AH gone, jsp to take its place ?

Poll: Do you think third party sites will thrive ?

Do you think third party sites will thrive ? - Single Choice

• /facepalm 30.2%
  • I used to spend real money on RMAH! Ill spend on jsp fg as well! 2.2%
  • Hopefully jsp is back, i have alot of forum gold! 5%
  • No, they have something in mind! A clever way to battle third parties! 33.1%
  • Yes, blizzard don't care about stopping third parties as much as they care about selling RoS copies! 29.5%
    Quote from itirnitii

I just think trading for what you want is not very satisfying. You basically are hunting not for specific things, but you are just hunting for "value". Once I accumulate enough "value" I can use that to go find the real item I want elsewhere. It's the same problem the auction house inspired making the real game boring, just not as convenient. To me it is way more satisfying to actually find the specific items that you want yourself, to have them drop in front of you, to identify them, and then use them! I just will never understand this need to want to trade at all for the best items in the game. If it's just for above average rares that don't hold any special meaning to you, so be it; but for end game legendaries and best in slot rares? It's just not a legendary feeling at all to get that item on a trade window or trade forum. I know this from personal experience because none of my legendary items on my toons now feel very legendary to me, because I haven't actually found any of them.

Losing trading on legendaries and best in slot rares (craftables) undermines so many problems: scamming, spreading duped items, bots, third party sites, pay to win. I can explain why for each individual circumstance, but I hope it is obvious how.

I will never personally understand how allowing trading BIS items is worth all the headaches that is causes. Especially when it's far more satisfying to find your best in slot items yourself. To each their own!

Very nicely said about hunting for value instead of an item. I feel that there is a problem that lies with the community and peoples attitude.
    Make your peace...Quickly!
    Quote from itirnitii

I will never personally understand how allowing trading BIS items is worth all the headaches that it causes. Especially when it's far more satisfying to find your best in slot items yourself. To each their own!

Let me ask you a question then.

You say none of your items are self-found. Why is that? Why did YOU trade? Maybe if you understood the true reason why you were trading (well using the AH, I suppose) then you'd understand exactly why your crusade for all "BiS" items to be BoA is completely contrary to the game.

My guess is that you used the AH because you didn't get drops, but you wanted to move forward in the game. You, almost certainly, felt handicapped by "loot luck." What trading does, which is immensely important in a game where loot is HIGHLY RANDOM, is allow someone who is frustrated with their luck to attempt to counteract that bad luck in some manner.

Let me give you a real example. I have thousands of hours in D2. I've killed Pindleskin easily 10,000 times, and that's probably a low estimate. I have NEVER found a Windforce. What your position is boils down to "fuck you, Nick, you didn't find it so you can't have it." I realize my bad luck with WF was pretty uncommon, but you have to understand that after someone has spent so much time playing the game you can't just say "go kill more, it will drop sometime." Yeah, well it might drop tomorrow or in 2021, but that doesn't do me a damned bit of good.

So long as the possibility exists that you can invest that much time in the game and NOT see specific items, the reality is that trading is completely necessary.

Imagine if you have 2,000 hours invested in RoS and you really want a Spirit Sparker wand thing for your wizard, but it's never dropped. You see tons of people with them. They clearly drop... but not for YOU. You put in another 500 hours of farming. Still no wand. But you can't do anything about it because there's no trading. You are helpless until the dice roll in your favor, and if they never do then you have no recourse. You do without.

Nothing about that sounds fun to me. Why? Because it removes the locus of control from the player. It puts the player 100% at the mercy of the game for "good" loot. Human beings like an internal locus of control. It makes us happy, it makes us feel a bit more at-ease. Taking that and externalizing it because it makes YOU feel like a big boy about your internet pixels is not only exceedingly selfish, but it's completely naive and ignorant of how drops in this game actually work.

Throwing BoA flags on tons of items is not only the worst solution that Blizzard could ever come up with, but it's lazy and uninspired. It's the white flag. It's not what I expect from a AAA gaming studio, it's what I expect from a game that has one guy doing all the coding and artwork who also has a full time job. I expect insipred, fun, solutions to problems. This is a game, afterall, and if I get beat up for a year straight by RNG, I want to be able to overcome that even if it hurts your ego. Why? Because it's a game. It's supposed to be fun. There's only so much of a pounding anyone can take from RNG before it stops being fun.
    p407 :: 86.3k EK :: 2.40m TK
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    I found selling items for a huge profit was *almost* as good as when I crafted them. I feel the same way about seeing an insanely good deal amongst the spam each of the 999 other ppl in trade channel 1-10. It's also awesome when I turn around and sell that to somebody else and we were both satisfied with the trade.

Don't get me wrong, I love finding good items. Not as much as crafting, but I do enjoy it. I also happen to enjoy trading. Not using the AH, but actually bartering. It's like a separate social game.

Besides what else am I suppose to do in my quest for perfection. Sure I'd rather find it or craft it, but it just didn't feel good having 15 + cruel mats of evis in my stash and none of them were perfect. It did feel good when I traded them though! Btw I did craft not 1 but 2 300/63 cruel mats of evis, one got 1 socket and the 2nd got 2.
    Quote from shaggy

Quote from itirnitii

I will never personally understand how allowing trading BIS items is worth all the headaches that it causes. Especially when it's far more satisfying to find your best in slot items yourself. To each their own!

You say none of your items are self-found. Why is that? Why did YOU trade? Maybe if you understood the true reason why you were trading (well using the AH, I suppose) then you'd understand exactly why your crusade for all "BiS" items to be BoA is completely contrary to the game.

My guess is that you used the AH because you didn't get drops, but you wanted to move forward in the game. You, almost certainly, felt handicapped by "loot luck." What trading does, which is immensely important in a game where loot is HIGHLY RANDOM, is allow someone who is frustrated with their luck to attempt to counteract that bad luck in some manner.

Let me give you a real example. I have thousands of hours in D2. I've killed Pindleskin easily 10,000 times, and that's probably a low estimate. I have NEVER found a Windforce. What your position is boils down to "fuck you, Nick, you didn't find it so you can't have it." I realize my bad luck with WF was pretty uncommon, but you have to understand that after someone has spent so much time playing the game you can't just say "go kill more, it will drop sometime." Yeah, well it might drop tomorrow or in 2021, but that doesn't do me a damned bit of good.

So long as the possibility exists that you can invest that much time in the game and NOT see specific items, the reality is that trading is completely necessary.

Imagine if you have 2,000 hours invested in RoS and you really want a Spirit Sparker wand thing for your wizard, but it's never dropped. You see tons of people with them. They clearly drop... but not for YOU. You put in another 500 hours of farming. Still no wand. But you can't do anything about it because there's no trading. You are helpless until the dice roll in your favor, and if they never do then you have no recourse. You do without.

Nothing about that sounds fun to me. Why? Because it removes the locus of control from the player. It puts the player 100% at the mercy of the game for "good" loot. Human beings like an internal locus of control. It makes us happy, it makes us feel a bit more at-ease. Taking that and externalizing it because it makes YOU feel like a big boy about your internet pixels is not only exceedingly selfish, but it's completely naive and ignorant of how drops in this game actually work.

Throwing BoA flags on tons of items is not only the worst solution that Blizzard could ever come up with, but it's lazy and uninspired. It's the white flag. It's not what I expect from a AAA gaming studio, it's what I expect from a game that has one guy doing all the coding and artwork who also has a full time job. I expect insipred, fun, solutions to problems. This is a game, afterall, and if I get beat up for a year straight by RNG, I want to be able to overcome that even if it hurts your ego. Why? Because it's a game. It's supposed to be fun. There's only so much of a pounding anyone can take from RNG before it stops being fun.

In the current setup of the game, I completely agree with you. The way D3 is setup right now, yes, trading is mandatory because I, like you, have never found a single good item. That's the fault of the games itemization for forcing that upon us. The gap between self found and those that trade is so astoundingly large that it just feels bad if you don't resort to trading. There is a threshold where the game is so unrewarding on its own that trading has to be a necessity, because the feeling of being so much drastically weaker from playing self found, and being so far behind, is worse than the feeling of not actually having found any of your own good legendary items. It is the lesser of two evils. Unfortunately, that isn't enough to make the fact that I traded for my legendaries feel satisfying. The solution is to fix the game so that trading isn't necessary to be in the top echelon of play, playing the game itself is! My hope is that if the drop rates go up to something in between now and the console version and with the addition of smart drops so you find more legendaries suited to your character that you are actively playing, this won't be the case any longer. This is the only scenario this bind on account and bind on craft BIS can be functional and it's the only scenario I would recommend it for.

To take your Windforce example into account, the only reason that is frustrating is because Windforce (aside from hacked Ith Bows) was pretty much the best bow and there were hardly any good alternatives. But with this new loot system it is my hope that there will be such a bevy of different type of legendaries to make viable builds from that one specific legendary will not rule the day and if you don't find the exact one you want, you will find others that will make you just as happy. Plus, if the equivalent of smart drops was in Diablo 2, you probably would have found that Windforce if you were playing an Amazon. Also until you find it, you will have something to keep striving for, instead of just instantly gratifying yourself on a trade forum. Until then? Use one of the other unique bows that are just as powerful as a Windforce to choose from, as one of them will have assuredly already dropped! That should be the idea anyways if implemented properly.

For your Serpent Sparker, what happens though when you actually do find it? It's going to feel a lot better than when you found something else instead and instantly gratified yourself by trading it for what you really wanted. To me it just feels like a sense of entitlement that you are owed easy access to every legendary in the game. How is it even called a legendary if you can just go get one in under 10 minutes after you desire it? That doesn't even make sense. In the scope of legendaries, you get what you find and that should be that.

You do realize I would be punished by this as well? You say I am being selfish, but I am actually the one that is posing a scenario that will not be to my benefit. I won't be able to just get any legendary I want instantly either. I have a hefty disposable income myself, so I would actually greatly benefit from a system that allows trading to get ahead, but I don't want it because I would rather have everyone be on equal footing and at the same benevolent mercy of the RNG. So I'm not sure how you can see that as selfish? I too could never find a Spirit Sparker if I had my design philosophy in place! But I'd gladly trade (harhar) the ability to do that so that when I found a legendary it actually felt good to have found it myself, and not have it just be another item that everyone else can get the exact day they desire it from a trade window. It's not about ego for me, it is about actually having fun by acknowledging that owning a legendary will actually feel legendary, because I had to hunt it down myself. Finding it felt good, because there is the contrasting parallel that I could have hunted for months and never have found it! [But if not, I would have found other wands just as powerful] I killed an elite Savage Beast and it dropped this Serpent Sparker just for me, and I'll be reminded of that every time I use it.

What do people do when they play Diablo 2 or any other ARPG offline? Do they not have fun with those too when they don't ever get the drops they want and there is no one to trade with? Not getting a windforce in offline Diablo 2 didn't make me have any less fun. Or other uniques in Diablo 1 for that matter. I just don't get it. Just because you don't get a certain item doesn't mean there aren't multiple other systems that give you a locus of control. Give up some of that control a little to have a more rewarding experience and keep legendaries legendary.

Like I said, to each their own. To me trading for BIS items is just not fun. Instead of hunting for certain items you are resorting to is hunting for "value" in your drops, which is no better than what the auction house gives us now. Who the hell cares what actually drops? As long as it has trade value I can accumulate it to the value of what I want! Lame.

Raise the drop rates considerably, give us smart drops so we get legendaries more often tailored to the class we are playing, make sure there are many different types of legendaries of all equipment slots that are equally viable so that every slot doesn't just have one obvious choice but instead many (like skorn/mempo/manticore do now), bind on account legendaries. Best way to make seeing that gold beam of light feel the most rewarding and not cheapened by the desire for instant gratification.
    So much misinformation and ignorance. D2jsp is a very established website that has already been thriving after Diablo 3s release. Their traffic will only increase with these changes. Whatever blizzard implements will most likely be lackluster at best, and a lot of people will slowly turn to jsp.

There's also nothing wrong with jsp. If you get scammed, 99% of the time you can blame your own gullibility. I joined jsp in 2006 and after 7 years, I don't just recognize a lot of people, I know their reputation. You can learn who to trust and who not to. And for some, like myself, that kind of trading is as good as it can get. For others, get a mediator. Mediators from jsp are 100% trustworthy. I used one while trading a legit .08 valk helm in D2 for about 20,000 forum gold. At the time that was ~$500 worth. And I've made even bigger trades than that with multiple items using mediators.

What makes jsp great is that the best items in the game get traded there. In D2, you didn't have an actual perfect character unless you were on jsp. And by perfect, I mean your charms in your inventory weren't just the same perfectly rolled stats, there were also the same graphic. You didn't have a perfectly rolled ethereal deaths fathom if you weren't on jsp.

Yes, blizzard will implement something, but it's not going to be very good, and the best gear will be found on jsp. And I'm glad because that kind of trading is very fun to me.

And seriously fuck anyone who says they should get rid of trading. No trading? Are you crazy? Why not just delete the game at that point. That's what diablo is about.
    Quote from Pavidus

And seriously fuck anyone who says they should get rid of trading. No trading? Are you crazy? Why not just delete the game at that point. That's what diablo is about.

Yeah! Why even play Diablo 1 or Diablo 2 offline! You can't trade, just don't even bother!
    Quote from shaggy

Quote from itirnitii

Congratulations, you single-handedly dismissed the large majority of D2 players: offline SP.
    I'm sorry.... what?

Your decision to play offline and not trade with other people didn't force that decision on everyone else. There's a massive difference between personally opting out of trading and arguing that because YOU opted out of trading that everyone else should be forced to.

I'm really having difficulty grasping why this is difficult to understand.

I don't want to be FORCED to not trade because some guy on the internet feels that BoA tags slapped willy-nilly on everything will make his orange lightshafts 12% more enjoyable. That's the most selfish bullshit I've seen on these forums in a very long time.

EDIT
    For people who whined constantly that they didn't want to feel FORCED to use the AH, it sure seems that you guys are quick to FORCE your playstyle on others who don't necessarily want that. YOU don't want to trade because it makes your legendaries feel special... then don't trade. Who gives a fuck if some other guy trades? Why is this approached as a facist takeover?
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    You keep acting like the changes I am a proponent of gives me some kind of advantage? It doesn't. I'd actually be hindering myself as trading puts me in a position to have better characters than 99% of the player base. I'm actually good at trading, flipping was 90% of my income, but unfortunately it's unsatisfying because it's too convenient, instantly gratifying, and takes place primarily outside of the world of sanctuary and in a trading channel/forum. I'd be at the same mercy to the RNG as everyone else without it, which actually equalizes the game more than anything. Trading just makes pay to win rule supreme, it makes spreading dupes easier, it floods the economy with more legendaries than people can even take advantage of thereby making them not very legendary at all. Blah. I just don't see it as worth keeping around with all the trouble it creates and I think if Blizzard does it right the game can be great without it and no one would even care if they gave it a fair try. Who knows it could end up being more satisfying?

Please note too, I am only sharing an opinion, not imposing my will on anyone.
    I'm of no illusion that it's a "level playing field."

I also want to HEAVILY EMPHASIZE that I completely understand that finding your own shit is rewarding for many players (myself included). I doubt I will trade in RoS, and if I do it'll be between friends.

But one thing I want to emphasize is that, especially in the case of close friends, I absolutely, ABSOLUTELY, want the ability to "hook each other up." As much as I don't plan on engaging in random trading with strangers, if you and I were doing a lot of runs and I found something that would benefit you, you bet your balls that I want to be able to offer it to you, and if you choose to accept it then good for you.

It's how I am. It's why I'm so passionate about trading not being yanked out from under my feet. I love to share. I'd rather give YOU an item and have it make our hunting more productive and know that maybe you give me one in return sometime in the future that makes me happy... than I would for it to sit in my stash until I make an alt of that class and decide I want to use it. The prospect of not being able to do that is HORRIFYING to me. It makes me wonder why I'd even want to play co-op if I couldn't share around like that. It's foreign and I completely don't understand it, at all.

EDIT
    One of the guys from these forums whom I sometimes group with, he hooked me up with a Zuni's helm which was slightly better than the one I had found for myself. I was jazzed. Some weeks later he was on one of his toons and I went to my stash and linked a few items I had that really weren't doing much for me... and he accepted one of them and I felt like a million bucks for being able to "get him back" so to speak. For me, being able to be there for someone like that meant just as much as finding items for myself. Being able to do something that made someone else happy was exceptionally rewarding because of how I am.
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Quote from shaggy

I also want to HEAVILY EMPHASIZE that I completely understand that finding your own shit is rewarding for many players (myself included). I doubt I will trade in RoS, and if I do it'll be between friends.

But one thing I want to emphasize is that, especially in the case of close friends, I absolutely, ABSOLUTELY, want the ability to "hook each other up." As much as I don't plan on engaging in random trading with strangers, if you and I were doing a lot of runs and I found something that would benefit you, you bet your balls that I want to be able to offer it to you, and if you choose to accept it then good for you.

It's how I am. It's why I'm so passionate about trading not being yanked out from under my feet. I love to share. I'd rather give YOU an item and have it make our hunting more productive and know that maybe you give me one in return sometime in the future that makes me happy... than I would for it to sit in my stash until I make an alt of that class and decide I want to use it. The prospect of not being able to do that is HORRIFYING to me. It makes me wonder why I'd even want to play co-op if I couldn't share around like that. It's foreign and I completely don't understand it, at all.

Well when taking this into account I'm probably more an opponent of trading on a mass scale. I don't think trading with someone in the same game where you found the item would be bad. So that could always be a good compromise of ideas. Or like someone suggested you could only trade with whoever is on your friend's list at the time of finding, I thought that idea was neat.

There just needs to be some limitation, because as I see it trading causes so many problems, and I could see getting rid of it having many advantages too as I've listed above.
    Quote from itirnitii

Quote from shaggy

Well when taking this into account I'm probably more an opponent of trading on a mass scale. I don't think trading with someone in the same game where you found the item would be bad. So that could always be a good compromise of ideas. Or like someone suggested you could only trade with whoever is on your friend's list at the time of finding, I thought that idea was neat.

There just needs to be some limitation, because as I see it trading causes so many problems, and I could see getting rid of it having many advantages too as I've listed above.

No there doesn't need to be some limitation whatsoever. I would have stopped playing d2 if everything but the perfect craft was only worth something to me. Sorry, you're flat out wrong on this. You're unnecessarily alienating a whole group of players because of your beliefs. Trading is a very big part of diablo, it just wasn't necessary in d2.

Loot 2.0 was designed for people like you, hell even for me. It will give us what we need to get through the game and not feel obligated to trade. However, it will not give me my100% perfect items and without trading I would not be able to obtain multiples of them. Because each time I invested in crafting 1, every preceding craft would be worth 0. Therefor being a sink and never breaking even, despite how many good items I had crafted in the process.

That's not fun. The end. Why should my experience be ruined because you decided you wanted perfect items because somebody else does. Only you wanted to find them, despite it being mathematically improbable to do it for more than 1-2 in a lifetime of play.

Now if you don't care about perfect items and are content with stuff that will allow you to play the game and complete it without trade, then welcome to loot 2.0. It just happens to allow trading for those that want to.

I don't think you realize how many people wanted that 1% difference and made it a point to get it. The pursuit of perfection is also a game. Just because you don't want to play it doesn't mean nobody else should be able to.

For the record. I've always hated the idea of an auction house and much prefered the interaction of face to face trading.
    Quote from shaggy

I'm sorry.... what?

Your decision to play offline and not trade with other people didn't force that decision on everyone else. There's a massive difference between personally opting out of trading and arguing that because YOU opted out of trading that everyone else should be forced to.

I'm really having difficulty grasping why this is difficult to understand.

I don't want to be FORCED to not trade because some guy on the internet feels that BoA tags slapped willy-nilly on everything will make his orange lightshafts 12% more enjoyable. That's the most selfish bullshit I've seen on these forums in a very long time.

EDIT
    For people who whined constantly that they didn't want to feel FORCED to use the AH, it sure seems that you guys are quick to FORCE your playstyle on others who don't necessarily want that. YOU don't want to trade because it makes your legendaries feel special... then don't trade. Who gives a fuck if some other guy trades? Why is this approached as a facist takeover?

Your previous post made it sound that the majority of D2 players were playing it the wrong way by doing it single player. That is all. You don't have to go all 'Murica-mode.
    Quote from itirnitii

Quote from Pavidus

Yeah! Why even play Diablo 1 or Diablo 2 offline! You can't trade, just don't even bother!

We're not talking about offline single player. There isn't one for D3.
    Quote from shaggy

EDIT
    One of the guys from these forums whom I sometimes group with, he hooked me up with a Zuni's helm which was slightly better than the one I had found for myself. I was jazzed. Some weeks later he was on one of his toons and I went to my stash and linked a few items I had that really weren't doing much for me... and he accepted one of them and I felt like a million bucks for being able to "get him back" so to speak. For me, being able to be there for someone like that meant just as much as finding items for myself. Being able to do something that made someone else happy was exceptionally rewarding because of how I am.

/agree fully with this post

But I'm pretty sure your worries are pointless. They surely won't make everything BoA, especially after AH's getting removed. Their AH Closure FAQ even says "Players will still be able to trade via the Trade Window". They'll probably only make Mystic-enchanted items BoA, which is good.
    Quote from Shad3slayer

"Why is everyone mentioning d2jsp? Chances are it won't be meaningful at all. Purely due to the law of big numbers. Most people will probably prefer to trade in games/ trade hubs/ chats/ whatever we get in-game, as opposed to refreshing forums, dealing with possible scams etc etc. So chances are a very small chunk of people will use d2jsp, mostly the ones that already do, and the much larger majority will just trade in game."

Translation: I won't use d2jsp therefore nobody else will use d2jsp.
    This is wierd. I hope you know what you guys are talking about. Right now, you are talking about trading with strangers sucks. This is YOUR issue, nothing wrong with the game or how its going to. It can ONLY be neutral, that you have to trade(and it might be scary, but with strangers aswell).

As i said earlier, casual players will always whine(frankly, they dont know what they are talking about)and hardcore players will always find a way out. This is the difference, ladies.
    Quote from mike20599

Quote from Shad3slayer

"Why is everyone mentioning d2jsp? Chances are it won't be meaningful at all. Purely due to the law of big numbers. Most people will probably prefer to trade in games/ trade hubs/ chats/ whatever we get in-game, as opposed to refreshing forums, dealing with possible scams etc etc. So chances are a very small chunk of people will use d2jsp, mostly the ones that already do, and the much larger majority will just trade in game."

Nope. Not many people will use 3rd party sites therefore not many people will use d2jsp.
    Quote from mike20599

Quote from Shad3slayer

Your "translations" are very bad, in this topic and the others.
    Quote from maka

Quote from mike20599

Quote from Shad3slayer

Nope. Not many people will use 3rd party sites therefore not many people will use d2jsp.

Exactly. Not many compared to the entire player base in any case.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes