Blizzard says it was wrong to allow offline play in Diablo II

Quote from maka

Quote from ruksak

Quote from Mini641

I really loved the D2 mod scene so it kind of bothers me when Blizzard says D2 offline was a mistake. I think maybe they should have held their tongue because a lot of people really loved playing offline and with mods. Also third party programs like the one sthat let you share stash space were awesome.

Like i said, they should just stop talking about D2 because they are coming off like they dont like the game at all. Its just bad PR in general.
    It's important to note; The same avenues that made mods possible is exactly what made hero-editors, pic-it, insta TP'ing and a hundred other game-breaking hacks that spoiled the fun for many online.

You can't point out the good without pointing out the bad.

Your post reminds me of a very nice quote by your own Ben Franklin....

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

That quote?
    Please read the community guidelines on Trolling & Flaming before you create a new thread just to complain... http://www.diablofans.com/forums/diablo-iii-general-forums/diablo-iii-general-discussion/75118-forum-guidelines-8-19-2012
    Quote from Thornagol

Quote from maka

Quote from ruksak

Quote from Mini641

I really loved the D2 mod scene so it kind of bothers me when Blizzard says D2 offline was a mistake. I think maybe they should have held their tongue because a lot of people really loved playing offline and with mods. Also third party programs like the one sthat let you share stash space were awesome.

Like i said, they should just stop talking about D2 because they are coming off like they dont like the game at all. Its just bad PR in general.
    It's important to note; The same avenues that made mods possible is exactly what made hero-editors, pic-it, insta TP'ing and a hundred other game-breaking hacks that spoiled the fun for many online.

That quote?

Haha nice one, supporting arguments and proving points with quotes is too cheesy to be taken seriously.
    Make your peace...Quickly!
    Quote from Thornagol

Quote from maka

Quote from ruksak

Quote from Mini641

That quote?

That's actually not a real quote, but if you wanna be a massive bellend........carry on.
    Quote from elvy

Blizzard guy had better explain why consoles get the offline treatment if it's THAT bad for the game. Did they just not care about ruining the console experience? Or... Funny how that works, huh.

For what it's worth, the guy in the Blizzard article is saying the problem was having an online mode that was separate from the offline mode, because it segregated online characters from offline characters. On the console version, every character can play online or offline, as the player chooses.
    Quote from fixD3

Clearly everyone hear loves to ignore the fact that Blizzard made Diablo 3 for PS3 and 360 which have seamless transition between offline and online for the same character.

Yeah they made that game too, and they don't give a rats ass about hex editing or duping.

Blizzard hypocrites. And maybe change the name of this site to diablofanboys.com if you're going to continually ignore all the facts.

I'm a big believer in the idea that treating a child like an adult encourages them to grow up, so here goes:

1. Blizzard had to use first-party infrastructure rather than their own, so just gave up and just made the console version p2p, which means it's basically the same as the PC version in that a 'single player' is just a one-person multiplayer game, so there's actually no transition to be made between 'online' and 'offline'... it's the same code running off the same character data. The difference is that on PC, that code and data is on their servers, not our computers. It also makes it impossible to guarantee character integrity.

2. The console version was designed to be much more of a short-burn experience, because console-jockeys tend to be fine with much shorter shelf-life for their games than the PC Master Race, so any potential short-circuiting of the BIS-hunt wasn't such a big deal, and with no AH, duped and hacked items could only propagate to the incautious or outright willing rather instantly being available to the entire community.

... and at the risk of pointing out the breathtakingly obvious, the site is called www.diablofans.com, because, you know, girls are allowed.
    ...but rarely sighted!!! :)
    On topic : Yes, they have lost it. For a while now.

Quote from ruksak

Well they had closed Bnet for keeping out all those lil tools. It's normal that people will abuse the savegames if they can have them on their own harddrive. No reason against offline mode though. Blizzard knew that this will come, just as they knew it when they released the console versions of D3.

Also, as much as I hate to do this yet again... What Maka said ( quote ) ^^
    quoted myself :D

can delete this post
    Diablo 3 Hardcore: 60 Demon Hunter 60(7) Barb
    RIP:50 Demon Hunter 60 (5) Barb
    Quote from Vulmio

Quote from Slayerviper

...k people are still complaining about no offline mode? They don't want to loose money, deal with it move on

/thread

Yes, online only is just an anti-piracy measure, they (and every other video game brand using this) should just stop pretending otherwise.

It is also an anti cheat measure.

Offline mode wouldn't be enough for people, they would also want LAN gaming. Lan gaming means you would have the serverside also on the game client. Now you only have Client side and the server side is securely at blizzard.

Also much of the information in the game comes from the servers. Like loots and monster spawnings etc. Harder to hack looting system when you only receive information from the server and not generate the item itself on the client side.

Sure, but only if they can provide the servers and connectiviy for it...EU servers were unplayable for WEEKS with lagspikes over 5000...they fixed it a couple of weeks ago but it still is laggy as hell

Thats BS.. it was unplayable the first day because you couldn't log in. After that it was 98% of the time fine for me.
    Diablo 3 Hardcore: 60 Demon Hunter 60(7) Barb
    RIP:50 Demon Hunter 60 (5) Barb
    my opinion:

D2 online only would have been a mistake. Reason: availability of internet

D3 online only is right. Reason: less game files revealed to reduce cheats
    I apologize for any formating issues in my posts, I just can't use the new editor.Currently playing Magic 2014, see my thread:http://www.diablofans.com/topic/97565-magic-2014/
    Also, if you like Classics, try:Dungeons and Dragons Anthology ( http://www.gamersgat...ster-collection )
    I agree with him about the annoyance, but they should have given us a one-time option to transfer, rather than attack offline play by itself. Back then, I didn't have broadband, so I had to balance dial-up bandwidth between the ever-so-flimsy Battle.net. Disconnects were frequent and completely random. Today, broadband is so common that I can't imagine playing offline. There's no reason not to have it (power outages, bad weather, etc), but I would like the choice.
    Quote from Solmyr77

D2 was very much online though, and a huge success while we are at it. If i remember correctly it was the start of battlenet.
    Blizzard will say whatever they have to say to try to justify their DRM.
    Quote from Twoflower

Quote from Solmyr77

D2 was very much online though, and a huge success while we are at it. If i remember correctly it was the start of battlenet.

Didn't say otherwise, though battle.net should have been around since StarCraft. I said, having the offline option for D2 was important because not even flat rates were the norm back then.
    I apologize for any formating issues in my posts, I just can't use the new editor.Currently playing Magic 2014, see my thread:http://www.diablofans.com/topic/97565-magic-2014/
    Also, if you like Classics, try:Dungeons and Dragons Anthology ( http://www.gamersgat...ster-collection )
    Quote from Solmyr77

Quote from Twoflower

Quote from Solmyr77

Didn't say otherwise, though battle.net should have been around since StarCraft. I said, having the offline option for D2 was important because not even flat rates were the norm back then.

Battle.net started with Diablo and Starcraft, and WC2 got a bnet update at some point.
    Back in the days of Diablo 2 an online mode would have never worked. Today, online requirement it the only option in my opinion.

Official Diablo Fansite since 1998
    if offline was wrong, then the game wouldnt be such a HUGE success
    Quote from akse

It is also an anti cheat measure.

I'm well aware of the "benefits" of DRM, but all in all the main reason why it was created and used it reduce lost sales. I don't care how you slice it or say how good it is for player protection it is a tool that protects their investment anything else is secondary and used for PR fluff. Believe me I love the fact that there is no to little duping anymore. The main point is you can still cheat in D3, however you need to purchase a copy of the game to play and every time you get caught you need to purchase another copy.

Honestly I don't care about DRM, gone are the days of LAN, that’s what consoles are for now.
    Playing Diablo since 97. I know nothing and having nothing good to say, I be a troll.
    I miss offline mode and really wish D3 would have had it because I would have probably played that almost as more as the online mode. Luckily I have console version but still miss playing Diablo offline on the computer.
    www.myspace.com/mpotatoes for all your Trans Siberian Orchestra listening pleasure
    If you want to arrange it
    This world you can change it
    If we could somehow make this
    Christmas thing last

By helping a neighbor
    Or even a stranger
    And to know who needs help
    You need only just ask

Quote from daisychopper

Quote from elvy

Blizzard guy had better explain why consoles get the offline treatment if it's THAT bad for the game. Did they just not care about ruining the console experience? Or... Funny how that works, huh.

For what it's worth, the guy in the Blizzard article is saying the problem was having an online mode that was separate from the offline mode, because it segregated online characters from offline characters. On the console version, every character can play online or offline, as the player chooses.

Fair point, but then we'd have to talk about hardcore and softcore segregation, which translates to the same exact thing (clueless newbies without the ability to play in each other's games). Obviously, segregation is a non issue.

So yeah, still not buying it.

I don't understand the need to go to such lengths to promote DRM though. Most people get that it's good for the company's coffers and they either don't mind that much or are even supportive, even though it's a decision that affects good customers in the name of targeting the bad ones. And it's not like a competitor is going to suddenly veer away from DRM. So what's the rush to get on the moral high horse ~_~ /kindaofftopic
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes