RoS - Overpriced in EU?

Am I alone in feeling that RoS in EU is way too overpriced? It's an expansion of a game which will no longer give you the ability to make that money back while at the same time it's ~33% more expensive in EU compared to the US.

>.<
    I think its the "Tax" that makes it so overpriced. Its higher in Europe than it is in US i believe. Not sure though :)

Same price than WoW X and SC2 X. So no.
    I don't know guys I think£24 isn't overpriced... I'm going to buy the Delux Edition which is£40

Quote from Nordic Gamer

I think its the "Tax" that makes it so overpriced. Its higher in Europe than it is in US i believe. Not sure though :)

It's not the tax, it's the stupid "currency equivalence" that companies apply; as if $1=€1. It's bullshit.
    when you finally get a date for release official you think itsoverpriced? why? because its an expansion and not an actual "new" game? not in this case since this will change d3 to a whole new game as you casuals wanted it except the trade it seems and now you dont want to pay for it? fine by me, dont buy it but then dont bitch about it either. all the time you have or will put down to this game might be the only game that you will ever put time to for only 40euro.

greedy community, you are the worst.
    What's this to do with greed? I'll buy it for 59 EUR, don't care too much. But it's just not fair that we pay 33% more (or even way more, if it's an Apple product) just because companies always do 1 USD = 1 EUR. And no, it's not just tax. Even after including tax, it's still quite a bit more expensive.
    The always lovely currency equivalence.
    Eur 39 seems to be the standard price for expansion packs in Europe. So no, it is not overpriced.

As for the price difference with the US, don't forget that US prices are indeed before tax, while in the EU on average you have 20% taxes on top of the sales price. So more than half of the higher EU price is indeed due to taxes.

Now, the sad part is when you look at Switzerland. We pay the same EU price despite the taxes being much lower. That's life...
    My monk Vin

Quote from thundersteele

Eur 39 seems to be the standard price for expansion packs in Europe. So no, it is not overpriced.

You are completely wrong. It is not the standard for consumers and was also not the standard before the introduction of the EURO but companies have started to sell their expansions at this price several years ago. Ergo it is overpriced. Luckily, I have pre-ordered my key a few months ago for 29EUR.
    Bandyto#2350
    EU
    "I can buy stuff easily for 40euro or even 60euro and waste it in an instand but i cant pay for an expansion that I will put down time into" I see it like a night out with the boys, except i skip one and buy the Deluxe edition and feel good many days after.

Quote from joacimmvp

"I can buy stuff easily for 40euro or even 60euro and waste it in an instand but i cant pay for an expansion that I will put down time into" I see it like a night out with the boys, except i skip one and buy the Deluxe edition and feel good many days after.

That's pretty much the way I see it myself (with the exception of easily spending 40 euro) but the main issue is the completely arbitrary currency equivalence as mentioned by other fellas here. It's not like all of Europe is rich so we should pay more. In fact many countries in EU struggle with their economies and finding myself deep within an economic crisis, I do think it's insulting/provoking that I will have to pay more than others for absolutely no reason at all.
    I'm not an economist, but the comparison seems inappropriate to me.

For the most part, I would think that Europeans are paid in euros and generally do their shopping in euros, and the market price gets set in euros based on what people in Europe are willing to pay. Meanwhile, Americans are paid in USD, do their shopping in USD, and the market price gets set in USD based on what people in America are willing to pay. The fact that the conversion rate means that a dollar is not equal to a euro doesn't factor in.

I mean, it's not like you guys are getting paid in USD, then being forced to convert to euros and the pay the 39 euro price tag (... are you?)/

Or maybe it's just all those language packs they need to make for you guys.
    A) Currency exchange. The dollar kind of sucks atm.

B) Your government's taxes, which increase the price, so it's not Blizzard jacking up the prices.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChB2_IPc-HVXbi0jS1Riljg
    ^ YouTube.Com/IceBleuGaming ! It's a thing! Check it oooout!
    Quote from thundersteele

Now, the sad part is when you look at Switzerland. We pay the same EU price despite the taxes being much lower. That's life...

Quote from daisychopper

I'm not an economist, but the comparison seems inappropriate to me.

For the most part, I would think that Europeans are paid in euros and generally do their shopping in euros, and the market price gets set in euros based on what people in Europe are willing to pay. Meanwhile, Americans are paid in USD, do their shopping in USD, and the market price gets set in USD based on what people in America are willing to pay. The fact that the conversion rate means that a dollar is not equal to a euro doesn't factor in.

I mean, it's not like you guys are getting paid in USD, then being forced to convert to euros and the pay the 39 euro price tag (... are you?)/

Or maybe it's just all those language packs they need to make for you guys.

The thing is, you can't generalize "Europe". 60 Euros aint't that much for someone from Switzerland. @thundersteele: let's be honest, if prices were adjusted to the average costs of living, RoS would be more like 100 or even 200 bucks over here. But then, there are places in Europe that pay in Euros and 60 Euros are a lot over there.

There are places in Europe where you'd get 50 beers for the price of one RoS CE copy. In Zurich you wouldn't even get 10...

But across the board, it's just not fair. It's been like that for every game in the past, by the way. Still doesn't make it right.
    Last edited by Bagstone: 12/19/2013 1:03:26 PM

Quote from Bagstone

The thing is, you can't generalize "Europe". 60 Euros aint't that much for someone from Switzerland. @thundersteele: let's be honest, if prices were adjusted to the average costs of living, RoS would be more like 100 or even 200 bucks over here. But then, there are places in Europe that pay in Euros and 60 Euros are a lot over there.

There are places in Europe where you'd get 50 beers for the price of one RoS CE copy. In Zurich you wouldn't even get 10...

But across the board, it's just not fair. It's been like that for every game in the past, by the way. Still doesn't make it right.

Well no - if you're talking about the currency, then you can generalize all of Europe. That's sorta the point of having one currency. And just because people in some areas make more than in others, doesn't mean that the people who don't make as much are being overcharged.

In that way, it's the same in America. I can buy dinner and drinks for a week in some places for the same amount of money it would cost for one meal in others. It doesn't mean that people in rural Kentucky are being overcharged for RoS.
    Last edited by daisychopper: 12/19/2013 1:12:24 PM
    Oops, Dark Souls 2 black edition retail is cheaper. I think i know which one i'll buy.

Quote from daisychopper

I'm not an economist

you should have left it at that :) I don't mean to be snide (like our friend Kulle would have said) but if you have no idea what you are posting about, it's better not to post at all imo
    Is there a work-around for this?
    I used to buy premium time for MMO. When I chose payments methods I could chose to pay in euro instead of swedish crowns. That would save me 10% or something. Maybe buying a key from g2play or cdkeyhouse could save me some too? I'll have to investigate further.

g2play (site that sells keys for cheaper prices) have a holiday special on RoS pre-order:
    https://www.g2play.net/store/Diablo-3-Reaper-of-Souls-Expansion-BattleNet-Key-PC-MAC.html

I live in Europe, Sweden and I save around 33% from this method vs buying it from blizzard for 40 euros...
    Last edited by Elendiro: 12/19/2013 1:36:14 PM
    Make your peace...Quickly!
    blizzard always take more in their own webshop for some reason. remember that.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes