RE: The Endless Dungeon Topic

Or an alternative to point 3..
    Softcore endless dungeon- You can die and logout/in as many times as you want and not lose progression. You cannot use AH, Trade, or drop items to party members in this game mode (character bound drops/items). Endless dungeon ladder system is reset every few months..
    Quote from CheehC

1) An alternative to the current game mode. Similair to PVP in that the main thing gained from playing these modes are GLORY - NOT REWARD. If you make it a reward system then you replace Inferno if it is more effecient to gain items/gold/experience etc
    2) An improved version of the Ladder System in D2- Who can get down to the furthest level? Cheehc has reached Level 982 etc...

I agree with you there and I think that under those two stipulations an endless dungeon could, actually, add something to the game. I am honestly skeptical because I think that the majority of people who want an endless dungeon would not want it if it didn't drop loot. I think that the majority of people who keep parrotting "D3 needs an endless dungeon" really just want "enhanced farming mode" and very little would dissuade me of that opinion short of Blizzard implementing it with no loot, no XP, and people not complaining about it.

That being said, I do think that a "glory only" endless dungeon actually provides a better-than-ladder "competition" for people to engage in without otherwise altering the actual game. I mean when you played ladder toons it didn't give you better farming, it was simply a separate pool of characters. The game, inherently, remained the same save for a few runewords and uniques. A "glory only" endless dungeon would, essentially, provide the same general function without segregating characters, which, IMO, is a good thing. I've never been a fan of continually subdividing characters.

I don't think that no-AH is really what a "proving grounds" needs, though. I think it simply should be a place where you go to test how badass your character is, regardless of where you got your gear.
    67.1k elite kills :: 1.98m total kills :: p255
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Quote from shaggy

I think that the majority of people who keep parrotting "D3 needs an endless dungeon" really just want "enhanced farming mode" and very little would dissuade me of that opinion short of Blizzard implementing it with no loot, no XP, and people not complaining about it.

Testify, brother.
    Check out my blog at archmagelezard.blogspot.com :Thumbs Up:

Quote from shaggy

Quote from CheehC

1) An alternative to the current game mode. Similair to PVP in that the main thing gained from playing these modes are GLORY - NOT REWARD. If you make it a reward system then you replace Inferno if it is more effecient to gain items/gold/experience etc
    2) An improved version of the Ladder System in D2- Who can get down to the furthest level? Cheehc has reached Level 982 etc...

I agree with you there and I think that under those two stipulations an endless dungeon could, actually, add something to the game. I am honestly skeptical because I think that the majority of people who want an endless dungeon would not want it if it didn't drop loot. I think that the majority of people who keep parrotting "D3 needs an endless dungeon" really just want "enhanced farming mode" and very little would dissuade me of that opinion short of Blizzard implementing it with no loot, no XP, and people not complaining about it.

That being said, I do think that a "glory only" endless dungeon actually provides a better-than-ladder "competition" for people to engage in without otherwise altering the actual game. I mean when you played ladder toons it didn't give you better farming, it was simply a separate pool of characters. The game, inherently, remained the same save for a few runewords and uniques. A "glory only" endless dungeon would, essentially, provide the same general function without segregating characters, which, IMO, is a good thing. I've never been a fan of continually subdividing characters.

I don't think that no-AH is really what a "proving grounds" needs, though. I think it simply should be a place where you go to test how badass your character is, regardless of where you got your gear.

Yeah "enhanced faming mode" does seem the drive for some.
    To me the endless dungeon is a 'solution' best fitted to address the problem a portion of the playerbase have of there not being a Ladder system in D3.

If people want improved farming/new content to run for reward - There are better ideas that can be implemented.. one of which is a full scale expansion..

I say no AH because for a Ladder system I think it should be a even playing field, in that the idea -should be a coupled with it being a 'Self Found' mode.
    Quote from Lezard_Valeth
    It's Diablo, not a roguelike, and I don't ever want it to be some kind of hipster indie game clone. The solution should be dungeon content quality, not quantity.

While I can certainly agree with the fact that quality is (far) better than quantity, I still have this feeling that Diablo *is* directly descended from Rogue, Moria, Nethack et al.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes