BOA's purpose is bullshit

I find itvery weird that they haven't given any response on what are their thoughts on implementing something liketrading with clan for 2 hours (or trade with Friends List when the item dropped).

I thought they said that as long as a person is on your friend list, you could still gift an item, regardless if 2 hours have passed or not.

Where did you hear this? This is my main concern because my son and i play. I play when hes in bed sometimes so i would love to be able to still give him something i found the next day.

I only read diablofans news about diablo3 so I might have heard it here somewhere in a blue post.

But I'm not 100% sure, it's just what I recall reading a while ago.
    “Strike the shepherd and the sheep will scatter”
    I don't know if the designers realize that the loop:

"kill monsters > get loot > kill more monsters > get more loot "

Is not working in the current Beta/PTR. You kill monsters to get loot to kill tougher monsters which give you the same loot in the same quantities.
    Pietrak#2537 - changed my battle.tag just for you ;P

Does anyone else read these anti-BOA threads and posts and just hear AH Tycoons desperately trying to find anything to cling to to protect their ability to sell items?

Maybe but what I always read (and as you can read in the OP) is that people don't want to play the game for a long time. Don't want to play until I get the items I want but just trade for them to get over with the game asap. Don't want to play the game again with another character but trade for items because it's too much busy work to play that much.

Seriously, if you people don't want to play the game, just don't play it. If BOA is such a downer for you because you have to actually play the game for a decent amount instead of just knowing the right persons and have enough gold/ real money to trade, don't play the itemhunt. If you don't want to play, just stop and be finished with the game. It seems like people don't remember back then when people could actually farm inferno and sold lots of good items in the AH. Everybody complained that the game is too short, too easy and so on. Now they implement something that it won't happen again and everybody complains that it will take too much time to finish the game so that they can move on.
    Not going to be a popular post, but I'll say it anyway: I see a lot of people complaining that they won't be able to boost their friends as easily so they can play together. It seems to me that if you just want to play together, it shouldn't matter what difficulty you're on, so if you need to go back down to their level that shouldn't be a problem. If you want to get them to point that they can play on the higher difficulties with you, then, frankly, that SHOULD be harder to do. I don't think it's that big of a problem that people need to work to get up to the higher tiers of the game. Of course you should be allowed to help them get there, but that doesn't mean you should be able to just give them a bunch of free gear to get them there instantly.

Does anyone else read these anti-BOA threads and posts and just hear AH Tycoons desperately trying to find anything to cling to to protect their ability to sell items?

Maybe but what I always read (and as you can read in the OP) is that people don't want to play the game for a long time. Don't want to play until I get the items I want but just trade for them to get over with the game asap. Don't want to play the game again with another character but trade for items because it's too much busy work to play that much.

Seriously, if you people don't want to play the game, just don't play it. If BOA is such a downer for you because you have to actually play the game for a decent amount instead of just knowing the right persons and have enough gold/ real money to trade, don't play the itemhunt. If you don't want to play, just stop and be finished with the game. It seems like people don't remember back then when people could actually farm inferno and sold lots of good items in the AH. Everybody complained that the game is too short, too easy and so on. Now they implement something that it won't happen again and everybody complains that it will take too much time to finish the game so that they can move on.

Implementing BOA is simply lazy. The developer has no idea what games want. Trading is big for any multi-player game. I don't understand why is it a problem for them to trade. If I have ok gears and found an BIS gear for a slot, I should able to trade it for a few piece of above average gears so I can upgrade my over characters. Now with BOA, since the BIS gear I found only upgrade 1 slot, my character is still average instead I can trade and make my character above average.
    I think OP and some people need to give BOA a chance and see how it pans out. If its "bullshit" they will most likely change it.

Yeah, the balance reeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaally seems difficult to reach perfectly in terms of JUST drop rates. Either they're too high or they're too low. And then, of course, you have the issue where people feel like the only important items in the game are legendaries and set items. I get that those two things are very desirable, however the major fact that people continue to ignore, when BEGGING for drop rates to be higher...is that if OP legendaries and set items have a drop rate that's too high, items below that tier become double and triple as unimportant and ignored as they are now.

If legendaries hardly every drop, they become bonuses to playing, extra sources of power that are actually RARE, but change things up on the off chance they appear. And magic and rare items still have reasonable amounts of importance via crafting. People are spending so much time worrying that they can't hand their friend an OP legendary that can turn the game from a struggle into a faceroll...yet they don't care that Rares are still completely tradeable, giveable, giftable, free to save for friends, and fairly easy to both craft at the Blacksmith or Enchant at the Mystic.

Honestly, I don't anticipate finding a ton of legendaries when I jump into Reaper of Souls. I do, however, anticipate that I'll be farming up lots of Veiled Crystals, Arcane Dust, Common Debris and gold so I can craft and Enchant as much as I want. And that should keep me plenty busy until I get some powerful enough legendaries, however long that'll be.

Besides, in the updates, most of the legendaries that are really desirable are the ones that have really awesome special effects, not necessarily the ones that have great stats. Meaning, if a character only has one or two legendaries, it's entirely feasible that those pieces could be upgraded or sidegraded by a useful enough Rare. Which, in case people are also ignoring that fact...is entirely how it should be. Legendaries and set items are all awesome, and should absolutely be the endgame gear model. But assuming that rares won't be overtaking them is a mistake.

In regard to Gambling, as people have brought up...I think the reason Blizzard and the devs are okay with encouraging Gambling via Blood Shards is because more often than not you have to kill monsters and complete objectives (i.e., play the game) in order to acquire those items to gamble with. So while it seems like Gambling circumvents the "kill monsters > get loot" model...it just adds another step or two. "kill monsters > get shards > get loot". Not all that much different really.

To the subject at hand...the intended purpose behind BoA is anything but bullshit. Can it have negative effects? Sure. It already is having them, and if it means taking BoA away and letting people trade freely to get people playing en masse, I'm fine with it. But I support the intentions behind it. I'd love to see 3rd party trading get its hands tied.
    Pre AH-shutdown Transcendence/Spirit (Re)gen build, uses only found and crafted gear and gems, can handle MP7.

No, it's not bullshit. And I'm glad they finally admitted that their main concern was third party website trading (instead of the initial excuses). Apparently they don't wantany pay to win in the game anymore, and quite frankly, BoA is the only way that was going to happen.

The dealbreaker for me is going to be how sometimes, when playing with some friends, you could be saving gear for them (specially in those cases where you can't be online at the same time), and pulling each other up every time you find something nice.

But instead we're gonna be stuck with the whole "he has to be IN the game for me to give him an item that he wants and that I want to give him, so we can play a higher difficulty together". That's probably the biggest letdown of BoA to me, and I find itvery weird that they haven't given any response on what are their thoughts on implementing something liketrading with clan for 2 hours (or trade with Friends List when the item dropped).

Very much agreed. What if there was a system where: For up to two hours after a legendary drops, you could select up to 1-5 friends to "reserve" it for. Allowing you to trade it with those selected FEW friend players indefinitely.

Wouldn't that deal with 3rd party trading while also completely allowing trading with a several friends to still exist?
    Can we have a sub-forum for QQ?
    Bandyto#2350
    EU

^this.

Very much agreed. What if there was a system where: For up to two hours after a legendary drops, you could select up to 1-5 friends to "reserve" it for. Allowing you to trade it with those selected FEW friend players indefinitely.

Wouldn't that deal with 3rd party trading while also completely allowing trading with a several friends to still exist?

That's a great idea.

Also, OP, just because you can't grasp something doesn't make it bullshit.
    Last edited by Dimebog: 1/21/2014 12:00:24 PM

Honestly, I don't anticipate finding a ton of legendaries when I jump into Reaper of Souls. I do, however, anticipate that I'll be farming up lots of Veiled Crystals, Arcane Dust, Common Debris and gold so I can craft and Enchant as much as I want. And that should keep me plenty busy until I get some powerful enough legendaries, however long that'll be.

Wouldn't you like to feel that you have a chance of actually completing that set it's taken you 1000 hours to find 2 bits of though?
    I really like how the game is in PTR, much better than the live version. I just hope they do not get super crazy with massive amounts of monsters. The latest patch added just a tad too many for my taste since I do like to use single target skills and only use limited amount of AoE.

I do like BoA since that will hopefully ease the third party sites gold/item tradings and the other aspects of that shady bunch of entrepreneurs.

The longer you play of course you are not going to find as many upgrades or sidegrades for other builds.

In the PTR I have switched mostly to Rares and some crafted Rares since the few Uniques did not fit my build plans, They were nice but I liked the Rares more. I think the main issue is that many players think that only Uniques and Set items should be good and be best in Slot. Too me they should be more of a special bonus item, great if you have one but no game breaker if you do not.

Diablo 1 had very low chance for getting Uniques except for some of the special Uniques. I never played online in DI or ever played the expansion for it. Quite often the end gear were just magic items with a few other bonus gear. Diablo II Uniques were still kind of rare unless you farmed bosses. I did not like that method too much and that's when I started to play mods for DII since many of them altered the gear and most of them made all item types viable and also most of them made the game more difficult as well. Farming in those mods were quite awesome and to some overwhelming, since there were multiple ways to get gear to upgrade and gold finding builds were common as well.
    They are still tweaking data and numbers, so chances are high that they will increase the drop rate. That doesn't mean people shouldn't voice their concerns on the forums, just that they should be patient and continue to constructively provide criticism. Saying that BoA is bullshit is, imo, a narrow view on a BETA version of the game and doesn't show a lot of reflection to the goals of the game or the developers. No offense meant - just trying to be honest.

But let me ask this question - at what point is the drop rate too much? I highly encourage people to read threads from other folks in the community about their views of the console version of D3V. It was exciting at first and then large amounts of players complained that they got too many legendary items and that there was no sense of "progression." If that's true, then be careful what you ask for.

Quote from RasAlgethi24 »
    Yes. I'm not against the BoA model. But to make it work they need to retune the current drop rate and reward system. It's just completely unrewarding right now.
    I hate BoA, but I think that it *is* possible for them to deliver a fun experience despite that. What worries me most is that they just have not done that thusfar. I don't view the PTR experience as any significant forward progress from the vanilla experience (at least in terms of the item hunt). What's limiting them is this "kill monsters > get loot > kill monsters > get loot is the only way to have fun" mantra. Yes, killing monsters IS fun. But don't pidgeon-hole the game into being nothing more than killing monsters.

Make a good game. Stop trying to eliminate 3rd party sites, stop trying to get everyone to play exactly the same way. Just make a good game. That's all they have to do.
    66.0k elite kills :: 1.97m total kills :: p244
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)

Not going to be a popular post, but I'll say it anyway: I see a lot of people complaining that they won't be able to boost their friends as easily so they can play together. It seems to me that if you just want to play together, it shouldn't matter what difficulty you're on, so if you need to go back down to their level that shouldn't be a problem. If you want to get them to point that they can play on the higher difficulties with you, then, frankly, that SHOULD be harder to do. I don't think it's that big of a problem that people need to work to get up to the higher tiers of the game. Of course you should be allowed to help them get there, but that doesn't mean you should be able to just give them a bunch of free gear to get them there instantly.

That's how I feel about it. I think being able to share items in the same game is a pretty good compromise. If you want to boost a friend, that's fine - you just actually have to play with them to do it. You can't just do it passively by handing off your drops. In a game that has a level cap like D3, such that a fresh level 70 can instantly put on any gear that's rated level 70 regardless of how long it took to find, I don't think this is an unfair restriction.

Based on my own PTR experience, I will say that I do think the drop rates for legendaries are too low, and that with BoA in place they certainly have room to improve it without much negative repercussion.

I hate BoA, but I think that it *is* possible for them to deliver a fun experience despite that. What worries me most is that they just have not done that thusfar. I don't view the PTR experience as any significant forward progress from the vanilla experience (at least in terms of the item hunt). What's limiting them is this "kill monsters > get loot > kill monsters > get loot is the only way to have fun" mantra. Yes, killing monsters IS fun. But don't pidgeon-hole the game into being nothing more than killing monsters.

Make a good game. Stop trying to eliminate 3rd party sites, stop trying to get everyone to play exactly the same way. Just make a good game. That's all they have to do.

I agree with you completely. If any negative criticism I have of RoS, it would fall in the realm of they don't do enough with Rifts/Bounties/Events to make it rewarding.

I'm a crafting buff and I personally feel the developers are overlooking this aspect a little too much. They have a great foundation set already in Rifts and Rift Bosses. I would love to see more unique crafting mats, legendary recipes and harder to find materials that can allow you to craft a great set of gear. Enchanting is a great start, but its still too limited. I guess a bit of the MMO influence wouldn't hurt in this case. Enchanting as it is now is just a reroll of numbers. I'd rather see an Enchantress that you have to find rare and powerful enchants that she can provide to your gear for a high materials cost and that takes time to accumulate.

They need to provide more than just the mantra of kill monsters = get loot.
    If the auction house was taken out to encourage trading and add more to the social experience, then isn't adding boa go against that? Doesn't make sense to me. Either way boa or not I don't really care I play solo anyways. Also I don't get why it would matter if someone wants to sell what they find or not. How does it effect you personally? Botting? There was a lot of that going on and it didn't effect me at all. If it wasn't brought up then I would never been able to tell. Scamming for items and accounts? Don't know never fell for that just like in life if somethings to good to be true or seems shady you don't do it. If you download programs and get a tojan/keylogger it's your own fault because you probably knew you shouldn't have done that anyway. Just like in D2 with maphack.

Locking 3rd-party spammers/botters and traders out of the game, de-emphasizing gold and getting people out of the AH and back into the game is bullshit? I do not wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

I would like to see some means of insulating people from bad luck, as that was (arguably) the only good use for the AH. Perhaps a +LegFind buff that increases with every elite kill? Although I'm not sure reasonable discussion about actual issues belongs in this thread.

Wouldn't you like to feel that you have a chance of actually completing that set it's taken you 1000 hours to find 2 bits of though?
    I would like to feel that I have a chance to complete that set, of course. However, if I never complete that set, I'll still be able to enjoy the game.

We've seen so much coverage of how amazing Set bonuses are going to be, and how insane some legendaries are going to be, that it seems like that's all people care about. And if they don't find every piece of some set, or if they don't get some one single special legendary, they can't enjoy the game.

For me...I want to make my characters awesome, and one of the things that makes Reaper of Souls great is that even if you're not finding lots of high end legendary or set drops, you at least have access to Paragon Points to (re)allocate and the Mystic for Enchanting. I can still make a really awesome build without insane legendaries.

I love high end items as much as the next guy. But my enjoyment of this game will not held back simply because I'm not getting the best of the best around every corner. Which, truthfully, only makes those drops and items even better when they do happen, because they'll be even more unexpected.
    Pre AH-shutdown Transcendence/Spirit (Re)gen build, uses only found and crafted gear and gems, can handle MP7.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes