Content Patch 1.0.9 Elemental Damage

Content Patch 1.0.9 Elemental Damage

Hello!
    Patch 1.0.9 will be a Content Patch as Blizzard mentioned.
    Probably you got some Ideas you would love to see in that patch? Here are some of mine.

In this thread I want to present some of my ideas regarding the itemization and customization in Diablo 3.
    At the beginning of Diablo 3 the developer mentionend they wanted to create the best game they possibly can. While they put a lot of time and effort into Diablo 3 and improved the game constantly with every patch, I dont think the game is where it wants to be or should be.
    In my view the biggest weak point of the game is a lack of customization. Basically every other character in the game looks like you, has more or less the same items and can everything you can just a little better or worse.

Even though the hack and slash part of Diablo 3 is a lot of fun, the rpg is half-baked.

Part 1:
    Dyeing
    Tonics
    Food and elixirs

Part 2:
    Elemental damage YOUR alternative to critical damage
    20 new Elemental item affixes
    Character Builts
    New Legendary Items

This is Part 2 of my Content Thread. While Part 1 was about basic improvements (item appearance) everyone allready thought about, this thread will be more complex and more detailed.

Elemental Damage

At that time it practically doesnt matter what Elemental Damage your Weapon does. Fire has more or less the same effect as Lightning. It may have an impact on the death animations of the monsters, but it shows no competitive individuality.

Giving each element its own unique effects may be a nice step to improve the customization and rpg-part in Diablo 3. In this thread I will show you my ideas for Elemental Damage, Legendarys that are based on this concept and other Legendary Items that make your Characters truly unique.

To gain more identity there have to be more item-affixes that improve certain playstyles.

Here is a list with new Elemental Affixes I would like to be implemented in the game:

These Properties would allow more diversity and customization. Other properties (that are allready in the game) are hardly usefull no matter how high they roll on your items.
    I would suggest that some affixes get removed from the game or roll very infrequent on items.

List of exchangable Affixes:

Melee attackers take ...–... damage per hit
    Level Requirement Reduced by ...–...
    Ignores Durability Loss
    +...–... Fire Resistance
    +...–... Cold Resistance
    +...–... Poison Resistance
    +...–... Lightning Resistance
    +...–... Arcane Resistance
    Health Globes and Potions Grant +...–... Life
    +...–... Life after Each Kill
    ...–...% Chance to Fear on Hit

It would be really really hard to ballance these affixes so they become usefull in diablo 3. Better change or remove them.

Elemental Damage Rules

By now Critical damage is the biggest damage boost for your character. With max stats critical damage multiplies your dps by x8!
    To be a reasonable alternative to Critical Damage, Elemental Damage needs new rules and restrictions.

New RULES:

- Elemental damage does no longer benefit from critical chance or critical damage.
    - Elemental damage/elemental damage effects on weapons and armor are independent of class
    skills.
    - Elemental damage profits from the characters main stat and from special affixes (like +25%
    Lightning damage)
    - To benefit from Elemental Affixes like e.g. cold affixes you have to have an ELEMENTAL SOURCE
    in your GEAR like a weapon with cold damage or a legendary armor piece with the affix +x-y cold
    damage (e.g. new Frostburn Gauntlets)
    Example: you wear: The Burning Axe of Sankis (Axe, fire damage) and Frostburn Gauntlets
    (Gloves, cold damage) so you can benefit from these Elemental affixes on your Gear:

+10-15% Chance to Spread Fire
    +4-5 Seconds Burning Duration
    +5-7% Chance for burning enemies to explode on kill (Legendary only)
    +15-30% to Fire Damage (does not affect fire skills)
    -5-10% Attack Speed for Cooled Enemies
    -5-6% Movement Speed for Cooled Enemies
    +2-3 Seconds Cooling Duration (Legendary only)
    +10-20% to Cold Damage (does not affect cold skills)

- All of your hits have elemental effects (independent of the skills that you use!)
    - Some of the new Elemental Affixes are exclusive for special legendary items and can not roll on
    rare items

Character Builts

Based on this concept there are many ways to built your unique hero. Here are some of my ideas:

Cold-Critical Barbarian:

Barbarians’ attacks are primarily melee focused. No other heroes can shrug off enemy attacks the way that barbarians do. Nevertheless they need heavy Armor and a lot of Life Steal to withstand hordes of demons. BUT: When you build your Barbarian with Cold Affix` Gear you can compensate your lack of vitality.

Max Cold Properties:
    -45-60% Attack Speed for Cooled Enemies
    -45-52% Movement Speed for Cooled Enemies
    +6-9 Seconds Cooling Duration (Legendary only)
    +80-160% to Cold Damage (does not affect cold skills)

These gauntlets drain the warmth from anything they touch.

So, instead of taking the hits you weaken your enemies to abysmal downs. Regrettably Cold Damage rolls low on items and to gain high Cold Properties you may have to abstain from important properties like All Resist or max life.

Fire-Critical Demon Hunter:

With sweeping blasts of shot, wide salvos of arrows and timed explosives at their disposal, demon hunters excel at devastating groups of foes who cluster together. But how about single-target-skills? Fire Damage rolls high on items and has powerfull offensive effects. The instance that 100% of your fire damage can be spread among close-by enemies makes fire suitable for strong single-target-skills like Impale, Evasive Fire or Rapid Fire.

Max Fire Properties:
    +70-115% Chance to Spread Fire
    +16-20 Seconds Burning Duration
    +15-24% Chance for burning enemies to explode on kill (Legendary only)
    +130-260% to Fire Damage (does not affect fire skills)

Balefire Caster

"Use fire to fight fire, I always say." —Demon Hunter Raykal

(((Corpsemourn)))

When you combine Fire Damage with Critical Damage your Demon Hunter will blast through monsters with blinding speed. Nevertheless you may need some extra discipline and life on hit to ballance your low defensive abilities (you are a Demon Hunter after all).

Poison-Thunderbolt Witch Doctor:

Witch Doctors first choice: Zombiebears and a lot of pets. But how about a built without ANY pets at all? Simple built: Poison to weaken and Lightning to roast your enemies.

Selected Max Poison and Lightning Properties:
    +24-46% Damage Reduction to venomed enemies
    +6-9 Seconds Poisoning Duration
    Venomed enemies take 24-32% more damage (Legendary only)

+45-60% Chance to release lightning bolts
    +160-300% Lightning Damage (does not affect lightning skills)

Edge of Hatred

Forged from bones of the high council members Ismail, Toorc and Geleb in Travincal. An irresistable cloud of pure hatred boils from within, erasing all sanity of anyone who dares to touch this weapon.

As long as you hit enemies with any skill the poison effects will demoralize the monsters. You get the idea.

Of course this system is far from any ballance. But it would make the game a lot more fun. You would probably look more closely at the rares you find, maybe you will find rare boots with cold, fire, poison and lightning properties, something that legendary boots will never archive. You will see that certain affixes are missing on some items (like attack speed or crit chance), so the items cant grant you the highest dps. But thats totally fine: In my opinion every legendary item should be created for a specific playstyle. If dps boosts are missing the legendary may improve your defensive abilities or give you very strong croud controll effects. The unique affixes on legendarys should make them invaluable and not the perfect roll of random magic properties.

Legendarys

Here are my Legendary Ideas. Probably I am gonna publish more Legendarys with time. Feel free to comment and bring up your own ideas. If anyone is interested I can upload some Item window skinns, so you can make your own Legendarys.

Its rather simple and takes just 5-8min with photoshop to create an item.

Blade of Torrid Light

A stonelike sword created in the recent past by an unknown master-blacksmith. The glow that emits from its edge is remindful of the destroyed Worldstone.

Arachnoid Immolator

An old relict found in a hidden spider cavern deep in the jungles of Kurast. Giving its owner great power, but at what cost?

Blood of Animosity

A dark fluid found in the Durance of Hate, where Mephisto, the Lord or Hatred, deceased 20 years ago.

Ghost Claw

Cut through flesh and soul with blinding speed.

Veil of Steel

This Great Helm gives impenetrable protection from anything and anyone. Withstanding mightful hits and dispiteous magic without a scratch.

Cat o´nine tails

A morbid weapon, forged in the depths of the burning hells to spread among pain and mania the living.

Worldstone Plate

Though the Worldstone got destroyed its fragments still hold great power. This plate is incredibly heavy but its wearer becomes capable of making the earth tremble with every strike.

Schatten Kralle

Sharp like the toenails of the Death.
    I commend your hard work, esp the illustrations, and enthusiasm.... but this type of stuff will in NO WAY make it into a patch b/c it will change the basic mechanics of the games core systems/ functions. If we are to see changes like this, it would be in the X Pac. Thanks for the interesting read- it has made work a little less boring today :Thumbs Up:
    Very nice, read the whole lot.

Do post this on Official forums but change title to, "My ideas for Diablo 3" or something equally generic.

Less they lock your thread.

=3
    Quote from Mob_Dylan

Very nice, read the whole lot.

Do post this on Official forums but change title to, "My ideas for Diablo 3" or something equally generic.

Less they lock your thread.

=3

This^^ Lord knows they need all the help they can get
    Looks great.

Got stuck on that chest piece with minus movement speed. Unless they increase the base movement speed by a lot, any decrease on a piece of gear i'd probably want, would make me want to cry in a corner and cut my wrists.
    Cudos on some things, but there could have been so much more...I like the "fire spreads". Many of the legendaries you have come up with are "cool" but they aren't different from what we've got. Creds for the effort although it does not reach far enogh.
    Make your peace...Quickly!
    Poison would be the only elemental affix worth taking, compared to the others you have proposed.
    Always enjoy these. They spark my imagination :D
    You make me wish that these things where alrdy ingame.

But I guess from a programers view this is so gamebreaking that it will need an xpack / testing to balance and implement.
    "Then at long last, Azmodan shall reign as the Prime Evil!"
    Nice, really nice. Well done, sir ;)

What's "Persistence" (gained per second on last weapon), anyways?
    Wow, great work on this! I really do think they need to bring back elemental damage. This alone can really help shift some items from being worthless to something that can be great for a niche build.

I dream that Blizzard would do something like this, but not really seeing them do it. :(
    Another nice post from fans! Like the claws especially. Also the idea of cold attacks to slow enemies and other elemental attacks to have their own function should work its way into patch 1.09!
    Of course these changes don't fit entirely with the current mechanics but they are very good ideas which can inspire and can be polished by Blizzard's team.
    Looking forward to the first official post regarding next patch :-ss
    Quote from DiabloManDan

I really do think they need to bring back elemental damage. This alone can really help shift some items from being worthless to something that can be great for a niche build.

Yes that was my plan. Its sad that elemental damage was cut off the game.
    I dont expect this system to be implemented into the game like that. Some of the mechanics dont fit entirely like Proof07 said.
    Actually some of them are way underpowered (I didnt want to provoke stupid op-talk here, the main topic in the battlenet-forums).

But I do think that some of the mechanics definitely can be implemented in patch 1.0.9:

Like you dont have to integrate the fire affixes, but you can create a Legendary weapon that has the unique affix to spread fire among the enemies.

Even though the weapon doesnt give you the highest dps, it´s unique affix may be the reason you equip it.
    That is the mission of a Legendary item :D

How about you?
    Didnt you dream up any Items with properties of massive concentrated awesomeness, so nice that you would never think about replacing it? Like the Worldstone Plate for example (my favourite)
    Quote from Zero(pS)

Op is refering to the assassin's resource as he thinks assassin will be present sometime in the future i guess :P
    Those Who Do Not Know True Pain Cannot Possibly Understand True Peace...
    I really like all the idea's the idea of the Worldstone Armor sounds really neat! I'd probably seek one out in hardcore :P
    www.myspace.com/mpotatoes for all your Trans Siberian Orchestra listening pleasure
    If you want to arrange it
    This world you can change it
    If we could somehow make this
    Christmas thing last

By helping a neighbor
    Or even a stranger
    And to know who needs help
    You need only just ask

Quote from Kallizk

Quote from Zero(pS)

Op is refering to the assassin's resource as he thinks assassin will be present sometime in the future i guess :P

Thats right. I would love to see the assassin in the expansion pack.

Actually I came up with some other Ideas of archetypes based on the current character classes:

Barbarian + Witch Doctor > Druid
    Demon Hunter + Monk > Assassin
    Monk + Barbarian > Paladin
    Wizard + Witch Doctor > Illusionist
    Witch Doctor + Demon Hunter > Necromancer
    Barbarian + Wizard > ?
    Nice work!
    i Love all of it!!!

Barbarian + Wizard > ? Battlemage ?

Someone who set his weapon and/or ground in flames/ice/thunder
    maybe set the whole char in flames/ice/thunder ... like a golem for 30sec every 2 min
    still 80% Melee of cource only CC @ Ranged mobs
    I like the idea of a hota/eathquake Elemental spreading Golem of Lighning or Ice / matching perfekt with your elemental-Thing above.
    "If you die you drag the slayer along"
    Awesome idea for a proc, damn i love it^^
    Would be a real "THATS WHAT YOU GET BRO!!" :D
    http://eu.battle.net...15/hero/3537963
    NoSignToLife

always happy to help/inform
    ingame or here ;)
    Do want Veil of Steel, uses my favourite D1 helm icon, would look epic on my Monk.
    Quote from NoSignToLife

"If you die you drag the slayer along"
    Awesome idea for a proc, damn i love it^^
    Would be a real "THATS WHAT YOU GET BRO!!" :D

Too op for pvp :P
    Those Who Do Not Know True Pain Cannot Possibly Understand True Peace...
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes