recently explaining that line (about Devil's Hand) was re-added to the newest patch by mistake, and that there's no big news regarding Devil's Hand. =/

Quote from Bleu42

Also, WTB more info on the whole devil's hand line that was put into the adventure mode description =D

Hell yes :p, I don't know why... but it sounds to me like a card game... Imagine it, farming the mobs, they drop the token you need, going back to the home city and playing a game of say... Texas Hold'em where all the betting is done with Bloodshards, or high end crafting mats or something.
    Blue post came out few days ago saying this is an error in the build and Devil's Hand was not suppose to be in the description. So far it seems like they aren't going to be in the game, at least not officially.
    Being a minigame in town is probably why it got canned.

We already spend too much time in town , I rather they give us a special legendary item to salvage/sell things while we go on with our farming runs(Exclusive feature for next expansion probably , sorry had to do it:P ) , I hate it when somebody in the middle of the run teleports out and spends few minutes in town to sell and salvage things , somebody always follows to clear his inventory too and it slows the pace too much.

We want more time killing , less time towning :).
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes