Rushing to "Complete" Paragon v1.0 - Is it Worth it For You?

TL;DR: This concerns people who are unsure whether to farm for pLvl100 or not before the system changes, or if it is still worth it to play after you hit the cap. There won't be much to actually learn in this OP, but sometimes people need to nibble on the carrot-on-a-stick before they actually realize they want to go chase it. I've also included the Paragon Leveling pie chart and numerical table further down in the post if you'd like to look it over again. :)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sometimes, just knowing about upcoming change can trigger the desire to finish, or quit early for that matter, whatever it is that will be changed in the upcoming patches or expansion. Amongst the bigger news that have graced the Diablo fanbase as of recently, Blizzard has presented a rough draft for a shinier, (hopefully) more awesome way to progress your character after you're done with the storyline across the first three difficulties. For a quick review on what we can expect for the Paragon System (and other things), check out this thread by overneathe: The Massive Expansion Recap.

Without covering too many aspects of whats changing here in this thread, there is a general statement to be made concerning this topic: This change will affect all players with level 60 characters in a fairly significant matter in terms of game longevity and character development. For the time being however, we're "stuck" with the current system, and though I would refrain from calling this a guide, I feel that this may result in being an interesting read for those who are "not quite done" or the ones asking themselves if it is worth it to quit playing. So, lets do a little bit of digging :)

Q: If the system is changing, is it still worth it to play?
    A: This is a question fringing on your gaming philosophy, and can be answered through other questions: Are you still having fun? Are you chasing a specific goal to reach before it the change drops so you can take screenshots to say "I did it"? There is no right or wrong answer here, but for the time being, it there is a simple way to put it: If you were interested in playing before the paragon change was announced, then there is no real tangible reason to quit now, disregarding the other changes that will accompany the expansion and it's free pre-patch (listed in the thread linked above).

Q: I have a pLvl 100 character. Is it a waste to play that character now?
    A: This depends on your intention. To put it in Layman's Terms, if you want to gain an edge when the change happens, play another character to reap more benefits. On the other hand, even though people are quick to complain that their pLvl100 characters are now obsolete for getting a bigger bonus, there is one thing to consider: playing your maxed out character now leaves no room for improvement with either the old or new system. The big difference is that you will have a massive advantage for finding current gear because you'll have a substantial amount of extra MF%.

Q: Is it better to level low or high pLvl characters right now to gain an edge?
    A: As long as your character isn't pLvl100 yet, it is irrelevant. As posted by various blues, it is not the levels that will carry over, but the overall amount of Paragon EXP gained. Essentially, if you want to carry over a higher amount of EXP to the new system when the change happens, you should disregard your current level entirely (unless you hit max), and focus on the character that has the fastest EXP farming speed.

Q: My pLvl100 character has the best gear and I feel most comfortable playing him. Any way to use that anyway?
    A: Yes and no. Unfortunately, the currently fairly shallow customization for characters means there is one basic truth can be applied to the current game: every character is not an empty canvas, but more of an empty coloring book. In other words, if you have two Barbarians, they are identical except for the gear. To make the most of a maxed out character you have, simply make a new character of the same class and level that one using the gear from your initially maxed out character. There is one important thing to realize however: Blizzard hasn't really been that specific on what will carry over and what gets lost in the transition. Though it is unlikely, there may be a scenario where Blizzard will only take the one or two highest leveled characters of a specific class to be converted to account-wide paragon EXP. So the entire thing is to be taken with a grain of salt, but from personal experience, I know a fresh cLvl60 character can hit max Paragon in less than a week it the gear allows for extremely speedy MP10 runs, which is loads faster than playing a fresh self-found character.

Q: I have a non-maxed character that I would like to get to the cap, but I'm not sure if I can make it in time. What should I do?
    A: This is a tough one for various reasons. If you haven't hit the cap yet, but know you will, thats great. For those who are a bit more clueless, there isn't a definite answer, but a few guaranteed facts that you should remember:
    1. The patch will definitely not happen before BlizzCon. There is a very high chance it won't happen this year at all, but that is more of an educated guess as opposed to the previous statement. Most likely, Blizzard will give an unofficial heads up several weeks in advance, and it will most probably be relatively close to the expansion release.
    2. The current Paragon Level system, as opposed to the upcoming one, has a finite amount of EXP you have to farm to reach max. Knowing what you're up against is half the battle, so here it is: To go from a fresh character to max level, you need exactly 10,454,400,000 Paragon EXP.
    3. Every monster has a base amount of EXP the will give your character. While you are cLvl60, this will not change. You can however manipulate the total amount of EXP you get in the following ways: adjusting the MP, playing with others, using a Ruby in your Helmet, and though rolled stats on gear. For the sake of it, you should also use a Hellfire Ring over other rings as long as it is a decently rolled one. While playing, you may also see EXP shrines and gain NV stacks to further boost the total incoming EXP. To make the most of a run, pick a route that will allow you to get a 5NV stack in short time without killing a lot of white mobs beforehand, and save the EXP shrines for phases in your run where you know you will kill a lot of white mobs.
    4. The 1.0.8 patch increased monster density across most areas currently in the game. Evaluate your run to make sure you kill the largest amount of normal monsters in the shortest amount of time. The Decaying Crypts (dungeon in Fields of Misery, A1) are beyond amazing. If you see this dungeon, drop everything like a hot potato and go clear that place out.
    Without dabbling too much in EXP/Hour that you can personally farm, it is important to set realistic goals. Since we know that currently max level requires 10.4 Billion EXP, you can do some math to get a rough estimate of time it will take you to hit pLvl100. To give an example, if you can average 104 Million EXP a day, it will take you a little over three months to hit the cap, baring any change of playing habits. Personally speaking, there will be an ebb and flow when it comes to farming, and though it can help, you should never make a specific number a "must" to reach. Also, it "should" happen that as you get near the end, your efficiency will have increased though gear, knowledge and willpower, so when you get close, you may experience a drastic increase in leveling speed.

To visualize the path to the current hardcap, I present to you two graphs that Molster has posted forever ago (don't know actual originating source).

Piechart:

Numerical Chart:

So, there it is. At the closing stages of the Paragon System v1.0, maybe a few of you who haven't yet hit the paragon cap have been asking yourselves if it is still worth it to do so, and what it may take to get there. None of the informational facts and charts I posted is new, or comes straight from me, but I hope that there may be a small amount of motivation to be gained from this before the chance to have a pLvL100 character fades into the past. Don't be disheartened if it seems to take a good bit of playtime to reach, and enjoy D3 vanilla while it lasts. Just like you see D2 vets talking like they own the place (which we do anyway :P), one day you'll be able to tell the then-new band-wagoners and legitimate fans that you played D3 since vanilla, and had a character at level cap before the game was as amazing as it will be then :D
    Of all things important in Online Gaming, there is one thing no game developer can "fix" - it's community.
    I didn't read the whole text (sorry), but I don't think, I'll level to the (tbd) amount of transferable experience. Others might delete all their non-Barb toons and push 10 of them to plvl100 just to get a head start.

Quite an interesting topic, but I guess, we first need to know, how much p-exp we can actually transfer. Or, do we already know that?
    I will not rush exp. I like to have some little rewards (and the whole parangon system is just a litle reward, maybe comparable to an item slot at best, when fully completed) from time to time. Rushing it would just mean more rewards now and less rewards later.
    There has been no actual figure announced as of yet. What blues have said so far is that the total amount of Paragon EXP on your account, rather than your levels, would get converted. As of that statement, the largest amount possible would be over 104 Billion EXP. As often disregarded during conceptual stages of any game or patches therefore, changes or limitations may occur later.

I've seen mixed reactions in my friends list since the announcement, the tip of the iceberg being someone who has since leveled three additional barbs to pLvl100, and is now working on other character classes (his two day old Wiz is pLvl60 lol).

Also, as Vulmio pointed out, another topic that I originally wanted to discuss, but forgot to mention, is the debate between leveling now or later. Though I am leveling a lot more right now myself, it is somewhat ironic that with a system as dry as it is right now, some people are rushing like crazy with a seemingly inferior system. Obviously, they'll get more benefits when the change happens, but ironically, it will probably be more fun to farm for after the change happens lol.
    Of all things important in Online Gaming, there is one thing no game developer can "fix" - it's community.
    I'm going to push for five P100s by the years end. If I get burned, I get burned, but I'm just glad that the new developments have sparked interest for me in the game again.
    Quote from itirnitii

I'm going to push for five P100s by the years end. If I get burned, I get burned, but I'm just glad that the new developments have sparked interest for me in the game again.

I'd be happy with 2 or 3 Paragon 75 by the end of the year :)
    Quote from itirnitii

well you clearly have more free time than most lol. I had up lvl 60 para 73 up until yesterday.. leveled a sorc to 60. I plan to perhaps have 1 other 60 and it'll probably be a barb again.. and ill just swap the gear on my current one to the new one. I'm only doing this to generate more para levels quicker.
    I have definitely been playing more D3 in the past few months than compared to before, so it doesn't really change anything for me right now, unless I'll burn out. I refuse to roll the same character twice however. Just seems too cheesy considering there isn't really a competitive aspect to the whole leveling deal. Dunno, I've always had very specific, sometimes odd ways to play games "correctly". Usually that means I end up making it harder on myself :P
    My Barb is right at 92 and I am determined to get him to 100. I have a Witch Doctor and Monk in the 50's I will probably jump to them next. I haven't touched my Wiz or Demon Hunter in ages and will probably wait till Loot 2.0 to get back to them since they have kinda bad gear. So, do you still accumulate XP after you pass 100 ??
    I'm going to try to rush at least 1 char to paragon 100. But I doubt I will, don't want to burn myself out and be sick and tired of diablo when expansion comes.
    Damnit, I hate seeing that pie-chart! Makes my level 74 seem like nothing at all. :P
    Quote from Stephenk291

Quote from itirnitii

well you clearly have more free time than most lol. I had up lvl 60 para 73 up until yesterday.. leveled a sorc to 60. I plan to perhaps have 1 other 60 and it'll probably be a barb again.. and ill just swap the gear on my current one to the new one. I'm only doing this to generate more para levels quicker.

I'm just the type of person that likes to invest all my free time in one thing. When D3 came out I wanted the game to be my all as far as hobbies and leisure time went. But, when my wizard hit P100 before all this extra MP10 bonus exp patch, I got burnt out because it just stopped being interesting; the loot hunt specifically. I'm hoping that these new developments will keep things fresh and I have decided after my few months break to just go full steam again!
    I got 1 lvl 100 paragon barb as of now, and leveling my monk started last week on it and are lvl 60 paragon now, I know im not that fast but my goal is 2-3 paragon level 100s eventho I would really like more! Just dont think I can=/
    Quote from Kaoskadosk

Damnit, I hate seeing that pie-chart! Makes my level 74 seem like nothing at all. :P

It also show how meaningless the last 10 levels are ! So much time for so little rewards !
    Quote from Vulmio

Quote from Kaoskadosk

It also show how meaningless the last 10 levels are ! So much time for so little rewards !

Sorry for making the chart back in the day but its a great visual guide just how steep the levling curve is.

on a side note, going from 90-100 is just a big of a bonus in the new system as going from 1-58(ish). as only exp will carry over to the new system. the only downside of getting a character to lvl 100 is that if you play it all time spent on killing stuff is basicy wasted exp sadly. so i would rather just level em to max 99 just to not feel im wasting exp by being lvl 100 :S flaw of the old system that will be fixed in the new.

or you will have a softcap in the new system where you have put paragon points in every stat but its possible no one will reach that stage.
    Quote from Vomica

Sorry for making the chart back in the day but its a great visual guide just how steep the levling curve is.

I actually think the chart is fantastic, it really gives you a visual perspective on how much effort it actually takes to get to 100. I've also found the whole leveling experience to be a great lesson in exponential increase. When you play and look at it linearly, it's just a couple of million more per level, so you sit there thinking "Well that level went by quick and getting to the next just needs a little more, this isn't going to take long at all!", but when everything gets added together, bit by bit you start to realize that it wasn't quite that simple. Combining the leveling experience with looking at that chart really puts a perspective to it all.

I bet that for quite a number of you getting a Paragon level 100 is a cakewalk which I find to be quite amazing. Here I sit hoping to get even one character to level 100 before RoS while there are people popping out pLvl 100s like it's almost nothing.

Love the OP by the way, even if it's just a collection of information already known, it's a nice heads-up while providing good information on how to get there if you're up to the task. :) Good job!
    Still worth playing IMO even if you are paragon 100. Farm gold ready for the expansion if nothing else.
    Played DH since day 1 as i love ranged classes once paragon came out wasnt too fussed levelled to 100 n my own time.

Wanted Alt to farm ubers solo obv Barb OP and now casually levelling up this bad boy. Have no sympathy for Barb kids moaning how all there XP is wasted when new paragon hits as they didnt consider other classes because you cant farm legs as fast.
    im working on my 7th p100 now and planning to get every 10 Slots to 100. When all the exp get accumulated i will have Account Paragon ~250 if the exp curve will stay the same as now...

Also on Act V we get 7 time more exp, so that means in the same time we level one character to 100 in classic d3 we would have 7 p100 in RoS (~ Account Paragon 2xx)...so its basicly a timewaste what im doing, because im only have a little advantage to other players in the beginning of RoS
    Quote from k0ksii

Also on Act V we get 7 time more exp

Please tell where does this information come from?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes