Blizzard says it was wrong to allow offline play in Diablo II

What is going on with Blizzard? Are they just sick of hearing about D2? I think they finally lost it.

Here's the article where Blizzard puts its foot in its mouth.

http://www.pcgamer.c...y-in-diablo-ii/

"I don’t think people necessarily remember how mad they themselves were that they had an offline mode and online mode in Diablo II," Martens said. "This will probably be controversial for me to say. People will be like, 'I wasn’t mad!' But I was there at the time, and then I studied this for a living. It sucks when your friend or brother is online and he wants to join this game, but you realize you’re an offline character and he’s an online character, and there’s no way to transfer over because offline characters can be hacked and hex-edited to hell and back, right?"

Original RPS interview

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/13/blizzard-talks-diablo-iiis-new-path-defends-online-req/#more-175898
    Quote from Mini641

What is going on with Blizzard? Are they just sick of hearing about D2? I think they finally lost it.

"I don’t think people necessarily remember how mad they themselves were that they had an offline mode and online mode in Diablo II," Martens said. "This will probably be controversial for me to say. People will be like, 'I wasn’t mad!' But I was there at the time, and then I studied this for a living. It sucks when your friend or brother is online and he wants to join this game, but you realize you’re an offline character and he’s an online character, and there’s no way to transfer over because offline characters can be hacked and hex-edited to hell and back, right?"

Original RPS interview

http://www.rockpaper...eq/#more-175898

Well personally I only played online... Simply because I didn't think there was much reason to play offline compared to online. And tbh. I don't care in the slightest for an offline mode for D3.
    Quote from Mini641

Original RPS interview

http://www.rockpaper...eq/#more-175898

While I'm sure this situation happened to some people, I think even then most people understood the difference between online and offline characters. And while it sucks to not be able to play online with someone if you've been playing single player only, that's not really a good enough reason to take away the choice.

Granted, there ARE other reasons, but the article makes it sound like that's the only reason. I doubt that's what Kevin is implying.
    The real reason with the safety of the game and how existance of offline mode may make the game easier to hack , make it absolutely crackable (which would potentially make blizzard lose millions) and other exploitable things you can do with offline mode its damn long epxlanation that they are unlikely to go into in an interview.
    Yeah, they lost it. Also Nephalem Trials have been scrapped. I'm starting to fear the worst.
    ...k people are still complaining about no offline mode? They don't want to loose money, deal with it move on

/thread
    Playing Diablo since 97. I know nothing and having nothing good to say, I be a troll.
    Quote from Slayerviper

...k people are still complaining about no offline mode? They don't want to loose money, deal with it move on

/thread

Yes, online only is just an anti-piracy measure, they (and every other video game brand using this) should just stop pretending otherwise.
    Back in the 90's I could understand if games were allowing offline, but in these times such a big percentage of the developed world has access to internet on a daily basis. The console version offers offline play and free dupes.
    Make your peace...Quickly!
    Honestly ill be happy if blizz stopped talking about D2...
    The real reason with the safety of the game and how existance of offline mode may make the game easier to hack , make it absolutely crackable (which would potentially make blizzard lose millions

w....what? this game is on torrent since releaseday.. please stop repeating what the blizzard PR is telling...and also the console version has offline and LAN (wow!) mode and the console version was on torrent 3 days before release...problem with console version is that you can play online with your offline character...

Back in the 90's I could understand if games were allowing offline, but in these times such a big percentage of the developed world has access to internet on a daily basis. The console version offers offline play and free dupes.

Sure, but only if they can provide the servers and connectiviy for it...EU servers were unplayable for WEEKS with lagspikes over 5000...they fixed it a couple of weeks ago but it still is laggy as hell
    Quote from Elendiro

The console version offers offline play and free dupes.

....so?

This is not surprising, to be honest. It's been pretty clear for a while, now, that the current bosses of the Diablo project don't really care for D2 and what it represented. I've made peace with that. But it's still pretty sad.
    I dont feel the need for offline mode in d3 at all. And I played offline in D2.
    When D2 launched, many homes had no internet or at best, limited dial up.

It would've cost them a ton of sales to go online only. As well, Diablo would've had limited exposure to new players that weren't familiar with the franchise.

I played it offline for years before going online. I was one of those whom was slow to get internet. The online experience made the game come alive, true. But I would've never even known about Diablo 2 if it wasn't offline as well.

All that being said, I'm damn glad it's online only. Diablo 2's worst aspect was a total loss of integrity (online).
    I really loved the D2 mod scene so it kind of bothers me when Blizzard says D2 offline was a mistake. I think maybe they should have held their tongue because a lot of people really loved playing offline and with mods. Also third party programs like the one sthat let you share stash space were awesome.

Like i said, they should just stop talking about D2 because they are coming off like they dont like the game at all. Its just bad PR in general.
    Quote from Mini641

I really loved the D2 mod scene so it kind of bothers me when Blizzard says D2 offline was a mistake. I think maybe they should have held their tongue because a lot of people really loved playing offline and with mods. Also third party programs like the one sthat let you share stash space were awesome.

Like i said, they should just stop talking about D2 because they are coming off like they dont like the game at all. Its just bad PR in general.
    It's important to note; The same avenues that made mods possible is exactly what made hero-editors, pic-it, insta TP'ing and a hundred other game-breaking hacks that spoiled the fun for many online.

You can't point out the good without pointing out the bad.
    Quote from ruksak

Of course you can. Ignorance is what fuels the internet!
    p407 :: 86.3k EK :: 2.40m TK
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    You can get away with online only nowadays since only a few people have intermittent internet access AND want to play videogames on PCs. Couldn't get away with it back then. That's about it (keywords: get away with it since it's obviously about $$).

Blizzard guy had better explain why consoles get the offline treatment if it's THAT bad for the game. Did they just not care about ruining the console experience? Or... Funny how that works, huh.
    No they don't.

/thread

Oh fine, in the interests of pretending there's an actual discussion to be had here... clearly splitting offline and online causes tension and dissatisfaction in the playerbase. I remember that happening when D2 came out... although it wasn't even close to the reaction to 'always on'. Although I also remember not giving a shit, because I'm mostly a solo player. This stuff is really just an indirect response to player demands for offline and online modes, and IMO anyone with any sense should give up that fight. Blizzard isn't budging.

I really do wish, though, that they'd just own up to the fact that always on has been a very successful form of DRM, and has actually behaved itself better than most (barring the obvious, inevitable and totally avoidable release day issues*), and from that point of view has been a 100% justified decision... they should just cut the bullshit, strap themselves in and say "D3 was an expensive game to make, and we needed to protect than investment. The DRM we implemented cut piracy to zero and minimized player inconvenience, and although it imposed certain restrictions on game design and caused some issues during the initial release we believe it was worth it in the long term.".

* I fully anticipate QQ-storms about connectivity when RoS ships, too. Because people don't learn. Anyone dumb enough to take time off work during release week needs their head checked.
    Quote from k0ksii

The real reason with the safety of the game and how existance of offline mode may make the game easier to hack , make it absolutely crackable (which would potentially make blizzard lose millions

w....what? this game is on torrent since releaseday.. please stop repeating what the blizzard PR is telling...and also the console version has offline and LAN (wow!) mode and the console version was on torrent 3 days before release...problem with console version is that you can play online with your offline character...

Sure, but only if they can provide the servers and connectiviy for it...EU servers were unplayable for WEEKS with lagspikes over 5000...they fixed it a couple of weeks ago but it still is laggy as hell

Sorry you cant dispute someone else with ignorance, its not on torrents it cant be played illegally, not really. Its on torrents yeah but only the client and you need to have bought the game to play it. BTW you can download the game officially without torrents, but u need to buy to play it.
    Not sure about console version it has offline mode therefore can be cracked, hacked w/e.
    So how abou YOU stop spreading misinformation and kiddie bullshit unobjective opinions.

Also I played on EU every day since release for more than a month and game was working pretty much flawlessly.
    Quote from ruksak

Quote from Mini641

It's important to note; The same avenues that made mods possible is exactly what made hero-editors, pic-it, insta TP'ing and a hundred other game-breaking hacks that spoiled the fun for many online.

Your post reminds me of a very nice quote by your own Ben Franklin....
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes