Pick a New Class

Hi Guys and Gals!

I've just been thinking the past weeks about what new class will be brought with the coming of the future Expansion pack for D3

My main thoughts go to a STR class. First, there are 2 INT users, 2 dex users, but only 1 STR user?
    Second, there are 3 ranged classes, but only 2 melee (not counting CMW).

I'd love to see a real tanking class. A big support guy that has VIT as main stat. Not like a WoW tank. But somewhat of a barb/wiz (not a barb-monk cuz thats just a paladin from d2 :P)

But thats just my thoughts, what are yours?
    Things i want you to build up your ideas with:

Name of the class?
    Weapon types?
    Main stat? (STR, VIT, DEX, INT)
    Powers/Skills?
    What can this class bring to a group? (exept a s*itload of dps :P)

Have a great time and discusion, aaand...
    Let the creativity flow!
    You are not anonymous on the Internet.
    And yes, you're a fool if you ever thought you were.
    I agree that it should definitely be a STR class. I somehow miss the Paladin - while the monk has some of it's abilities, the playstyle is so vastly different... and the quick movements just don't work for a STR class nor for a Paladin.

In terms of group play, I think the class should not bring too much to the table. Everyone wants to play the new class anyways, and if it has strong multiplayer abilities, all the other classes are even more useless. Right now there are already some classes that bring almost nothing to the table except for DPS (DH anyone?). I'd like to see more skills that benefit group play, but at first existing classes should get buffs (i.e., some of the existing skills need to apply for the entire group, not just for a character).

So let's think about what the game does *not* offer yet.
    • An engineer. Not sure how this would look like, in some other games engineers carry guns, which don't fit D3 and I also think a melee class would be better... would be kinda cool if the class weapon would be a wrench. But again, doesn't really fit with Tristram...
    • A druid. Some kind of shape shifter. Maybe even something darker, a werewolf or so; something that has touched the evil but its inner soul resisted and is now fighting evil. Could actually be a cool thing - in disguise it could "turn over" enemies as it appears to be on their side, and occasionally it might just go on chaotic rampage dealing damage in an uncontrolled manner anywhere to anything (Apocalypse spell from D1 anyone). Again, would be nice if this could not be the leather (WoW) class, but something wearing plate and using STR, some hard-hitting melee monster.
    • Going completely crazy here, what about some farmer? Recruiting some people from the local area around Tristram, it could be someone who works on a farm. Or a lumberjack. Would definitely fit with the STR requirement, and would also fit to the melee class theme (weapons of choice an axe, pitchfork, and so on). It could unleash cows and pigs or animals of the forest on its enemies, or even have an army of trees (Ents, for all LotR fans).
    I hope Blizzard goes crazy here and does something "unusual" rather than the obvious recycling of existing/previous classes. Let's see :-)
    Amazing input, you have some really good points there!
    That farmer idea is hilarious, nothing for the diablo world imho, but man, i LOVE the way you think. "Bonkers" is the least i can say!

Keep it going guys! We have a really good start here! :)
    How about an Fallen Angel class? They could throw in some backstory explaining that Tyrael was not the first angel to choose to become human, which would make the original game's plot easier to swallow as well. Also, we know that Tyrael kept a good deal of his angelic strength/powers after he became human, so that would explain the classes' ability to hang with Nephalem. Angels would be a good strength class, and I picture them being a mix of a paladin and druid; maybe they could summon "good" pets similar to the way that witch doctors summon "bad" ones (think druids vs. necros in D2)?
    i would choose my own religion and worship my own spirit, but if he ever preached to me i wouldn't want to hear it. i'd drop him, a forgotten god, languishing in shame; and then if i hit stormy seas, i'd have myself to blame. Zhaph#1849
    Quote from Zhaph

How about an Fallen Angel class? They could throw in some backstory explaining that Tyrael was not the first angel to choose to become human, which would make the original game's plot easier to swallow as well. Also, we know that Tyrael kept a good deal of his angelic strength/powers after he became human, so that would explain the classes' ability to hang with Nephalem. Angels would be a good strength class, and I picture them being a mix of a paladin and druid; maybe they could summon "good" pets similar to the way that witch doctors summon "bad" ones (think druids vs. necros in D2)?

Im so sorry, I like where you're going with this, but this will never happen sadly just because of one simple reason; Angles can never be nephalem. The nephalem was the race born by the bond between Inarius and Lillith. (Angel and demon).
    And if your hero is no nephalem, you wont be able to fit the lore in the 4 first acts.

Sorry if i broke your spirits. :(

Name of the class?
    Weapon types?
    Powers/Skills?

Let the creativity flow!

Druid

Uses class-specific gloves (bear and wolf claws) and class-specific shoulders (pelt cloaks and feathered wing shoulders- EEAAGLEE) Would be using 1h + shields preferably.

Mainstats: Strengh all the way! Uses nature energy as resource.

Shapeshifting into werewolf/bear and eagle/griffin (not werebear because they looked like shit). Passives that effects shields and make them interesting and useful. Healthglobes increase duration of transmorf form!

Born in Entsteig in the Sharval Wilds.

Blood templar

Uses twohanded swords (creatswords, claymores), onehanded swords and templar shields.

Mainstat would be vitality! The class is based on life and blood.

Would use bleeds, debuffs and reflect skills. Has a base life regeneration but skills use your health as resource. Be careful so you don't spend all your life on attacks!! Passives that makes shields and thorns beneficial!

Born in Westmarsh.

Bard

Uses staves and daggers, and musical instruments. Throwing weapons such as throwing knives and throwing daggers.

Mainstat: The bard benefits from all stats, each mainstat proved 0,3% damage boost. Vitality gives the bard life, as all the other classes in the game. Uses mood as resource.

Has basic melee combat and some simple throwing abilities. Skills are based on the bards ability to play music that affects the enemy. Bombarding soundwaves and manipulative hymns blast away or curse his enemies.

Brings classpecific party buffs (Barbarians gain max fury and DHs gain max disc. and so on) and musicbased debuffs on enemies.

The character is a traveling bard but was born in Kingsport.

Edit: added the bard class
    Make your peace...Quickly!
    Quote from Elendiro

Name of the class?
    Weapon types?
    Powers/Skills?

Let the creativity flow!

Realistic answer:
    Druid
    Uses class-specific gloves (bear and wolf claws) and class-specific shoulders (pelt cloaks and feathered wing shoulders- EEAAGLEE) Would be using 1h + shields preferably.
    Mainstats: Strengh all the way!
    Shapeshifting into werewolf/bear and eagle/griffin (not werebear because they looked like shit). Passives that effects shields and make them interesting and useful. Healthglobes increase duration of transmorf form!

Inspirational class:
    Blood templar
    Uses twohanded swords (creatswords, claymores), onehanded swords and templar shields.
    Would use bleeds, debuffs and reflect skills. Has a base life regeneration but skills use your health as resource. Be careful so you don't spend all your life on attacks!! Passives that makes shields and thorns beneficial!

AMAZING just marvelous! Oh man thats great, why didnt i come up with that class!? /jelly
    Love the idea for class specifics for druids aswell. A perfect fit!
    Man this got my head spinning! :D
    Quote from Shooa

Im so sorry, I like where you're going with this, but this will never happen sadly just because of one simple reason; Angles can never be nephalem. The nephalem was the race born by the bond between Inarius and Lillith. (Angel and demon).
    And if your hero is no nephalem, you wont be able to fit the lore in the 4 first acts.

Sorry if i broke your spirits. :(
    It's okay, I'm not heartbroken (I knew angels != Nephalem lore-wise), we're just spitballing ideas here. ;) In some ways, though, I think that with an expansion it's okay to have new characters break into new territories rather than just fit them into an existing mold. Besides, almost all of the lore in-game comes from NPC interactions between or during quests, and all of these interactions are already character-specific, so they could easily be tweaked to explain a non-Nephalem class. Will Blizzard ever create a non-Nephalem class for D3? I doubt it the same as you, but I still think it would be neat.
    i would choose my own religion and worship my own spirit, but if he ever preached to me i wouldn't want to hear it. i'd drop him, a forgotten god, languishing in shame; and then if i hit stormy seas, i'd have myself to blame. Zhaph#1849
    Am I the only one who wants the good old classics back?

tl/dr:

I want the Paladin back, the holy, S/S-fighter, he could be str- or str/int-based.
    Maybe a light dual-wielding class like the Rogue in WoW, w/o Stealth though.

rant:

I was very disappointed when they created such "innovative" classes in place of the D2 chars. As if they could change the archetypes (fighter, caster, archer..)... ;)

Formally, they only wanted to keep the Barb, because it was lacking in D2. They renamed the Sorceress to Wizard and that's the only class I'm fine with, lore-wise.

But...

Amazon => DH: At least the core mechanics of the Archer class are still there, they only took away the nice face and the usefulness.

Necromancer => WD: Away from the cool Undead-theme to this.. product of weed. Mechanics fine.

Paladin => Monk: GARBAGE!! First, we don't have an S/S archetype anymore, role goes to the Barb, a fierce brute, yeah right. We get a class that traditionally fights w/o any equipment in a loot-based game. C'mon.. For those, who don't remember: He didn't even have attack animations for weapons back in the days.
    Mechanics: He still has auras but all the cool stuff from D2 is somehow gone, he's just an ugly, annoying (both genders) version of the Barb with some i-win pvp immunity skill.

Soooo..

Please give me some regular fantasy fun. Not this new age crap ;)
    I apologize for any formating issues in my posts, I just can't use the new editor.Currently playing Magic 2014, see my thread:http://www.diablofans.com/topic/97565-magic-2014/
    Also, if you like Classics, try:Dungeons and Dragons Anthology ( http://www.gamersgat...ster-collection )
    @Solmyr77: Yes, most people want new stuff.

I also disagree with your breakdown of D2->D3 class conversion, almost completely.

"They wanted to keep the barb, because it was lacking in D2"? Not sure what you mean. D2 barb was awesome, I level several WW barbs, the only problem was Iron Maiden (i.e., I avoided CS).

"They renamed sorceress to wizard"... Well, and then they changed everything else. The playstyle of a D2 sorc and of a D3 wizard are so COMPLETELY different. My favorite main char in D2 was Blizzard sorc - gone. Blizzard in D3 is just so "different", you can't spam it anymore because it doesn't stack and you have to combine it with something else. Crap. Archon, CMWW is completely new and does not resemble any of the D2 elements/skills. Firewall? Gone. Maybe Hydra and Meteor are somewhat similar, but no one plays any of them at the moment in D3. While my main in D2 was sorc and my main in D3 is wizard, the "feeling" is completely different.

"Amazon => DH": There's more to it. My friend played his DH like a TrapSin for a while (and quite successful, actually). DH is an amazon with some spells of the assassin from D2. And with discipline and hatred they have two resource pools which make their playstyle quite different as well (although the removal of the old Nat bonus was merely a setback).

"Necromancer => WD": It might look so on the surface, but I personally felt more that the WD mimicks a WoW warlock rather than a D2 necro. Can't really tell why, but just *feels* different when you play it.

"Paladin => Monk": Oh boy, you clearly didn't play Diablo 1. The monk is a fast-paced killing machine with light armor (at least lore-wise), and his supernatural abilities come from his spiritual background. He resembles a peaceful character and spent years meditating. The paladin is a plate armored class, therefore slow but steady and hard-hitting. It's magical abilities are drawn from pure sorcery and his intention is to cleanse the world from all evil, towards which he has developed a hatred that drives him in using whatever is necessary to kill his enemies.

The only similarity between the paladin and monk are the auras/mantras, that's it. The monk is rather a rogue (again borrowed from WoW) than a paladin.

That being said, I agree with your opening statement (bring back the paladin) - I would definitely play that; but I think since the auras were converted to monk's mantras and he even got the heal feature, it's not gonna happen. And I also agree with your last sentence: "give me some regular fantasy fun". I define fantasy fun for me as something that is out of the ordinary and not just a resemblance of what we've seen in 10000 other games before.
    Quote from Bagstone

@Solmyr77: Yes, most people want new stuff.

Sure, but I was only talking about theme and lore etc. I want to keep the good stuff and improve on it. Car manufacturers wouldn't suddenly build only pink and purple cars just because black, blue and white ones have already been there, would they?

I also disagree with your breakdown of D2->D3 class conversion, almost completely.

"They wanted to keep the barb, because it was lacking in D2"? Not sure what you mean. D2 barb was awesome, I level several WW barbs, the only problem was Iron Maiden (i.e., I avoided CS).

They were great in Classic, no disagreement from my side, I just stated, what Blizz said themselves during the development of the game. It went like "We feel, we can make a better Barb but there is no room for improvement on the other classes, so give you brand new ones."

"They renamed sorceress to wizard"... Well, and then they changed everything else. The playstyle of a D2 sorc and of a D3 wizard are so COMPLETELY different. My favorite main char in D2 was Blizzard sorc - gone. Blizzard in D3 is just so "different", you can't spam it anymore because it doesn't stack and you have to combine it with something else. Crap. Archon, CMWW is completely new and does not resemble any of the D2 elements/skills. Firewall? Gone. Maybe Hydra and Meteor are somewhat similar, but no one plays any of them at the moment in D3. While my main in D2 was sorc and my main in D3 is wizard, the "feeling" is completely different.

Sure, new mechanics, that's fine! And exactly the part of new, that I agree with. But it remains the same archetype: A fragile cloth-wearer who rains down ice and fire on the opposition. What Wizards always have been and always shall be.

"Amazon => DH": There's more to it. My friend played his DH like a TrapSin for a while (and quite successful, actually). DH is an amazon with some spells of the assassin from D2. And with discipline and hatred they have two resource pools which make their playstyle quite different as well (although the removal of the old Nat bonus was merely a setback).

Ok, we have more versatility, because they kind of merged the two classes, the resource system is fine, too. And they did have their time of power in D3, it's been the class that I beat Inferno with first.

But again, this is all mechanics, I just liked the beauty from D2 better as the Archer of the game.

"Necromancer => WD": It might look so on the surface, but I personally felt more that the WD mimicks a WoW warlock rather than a D2 necro. Can't really tell why, but just *feels* different when you play it.

Same story, I refer to the theme, you to the mechanics ;)

"Paladin => Monk": Oh boy, you clearly didn't play Diablo 1. The monk is a fast-paced killing machine with light armor (at least lore-wise), and his supernatural abilities come from his spiritual background. He resembles a peaceful character and spent years meditating. The paladin is a plate armored class, therefore slow but steady and hard-hitting. It's magical abilities are drawn from pure sorcery and his intention is to cleanse the world from all evil, towards which he has developed a hatred that drives him in using whatever is necessary to kill his enemies.

The only similarity between the paladin and monk are the auras/mantras, that's it. The monk is rather a rogue (again borrowed from WoW) than a paladin.

And wouldn't you like that Rogue better, actually using the shiny blades and knifes that you find? ;)

That being said, I agree with your opening statement (bring back the paladin) - I would definitely play that; but I think since the auras were converted to monk's mantras and he even got the heal feature, it's not gonna happen. And I also agree with your last sentence: "give me some regular fantasy fun". I define fantasy fun for me as something that is out of the ordinary and not just a resemblance of what we've seen in 10000 other games before.

Well, I'm not totally against new stuff, quite the contrary, though I don't like the direction, a lot of companies are going ;)
    I apologize for any formating issues in my posts, I just can't use the new editor.Currently playing Magic 2014, see my thread:http://www.diablofans.com/topic/97565-magic-2014/
    Also, if you like Classics, try:Dungeons and Dragons Anthology ( http://www.gamersgat...ster-collection )
    umm... the monk is a mix of the assassin and paladin aura's.

Fast attacks, dual wield = greater damage mitigation (if specked), both fast moving, both quickly build up charges or spirit to unload big damage abilities, claws/fist weapons, flying kicks, both summon "clones" of them selves, and they share similar stat allocations such as Dex. The main thing the monk doesn't have is traps, which basically got swapped with aura's from a paladin.

back to being on topic I think a druid would be best but with a twist. If you spec for wolf or bear (assuming the druid would be similar to D2) STR would be your main stats but if your going for more mage or summon then INT would be your main stat. Have the abilities draw power from different stats... could be interesting, just figure I'd throw that out there. I'm not sure what else would be a great STR class as there really only has been the warrior/barb in the Diablo series.
    Playing Diablo since 97. I know nothing and having nothing good to say, I be a troll.
    Quote from Slayerviper

umm... the monk is a mix of the assassin and paladin aura's.

I couldnt agree more ....
    Lovely to so many great ideas!
    Keep it going guys!
    Lets keep creating new classes (for D3) , not discuss old ones :)
    Quote from Elendiro

Name of the class?
    Weapon types?
    Powers/Skills?

Let the creativity flow!

Druid

Blood templar

Born in Westmarsh.

^ this.
    Those Who Do Not Know True Pain Cannot Possibly Understand True Peace...
    Without having any more specific ideas, it bothers me that 2h weapons and shields seem like such a waste. That said, I'd agree w/ melee class that gets a nice buff for using said items. That way maybe I can actually AH them instead of vendor them!
    I always loved the anti-paladin thing. That Blood Templar idea has some serious legs. a Str/Vit class is what I would like. I loved the Death Knight in WoW and It would be neat to see a Blood Knight/Templar/Paladin type thing.
    Quote from Elendiro

Blood templar

Born in Westmarsh.

This Is somthing I found realy interesting. I realy like the thorns idea with him having alot of vitality.. Would definately bring some fun builds to the game :)
    Quote from Elendiro

Name of the class?
    Weapon types?
    Powers/Skills?

Let the creativity flow!

Druid

Blood templar

Born in Westmarsh.

Bard

Uses staves and daggers, and musical instruments. Throwing weapons such as throwing knives and throwing daggers.

Mainstat: The bard benefits from all stats, each mainstat proved 0,3% damage boost. Vitality gives the bard life, as all the other classes in the game. Uses mood as resource.

Has basic melee combat and some simple throwing abilities. Skills are based on the bards ability to play music that affects the enemy. Bombarding soundwaves and manipulative hymns blast away or curse his enemies.

Brings classpecific party buffs (Barbarians gain max fury and DHs gain max disc. and so on) and musicbased debuffs on enemies.

The character is a traveling bard but was born in Kingsport.

Edit: added the bard class

I've been voting for the druid + a 'dark templar' type for awhile, and I think the blood knight fits that role. Not a fan of the bard though, to be honest.

I like your druid ideas, but remember each class has a specific weapon and a specific armor slot for it. I personally would vote for class specific shoulders (like the eagle feathers idea) and I'd add in a class specific weapon - the Glaive. You could easily make both 1 and two handed glaives, just like the sword goes 1 and 2 handed, and that'd help diversify if people want 1H + shield or a 2 hander.

Plus, I LOVE the look of glaives.

Oh and the resource for the druid could be green!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChB2_IPc-HVXbi0jS1Riljg
    ^ YouTube.Com/IceBleuGaming ! It's a thing! Check it oooout!
    Unfortunately, the devs made it difficult to create a new class that doesn't already explore themes or abilities that the other five do not. They gave the five characters we have now broad ranges of themes that encompased two or so characters out of the original seven from Diablo 2. Because of that, any new character idea, whether that be a druid, paladin, or blood knight, will be borrowing themes and similar abilities from the other characters, which wouldn't really introduce anything all that new. Although it's possible with clever design, there are other ways to help these roles come to life.

In my personal opinion, I think the Devs should do more exploration on role specific abilities/passives/item affixes.

If they can give us abilities and passives that help define more specific roles for the current five classes, then we can take on roles very similar if not exact to druids, blood knights, and paladins. Also, adding new item affixes to help compliment these more specific roles based off the new abilities/passives can help us achieve far more diversity with the characters that we have never had.

But, with that being said, I do understand the want for something different, and a new set of classes would certainly be interesting. I'm just not so sure that one can be made that is very different from the other classes. The blood-knight idea, however, that was mentioned above is certainly a start, because we seem to lack a class that mainstats STR and INT.

(On a side note, everyone "mains" VIT so to speak.)
    Jellyfish are the one and only true Wizards
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes