1.08 or 1.1 mystic

I was reading the post about the itemization problem and remember a game I used to play and the system they used. It's more of an addition then a solution.

The game i played was called MU online it was a mmo with the same idea as diablo. Kill monsters get items to grow stronger. They had a great system where you could upgrade the item level.
    level 1-6 you could increase with a diamond called a bless. It was very rare, just as rare as legendary's in diablo 3. You could just drag the diamond on the item and it increased in one level.
    level 6-9 was more difficult you needed something called a soul and the chance of succes was 75%. if you failed the item became lvl 0 again. After this you had to go to the chaos machine, our mystic and you could get it up to lvl 13. For lvl 10 you needed 1 bless and 1 soul. for every extra level you needed 1 more soul and bless. The chances for succesfulll combination of higher level's was reduces every time. This way it was really difficult to get to the lvl 13 item, but it made those items extremely strong.
    if you failed in the chaos mahcine (mystic) your item got destroyed or you lost an affix.
    There was also a way to make the rate of succes to 95%, but you needed a lot of extra blesses and souls to get it this high.
    We can change the bless and soul into gems of a higher quality, like star ruby or something like that or add an extra item (diamond or gem) to drop for this machine.

Every level an item gained just got more damage or defense. This is kind of boring for today's game; diablo3 so maybe it can increase all the affixes by 2% every level in the first 9 levels and after that by 3-5%. This way an item that has level 13 and does a 1000 dmg or gives you 500LOH gives you something like 35% more of that. It solves a lot of problems of items circulating around, because a lot get destroyed and maybe even making an item lvl 13 account bound.

Thanks for reading this and I hope we, together will make this game even more awesome then it is.

PS: if someone could post this on the battlenet website if you think it's cool, because i dont have my authenticator with me on holliday ;)
    Any system making you lose a valuable item or making it become worse (by losing an affix) is something you will never see in a big commercial game.
    maybe not lose the item, but make it just go back to lvl 0 or lose or lower an affix. This way you have a good gold sink and gem sink.

I believe there must be some risk to it. Someone else think of a good one the will use in big commercial games ;)
    I absolutely hate the item upgrade idea. I played Torchlight a bit and they had a similar system. You attempt to increase the power of your item and every time you did you ran the risk of fucking it up. Thus upgrading is nothing more than gambling, and your characters power is completely out of your control. Its all RNG! Worst system I have ever even heard of, and yet game developers use it. Which is just shocking, because no one with more than 10 functioning brain cells could like such a system, and they are just fucking up their own game.

If blizzard did anything similar to this to D3, I would wipe my ass with it, and set it on fire in my back yard.
    The good old times of MU online :). It was indeed a system that worked very good, and could function very good as well in diablo as item and gold sink. People that do not want their item destroyed, should just not try to get it higher than lvl 9. But if you want to gamble, at least you can :).
    The gambling is already in place via the crafting system.
    Quote from morbidlymystic

I absolutely hate the item upgrade idea. I played Torchlight a bit and they had a similar system. You attempt to increase the power of your item and every time you did you ran the risk of fucking it up. Thus upgrading is nothing more than gambling, and your characters power is completely out of your control.

I agree, we already have a superior form of gambling - still plenty of randomness, but with a measure of control. We don't need this silly form of rerolling items. Stash space isn't exactly voluminous, and there's no reason to implement a system that encourages us to be even bigger packrats.
    67.1k elite kills :: 1.98m total kills :: p255
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    I like being a pack-rat. I wish I had the space to store 1 of each legendary/set item I find, like I did in D2 + plugY.
    The great art of a lot of the low-level legendaries is being completely wasted, because nobody wears them (or even finds them); at least this way I could look at them from time to time.

That said, I'm not a big fan of the system proposed by the OP.
    If you take the destroying items or re-roll stats out of this story it a good way to choose an item and making it more perfect in a way that's a good money sink and gem sink.
    Don't be so fast as calling it the same as TL, because that was adding random affixes and making others stronger. That was cool, but way too random. This just give a 75% (or you can make it higher with more of the special gems, thus costing more gold) chance to increase your dmg and affixes. It doesn't add affix. If we take out the level 10-13 item loosing, but letting it just go back to lvl 0 or lvl 9 it's good gambling in a static gambling when you know what's going to happen, and not like crafting being completely random.

@HuitZi: yeah MU online, awesome game back in the days, the private servers were even better:) there were actually some with a more stable economy then the normal game
    Quote from maka

I like being a pack-rat. I wish I had the space to store 1 of each legendary/set item I find, like I did in D2 + plugY.
    The great art of a lot of the low-level legendaries is being completely wasted, because nobody wears them (or even finds them); at least this way I could look at them from time to time.

Completely agree. I also like to store stuff just for fun, even though I know that I won't use 99% of that. I had ~5 twinks and stored all legendaries and many other items I found in D3 on them, but salvaged everything at some point.

That said, I'm looking forward to the legendary changes as to what the low-level items will add to endgame once they roll ilevel 63 stats. And finally, it could mean that not everyone looks the same with Mempo/Vile Ward/set chest, but players start to have different looks.

Quote from iribuya

Don't be so fast as calling it the same as TL, because that was adding random affixes and making others stronger. That was cool, but way too random.

Not true. Every enchanter has different enchantments to offer; those in town were obviously crap. There are hidden enchanters in dungeons, like some that are subtitled "enchants with fire" or something like that. However, in the end everyone just goes to the act 3 enchanter in the first dungeon because he adds sockets.
    I was thinking instead of using a gem or gold to improve the stats of an item, Why not combine several lesser items that don't have the stats you desire, into one version that does. For example a player owns a witching hour with high strength, but desires it to have Vitality and all resistance. A player can combine one or several witching hours with all resistance or vitality with their main witching hour at the mystic with a chance to add the desired stats they are seeking. This would make the abundant useless legendaries flooding the ah somewhat more useful than a brimstone, and removing some items from the game in a meaningful way. Also provides another means for players to find their own items instead of farming a billion gold to buy it off the ah.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes