TryHard: Act 1 Farming Route

Hello again Diablo Fans! We're discussing act 1 monster density, the route we are going over is the one I personally use while farming act 1! Let me know what you think in the section below, if you have any area's you use differently please share :)

Link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u49eOlUfuA&feature=youtu.be
    As usual, many of us can't access videos all the time... could you summarize which zones you're looking at? Is it Woods -> Weeping Hollow -> Fields?
    There is a elite pack in front of Leorics manor for the 5. stack (nvm you kill it later). You can reach Weeping hollow faster from the waypoint cementary. For the northern highlands and LHG maybe the monster drops and or xp has been nerfed. You can check it from this post:

http://us.battle.net...ic/8770357797#7

But I'm not quite sure on the last one. Check for yourself.

greetings
    Quote from Bagstone

As usual, many of us can't access videos all the time... could you summarize which zones you're looking at? Is it Woods -> Weeping Hollow -> Fields?

It's Festering Woods >> Fields of Misery >> Weeping Hollow >> Northern Highlands >> Leoric's Hunting Grounds.
    And from there, you can go to Halls of Agony Level 2 and continue until you kill the Butcher.

My personal route is usually something like this:
    Festering Woods >> Leoric's Mansion >> Fields of Misery >> Weeping Hollow >> Defiled Crypts.

The first two areas are to gather NV stacks. The second and third are for EXP, and the occasional side-dungeons which are packed with monsters, Elites and a Resplendent Chest at the end. And the last ones are good for EXP and finding Elites.
    Interesting, thanks. I prefer to run Leoric's just after Woods, too, to make sure that I have 5 stacks before I get to the keywarden in the Fields... so essentially exactly the same route as you (though I don't do Crypts).

Thanks for posting his (and your) route. Maybe I should have a look again at the other areas, but I somehow don't like Highlands, if you're unlucky you spend hours running around without ever seeing an elite ;-)
    Quote from Bagstone

Interesting, thanks. I prefer to run Leoric's just after Woods, too, to make sure that I have 5 stacks before I get to the keywarden in the Fields... so essentially exactly the same route as you (though I don't do Crypts).

Thanks for posting his (and your) route. Maybe I should have a look again at the other areas, but I somehow don't like Highlands, if you're unlucky you spend hours running around without ever seeing an elite ;-)

You're welcome! And as for the crypts, I usually clear them to extend my run and take advantage of the 5 NV stacks for a bit longer before resetting and starting over. And the areas before the Mansion can be a little annoying for me so I usually pass them up; same with Halls of Agony.
    Due to that the bulk of experience gained is from white mobs, I always start with Leoric's for a guaranteed 1-2 Valor before heading over to Festering Woods. FW is a lot more dense in terms of white mobs and having 1-2 stacks before killing them would be more beneficial. This is also why I (more or less) rush the FW dungeons to pick up stacks as quickly as possible before clearing the area. Any white mobs killed without NV stacks is lost experience, that's why I focus on 5 stacks ASAP.

So my run would be Leoric's Manor >> FW Crypts >> FW Clear >> Weeping Hollow >> Fields of Misery. Previously I've only checked Northern Highlands for the tower but I will probably include a full clear in my later runs. I don't like all the ranged mobs there though.
    Quote from Kaoskadosk

Due to that the bulk of experience gained is from white mobs, I always start with Leoric's for a guaranteed 1-2 Valor before heading over to Festering Woods. FW is a lot more dense in terms of white mobs and having 1-2 stacks before killing them would be more beneficial. This is also why I (more or less) rush the FW dungeons to pick up stacks as quickly as possible before clearing the area. Any white mobs killed without NV stacks is lost experience, that's why I focus on 5 stacks ASAP.

So my run would be Leoric's Manor >> FW Crypts >> FW Clear >> Weeping Hollow >> Fields of Misery. Previously I've only checked Northern Highlands for the tower but I will probably include a full clear in my later runs. I don't like all the ranged mobs there though.

Nice little detail. Getting NV stacks first and then clearing out the bulk of white monsters does maximize your EXP gain.

So finishing Leoric's Mansion first is a good idea since it can net you 1 to 3 stacks. Then, you can head into the Festering Woods' mini-dungeons for 2 more. From there, you clear Festering Woods and continue onward to other areas.
    I'm still using the route in my sig :)
    question:

do you guys bother doing those side caves that fields and weeping has or do you skip them? i know doing them will make the run longer but are they significant?
    Some of them are insane, especially the Decaying Crypt (as was recently mentioned here) is something no one should leave behind for sure. But most of the side dungeons I skip (for now). I think it's pretty much up to the individual, some of the side dungeons can be quite rewarding and are underestimated; after all you get to kill lots of mobs and 3+ elite packs in ~2 mins or so - not always the case on Fields or Weeping if you get a bad "random map".
    Haven't done a well-rounded reasearch on it but going to defiled crypts feels like a waste of time. (Not a big waste but still a waste.) Too much time is being wasted on running between packs and they aren't much dense at all.

Keeping on playing after festering + weeping + fields are over is not time efficient since you can just get 3 to 5 stacks from festering woods around 5minutes after you left the previous game and proceed on clearing the real dense zones.
    Quote from Angred

Haven't done a well-rounded reasearch on it but going to defiled crypts feels like a waste of time. (Not a big waste but still a waste.) Too much time is being wasted on running between packs and they aren't much dense at all.

Agree. Decaying Crypt is awesome, Defiled Crypt is a waste of time.

I think these two are often being mixed up.
    Quote from Bagstone

Quote from Angred

Agree. Decaying Crypt is awesome, Defiled Crypt is a waste of time.

I think these two are often being mixed up.

Decaying Crypt is amazing for sure, but the Defiled Crypts are fine. They certainly won't be attractive to those who are hellbent on efficiency though.
    what i hate about decaying crypt is the backtracking due to dead end or meeting entrance to 2nd level without having scouted the entire first level yet >_

how does one avoid this
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes