Gold duping in diablo

I only read OP and a few posts here and there, so if someone addressed this. I apologize for the redudancy.

I agree that it is partially Blizzard's fault. But by agreeing to the terms of service you acknowlege the account is RENTED. You do not own any of the characters, items, or anything on it. You agreed not to abuse any glitch or dupe and to abide by the rules. In turn, it's ALSO your fault. Blame is on both ends. End of story. Anyone who knowingly duped gold should definitely have their account banned.
    Quote from overneathe

Quote from tanis0

This is probably something that dev should have asked QA to test. I'm not necessarily saying it's QA's fault, but it is definitely somebody's fault. Don't they have test case reviews where people are supposed to point out things which need to be tested? If so, why wasn't one of them "sell a large amount of gold and then cancel it to make sure the refund works properly"? Somebody clearly dropped the ball here.

@Mamba: We don't know. I think Blizzard will find some way to resolve this. I just can't say for sure what it will be yet. It appears that they are trying to avoid rolling back, and it sounds like at least some paypal transactions are being rolled back, but we have no real way to know right now.

That's not how you do QC. You test the things that have changed in that patch. The RMAH had no changes.

Didn't they change the gold limit for auctions? I mean that's the whole reason this dupe was possible. They fiddled with the AH and created some overflow error. They didn't bother testing and here we are.
    They are gonna come down HARD on ppl who actually used this exploit... Latest update confirms no rollback and that they focus on the accounts that actually used it.

Fingers crossed for perma bans of the exploiters, yes pls.
    Quote from KingKongor

I am truely sad honestly....I hope blizzard gets themselfs together again soon!
    I WANT OLD BLIZZARD BACK !

"The game is done when its done"

For being speechless, there was quite a lot you had to say. Although you didn't really say anything meaningful. My favorite part is "gold duping... in Diablo... how can this even happen..." and "I want the old Blizzard back". => Maybe you should go and install the older Diablo of the old Blizzard that you want "back". Hint: Gold duping in Diablo 1 was the easiest thing ever. Sure you want that back?

Man, there are so many things so wrong about this video, please just stop. I'll stop here myself because everything I would have to say would get me an infraction.
    Quote from tommos

Quote from overneathe

Quote from tanis0

This is probably something that dev should have asked QA to test. I'm not necessarily saying it's QA's fault, but it is definitely somebody's fault. Don't they have test case reviews where people are supposed to point out things which need to be tested? If so, why wasn't one of them "sell a large amount of gold and then cancel it to make sure the refund works properly"? Somebody clearly dropped the ball here.

@Mamba: We don't know. I think Blizzard will find some way to resolve this. I just can't say for sure what it will be yet. It appears that they are trying to avoid rolling back, and it sounds like at least some paypal transactions are being rolled back, but we have no real way to know right now.

That's not how you do QC. You test the things that have changed in that patch. The RMAH had no changes.

Didn't they change the gold limit for auctions? I mean that's the whole reason this dupe was possible. They fiddled with the AH and created some overflow error. They didn't bother testing and here we are.

I just don't like when we 100% blame Blizz, when it's the greedy exploiters whom are to blame for taking advantage. I hope they all get perma-banned, chars wiped....fucking gone. Whatever it is about the nature of people like this, they never seem to grasp the concept of consequence.

I say...make an example out of them and destroy their accounts with the same disregard that these players attempt to destroy our game.
    Quote from Bagstone

Hint: Gold duping in Diablo 1 was the easiest thing ever.

Hint: There was no RMAH in Diablo 1.
    Quote from ruksak

Quote from tommos

Quote from overneathe

Quote from tanis0

I just don't like when we 100% blame Blizz, when it's the greedy exploiters whom are to blame for taking advantage. I hope they all get perma-banned, chars wiped....fucking gone. Whatever it is about the nature of people like this, they never seem to grasp the concept of consequence.

I say...make an example out of them and destroy their accounts with the same disregard that these players attempt to destroy our game.

Agreed. I am not exactly sure what these guys thought would happen while they did this. Obviously they are "elite" players if they are streaming all the time, so why would you purposefully do something to put yourself at risk? How are these guys not the most hated people in the D3 universe right now? They have completely derailed the game for the time being because no one knows what is going to happen. A bug was missed, these cool kids took advantage of it and ruined it for everyone.

And just a quick vent- I've been checking the official forums for updates periodically and I have no idea how some of the posters on there even get dressed everyday, if they do. Most of them demanding a roll back sound like they cant even tie their own shoes. Its such a ragefest on there of guys repeatedly saying theyre quitting. Its a joke. I am not really sure how you can keep saying youre quitting (some have even said they quit MONTHS ago, wtf?), yet keep posting. The world is so full of drama queen kids nowadays.
    How are they going to get all the trillions of gold out of circulation? Most of it has gone through one or both auction houses. If the clean out is not thorough everyone can say goodbye to the economy. It's hard enough for people to buy upgrade before the duping but now it's going to be impossible.

I really hoped Blizzard would just bite the bullet and do a rollback.
    Quote from SexyShane

Agreed. I am not exactly sure what these guys thought would happen while they did this. Obviously they are "elite" players if they are streaming all the time, so why would you purposefully do something to put yourself at risk? How are these guys not the most hated people in the D3 universe right now? They have completely derailed the game for the time being because no one knows what is going to happen. A bug was missed, these cool kids took advantage of it and ruined it for everyone.

And just a quick vent- I've been checking the official forums for updates periodically and I have no idea how some of the posters on there even get dressed everyday, if they do. Most of them demanding a roll back sound like they cant even tie their own shoes. Its such a ragefest on there of guys repeatedly saying theyre quitting. Its a joke. I am not really sure how you can keep saying youre quitting (some have even said they quit MONTHS ago, wtf?), yet keep posting. The world is so full of drama queen kids nowadays.

+1....fuck the noise.

The patch is a giant step forward, despite the setbacks and glitches.
    Quote from tommos

How are they going to get all the trillions of gold out of circulation? Most of it has gone through one or both auction houses. If the clean out is not thorough everyone can say goodbye to the economy. It's hard enough for people to buy upgrade before the duping but now it's going to be impossible.

I really hoped Blizzard would just bite the bullet and do a rollback.

Just let them handle it and enjoy the patch. The sky is not falling, the guilty will be punished.
    Quote from ruksak

Quote from SexyShane

+1....fuck the noise.

The patch is a giant step forward, despite the setbacks and glitches.

Definitely. Love the GAMEPLAY so far, which to me greatly overshadows the mess with the gold. The coop is awesome, despite having to play with 3 randoms since ive run out of RL friends in there lol

Edit- definitely seems like the fact a great patch has gone live has been lost in all the rage over the auction house. Really disappointing.
    Quote from ruksak

Guild wars and Arenanet already demonstrated how bad of an idea it is to start mass banning players for a mistake the developing company is responsible for making. It's pretty obvious that all progress on that char will be reverted in one way or another so who really cares what gets traded.

Games will ALWAYS have bugs and you can decide to be the player that says 'oh man this is impossible' or the player that fully understands the game mechanics and principles of the game and is able to overcome something others can't (not talking about cheating) and part of gaining that kind of skill and knowledge means that the game has to be pushed to its limits and that is something blizzard has understood and dealt with very well in the past. If games was filled with casual fuddy duddies like you games wouldn't have half the entertainment value they do today. You being on this crusade to get rid of players who keep developers on their toes is just as dumb as popular personalities taking part of the bug on stream infront of thousands of viewers.
    Kill them all (ban the offenders) and Let God Sort then out (Blizzard)
    Quote from Strafir

Quote from ruksak

Guild wars and Arenanet already demonstrated how bad of an idea it is to start mass banning players for a mistake the developing company is responsible for making. It's pretty obvious that all progress on that char will be reverted in one way or another so who really cares what gets traded.

Games will ALWAYS have bugs and you can decide to be the player that says 'oh man this is impossible' or the player that fully understands the game mechanics and principles of the game and is able to overcome something others can't (not talking about cheating) and part of gaining that kind of skill and knowledge means that the game has to be pushed to its limits and that is something blizzard has understood and dealt with very well in the past. If games was filled with casual fuddy duddies like you games wouldn't have half the entertainment value they do today. You being on this crusade to get rid of players who keep developers on their toes is just as dumb as popular personalities taking part of the bug on stream infront of thousands of viewers.

Did you just support your argument by calling me a silly name? Really? Somehow, in your infinite wisdom, you've come to the conclusion that I'm a "casual fuddy duddy" because I wish to see consequence for those whom attempt to ruin the economy through greed.

Blizzard did make a mistake. There was a bug in the patch that seriously compromised the integrity of the game.

However, apparently an awful large group of players thought it wise to take advantage of this bug and, out of greed, proceed to get rich through an exploit.

And you say what? That that's OK? That there should be no consequence for their actions? I'm not on a "crusade".

And HA at you for typing what must be the most ignorant stupid shit this side of the Bnet forums....when you wrote "You being on this crusade to get rid of players who keep developers on their toes"

That is stunningly unintelligent of you. Stunning.

Yeah, buddy, that's what people were doing when they were getting rich by cheating yesterday. They weren't being greedy cheaters. They were just "keeping Blizzard on their toes".
    Finally,the thing that most people want to get rid off - RMAH and AH,has become Diablo3 downfall.Im glad im not US,but what happened there was most unexpecting,shocking exploit that i have ever seen in diablo game.Whats worse it includes REAL MONEY.
    I dont care who fucked up,but this will have huge impact on the game future.
    Quote from ruksak

Quote from Strafir

Quote from ruksak

Did you just support your argument by calling me a silly name? Really? Somehow, in your infinite wisdom, you've come to the conclusion that I'm a "casual fuddy duddy" because I wish to see consequence for those whom attempt to ruin the economy through greed.

Blizzard did make a mistake. There was a bug in the patch that seriously compromised the integrity of the game.

However, apparently an awful large group of players thought it wise to take advantage of this bug and, out of greed, proceed to get rich through an exploit.

And you say what? That that's OK? That there should be no consequence for their actions? I'm not on a "crusade".

And HA at you for typing what must be the most ignorant stupid shit this side of the Bnet forums....when you wrote "You being on this crusade to get rid of players who keep developers on their toes"

That is stunningly unintelligent of you. Stunning.

Yeah, buddy, that's what people were doing when they were getting rich by cheating yesterday. They weren't being greedy cheaters. They were just "keeping Blizzard on their toes".

The fastest way to get filthy rich in this game is to react quickly on posted items on the auction house, you don't have time to think about it and evaluate because someone else will have reacted and taken it before you. The same thing happened now. Someone found a flaw, jerked it a few times and then it got blown out of the stratosphere. The way problems like this have been settled before and got settled now is to simply revert the mistake and perhaps timeout those who clearly knew better.

I did not base my response on this thread alone but all the other ones you've demonstrated how much you lack the competitive nature a large portion of the playerbase has and just don't understand that this is just part of the experience. If you play without third party softwares and injections then what's there is there. If you really think about it the overblown 'exploiting' was a good thing because there is not a chance the devteam will overlook similar issues again.

If they correct this right, no-one will have gotten rich and players who had no idea what was going on won't even lose anything they might have crafted or picked up. The devteam learnt something and overly attached players got a laugh. No harm done.

EDIT: IDK If you got offended by the fuddy duddy remark but the way I see you is the gamer version of mr rogers.
    Quote from Strafir

you lack the competitive nature a large portion of the playerbase has

How did you come to the conclusion that I lack a competitive drive? All I did in Diablo 2 was compete in Zeal tourneys. Yet you keep insulting me personally by stating I'm a casual with no competitive drive, just because of what, exactly? Because I stated that the guilty greedy fucks that cheated should bear consequence? Who's side are you on, exactly? Did you cheat yesterday too?

I cannot help but to feel that you may be one of the guilty, due to your defensive nature and continuing insults toward me for proclaiming that I wish the guilty to suffer.

Anywho....a rollback is an extreme measure that could really put the screws to thousands of players that had nothing to do with this exploit. That is why they have chosen not to handle it the easy way, by flipping the reset switch. Instead, they have stated that they feel comfortable that they can resolve this issue without hurting the innocent players.

That is the right choice, if indeed they feel they can contain this spill.
    Quote from ruksak

Anywho....a rollback is an extreme measure that could really put the screws to thousands of players that had nothing to do with this exploit. That is why they have chosen not to handle it the easy way, by flipping the reset switch. Instead, they have stated that they feel comfortable that they can resolve this issue without hurting the innocent players.

If they can indeed contain this spill, I agree. I'm just not convinced that they can for the reasons I posted over in the other thread on this topic (tons of completely legitimate players getting very rich very quickly by selling all their gems without knowing what was happening). Time will tell, I suppose.
    Quote from ruksak

Quote from Strafir

you lack the competitive nature a large portion of the playerbase has

How did you come to the conclusion that I lack a competitive drive? All I did in Diablo 2 was compete in Zeal tourneys. Yet you keep insulting me personally by stating I'm a casual with no competitive drive, just because of what, exactly? Because I stated that the guilty greedy fucks that cheated should bear consequence? Who's side are you on, exactly? Did you cheat yesterday too?

I cannot help but to feel that you may be one of the guilty, due to your defensive nature and continuing insults toward me for proclaiming that I wish the guilty to suffer.

I played on europe and luckily managed to convert both my wealth and items into euros the weekend before the patch. I have merely been following the situation as a bystander.

Excuse my poor choice of words, you lack willingness to be competitive in THIS game at THIS current day of age. I have minimal interest in what you did or how you played half a decade ago. The most interesting part of all this is that there really aren't any victims to pity. You and many other seem to think the patch is a great success and the only ones getting screwed are the very same people who made it since the negative gets noticed much more than the positive.
    Quote from Strafir

Excuse my poor choice of words, you lack willingness to be competitive in THIS game at THIS current day of age.

AGAIN...this is based on what, exactly? Because I don't support cheaters or........?

The most interesting part of all this is that there really aren't any victims to pity.

Maybe not, but if they did a rollback, there most certainly would be victims. I know that if I found a 1.5b item yesterday and had no idea that this cheat was going on, I would be absolutely freaking out at the suggestion of a rollback.

If they forego a rollback and handle things from a more judicious stance, there will not be any victims. Just guilty parties and they should be made to suffer.

When something like this comes up, look the other way. Do not participate. Not only are there consequences, but when people participate they're participating in fucking up the economy.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes