Incentive to play RoS (about BoA)

Quote from Doorsfan

From my understanding - people saying "This game is about finding items", is simply put exactly that.

finding items thathave any value to you, if u find a perfect windforce, you will be very excited about it, if a week after ull find a perfect -1 stat windforce, at the very least ull be 'oh well, ill put it on one of my merc', there wont be any diffrence in finding almost perfect windforce in expansion and finding 1000 dps one now, that you could've get for 10k gold
    you wont be excited about any item after 2 months of non-casual play, thats kinda granted

Quote from Doorsfan

Also, you are not being demonized nor is anyone flaming you to hell because you like trading. People are simply telling you that this game genre doesn't make a very awesome fit with Trading in a major way - due to just how the game actually works.
    (...)
    Now wether you cope with that change - is your call. But as far as i can tell, still, no-one in this thread literally jumped you and remotely insulted you because you like trading. At most they disagreed with you. Which is not a insult. At all.

ohh, you got it totally wrong, i understand my posts are 'bit' to long and it might be hard to see what real emphasis of author was but by all means, i dont feel insulted or demonized - the only think (i think) i mentioned about that was general attitude of ppl on diffrent forums towards the subject, doesnt have anything to do with me as a person, its just disturbing to see ppl are in moods like that

even if someone were to insult me, it wouldnt rly matter, beed to long on the internet to pay any attention

Quote from akse

I played D2 from release in 2000 to 2005 very actively, after that every now and then. And the time I spent trading was like 1%..

Most of the time I just farmed exp with my characters and while doing that I found better and better items.

In D2 you didn't need that much to do the end game even solo in 8 players. So you could just enter the end game and get good loot while leveling your characters.Trading wasn't very neccessary in that game. In D3 you are stuck in Mp 0 for a long time if you don't use AH.

Looks like in RoS you don't need to do much trading and AH to succeed in more difficult settings.

and it was very diffrent way to play than mine with very diffrent goals and yet... how valid and enjoyable - and they didnt have to ban trading to achieve that ? ... insane

Quote from Shad3slayer

If you trade 99% of the time, you're doing it wrong. What's the point? You get awesome gear so you can *not play* further? You get upgrades so you can wear them while trading? I mean, really, why don't you just go play the WoW AH? And I'm sure there are plenty more economies for you to explore.

- pvp in d2 as a goal, i mentioned before i think
    - wow ah - bad example (to those who havent played, if wow type ah were to be introduced in d3, it would be only for crafting materials, blue items, dyes and vanity items - think that should clear it)
    - there arent many good, suitable mmo 'economies'm there are poe and eve... and thats about it
    Quote from daisychopper

I did not say trading was easy, I asked you if you thought it was easy. I was getting at your personal motivation for wanting trading to be an option.

well... if you put it that way - i think doing 1000 pindle runs is bit easier than bartering, searching for offers and dealing with (often questionable) people
    but i think you still rather wanted to ask what was more enjoyable to me, which for obvious reasons was trading as i said

Quote from daisychopper

Either way, they are severely limiting trading because it's the only way they can give legendaries a reasonable drop rate while still making players actually play the game to get them. Same reason they have Bind on Pickup in WoW - otherwise, people who played the game a lot would just farm out dungeons and players could gear up without ever actually playing the content.

i dont want legendaries to drop at reasonable rate tbh, ill play 1 month and then stop
    there is other way to make legendaries drop at reasonable rate (or maybe better to say it frankly console- loot shower overhyped rate) - just make a single player mode with 500% improved drops, put back open battle.net so u can play with friends and allow open battle.net acounts to be in same clans as closed b.net ones for more social aspect (chatting with more ppl is fun?)

so far it looks kinda grim for me, or maybe i shouldnt use such words (bit to old to put so much weight to game, even if favourite one)and just say its 'sad', i instantly dropped single player diablo when i first got into closed battlenet - now, after more than 10 years, they want me to go back to single player game (with online only for lulz)
    i will most likely buy the game for the guilds feature, check out how does it feel to chat with all those grizzled veterans that i used to plya, chat and argue with and most likely it will end with me either not logging at all after around 1-2 months or just getting in to chat a bit...
    Quote from estereth

i dont want legendaries to drop at reasonable rate tbh, ill play 1 month and then stop
    there is other way to make legendaries drop at reasonable rate (or maybe better to say it frankly console- loot shower overhyped rate) - just make a single player mode with 500% improved drops, put back open battle.net so u can play with friends and allow open battle.net acounts to be in same clans as closed b.net ones for more social aspect (chatting with more ppl is fun?)

Then, as I said previously, it sounds like this just isn't the game for you then. It's a dungeon crawler, not a trading game. The social aspect should be dungeon crawling, not trading. And, what's important, is that the dungeon crawler aspects should not be diminished in order to support trading. If BoA can make the dungeon crawl better, then trading shouldn't hold it back.

It might be an interesting twist to have items only bind during the ladder seasons, though. I think I'll start a separate thread and see what people think of that.
    Quote from daisychopper

Then, as I said previously, it sounds like this just isn't the game for you then. It's a dungeon crawler, not a trading game. The social aspect should be dungeon crawling, not trading. And, what's important, is that the dungeon crawler aspects should not be diminished in order to support trading. If BoA can make the dungeon crawl better, then trading shouldn't hold it back.

It might be an interesting twist to have items only bind during the ladder seasons, though. I think I'll start a separate thread and see what people think of that.

and im not denying that game is no longer appealing to me, just dont understand why would they just remove one of the bigger elements instead of trying to balance it so it would worked well (and they were on the 'good' way) - dungeon crawling getting diminished by trade is just a catchphrase and more of an excuse to not having a clue how to fit it, i would much preffer them to say that they were proud how well console was received and they want to copy the model to pc as their goal so i can just put my middle finger up instead of wondering...

your ladder idea is reasonable one it would be fine in a sense that its highlighting the differences that there supposed to be between 2 modes (i.e. not possible to buy ladder gear for non-ladder, more work required from player himself to achieve top results)
    Quote from daisychopper

If BoA can make the dungeon crawl better, then trading shouldn't hold it back.

I don't disagree with the other things you said, but I have yet to see a good reason as to why this ^^ would be the case.
    It's interesting how they changed from AH/RMAH -> no even trading bro, sorry.

Speaking of black or white...
    Quote from Indimix

It's interesting how they changed from AH/RMAH -> no even trading bro, sorry.

Speaking of black or white...

That's pretty much how it had to be. Any other option is basically an open invitation to all manner of gray-market bullshit.
    Quote from estereth

Quote from Doorsfan

From my understanding - people saying "This game is about finding items", is simply put exactly that.

finding items thathave any value to you, if u find a perfect windforce, you will be very excited about it, if a week after ull find a perfect -1 stat windforce, at the very least ull be 'oh well, ill put it on one of my merc', there wont be any diffrence in finding almost perfect windforce in expansion and finding 1000 dps one now, that you could've get for 10k gold
    you wont be excited about any item after 2 months of non-casual play, thats kinda granted

Given the effects of legendaries, how many there are - and how many different builds that seemingly will become viable with the right tuning.. Then it's not granted at all that you will find your perfect stuff after 1 week.

Also, you can't compare the loot philosophy of d2 with the upcoming RoS changes. I suggest you look into the legendaries and what they actually are going to do - just as friendly advice, given that i personally was also skeptical to this game before i saw their actual effects and what they do.

It just really is a very larger overhaul of the whole earlier thought of "Get stats, more stats - then you're done". It'll be much more about what fits into your build so you can get to do thoose numbers - but in a cooler way then just saying "Crit/Crit dmg - done"
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CrazyPoochification - Let's Play of Eastern Sun/Other stuff
    For me, aslong as the gear is interesting i'm all for BoA. If I find a set item from say the barb earthquake set then i'll gain the incentive to play and collect the whole set because i'll want to try it out (which imo is far my fulfilling than just buying the set of AH), that's a pretty core requirement though i'll have no incentive in simply trying to find a weapon with 10 more numbers than my current one like how d3 works atm. I need the items to be unique and the goal to be creating a whole new play style once I have all the gear required to do it, without this it'll die quickly for me.

On the bring back trading front, it's a difficult one I mean sure it worked in d2 before people really knew how to use the internet to it's full potential and the player base was a great deal smaller yet now I mean how rare must an item be for there not to be thousands of them found on day 1 when uve got millions of people playing? BoA has been brought in because it means drop rates can be reduced to an amount where u actually find something useful after playing for a few hours unlike now where ull find nothing, although this does pretty much make this a single player game and thus how on earth they are justifying the "always online" requirement is beyond me :P
    there will be more viable builds in ros, some very interesting ones (thorns set), some less (1h tr monk with ring), which doesnt change the fact that there are many viable builds in d3 now which... again doesnt change the fact that everyone plays wotb barb because op
    most will whine anyway that certain item wont drop for a build they want (cause they saw video of someone crushing everything with it and want to min/max), it also takes team much larger that what they got to balance it properly, as you probably figured out, if something trumps every other build, diversity stops being fun/relevant to most ppl

tbh i dont know if the paragraph i just wrote has much to do with the topic but not much more to write anyway so doesnt rly matter
    Quote from Serpenth
    Everyone understands why Blizzard doesn't want trading (fear of third party sites, blah blah) however I don't really care if a third party economy exists.

Fighting such sites can be exhausting, they will adapt to any space Blizzard leaves untouched. Don't know what Blizzard defines as victory against 3rd pt shops, is 1/2 or 2/3 sites closed enough, or is it all. If it comes to last option, it'll soon be BoA on any item on pickup. Just because shop sites can shift their focus to other services faster than Blizzard can respond and there is high possibility that that 2 hour window will be abused.

I'm only hoping that Blizzard brings forth idea from outside of the box, because current solution won't fix their problem. Which pisses me off, I liked to farm gear and trade it for stuff that I actually needed in D2. I was looking forward to do both again in D3, but unfortunetaly AH ruined that experience for me and now they're trying to completely rip trading.

I personally trade only between strangers not between friends that I know, I either give or loan items for free for friends. And that 2 hour window probably won't be enough to find buyer for non-bis item after months. :/

(I will still buy it and play it for while with friends until it gets boring. Hoping they will turn their heads before or after release.)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes