Torment Difficulty

Quote from Enty

Should include Spoiler tags in your thread name, and call it Difficulty changes[Spoilers] so as not to spoil it for anyone that wouldn't want it spoiled. INB4 you say it's on the front page, not everyone reads those posts specifically because they say spoiler all over them and they dont want things ruined for when the game releases.

On topic though I think its a way to give an uber difficulty. Unlocked at the end of Inferno Lv 70 you can get achievments for completing it but it doesn't count as beating the game. Beating the game is just inferno. Torment is probably going to be PRe Inferno nerf so that it truly is a torment to get through. At least this is what I hope it is. I mean I think pre-inferno was actually challanging and therefore rewarding when you could beat it. The way inferno is right now is just a useless cakewalk lvl up. By the end of Hell you can most likely get thru MP1 if you tried maybe even MP 2 or 3 depending on the gear you found in Hell.

It's not a lore spoiler so no. Just no. If they add a new difficulty to the game then I am definitely not buying this expansion. A new difficulty is not going to add any more pleasure or enjoyment to the game. It is already frustrating enough to play 4 difficulties that are exactly identical in content.
    I always said Blizzard made out in this game. They only had to make 1/4 of the game. Because we play that 1/4 of the game four times over. All they had to do was bump up the damage and HP of the mobs and called it a full game.

If they made a 5th difficulty then in reality Blizzard just turned their 1/4 of the game to 1/5.

Really crappy way to make a game. Lazy too.
    Quote from Bodycount1

I always said Blizzard made out in this game. They only had to make 1/4 of the game. Because we play that 1/4 of the game four times over. All they had to do was bump up the damage and HP of the mobs and called it a full game.

If they made a 5th difficulty then in reality Blizzard just turned their 1/4 of the game to 1/5.

Really crappy way to make a game. Lazy too.

Except that's not what the game was about? There are quite a few people that spent more time in the last difficulty than hundreds of people spent in all 4 difficulties combined.

My point is for every 10 people you show me that stop playing once they complete the game once, twice or even 4 times. I can show you somebody that has spent more time in the last difficulty than those 10 have combined hours played multiple times over.

As for the OP, I'm with the Torment = Nightmare+ hell combined camp. I think monster power works perfectly for what inferno was designed to accomplish and because of that there is no need for more difficulties.
    Quote from riptide

Except that's not what the game was about? There are quite a few people that spent more time in the last difficulty than hundreds of people spent in all 4 difficulties combined.

It just would have been nice if they made each difficulty a little bit different. Maybe in normal we fight Zoltun Kulle. In nightmare we fight his father. In hell we fight his grandfather. In inferno we fight the first of his bloodline. I don't know. Something like that.

I found it extremely boring fighting the same people with the same story for each difficulty.
    Quote from Bodycount1

It just would have been nice if they made each difficulty a little bit different. Maybe in normal we fight Zoltun Kulle. In nightmare we fight his father. In hell we fight his grandfather. In inferno we fight the first of his bloodline. I don't know. Something like that.

I found it extremely boring fighting the same people with the same story for each difficulty.

Errrr.....

Why change something from the two previous games that absolutely didn't need to be changed? Normal/Nightmare/Hell worked just fine, in fact it's pretty obvious that adding Inferno wasn't the greatest of ideas.

I never heard anyone whine about D2 that they wanted to fight Mephisto's grandfather on Hell mode. Quite a bizarre suggestion.
    p407 :: 86.3k EK :: 2.40m TK
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Quote from shaggy

I never heard anyone whine about D2 that they wanted to fight Mephisto's grandfather on Hell mode. Quite a bizarre suggestion.

Not understanding why you call this whining. This is a discussion on the different difficulties. People are saying whats on their mind. I was doing the same.
    Quote from Bodycount1

Quote from riptide

I agree if you're playing the game for story alone, I can see that as being an ideal situation. However, as far as I go, Blizzard would be wasting resources doing such a thing.

I don't care much for the story progression, it's interesting once and that's it. It's not even a selling point to me and most of the people I know that play the game. I played WoW for quite some time and I didn't give a crap about the backstory of the bosses. I only cared about gameplay and engaging/difficult encounters. (I didn't care about loot either unless it was required for an encounter)

In Diablo a game centered around loot and farming, there isn't really any room for lore as a focal point.
    Quote from Bodycount1

Quote from riptide

I can respect that. Diablo 3 comes from a lineage where the story just isn't that important. It's kind of like an arcade game in that sense; that's why it sucks so much that they made this version so scripted, with all the stupid events and cutscenes, and how you have to "pick a spot in the story" before you start any given game.

I agree with you in the sense that the final difficulty needs more stuff that is unique to that difficulty, like the Key Wardens. They also need to bring back that world event that triggered when enough SoJs were sold, and Super Diablo (or whatever) just dropped into your game.

The original inferno was a great idea; super hard mode to test your character. The problem was, it required too much unrewarding grinding. 99% of the stuff you needed to progress in Inferno, was in Inferno, so it was a catch-22. Only 1% (probably less) of what dropped in Hell mode would help you in Inferno. It just sucked. If you want to have something like original inferno, you need something like today's inferno where you can go farm up that uber set you need to rock the oldschool inferno, if you see what I mean.
    Quote from Mienta

Quote from Vulmio

Quote from Mienta

Quote from Deventh

God, I hope it's not a 5th difficulty ... that would suck. I think 4 is a lot more than there should be. 3 was a fine number in Diablo 2.

Agreed. 4 is too much.

Tbh. i almost hope they will reduce it to 2 in the next expansion. Although if they raise the lvl cap to 80, then you would have to have 79 lvl-ups in a single difficulty, which is probably a bit too often, even with 6 acts.

Or they could remove levels and just have 1 difficulty !

I was serious though. And your sarcastic input really doesn't fit in, as what i suggested isn't in any way a simplification. It's just a removal of a difficulity that is there for... what exactly?
    Nightmare (and hell) is just normal difficulty with higher monster and character levels. You don't even really have a chance of getting anything worth keeping for end-game. It's pointless filler.

Maybe if they added 2 acts in the next expansion, and didn't raise the level cap, it could work with a single levelling playthrough.

Sorry if you took it personnaly, I just like to make jokes even if I suck at it ! ;)
    Did you guys miss the removal of nightmare mode hinted at in there? And that the threads for torment are for torment or higher? I think they are combining nightmare and hell into torment so it's 3 play throughs, not 5.
    Quote from Nucleotides

Did you guys miss the removal of nightmare mode hinted at in there? And that the threads for torment are for torment or higher? I think they are combining nightmare and hell into torment so it's 3 play throughs, not 5.
    I think that's what we're discussing.
    Bashiok - Blizzard Representative - 08/01/2011 -"So how many skill combinations are there now? Well taking into account 6 active skills, all the rune combinations, and 3 passives we currently expect each class to have roughly 2,285,814,795,264 different build combinations."

"Hey, I thought you'd like the witty irony of grub-on-glowie violence!"
    Lemme just leave my 2 cents.

This change could also be just them renaming a certain difficulty to prevent problems when translating the game to other languages.

As an example, in portuguese (Brazil's and Portugal's language), Inferno and Hell have pretty much the same meaning. Inferno can also be used to describe a fire out of control (iirc), but in the current context it's more tied to the idea of a "Burning Hell" imo. I'm pretty sure the word "inferno" has latin (the language) origin, while Hell probably has an anglo-saxon origin.

So in the translated Diablo 3 versions (like the console one which can't be changed to english... <- patch this pl0x Blizz!) Hell is translated as Tormenta, which conveys the idea of a "mental Hell", a "psychological torment"... And Inferno is left as Inferno (which is what Hell is actually translated to in portuguese, we don't have 2 words for this same idea as you do in english).

I don't know if other latin languages have this same problem (Italian, Spanish, French).

What you guys discussed is also doable by the way. But I think the 4-difficulty format works pretty well - at least for me it does, going from Normal -> Inferno seems to be a lot faster (and more varied gameplay and skill-wise) in D3 than it was in D2 anyways.
    Quote from Zero(pS)

I don't know if other latin languages have this same problem (Italian, Spanish, French).

If I'm not mistaken, "Inferno" is the exact translation of "Hell" in Italian. As for Spanish, it's "Infierno", so pretty much the same thing.
    Since you brought it up, Zero...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/inferno
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hell

Inferno, indeed, is from Latin, and hell seems to basically be Germanic.
    p407 :: 86.3k EK :: 2.40m TK
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    I'm a fan of the idea: normal, inferno, torment; just because if they WILL add a difficulty, let it be the highest difficulty :)

I just need a change from inferno, plus torment brings back awesome memories (planescape anyone?)
    Quote from pr3ach3r

I just need a change from inferno, plus torment brings back awesome memories (planescape anyone?)

I never got any memories remotely connected to Planscape: Torment while playing any Blizzard game. Blizzard never made an actual RPG game like Planscape: Torment (or other productions of Black Isle Studios).
    Pietrak#2537 - changed my battle.tag just for you ;P
    It would be really sad, if they removed nightmare and hell. Those are modes which stand for Diablo. D1 had them, D2 had them and even D3 has them. I don't see the point in removing them but still keep the concept of 3 modes.
    Why make it "Normal->Torment->Inferno" if you could make it "Normal->Nightmare->Hell" again...

That would also remove the problem with the name, because there wouldn't be inferno anymore...
    Quote from Zero(pS)

Lemme just leave my 2 cents.

This change could also be just them renaming a certain difficulty to prevent problems when translating the game to other languages.

As an example, in portuguese (Brazil's and Portugal's language), Inferno and Hell have pretty much the same meaning. Inferno can also be used to describe a fire out of control (iirc), but in the current context it's more tied to the idea of a "Burning Hell" imo. I'm pretty sure the word "inferno" has latin (the language) origin, while Hell probably has an anglo-saxon origin.

So in the translated Diablo 3 versions (like the console one which can't be changed to english... <- patch this pl0x Blizz!) Hell is translated as Tormenta, which conveys the idea of a "mental Hell", a "psychological torment"... And Inferno is left as Inferno (which is what Hell is actually translated to in portuguese, we don't have 2 words for this same idea as you do in english).

What you guys discussed is also doable by the way. But I think the 4-difficulty format works pretty well - at least for me it does, going from Normal -> Inferno seems to be a lot faster (and more varied gameplay and skill-wise) in D3 than it was in D2 anyways.

In French there is only 1 word to translate Hell (and nothing for Inferno since we use a latin word close to Inferno, "Enfer", when we talk about Hell) and it is used for Hell difficulty. Inferno difficulty was translated as "Armageddon".
    I don't think, translating issues (should) have any influence on the product.
    I suppose it's possible that they'll keep Normal, Nightmare and Hell and make Inferno for non-exp 60's and Torment for exp 70's.

I really doubt it though, I'm with Bullerick on it becoming Normal, Torment, Inferno.
    And may the odds be ever in your favour.
    Emmo#2406
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes