So whats the point in playing anymore? (constructive no flame please)

I have the same feeling about the game. It feels like its pointless to play, and i didnt feel that with diablo 2. I think there is 2 very fundamental reasons for this.

Reason 1:
    In D2 you often farmed with other playing cowruns/diabloruns/baalruns. It was very varied. sometimes you got into a great group, where people socialized abit, and generally had fun, or a highly efficient run where a few teleporters found baal's room quickly and could deal out a huge amount of dmg. Sure some leeched but it didnt matter as the XP bonuses by playing in groups was better than playing alone. In D3 i never play in groups and when i have tried it it has been highly inefficient. To me this is a huge problem with D3. They really need to promote groupplay much much more, and introduce 8 player mode.

Reason 2:
    In D2 there was actual rewards to relevel multiple chars of the same class. Partly to try new builds, partly to unlock certain 1 time only quests again, ect. You dont have that in D3. Level a class one time and you can try all the builds over and over again and there is no statdistribution. Some people like this but it actually hurts the game that there is no reason to relevel characters.

But the main difference i think, is that the incentive to play with others to optimize your playstyle is not resent in D3. You often just play alone because its faster and more efficient.

Quote from Zero(pS)

The game is only not ok for those who care about what's "most optimal" and what's the "best way to play the game", which is a very negative way to view games nowadays, imho.

I have said it again and again. People WILL NOT play the game the way its most fun for them. They will often end up playing the game the way its most efficent for them, and then grow bored quickly instead. Its human nature to strive for efficiency. Especially in a game like diablo, which is all about grinding. Thats why its very important to make groupplay more efficient than singleplayer.
    Same thing happened with WoW for me, when Blizzard, nerfed the raids into faceroll mode, and introduced LFR/LFG/faction change/realm change in both PvP and PvE. Suddently there was no/very little incentive to socialize, and treat people with respect.
    I
    If you level ONE class to 60 and refuse to level any other class, then I don't think you know what this game (series) is about.
    I don't want to get into the whole "oh, you're not a real fan" attitude, but Diablo games are not really about picking one character and playing it exclusively.
    @Ackbarspiff:

While I don't agree with everything you said (e.g., not everyone is striving for efficiency in every game, there are plenty of people with 500+ hours played and no p100 char), you raise two very important, very true points.

Group play in D2 was more rewarding. My biggest issue is not the group size, but the limited synergies/mechanics that are sometimes even counter productive for group play (e.g., Archon) and the fact that group play is slower than solo play in terms of paragon, loot, and so on.

And it's absolutely true that there was more incentive for twinking in D2, while in D3 you're being punished for twinking (paragon levels are just too important for progress since it's all about MF).
    Quote from overneathe

If I'm anything like you it turns out I won't be enjoying almost any game on the market.

I never stated I didn't enjoy any of the listed games, I simply showed what isn't game content to me (And others). Which is in simplification, any second play through of the same game with slight changes (class, difficulty). Yes, I got my enjoyment out of the game, yes I got my money (lolfree in this case).

Game content is measured differently by every individual, Diablo 3 in my case does not offer much.

Most top-down point n' clicks need something more in my case to be able to play it for an extended period of time, I'm more of a third-person action RPG type person, that's my preferred style of game play but usually that style of game play specifically comes with an extreme lack of content in almost every case, there's very few games in that genre that offer anything more then 8 hours, which comes pretty close to contradicting my statement from earlier, but what can you do, the more the delve, the more complex it gets.
    ^^It's the same 'system' as D2. What did you think of it back then?
    Quote from maka

If you level ONE class to 60 and refuse to level any other class, then I don't think you know what this game (series) is about.
    I don't want to get into the whole "oh, you're not a real fan" attitude, but Diablo games are not really about picking one character and playing it exclusively.

If youve played from start, you probably would have multiple max level characters.

As for me, i have every class to 60 other than WD which playstyle i just cant enjoy. Out of them 3 of them are 20+ para and 1 is 60+. Yes ive played a lot and i do admit the game was good. But now i have nothing to do hence the suggestions. I dont see downside to my suggestions. With more support hopefully they can come true and make this game much much better.
    Quote from Boss_Hogg

New God Of War - Purchased on Tuesday evening for $65, had it beat yesterday afternoon.

D3 - Purchased on 5/15/12 for $65, still playing it here and there.

Yeah, I'd say I got my money's worth.

For the most part, everyone on these forums got their "money's worth" by playing it longer than most other games you paid the same amount of money for. Oh, and did I mention Blizzard is still updating, tweaking, and adding things to the game?

What a bunch of spoiled brats. Sick of the game? Walk away. They got your money, and you got your money's worth, like it or not.

Calm down firstly.

If you read the post i clearly stated it was a great game and well worth the money. However updating the game with these suggestions would not only be more enjoyable for people but more profitable for them as well. So i see no harm in it.
    They asked for suggestions and hence i started a topic about this, now how far they can take from these suggestions is upto them. And if youre still playing this game from last May, i have no idea what youre doing ingame and please share your idea. Ive done hardcore leveling, self found, para farming, hellfire farm and 70% of the achievements if not more.
    Quote from DeepThought

Quote from Hughes

I picked up playing the game again a few months ago, ran into the same problem. I still got bored pretty fast.

Honestly, Inferno is a shadow of what it used to be. Any character who could have any success in Act 1/2 before would certainly be able to walk through Inferno on MP0.

Try again, maybe it will be a faceroll.

You're right. (Drunk) Reinstalled D3 (system wipe, PC problems) and just mowed down the act 3 mini boss (fat guy) with little to no problems...wow...i just might start playing again.
    Quote from Smashr
    Calm down firstly.

If you read the post i clearly stated it was a great game and well worth the money. However updating the game with these suggestions would not only be more enjoyable for people but more profitable for them as well. So i see no harm in it.
    They asked for suggestions and hence i started a topic about this, now how far they can take from these suggestions is upto them. And if youre still playing this game from last May, i have no idea what youre doing ingame and please share your idea. Ive done hardcore leveling, self found, para farming, hellfire farm and 70% of the achievements if not more.

I'm calm now. I just got done playing Hotline Miami.
    Quote from Olden Soul

Quote from overneathe

What do you expect to do? It's a game about farming, loot, sometimes interesting builds, building a set of items that suits your needs, doing some brawling if you feel like it and that's pretty much all. This goes for all ARPG games. What bigger purpose do you want? Random maps in PoE - farming acts in D3. A few updates in the coming months should balance things out a bit when it comes to farming different acts with the same efficiency. But the core is that you just farm. What ideas do you have for ARPGs in general is my question?

My input on this matter is this. Why be limited to such? Why does it have to be about, and driven solely by loot, why would anyone want to take a great name franchise and limit it at every turn? Sure, I've played Diablo 1, and Diablo 2 way back when they were freshly created. I've seen what they have become, what they have accomplished. As time goes on, and as life and technology progresses, so to does the desires and taste of the community. Not only that, the gaming industry grows larger with each passing day, week and month.

If there is the ability, and the desire to see something happen, why not to do it? Is it because of the fact of "This design isn't meant to be in a Action RPG" Who stated that, and where does such a rule exist. Why not have survival dungeons, better PVP, even skills like collecting, gathering, cooking like an MMO would have? By suggesting this I'm not saying I want them implemented, my point I wish to get across is where did all of this limiting talk come from? Great the majority of the game is about slaying demons and finding loot, awesome! Sounds fun, but oh, there's something more besides the bloodshed and repetitive? Even better!

T H I S
    I still think we need some kind of endless dungeon/arena which gets progressively harder with each floor.
    I kind of wish inferno was as hard as it was supposed to be, like when the game first came out. Sure it was impossible for mellee so the buff was necessary, but it was at least a challenge.
    Quote from wickyryan

I kind of wish inferno was as hard as it was supposed to be, like when the game first came out. Sure it was impossible for mellee so the buff was necessary, but it was at least a challenge.

I think the difficulty was not right when it first came out (remembering how hard act 2 was to progress) and unbalanced between the acts. It then seemed to swap to the other end of the spectrum being to easy(now). I agree with you about the need for a challenge if thats what your saying you would like? Even on mp10 now many would consider that it is not a challenge.

I still play everyday but I have noticed that I would play less time each session. I am still hopeful they can turn this around.
    May the heroes rise from the pit of despair and the bards sing of the day of death renewed to everlasting
    immortality....awaiting your return to the lands of Sanctuary may peace be with you on this day...your day of birth.

The Crew
    You're not supposed to play a thousand or two thousand hours with one character. If you do that, of course you're gonna get super geared and face-roll the content. The Diablo gameplay has always been: start a character -> farm -> get super-geared -> face-roll content -> be done with that character and start a new one (or start a new one before you get super geared, and gear them simultaneously).
    Quote from maka

You're not supposed to play a thousand or two thousand hours with one character. If you do that, of course you're gonna get super geared and face-roll the content. The Diablo gameplay has always been: start a character -> farm -> get super-geared -> face-roll content -> be done with that character and start a new one (or start a new one before you get super geared, and gear them simultaneously).

Absolutely right. You can also squeeze in a "wait for expansion on super-geared character".
    ^^Right :P
    I'm not sure why you think end world maps is so much better than what they're planning to implement in D3 to basically make it so you can farm anywhere in the game. It still has the current D3 issues of not being able to choose where you want to go for the most optimal drop rates.

New legendaries aren't necessary, as most people don't even have legendaries so the point of adding more wouldn't help so much. What they're focusing on in making legendaries meangingful is better than implementing new items. And of course PoE is implementing new legendaries, they're in beta still.

New skills is nothing but bad because it effects gameplay balance even further, meaning more time 'wasted' on that instead of other things. Yet again, PoE is still in it's beta where implementing new skills are expected.

I don't disagree that PoE has some interesting features that D3 could benefit from (namely it's hardcore ladder implementation and races), but nothing you listed is beneficial. Diablo 3, and other games of it's type, are all about grinding gear and shouldn't need more motivation for people to continue to play. This isn't WoW where they need to keep producing things to do.

Lastly though, a game being F2P doesn't justify it in doing certain things, and comparing a F2P game implementing things in it's beta to a game that's been out for 10 months but continues to be developed are two completely different things.
    Quote from maka

Cool.

I find it cool that you explain to others how Diablo gameplay is supposed to emulate your own personal preference. Myself, I dedicated most of my play-hours to one character. I did this so that no matter what I moved onto next, I would know that I had at least one high para-lvl, well geared character.

Honestly....I've quit ....AGAIN, for the 3rd time. AGAIN....the day came where I logged in, starred blankly at the screen, felt that empty feeling, logged off and haven't felt the urge to play again for a few weeks.

Actually, I've logged in twice in the last few weeks only to immediately log-out.

Itemization sucks. I'm frankly quite tired of making excuses. Itemization sucks. It sucked far more at launch. It has improved....but frankly, itemization still sucks.

This is a game that is entirely predicated upon itemization. Yet, itemization sucks. How can this be? 10 years of work and the most crucial staple of the franchise, the items, still lay stagnant.

As a matter of fact, I have only found any entertainment from D3 in recent weeks by forcing myself to play HC with no AH use. Yes, I've had fun playing this way, BUT, it occurred to me that having to limit my play-style to such an extent in order to force itemization to feel more dynamic...well, this is just unacceptable.

It's ridiculous that the only way I can force itemization to feel more dynamic is by pigeon-holing myself into a strict play-style.

I haven't given up on Diablo 3. I still have hope and I do honestly feel that the message has been delivered....finally. Still, as a player, as a fan, I am just so very upset that itemization seemed to be an afterthought in the development process. A hard thing to get over.
    BurningRope#1322
    Quote from ruksak

Quote from maka

Cool.

I find it cool that you explain to others how Diablo gameplay is supposed to emulate your own personal preference. Myself, I dedicated most of my play-hours to one character. I did this so that no matter what I moved onto next, I would know that I had at least one high para-lvl, well geared character.

You're right. I forgot to write "You're not supposed to play a thousand or two thousand hours with one character and then complain that you can face-roll the content." Of course you can face-roll the content. That's the whole point. To get as uber-geared as possible.

Quote from ruksak

Honestly....I've quit ....AGAIN, for the 3rd time. AGAIN....the day came where I logged in, starred blankly at the screen, felt that empty feeling, logged off and haven't felt the urge to play again for a few weeks.

Actually, I've logged in twice in the last few weeks only to immediately log-out.

Itemization sucks. I'm frankly quite tired of making excuses. Itemization sucks. It sucked far more at launch. It has improved....but frankly, itemization still sucks.

This is a game that is entirely predicated upon itemization. Yet, itemization sucks. How can this be? 10 years of work and the most crucial staple of the franchise, the items, still lay stagnant.

As a matter of fact, I have only found any entertainment from D3 in recent weeks by forcing myself to play HC with no AH use. Yes, I've had fun playing this way, BUT, it occurred to me that having to limit my play-style to such an extent in order to force itemization to feel more dynamic...well, this is just unacceptable.

It's ridiculous that the only way I can force itemization to feel more dynamic is by pigeon-holing myself into a strict play-style.

I haven't given up on Diablo 3. I still have hope and I do honestly feel that the message has been delivered....finally. Still, as a player, as a fan, I am just so very upset that itemization seemed to be an afterthought in the development process. A hard thing to get over.

I'm glad you've seen the light :P
    Yes, the itemisation sucks. Yes, there's no incentive to come back to the game.
    Welcome to the dark side :ninja:
    To OP

Become an Action house Tycoon like myself. Flipping got more fun since last patch
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes