Paragon Mastery, Primal Elements and other

Here comes some critizism. The skills can do elemental damage, cool. But as of right now elemental damage does nothing except for cold that slows for 30- or 60% for a very short moment. If there's no mechanical effect, I'd rather just have my frenzy do physical damage.
    Make your peace...Quickly!
    I like the talent tree idea. Some people don't like skill tree because they are affraid to make the wrong choice or have to start over if they want to try something new.

Here is my idea to please both sides :
    We keep your talent tree system but when we reach Parangon lvl 100 we keep gaining talent points every X xp gained (we don't have to gain more levels, just more talent points). This way we can theoretically get all the talents in the tree if we play the same character for a very very long time and no talent point is wasted.

Now people wanting to customize their characters with talents can do it (until they reach the last talent point which is a very long time) and people wanting to try all the different talents can do it with a single character.
    Great presentation, and the screens are realy nice.

To give some critizism :

- Your ideas do not change at all the way we build and play our chars ;
    - You only thought about giving conventional dps/ehp adds, but crap adds still crap ;
    - Some of the systems adds you introduce us are from D2 and isn't fitted to D3 ;

For exemple, the monsters stats modif' aren't realy interesting. Adding res or armor just do the same as add some hp. The monster ehp just up. It's basicly the same for the elemental dmg on dps.
    The best way to increas the difficult of monster slaying would be to give us some skills like the affixes of elite one, but not in a so powerfull version ofc. If some trash mobs have a frozen affixe version who just slow us, I'm sure we won't play the same way. And we can think about some various modification of elites affixes.

The paragon mastery is a pretty obious add we all had in mind. You present a really nice version, but I don't think giving just some dps or ehp bonus in the same way as it works now is a great solution. Imo it's the best way to change the way we play and build our chars by changing completly the effect of some affixes. We had a great exemple with the passivs of Path of Exil. For exemple, we could imagine that a passive skill change the bonus add by secondary stats. And if we play barb, intel could give CC or DCC instead of all res. And we can imagine similar ideas for each affixe. Like, passif skill effect on pick-up radius from stuff like, improving the radius of some attacks skills, instead of increasting the pick-up radius of heal globe and gold. Or as we can see in PoE, a passif skill who disable the dodge bonus from dex and change it in armor. This kind of change would drasticly change the way we stuff and therefore the way we build our chars.
    To give some example :
    - Secondary stats like intel or dex on barb didn't give all res or dodge chance, but a little amount of cc or dcc ;
    - Pick-up radius from stuff increas the radius effect of active skills. But you canno't pick-up heal globe anymore, and the gold pick-up radius are reduce to it base value ;
    - Convert all dodge bonus into armor. And Dex provide no dodge bonus (like in PoE) ;
    - Crowd control effect are no longer working on and for you ;
    - Heal globe give you gold instead life ...
    And so on.PS : I appologise for my english, I'm French and I'm not realy skilled.

Monster Modifications
    Why don’t we add new stats for monsters or just improve existing ? There are a few ways to do this:

Increase hp and damage – easy way to do, but not very impressive
    Add stats listed below:
    Armor and resistances – armor system will be working like for our characters. More armor – more damage reduction. Monsters will have also additional, random resistance.
    Elemental damage – since Nightmare all monsters will hit us for additional, random element. Nightmare: additional 10% damage, Hell: 30%, Inferno: 70%.

That's all great and everything, but an increase in armour is effectively an increase in HP, which is, as you said, boring. As for the resistance, again that's all well and good but how much resistance will the monsters have? Too much and you're adding an RNG element to being able to kill anything, too little and it's pointless, may as well just increase HP instead.

As for the monster dealing elemental damage, great, but as others have said it doesn't matter if you are talking about cold, fire, or fluffy pony damage, it's all dealt with the same way by armour and resist all and is just a slightly shiny damage increase.

So in the end all you are doing is either increasing the difficulty of MP levels or adding more MP levels.
    Quote from Maffia

Monster Modifications
    Why don’t we add new stats for monsters or just improve existing ? There are a few ways to do this:

Increase hp and damage – easy way to do, but not very impressive
    Add stats listed below:
    Armor and resistances – armor system will be working like for our characters. More armor – more damage reduction. Monsters will have also additional, random resistance.
    Elemental damage – since Nightmare all monsters will hit us for additional, random element. Nightmare: additional 10% damage, Hell: 30%, Inferno: 70%.

That's all great and everything, but an increase in armour is effectively an increase in HP, which is, as you said, boring. As for the resistance, again that's all well and good but how much resistance will the monsters have? Too much and you're adding an RNG element to being able to kill anything, too little and it's pointless, may as well just increase HP instead.

As for the monster dealing elemental damage, great, but as others have said it doesn't matter if you are talking about cold, fire, or fluffy pony damage, it's all dealt with the same way by armour and resist all and is just a slightly shiny damage increase.

So in the end all you are doing is either increasing the difficulty of MP levels or adding more MP levels.

Increase armour - for every monster randomized value of armour.
    Monsters doing elemental dmg - I forgot to write, that those elements should have effects like mentioned in Primal Elements system.
    Monster skills - it could be great if monsters could have some skills, like in f.e D2 on Hell. Now it's boring.
    Quote from Vladh

Quote from maka

Very good ideas, and incredible work you put into it.
    My only problem are the costs. Like I've said in other threads, when you attach costs of tens of millions, then only the people that spend a lot of time on the AH can use it, leaving out the people that just like to spend their time in-game. Personally, I've never had 30M, for example.

I fully agree with you. If a Self Found ladder were to be implemented the costs should be drastically reduced. Maybe the costs should consist of just materials like demonic essences. Those high prices achieve nothing if the aim is to get away from the AH and personally i have never held on to more than 2 mil gold.

Same here, in my case, I have less than 10m gold either in sc or hc. But, the ideas mentioned by the OP are awesome.
    I'm going to modify a bit my Paragon Mastery idea that will fit better in system presented on Gamescon. Stay tuned ;)

Or RoS style:

Base tree:

All changes and ideas will be posted in another thread :)
    New style, later some descriptions and other tabs

Awesome, can't wait :)
    3/5 complete, sorry that can't show all, but I think it will take 2 days more to finish. Little spoiler for those, who can't wait ;)

Do you paint those passive icons yourself? :o
    No, most of them I got from http://www.wowwiki.com/WC3_Icons/Icon_List ;)
    MOAR SPOILERS!

Those icons look really nice and fit their categories pretty well :D keep up the great work!
    Quote from Zero(pS)

MOAR SPOILERS!

Those icons look really nice and fit their categories pretty well :D keep up the great work!

4/5 complete.

To do:
    - last screen + descriptions.

And as you wish, moar spoilers:

@Yellonek
    Where did you find the background (I mean the "window" image)?

I'm interested in RoS .png images :D
    All images are extracted from *.MPQ from orginal Diablo 3. Three minutes in Photoshop and from red to blue ;) Look at #27 post, there's image with orginal color.
    Thanks Yellonek!
    :lol: @ the pickup radius icon.
    Update:

- 5/5 tabs done.
    - 12/15 mastery (yup, surprise) icons + descriptions done
    - 14/20 skills description done

Can't wait to show it to you guys :Thumbs Up:
    Update:

http://www.diablofans.com/topic/102260-paragon-20-mastery-lets-discuss/

Finally done :)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes