The Black Rock Ledger pages? What's the purpose?

As I asked in title, What the purpose of the black rock ledger pages in the game (4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42)?

I know that it's an reference to the tv-series Lost, but why are they in Diablo 3. Why bring something like that into the game without any purpose? Do they really have a function in this game?

If someone from Blizzard reads this, please answer. Just yes or no, do they have a function? can you do something with all the 6 pages like you could when you collect items to make the Staff of herding?

Just a yes or no, you don't have to reveal the secret if they actually have a purpose, unless you want to tell the secret :)
    It appears you have done some research on the topic but maybe this can settle most of your inquiries: http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Rock_Ledger
    The purpose is to have a reference to a common pop culture icon (like the "Beckon Sail" cloak).

Blizzard loves that shit.

And I know I do too ;)
    See also things like these gloves: http://eu.battle.net...tasker-and-theo

Hint: {generic search engine} the name
    Quote from Maffia

See also things like these gloves: http://eu.battle.net...tasker-and-theo

Hint: {generic search engine} the name

seems a bit disrespectful if you think about it
    What is disrespectful about telling their story in different ways? Blizzard does that a lot in their games.
    It appears they do not have a purpose. I keep them in my stash anyways though.
    Quote from overneathe

What is disrespectful about telling their story in different ways? Blizzard does that a lot in their games.

i would just like to think there is a difference between remembering someone through the game, whom have had somekind of connection with the game or the employees themselfs.

Flavour items likes the tasker and theo, servers little to no means as a memorial. It just comes of cheesy to reference something like that, without any connection.

Just the date of which it happened, means that it has been added to the game more or less just as it had happened

But by all accounts, respect is a very subjective matter, so i fully understand if we wont agree
    Why would you think the soldier wasn't close or a relative to someone at Blizz?
    Quote from overneathe

Why would you think the soldier wasn't close or a relative to someone at Blizz?

Because googling him shows no connection, where as the other examples you mentioned do. The other memorials i have noticed when playing world of warcraft, has had some story as to the connection to the game. Some small some bigger. But still, this reference does not seem to be based on any such thing.

But you´re right, it is an assumption.
    About Theo and Tasker gloves, if they didn't put it in game, I (and many of us) would not have heard about the story behind it. They put it in so we google and learn about the story, so I guess it's successful in that regard.
    Quote from Orb

About Theo and Tasker gloves, if they didn't put it in game, I (and many of us) would not have heard about the story behind it. They put it in so we google and learn about the story, so I guess it's successful in that regard.

Living in a country that has a involvement in the military conflict that led to his death, makes me painfully aware of what happened. I would find it sad that someone living in the western world would need something like this to be added to a game, to even notice that it happened :P
    Quote from dinamar

Living in a country that has a involvement in the military conflict that led to his death, makes me painfully aware of what happened. I would find it sad that someone living in the western world would need something like this to be added to a game, to even notice that it happened :P

I'll be honest, and it may further the "ignorant American pig-dog" stereotype, but I'd never seen neither Liam Tasker nor Theo in the news here - ever. I was happy that this thread brought them to light for me because I believe that this person and his bomb-sniffing dog are very much worthy of rememberance. I found a pair of the gloves last week and it didn't even make me try to figure out what the reference was. So, I'm kinda happy this particular thread helped me shed a bit of that un-informedness.

Also I love animals (not like New Zealanders), which may color my perspective a bit.
    67.1k elite kills :: 1.98m total kills :: p255
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Quote from shaggy

Quote from dinamar

I'll be honest, and it may further the "ignorant American pig-dog" stereotype, but I'd never seen neither Liam Tasker nor Theo in the news here - ever.

But you do agree that this is kind of sad?

I won´t go as far as say you´re furthering the stereo type of an "Ignorant american pig-dog" But more the stereo type that your media coverage is shallow
    Quote from dinamar

Quote from shaggy

Quote from dinamar

I'll be honest, and it may further the "ignorant American pig-dog" stereotype, but I'd never seen neither Liam Tasker nor Theo in the news here - ever.

But you do agree that this is kind of sad?

I won´t go as far as say you´re furthering the stereo type of an "Ignorant american pig-dog" But more the stereo type that your media coverage is shallow

Oh absoultely. You'd think that, especially since the USA and Britain are so close that we'd kinda know about this on this side of the "pond." It's not exactly like some obscure story from deep in jungles of Myanmar here. It shouldn't take a mention in Diablo 3 and a fansite to make me aware of someone like this.
    67.1k elite kills :: 1.98m total kills :: p255
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    There's no doubt US media coverage is shallow. Just compare the headlines on the US version of cnn.com versus the international version - do this for a week and you'll be really shocked at how many important stories Americans never see by restricting themselves to domestic media coverage.

Better media coverage is available for Americans who want it, but we have to work to find it, and most of us couldn't be bothered. It disgusts me.
    Quote from RMrulz

There's no doubt US media coverage is shallow. Just compare the headlines on the US version of cnn.com versus the international version - do this for a week and you'll be really shocked at how many important stories Americans never see by restricting themselves to domestic media coverage.

Better media coverage is available for Americans who want it, but we have to work to find it, and most of us couldn't be bothered. It disgusts me.

Since I live in Sweden, we have seldom news from other countries, but it happens! Mostly when something super fun or super horrible is happening.

I do not know why some americans call Europe a country. In Iron-Man movie they ask Tony Stark (lead roll) where he have been. He says "Europe!" but never where in europe..

Same goes with Thor, how can they speak american? He is a Norse God, not an American God. :D

Oh well.

Swedish Official Fansite www.Diablo3pvp.se

Quote from Enkeria

Same goes with Thor, how can they speak american? He is a Norse God, not an American God. :D

Oh well.

Totally OT, but you better not watch "Vikings" if you want some kind of historical accuracy in a TV-show. If you can look past the inaccuracies its an ok show though.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes