"Design a Legendary" Name Vote

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/12539722/design-a-legendary-part-5-choose-your-name-vote-1-23-2014

Guys, please vote. All of you. I just can't accept the fact that the most generic and lame name "Shard of Hate" is winning the vote.
    It's just like wanting to name a Diablo-themed legendary "Piece of Terror". Really.

I know that everybody has their own opinion, but I just can't accept it this time. Why the hell would anybody vote for "Shard of Hate" when there is "Sankekur's Sorrow"? Better ring to it. Lore reference. Non-generic name.

Please, help to turn this vote around!
    Pietrak#2537 - changed my battle.tag just for you ;P
    I have to say, Im a fan of Spine of the Father.

Edit: Lore wise Sankekurs Sorrow is the better name. Shard of Hate should be an item you need to use to make an event or something.
    Last edited by m80thewolf: 1/23/2014 4:39:14 PM
    I personally like the most and voted for Malevolence.
    I like Spine of the father as well. Too bad it wont win.
    I voted for Spine of the Father, but sadly the SUPER Generic Shard of Hate seems to be winning.

I don't REALLY care, as last time I checked the legendary power that people chose was the one my Crusader has ZERO use for, so if this Leg does drop I'll just shard the fucker :p

I voted for Spine of the Father, but sadly the SUPER Generic Shard of Hate seems to be winning.

I don't REALLY care, as last time I checked the legendary power that people chose was the one my Crusader has ZERO use for, so if this Leg does drop I'll just shard the fucker :p

So for you shard of hate seems like the right name :P
    I not only voted for Sankekur's Sorrow, but I also commented and told Blizzard to veto Shard of Hate if it wins.

Quote from Talyn_Rahl »

I think you mean Brimstone...or I suppose, if it's a level 70 version, maybe you'll get a Forgotten Soul...you'll "FS" it perhaps. ;-)
    Pre AH-shutdown Transcendence/Spirit (Re)gen build, uses only found and crafted gear and gems, can handle MP7.

So for you shard of hate seems like the right name :P

an excellent point ;) although Shard of Fail would probably work too :p

Quote from CardinalMDM»
    I think you mean Brimstone...or I suppose, if it's a level 70 version, maybe you'll get a Forgotten Soul...you'll "FS" it perhaps. ;-)

Hmmm that works rather well... "FS it" it fits, I mean after all when I saw the legendary power and name my first thought WAS "Well Fuck that Shit"

Quote from CardinalMDM»

Hmmm that works rather well... "FS it" it fits, I mean after all when I saw the legendary power and name my first thought WAS "Well Fuck that Shit"

Can't entirely disagree. The voted on power that seemed to win in the end was that elemental damage proc that gives you a free Charged Bolt, Poison Nova or Freezing Skull. All I kept thinking when I saw that was what Travis was saying on the Twizzcast, and how he was shooting down suggestions that Archon and Flux had given to them because the devs wanted to think bigger and make something that was gameplay changing, and not just some damage proc...and the vote ended up being for a stupid damage effect...hilarious.

Now it looks like the name's going to be screwed, too. Is there literally any chance in the world that these votes were totally messed with and swayed by disgruntled morons, and the community isn't actually THAT lacking in creativity and intelligence that they'd actually want to be represented by the "Shard of Hate" that has a lame damage effect? Any possibility at all?
    Last edited by CardinalMDM: 1/24/2014 12:38:30 PM
    Pre AH-shutdown Transcendence/Spirit (Re)gen build, uses only found and crafted gear and gems, can handle MP7.
    This "legendary" is going to be transmog fodder...

Sword won the vote for weapon type. Okay, cool. 5 outta 6 classes might actually seek it out.

Then Mephisto won the theme for the sword. Hrmm. Ah... hmm. Ok? I don't know why Mephisto would have a sword or even be connected to a sword in any way. The soulstones aren't big enough to be swords, they'd have to be a dagger... I'm just not getting the connection on this one.

After that, the spell proc won for the affix... WHY? Now, the classes that might use it has been knocked down to about 2 outta 6, Wizard and WD. I mean really? Out of the powers there were to choose from, we go with more lame passive procs.... that hardly anyone has the right elemental damage types for them to proc from? Good job...

And hey while we're lamin' it out, let's name it something REALLY lame... like, how about uh... The Shard. Yeah! The Shard of what... uh... The Shard of Hate!! Yeah, cool man! Really cool.

Only thing I'm looking forward to with this item is what it's going to look like. At least the art team will get something right with this "legendary". >_>

This "legendary" is going to be transmog fodder...

Sword won the vote for weapon type. Okay, cool. 5 outta 6 classes might actually seek it out.

Then Mephisto won the theme for the sword. Hrmm. Ah... hmm. Ok? I don't know why Mephisto would have a sword or even be connected to a sword in any way. The soulstones aren't big enough to be swords, they'd have to be a dagger... I'm just not getting the connection on this one.

After that, the spell proc won for the affix... WHY? Now, the classes that might use it has been knocked down to about 2 outta 6, Wizard and WD. I mean really? Out of the powers there were to choose from, we go with more lame passive procs.... that hardly anyone has the right elemental damage types for them to proc from? Good job...

And hey while we're lamin' it out, let's name it something REALLY lame... like, how about uh... The Shard. Yeah! The Shard of what... uh... The Shard of Hate!! Yeah, cool man! Really cool.

Only thing I'm looking forward to with this item is what it's going to look like. At least the art team will get something right with this "legendary". >_>

I'm afraid I have to agree on most of your points.
    If really the spell procs get through then it will mean that it will require "+% elemental damage" items to proc the legendary passive. I don't know how many of those are in RoS.
    The Shard of Generic Lameness is still winning the vote. Unfortunately...
    About the "why Mephisto has a sword" it's really simple - perhaps it is a sword that Mephisto once used in the Eternal Conflict, perhaps it was created by the corrupted Zakarum priests, perhaps somebody gathered the earthly remains of Mephisto's body after he was killed and reforged them into a sword.

You know what is the lesson for us in this? Blizzard should never again ask the community so specific questions. The community votes should have ended on weapon type and theme.
    I saw the poll and voted before I saw this thread.

I actually cringed when I saw 'Shard of Hate' in the list. I understand the origins of it and why people would be tempted, but I agree with the points here. It's just a little too cliché.

Didn't realise the results of the legendary power poll were in. The other options seemed a little dull IMO, but do love spell procs (stacking them on a strafe-a-zon in D2 with max IAS was my favourite character to play :D).

I don't see the limitations of this weapon as badly as some. While it is spells that proc, the procs are stated to happen from elemental attacks. I read that as any elemental damage type on a weapon or part of a skill. Theoretically, a monk with a cold damage weapon in one hand, a poison damage weapon in the other and using Fists of Thunder skill will proc ALL of the abilities just fine.

However, I like the idea of using this weapon on a wizard with the elemental exposure passive already, although I'd also be tempted to try one out on a monk or frenzy build barb for multiple proc destruction.
    "It takes a man with real heart...to make beauty out of the stuff that makes us weep." - Clive Barker
    Anyone else kinda hope that the weapon can roll + Poison/Frost/Lightning damage?

It WOULD help for all the classes that can't currently use it, due to lacking the damage types for the proc.
    Lmao I voted for shard of hate. Fits mephisto, its a unique name without being difficult to pronounce or remeber, and I think it's cool :D
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChB2_IPc-HVXbi0jS1Riljg
    ^ YouTube.Com/IceBleuGaming ! It's a thing! Check it oooout!

Theoretically, a monk with a cold damage weapon in one hand, a poison damage weapon in the other and using Fists of Thunder skill will proc ALL of the abilities just fine.

The theoretical monk would need to have 3 arms, because how else do you want to have a poison damage weapon in one hand, a cold damage weapon in the other and still proc the legendary effect of a sword?
    People are so retarded that vote Spine of Hate or the Father thing. Rancor is the only good Name on the list, the others are way to generic!

Lmao I voted for shard of hate. Fits mephisto, its a unique name without being difficult to pronounce or remeber, and I think it's cool :D

Damn you evil being!
    Make your peace...Quickly!

Theoretically, a monk with a cold damage weapon in one hand, a poison damage weapon in the other and using Fists of Thunder skill will proc ALL of the abilities just fine.

The theoretical monk would need to have 3 arms, because how else do you want to have a poison damage weapon in one hand, a cold damage weapon in the other and still proc the legendary effect of a sword?

Depends entirely if the as yet unamed legendary can roll with elemental affixes, I thought that assumption was made clear since Diablo isn't a game where you can equip swords in the head slot (maybe they should do something about that...). Given the Mephisto tie-in, I think it would be a shame (and a surprise) if it didn't roll with either poison, lightning or cold damage built in (or even a random chance for one of the three). My gut is leaning towards cold damage base affix, so theoretical monk would need a poison based off hand and to strike with his lightning damage skill to have a chance of all three procs.
    "It takes a man with real heart...to make beauty out of the stuff that makes us weep." - Clive Barker

People are so retarded that vote Spine of Hate or the Father thing. Rancor is the only good Name on the list, the others are way to generic!

Good to see you pop up, you always have great things to say lol
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChB2_IPc-HVXbi0jS1Riljg
    ^ YouTube.Com/IceBleuGaming ! It's a thing! Check it oooout!

Depends entirely if the as yet unamed legendary can roll with elemental affixes, I thought that assumption was made clear since Diablo isn't a game where you can equip swords in the head slot (maybe they should do something about that...). Given the Mephisto tie-in, I think it would be a shame (and a surprise) if it didn't roll with either poison, lightning or cold damage built in (or even a random chance for one of the three). My gut is leaning towards cold damage base affix, so theoretical monk would need a poison based off hand and to strike with his lightning damage skill to have a chance of all three procs.

That would mean that the new legendary would be self triggered, which isn't the best item design when you have 3 triggers but trigger only 1. My bet is that it will always roll with black damage and will require specific skills/items to squeeze everything from it.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes