Gems in RoS

Ok so i've been absent for a while and i didn't get all the info on Ros when it was comming out.

I've seen loot info / paragon / class

but nowhere have i found any info on Gems (besides the new diamonds)

so my question / start of a discussion is this:

will the gems we have atm be obsolete?

and is there any ifno on how many new gem lvl we gonna get?

i mean first 6 tiers of gems are useless 0 and i mean completely .. are they getting rid of them or its just gonan be like that always?

and the prices

marquise is pretty damn expensive atm - i for 1 could get 1 but i dont fancy spending 20m on 1 gem (4 main stats)

are they going to drop the prices or will the next tier cost 40m ??

what do you think
    >> I'm not a psychopath I'm a high-functioning sociopath
    I doubt they'll add a new tier TBH.
    As far as I'm aware, nothing has been officially announced about gems except for the addition of diamonds (and I'm not even sure if they were actually announced, or just discovered in the demo by fans at gamescom). I agree with the above post in that I doubt they will add a new tier, but we just don't know for sure yet.
    Remember that Marquise was basically introduced as a moneysink for the rich. It wouldn't surprise me if they rebalanced the cost, removed the BoA tag, in light of a more self-found-friendly game, made Marquise the "new tier" and made Perfect Square gems the standard drop.

Pure speculation, obviously, but I can see them moving away from gems only for the rich because they have definitely shifted their philosophy on how the game will be played (more killing monsters, less time in the AH).
    66.0k elite kills :: 1.97m total kills :: p244
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    i didnt realise marquise is boa xd

so im guessing they wont change anything since they would have to lower cost / change boa to sellable and add new tier .. well there goes nothing

but thats kinda weird since stats on the new items are suppose to be much higher and gems we have atm ~50 are more or less significant

if we get 2x or 3x higher stats on gear (1h 1.3k dps - 3k dps from RoS) then im guessing gems won't really matter or give any advantage
    they're adding diamonds though, but I'm unsure what stats it gives.
    Make your peace...Quickly!
    Blizz can always rebalance the numbers on gems without making a new tier.

Diamonds give:
    Helm - reduced cooldown
    Armour- +all res
    Weapon - +dmg elites
    I was hoping to hear of a plethora of new socketables, not just a Diamond. The idea behind Jewels should be explored in more depth imo.

The current offering of socketables is a dumbing down, a trend that I wish to see reversed. We had 33 runes, 6 (?) gem types and an endless variety of jewels in the predecessor to socket and add variance as we saw fit. That's 40 socketable types, one of which was endlessly variable.

40 versus 4........hmmmmm

We now have 4....5 doesn't intrigue me at all.
    BurningRope#1322
    Quote from ruksak

I was hoping to hear of a plethora of new socketables, not just a Diamond. The idea behind Jewels should be explored in more depth imo.

The current offering of socketables is a dumbing down, a trend that I wish to see reversed. We had 33 runes, 6 (?) gem types and an endless variety of jewels in the predecessor to socket and add variance as we saw fit. That's 40 socketable types, one of which was endlessly variable.

40 versus 4........hmmmmm

We now have 4....5 doesn't intrigue me at all.

we now have 1 or 2 .. rest dont concer other chars

red for head and green for weap

if ur a barb and use red in weaps u only use 1 type EVER

id rather take +stats in some way than this - absolutely useless

no gems with skills rune modifiers

gems that add (since they went with hydra as example of a new legendary in RoS) more hydras that you can spawn / more zombie dogs / runes that change whirlwind dmg to fire/frost etc giving it special for that element dmg (slowing/burning/shocking)

seriously there is so many possibilities that i can't imagine who is working for blizzard that they didnt add anything that isnt linear or simplified for masses

ur a warrior .. warriors are red - u gonna use red gem for str

yeah what if i wanna use purple gem for leaving a swamp behing me when i run to slow enemies - well u want too much if u dont like what we offer F U

and all those blizzard blue replies "we want to make game best for every1" "sry we cant make game best for every1" lolz

i know its a lil off topic but it mostly about variety and gems fit in that category
    All in favor of Diablo 3 runewords say "aye"?
    Outside of RWs, you only ended up using a handful of those runes in D2.

Ber - Crushing Blow
    Ist - MF
    Um - +All res in shields
    Shael - Attack Speed

http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/runes.shtml
    Quote from Limdul

All in favor of Diablo 3 runewords say "aye"?

AYE....but I digress.....I just want more, not less.

Less is not more, less is less. I actually forgot about Skulls in my above post, so revise that number to 41 different socketable types in the prequel compared to only 4 in Diablo 3.

I truly am concerned that they still don't "get it". Raising the numerical values and adding a CTC only gives the illusion of more. I truly hope to be pleasantly surprised at Blizzcon. However, having Josh stnad on the stage and say "I'm proud to introduce to you...THE DIAMOND" *crowd ohhh's and ahhh's.

Good going, Josh. Now you only have 36 more types before you catch up with 12 years ago.
    BurningRope#1322
    Quote from IgnatiusReilly

Outside of RWs, you only ended up using a handful of those runes in D2.

Ber - Crushing Blow
    Ist - MF
    Um - +All res in shields
    Shael - Attack Speed

http://classic.battl...ems/runes.shtml

Hel ~ Lowers requirements and used in cube recipes.
    Eth ~ Often used to lower target defense (poor mans Grief)
    Amn ~ Used often for +% to Life Steal
    Lo ~ Extremely popular with the melee duelers, adds 20% to deadly strike
    Jah ~ ITD, another poor mans Grief weapon.
    Zod ~ made an entire weapon type viable (ETH)

So that's 6 plus your four, that makes ten. That's exactly double the socketable options than what we'd get if they add a Diamond to D3.....and that's leaving out the dynamic, multiple affix Jewels and 7 Gem types.

Do not defend them for dumbing this game down. I'm sure it makes their developing and testing easier, but Diablo is not a console players game, a genre fit for the attention deficit deprived.
    BurningRope#1322
    Now it's easier to get allres and I'm pretty disappointed by that! I hoped that single resistanses would roll around double the amount of allres on items. BLIZZARD WAT ARRRR YA DOIN'?!
    Make your peace...Quickly!
    Quote from Elendiro

Now it's easier to get allres and I'm pretty disappointed by that! I hoped that single resistanses would roll around double the amount of allres on items. BLIZZARD WAT ARRRR YA DOIN'?!

I'm really hoping they think outside the box here. Adding more sockets to all slots and doing some dynamic reworking.

Just off the top-o-my-head;

2 soc weap + RS Amethyst + RS Ruby = 3% Life Steal.

4 soc Armor + RS Diamond + RS Topaz = + 600 Armor

Why aren't they adding dynamic, non-linear modifications?
    BurningRope#1322
    Quote from ruksak

Quote from Elendiro

I'm really hoping they think outside the box here. Adding more sockets to all slots and doing some dynamic reworking.

Just off the top-o-my-head;

2 soc weap + RS Amethyst + RS Ruby = 3% Life Steal.

4 soc Armor + RS Diamond + RS Topaz = + 600 Armor

because it no use doing all that for mare 30$ ;]

ppl will spend those money no matter how many ppl will say they wont buy the expansion .. they will be #1 selling expansion etc bla bla bla

many good players want better game .. even more spoiled kids want easy time spender with fancy title - they get more votes hence game in the present version

only ppl that left activision are making games worth while and they r doing good job blizz is with activision - they will never make anything that wont be trying to earn on a side which will mess up the core of the game

i promised mysef i wont commment on ah so i wont - i just hope for more BoA items if thats what will make them let us farm our gear not buy it
    I suppose there is some majesty in attempting to collect enough and craft from flawless all the way up to max, but beyond that (if you are into collecting, etc) there isn't much else to be desired. Marquise gems are just flat out too expensive for the boost they provide and having each and every tier just be +x to stat is boring.

As others have said runes or gems need to be added to the game to spice up the lack of choice in sockets. Hell even if they added something that allows you to combine two gems together to create a hybrid gem of some sort would be better that what we have at the moment or even for that matter, the current outlook in RoS (although I still hold hope that something will be announced regarding this).

Also they need to up stack sizes dramatically. 100 is just not enough.
    Quote from ruksak

We don't actually know what they are adding.

I haven't seen a radioactive pegasus in RoS. Guess they're not adding them, huh?
    66.0k elite kills :: 1.97m total kills :: p244
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Quote from shaggy

Quote from ruksak

We don't actually know what they are adding.

I haven't seen a radioactive pegasus in RoS. Guess they're not adding them, huh?

Point noted.

What they did show was the same old shit, higher numbers and CTC. All I've heard so far is talk about raising numerical values, that's alarming. That's fuckin' boring, Shaggy.

41 socketable, dynamic modifiers compared to 4, maybe 5 if they do add a Diamond.

A god damn Diamond? And I'm supposed to what....? ......be excited about a fuckin' Diamond? You know what would get my juices flowing? Josh swaggin' his way up on stage and "Here ya go....50 new socketable modifiers. 125 different combinations to create new modifiers. Recipes to make new items and create more sockets. Talisman's/Charms to alter your characters stats across the board."

But you know what? I bet that doesn't happen. I bet it's more like "Check it out, 3,200 DPS on a one hand weapon. And it can cast a Hydra that doesn't proc off your weapon damage. Check it out, a cool Diamond. Now you can lower your cooldown by 1 second or add 25 All Resistance. And looky here, you can add vitality with paragon points. OR...you can also add Dexterity or Strength. You can have way more main stats than before, and way more DPS too. We increased the difficulty levels to, so it's kinda like we didn't change anything at all because even though your weapon does more DPS, the monsters have 10 times more health."

I'm afraid that is the future of Diablo 3. It looks bleek.
    BurningRope#1322
    To the original question:

It's very much possible, that they add some new tiers of gems, just because of the (mandatory) stat inflation. With 3k dps weapons, current rubys or amethysts would simply be a joke. I also expect main stats to go much higher so that even +62 won't do much then. Simply introducing new tiers with higher values while allowing higher tiers than "flawless" to drop would be the easiest solution.
    If they put some work into it however, they could keep all of the current gems and spread their stats a little. We don't need 20 tiers of gems with 15 of them redundant just because the 16. drops directly from mobs. Adding lvl reqs to them would also make lower tiers more appealing.

About the other points:
    I agree totally, that socketing could be much, much better in D3. D2 is light years ahead of this, but we have to keep in mind, that "socketed" is no longer a base item type but rather a magic affix. If they really put effort into socketing, they should also revert that. Else, we're right back at that "must have npc to add sockets" topic.

While they're at it, they could very well turn the failed resists concept around. Single resists should roll higher than all res, that's nothing but common sense. No point in having damage types at all this way. They could have even called resists "armor 2".
    I apologize for any formating issues in my posts, I just can't use the new editor.Currently playing Magic 2014, see my thread:http://www.diablofans.com/topic/97565-magic-2014/
    Also, if you like Classics, try:Dungeons and Dragons Anthology ( http://www.gamersgat...ster-collection )
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes