[suggestion] radical reduction of AH influence

Well, something needs to be done. Items just need to leave the economy, just like in hardcore.
    Maybe introducing an idea that uses this concept could work.

I've always liked the idea of Imbue. Basically, players have the option to imbue items at the blacksmith, it can increase the base damage of weapons, as well as the stats of armor. The downside is that is binds it to your account. So, you have the choice, either never imbue anything, and keep the option of trading open, or increase the power of your character by say 20% but never be able to sell. The cost of Imbue would also use a large number of brimstones, so all these lower end set items/legendaries you see on the AH for like 50k gold, would be more valuable in form of a brimstone. The act of Imbue could also use specific ingredients, just like that of ubers, which allows the player to spend time hunting down components, adding to end game choices.

I'm not saying that's the answer, I bet most people would hate the idea, but it's not so much the specific idea as it is the bigger picture. Let items leave the economy. Ladders in D2 allowed this, just as deaths in hardcore, and unfortunately I don't think ladders in Diablo 3 would work very well. It's a very basic way of forcing resets, and although I liked it in D2 I think Blizzard could come up with something infinitely superior to this in design for Diablo 3, as I for one would dislike the idea of having to remake my character every 6 months after getting paragon 100.
    Quote from Snap7

Well, something needs to be done. Items just need to leave the economy, just like in hardcore.
    Maybe introducing an idea that uses this concept could work.

I've always liked the idea of Imbue. Basically, players have the option to imbue items at the blacksmith, it can increase the base damage of weapons, as well as the stats of armor. The downside is that is binds it to your account. So, you have the choice, either never imbue anything, and keep the option of trading open, or increase the power of your character by say 20% but never be able to sell. The cost of Imbue would also use a large number of brimstones, so all these lower end set items/legendaries you see on the AH for like 50k gold, would be more valuable in form of a brimstone.

That's a great idea! It's basically BoE plus a brimstone sink, another two birds out :)

And yes, paragon and ladder don't match at all.
    I apologize for any formating issues in my posts, I just can't use the new editor.Currently playing Magic 2014, see my thread:http://www.diablofans.com/topic/97565-magic-2014/
    Also, if you like Classics, try:Dungeons and Dragons Anthology ( http://www.gamersgat...ster-collection )
    @Snap7: I'm pretty sure that has been brought up before but still - completely agree, great idea. Just don't call it "imbue", people will compare it to D2 imbuing which was essentially just "find white item, level new char, give item to Charsi, done".

I'd rather call it something like... "enchanting". It could be done by some new NPC, for example some kind of old lady... let's call her "Mystic". Could look like that:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2m4vker.jpg *

Okay, to add something new, I would not simply put an additional affix on an item, but take one affix and change it. So you couldn't just take a crap Mempo and put crit on it, or socket every weapon, but you could take a 4% crit Mempo and hope for 6%. But you might also say the wrong words during the enchanting process and the affix would get reduced to 3% (or disappear). This enchantment would cost some brimstones and other materials, and loads of money - just to finally have one money sink. And if enchanting "fails" you would also remove that item from the economy (a 4% crit Mempo that would lose that stat loses 99% of its value). It wouldn't even need to become BoA.

* I know that "enchanting", "Mystic", and the image are all ideas from the beta, but I have seen so many "suggestion threads" lately that blatantly copy beta ideas without giving any credit... I don't give a damn anymore.
    Quote from Bagstone

* I know that "enchanting", "Mystic", and the image are all ideas from the beta, but I have seen so many "suggestion threads" lately that blatantly copy beta ideas without giving any credit... I don't give a damn anymore.

Haha, didn't sound like you wanted to take credit. Way too obvious.

I would not support a gold cost though. The item/gold balance is way out of line right now and if we further strengthen cash, strengthening items would lose it's point.

100k gold buys way too much these days, given that you can obtain that during normal mode. My opinion.
    I apologize for any formating issues in my posts, I just can't use the new editor.Currently playing Magic 2014, see my thread:http://www.diablofans.com/topic/97565-magic-2014/
    Also, if you like Classics, try:Dungeons and Dragons Anthology ( http://www.gamersgat...ster-collection )
    Quote from Serpenth

I understood it correctly which is why I stated it is unfair. As I've said, the Auction House is a valid form of trading and there is no reason players should be punished for using. I respect those who don't use it whether it be only playing self found or only trading with players via chat channels and forums.

From what I'm gathering from your reply is that there are people who simply believe the Auction House is a problem because it exists and not because of its functionality or consequences. That's also fine however it's irreversible at this point. Diablo III is going to have a functional Auction House for the rest of its existence.

I believe the auction house causes issues because of the way it functions. Basically it's just too powerful you can get the exact item from the auction house that you want and begin using it immediately....why is this an issue? because it far surpasses anything which could ever be achieved in game...it is the ultimate item source if you want an instant upgrade with very little playing of the game involved.

trading should imo not be a more powerful source of acquiring items than the game is-for individuals trading should be supplemental to your in game item finding activities

The main benefits of the auction house are that it grounds the in game currency and mitigates third party item sellers to an extent.

These features are worth preserving as they are the genuine improvements from D2 but these could be preserved without having it be the instantaneous, impersonal incomparably efficient source of items which it is now. thus as well as providing better item sinks etc the auction house should be reformed towards a system that supports and enhances in game trades. This would not punish people who want to trade more rather than less but would limit the efficiency of the auction house in a way that allows the developers to balance in game drops against a realistic trading source rather than an insurmountable one.

ATM individuals' in game drops cannot compete with the auction house and there's nothing the developers can do to resolve that without making it less powerful.
    Quote from Sagathiest

ATM individuals' in game drops cannot compete with the auction house and there's nothing the developers can do to resolve that without making it less powerful.

PoE doesn't have an AH, but people still complain that trading >>>>>>> drops.

The only problem that needs to be solved is that playing without the AH needs to feel rewarding. If some people want to shortcut their way to the top and then get bored... who cares? That's not a problem Blizzard should even bother attempting to solve.
    67.1k elite kills :: 1.98m total kills :: p255
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    The only problem that needs to be solved is that playing without the AH needs to feel rewarding.

Perhaps letting people add an extra affix to self found items, that would ofc be removed on trade. Maybe only after finding a corresponding pattern.

Item sinks

As far as item sinks go, perhaps the best(?) would be if good items salvaged into better parts. But finding a way for the game to realise that a perfect crit mempo is better then a perfectly rolled +lightning resist mempo is probably not as easy as it sounds (thinking about it, it even sounds hard tbh).

How about:
    A "special salvage", when salvaging you have to select one of the properties on the item and then you get a jewel of that affix with the rarity depending on the base item that then can be used to (have a chance to) improve an item of same rarity and that already has that affix.
    For instance salvaging a 3% crit mempo could give you a 3% crit legendary jewel (only crafting material, not D2 jewel). The 3% crit jewel could then be used on a 5% crit mempho to have a small chance to increase it to 5,5% (or 5,1%). The closer you get to max the smaller chance ofc and vice versa the better jewel the bigger chance. You could even imagine letting it go slightly above current max, at a very low success rate, so you could boost a mempo to perhaps 6,5% or 7% crit.

*Should special salvage only be allowed on self found items?
    *Should jewel also be locked to item slot? or perhaps people will salvage crit lacunis to boost their mempos.
    *Should items or jewels become BoA at some stage?
    *Perhaps better to skip middle step of the "jewel", so you would actually need to have both the 3% and the 5% crit mempo at hand. Upside would be you can't salvage a bad legendary to boost your good legendary?
    *Would the current steps of 0,5% be to big? Some would win lottery and succeed on 1st attempt and others would fail for a 100 or more.
    *Finding correct chance would be tricky. How many 3% should it take to get from 5 to 6% on average? 10? 100? and even trickier if you include going slightly past current max.
    *Perhaps the jewels should only be "of crit" without % no matter what the salvaged item had to save inventory space. Would also help with the fact that different slots has different max crit%.
    *Should a really low roll be allowed to go all the way to the top. Maybe starting value should affect chances too?

My personal preference would be to only allow special salvage on self found items and make jewels BoA as well as items you improve.

If I was a Blizz employee I would probably look at this and think "an ok idea but way to complicated", it is easy to come up with ideas but a lot harder to come up with ones that are simple enough.
    Quote from shaggy

Quote from Sagathiest

PoE doesn't have an AH, but people still complain that trading >>>>>>> drops.

The only problem that needs to be solved is that playing without the AH needs to feel rewarding. If some people want to shortcut their way to the top and then get bored... who cares? That's not a problem Blizzard should even bother attempting to solve.

Well i would presume that the players who are now bored as a result of short-cutting do care and that blizzard does not want bored players, secondly why should a short-cut exist in the first-place?? its not an intentional short-cut the auction house was not implemented to make the game much much easier but it does....

so yeah i disagree that all that needs to be handled is that playing without the auction house should be satisfying: its an equation as you stated: trading >>>> drops and any change that increases drops quality or quantity as an item source will make the short-cut shorter and even less enjoyable. Therefore i believe the auction house needs to be re-implemented in a way which makes it much less powerful.
    Quote from Sagathiest

This really got me thinking.

ALL the items in the ah once dropped for somebody. There is no other source for items than having them drop ingame. So when people say "the drops are too bad, look at all the nice items in the AH" they are really saying "MY drops are bad, I am jaelous cause I see that there are people who get better drops".

In my opinion.

Maybe I am wrong. Please enlighten me.
    I wonder if people realize that all the big money items don't even touch the RMAH or GMAH anymore. They are traded and sold outside of that format and have been for some time now. All people do is buy out the suckers who post their GG find at the 2b cap and then they flip it on another site (cough d2jsp) for more.

You either use the AH or you don't its not even in the top 10 things wrong and/or ruining the game at this point. Bigger fish to fry.
    Quote from Twoflower

Quote from Sagathiest

This really got me thinking.

ALL the items in the ah once dropped for somebody. There is no other source for items than having them drop ingame. So when people say "the drops are too bad, look at all the nice items in the AH" they are really saying "MY drops are bad, I am jaelous cause I see that there are people who get better drops".

In my opinion.

Maybe I am wrong. Please enlighten me.

No your totally right every item is originally found by someone(except for duping) but that's not the perspective which we are individually presented with. The AH is just like a giant vendor which allows you to search for any item in the game. That suggestion has been made allot by people( jealousy) but that does not cover the self found trend-people voluntarily choosing to not use the AH at all because they find it ruins their experience with the game, nor does it cover people finding the game too easy or boring as a result of using the AH.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes