Should AH's be removed from Diablo 3?

Poll: Should the Auction Houses be removed from Diablo 3?

Should the AH's be dismantled and removed from the game?

Should the Auction Houses be removed from Diablo 3? - Single Choice

• OTHER~Please explain. 4%
  • No, both should stay but changes should be made to them. 30.2%
  • Yes, but only the GAH should be removed. 2%
  • Yes, but only the RMAH should be removed. 15.3%
  • No, both AH's should remain as is. 25.4%
  • Yes, both AH's should be removed. 23%
    personnally i dont think the AH is the real issue, for me its only the hacker and exploiter that ruined the AH's and game not the AH by itself
    I can't really comment on the RMAH as I've never used it. Not my cup of tea. But I think it would be a massive mistake to remove the GAH, for several reasons:

1) As other people have said, the GAH is currently a main feature in the game and many gamers like it. Removing it without any viable substitute will likely not sit well with gamers who currently enjoy the GAH, myself included.

2) The GAH makes gold valuable. I was a passionate D2 player albeit far from a top tier player. Gold had very little perceived value to me in D2. I couldn't trade it to people for items (they wanted items in return). I could use it to repair items but repairs were and still are so infrequent that I gain gold way faster than I loose it to repairs. (If anything, repairs are a check against graveyard zergs rather than a large gold sink itself.) In D3, gem creation is a massive gold sink but Blizzard could just as easily remove gold and the GAH, make gem drops rarer, and the net effect would be relatively the same. The same with crafting, just make demonic essence drops rarer and the need for gold to regulate crafting goes away.

That all said, I really like valuable money in games. Gold should be both valuable and *liquid*. In other words, gold should be there to help facilitate the easy exchange of goods. Without the GAH, I doubt gold would accomplish that objective. Trading will devolve to bartering and bartering is simply not as efficient as having currency.

3) Decentralized trading makes it hard if not impossible to research fair prices and find acceptable trades. For better or for worse, the GAH helps inform everyone of the going rate for a particular item, especially for standard items like gems. It's the same reason the real world trades barrels of oil much more frequently on an exchange rather than decentralized person-to-person trades.

Also, something that continually plagued me in D2 was my inability to get extremely rare hell-difficulty items. And people with extremely rare hell-difficulty items generally only wanted to trade them for extremely rare hell-difficulty items. In D3, if I find ten 1M gold items, I can sell them individually and then use the 10M to buy one 10M gold item. I don't have to find one person with a 10M gold item that is willing to accept ten 1M gold items. Valuable gold and gold exchanges make all items liquid, both big and small.

4) I think the concept of "game changing" legendaries makes the need to easily trade via the GAH even greater. I suspect that if Blizzard makes/changes/upgrades/tweaks legendaries as they stated they would like to do, then certain popular builds will have mandatory legendaries to make the builds viable. If certain legendaries become mandatory (and already some legendaries in certain instances are already overwhelmingly popular), then I suspect people will want to buy those legendaries in order to play the spec they want, and not hope the RNG fairy is kind enough to bestow the necessary legendaries upon them. (I believe this is a key reason that rune skills were totally overhauled in beta. Blizzard feared that certain builds would require certain levels of the old rune items. And therefore, what build you used would be based on the RNG of the items you find, not only your desire to try new builds. You access to certain stats already has huge ramifications on what builds you can use and therefore why compound the problem.)

The GAH should be for easy trading of items found via random drops. BOA crafting helps keep gold valuable and provides a predictable source of rares for players uninterested in GAH or having bad luck with RNG. I would be open to more BOA craft slots (with the possibility of slightly better or more predictable stats than drops) if that meant keeping the GAH alive and kicking for selling item drops.
    Long live to AH/RMAH!

FIX THE FUCKING GAME INSTEAD!!
    Quote from Dhaern

Long live to AH/RMAH!

Those two are mutually exclusive.
    Quote from Dhaern

Indeed.

They are on the case, I trust.

I'd love to see 200+ people vote on this to give a better sample. So far, the results are reflecting exactly what I suspected. A very evenly distributed schism between the players toward the issue of the AH's.

It appears *most people want the AH's to stay, either as is or with some revising.

Again, I believe a rethink of game creation and the public game realms is the answer.
    BurningRope#1322
    I think the AH is fine, I think game changes need to be made. I actually think the RMAH is a great feature for a company and could see more companies use it going forward. If you could launch a game for less or nothing and utilize the player economy and/or offsetting with additional (cosmetic) micro transactions to bring in revenue I see nothing wrong with that. It's an optional part of the game for the players and a revenue for the company. Win Win.

That said, I have only pretty recently started playing with both GAH and RMAH and think there are game changes that could be made to improve both.

To curb the 3rd party sites. (I'd never risk useing them but with the amount of spam I see I am sure people do) why not change the way people purchase gold on the RMAH. Have a set price, say a $5.00 block of gold. People could put as much or as little gold as they wanted up for that $5.00 block. People buying gold would always get whatever the best ratio of $ to gold is. I can understand Blizzard not wanting to work in tons of super small transactions so this would kill 2 birds with 1 stone, no matter what the inflation is on gold.

More top teir gear that is bind to account but found from killing not crafting. Get people killing the beasts! 1 way that could be fun is if when you started up a game, randomly in one of the zones of that act there would be a boss mob that would have a high chance of dropping one of these top teir items. With the RNG you would always want to look for the mob because you could get lucky and getting an item better than you are wearing.

More gold sinks. HIGH priced dyes, or particle effects. High priced repair kits. Cheaper to repair in town but nice to have if you don't want to hit town but need repair. Add in those non combat pets and make them EXPENSIVE. Other consumables MF potions, Armor potions, Thorns etc.
    Keep the gold AH and maybe socialize it a whole lot more?, remove the RMAH, center the gameplay around loot hunt - not AH camping. Problem solved.
    Quote from ruksak

It should be abundantly clear that Blizz feels making a great game for the players trumps this notion of them wishing to nickle and dime us. If they want to sell 10 million + copies of the x-pac, they'll do the right thing and not predicate their every decision upon a 15% transaction fee.

Let's be clear about this: I love Diablo 3, BUT the game they launched with, while not bad, was beyond "meh". Of all the Blizzard games I've played, not a single one was such a clusterf*ck at launch. From terrible servers down to a broken game (maybe broken goes too far, but you catch my drift: the game's far better now than it was at launch). I'd wager Blizzard doesn't have that much say in it anymore. They gained some slack after the bombshell sales, sure, but they won't be allowed to cut back on profits imo. I will add though, that it might still change if they add some other form of microtransactions into the game (related to RMAH) OR [help] shift the currency focus entirely elsewhere, like the runes in D2:LOD.

We'll see in the future ofcourse, I know I'll buy the xpack anyway because I'm a sucker for killing demons in great numbers.
    As I've said many times, removing the AH and RMAH won't solve anything...
    They need to increase the quality of the drops. And adjust RNG and drops so players can find upgrades for their main character.
    I agree the game is a lot better than at release. I played at release but only got to maybe level 30. I started playing again right after xmas holidays and I play daily now. Love killing me some demons~ I feel the game can only get better as well so excited for the future patches coming down the pipe.
    Remove the AH = 3rd party sites = Getting ripped off

The items you find need to be improved. Also the AH needs a rework 2B items are for about 3% of the population if that
    Quote from AsHeavenIsWide

Remove the AH = Increased drop rates = No need to use 3rd party sites.

Hell, there's no need to expose oneself to such scams (3rd party sites), with or without increased drop rates. Ever!
    I voted to keep them as they are I'd personally just like to see loot drops that are better than what I get. For the most part I farm gold to buy upgrades. Sometimes I'd like to just loot the upgrade.
    Keep the AH. Improve item quality from drops. Make items you equip bind to account.
    Quote from maka

Quote from AsHeavenIsWide

Remove the AH = Increased drop rates = No need to use 3rd party sites.

Hell, there's no need to expose oneself to such scams (3rd party sites), with or without increased drop rates. Ever!

AH is a nice and modern tool for buy/sell items, and easy use not prehistoric trade system on D2 with more scams and time needed for sell items...

Sorry but atm 57% players support both AH and only 21% players hates AH/RMAH.
    While I voted for keeping both AH, I feel the real solution at this point is to keep both AH on the current server WHILE introducing a new server that is fully self found, as well as a trade (but no AH) server.

While that would lower the number of players per server, it will increase the total player base of the game while giving options to play the way they enjoy it.

Simply cutting the AH would cause D3 to lose many players, just like having both AH already caused D3 to lose many players.

-----

Alternatively Blizzard could fix the loot system in a way that makes the AH not detract from self finding gear, though this would take a lot more time/effort on Blizzard's end compared to simply making different servers. The main reason the AH seems like such an issue in the first place is because there are too many good items on it. Without a gear sink, it's pretty obvious that the value of self-found gear will drop quickly after each item patch.
    Too casual to upload anything new these days.
    Quote from Dhaern

AH is a nice and modern tool for buy/sell items, and easy use not prehistoric trade system on D2 with more scams and time needed for sell items...

Sorry but atm 57% players support both AH and only 21% players hates AH/RMAH.

I've always believed in the democratic way. Whatever the majority wants, I'll back it.

I voted to take them down, not adamantly not pounding my fists on my desk angry over it. I voted the way I did because of Wilson's comments stating that Blizzard sees the AH's as a serious problem. IF they cannot think of a viable solution, something that actually works and the players would like, they should take them down. If it's a problem and they can't fix it, take 'em down.

However, it seems obvious from the poll and the comments I've read @ Bnet Forums, most people want the AH's to stay, though most people have some level of discontent with them.

To me this reflects that Blizzard is on the same page as most players. Wilson's comments reflected exactly what this thread has shown....over 50% of players use the AH regularly...and most players would be upset if the AH's were taken down. Either way I wouldn't want to be in Blizzards shoes right now. Apparently the AH's were just another in a long line of critical mistakes by the dev team.
    BurningRope#1322
    Quote from ruksak

Quote from Dhaern

Indeed.

They are on the case, I trust.

I'd love to see 200+ people vote on this to give a better sample. So far, the results are reflecting exactly what I suspected. A very evenly distributed schism between the players toward the issue of the AH's.

It appears *most people want the AH's to stay, either as is or with some revising.

Again, I believe a rethink of game creation and the public game realms is the answer.

I really think this poll needs to be re-done to ask just to either keep both or remove both. The problem that the AH creates - being able to obtain awesome gear with the exact stats wanted instantly - won't be solved if the AH's stay around, even with the 'revision' option people pick without giving any advice as to HOW to revise them.

If forced into one of the two options I'd be really interested to see what people picked.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChB2_IPc-HVXbi0jS1Riljg
    ^ YouTube.Com/IceBleuGaming ! It's a thing! Check it oooout!
    So, the poll results show mixed feelings towards the AH.

With a general consensus (61%? is my math correct) that the AH should stay in the game; meaning that to these people its pros outweight its cons?

It's so easy to blindly adopt the "the AH ruined the game (all of it, it's unplayable!!!)" hyporbole as a philosophy, without considering what lead to its creation or even the other side of the equation (the people who like it).
    Quote from Bleu42

I really think this poll needs to be re-done to ask just to either keep both or remove both. The problem that the AH creates - being able to obtain awesome gear with the exact stats wanted instantly - won't be solved if the AH's stay around, even with the 'revision' option people pick without giving any advice as to HOW to revise them.

If forced into one of the two options I'd be really interested to see what people picked.

I was very careful in making this poll. The mistake people often make when creating a poll is they do so to push an agenda. Or, they offer the respondents too few choices. As another member said earlier, this issue isn't black and white and I wanted my poll choices to reflect that.

Originally I was going to have three choices. Yes. No. Other.

It occurred to me that, when forced, people would vote 'NO' even though they feel the same as Blizzard on this issue, something needs to be done to change the basic framework of the AH's. i.e. I wanted people to be able to support to existence of the AH's while stating that they feel changes need to be made.
    BurningRope#1322
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes