D3 population gone?

D3 is over.... find something else to do with your time.

CharlieChocolate has spoken.

Well. off to farm some Demonic Essences. Ciao!
    Such Threads are useless.

Zealots will say they have 50+ people online they play with and that this game is alive and thriving.
    Doomsayers will say this game is dead since launch and Blizzard sucks big time.

I still like them tho, to bad they end within few pages.
    Quote from shaggy

Quote from morbidlymystic

At my current rate of collecting gold it would take me 23 years to pickup 2 billion gold.

Craft some 1.7.0 bracers, gloves, chests, and shoulders. Skip the chests if you don't want to sink gold in the pattern immediately. With just ONE shoulder craft I got an item that rivals the very best Vile Wards out there. Cost me 50k gold, 1 Demonic Essence, 10 Tomes of Secrets (approximately 20k more gold). 70k gold, roughly, for an item that, before 1.0.7 would have cost me probably 100 million or more.

The best-of-the-best, particularly weapons, are going to be absolutely sky-high. Weapons have to roll very well to be "good." They need good damage (plus black/elemental damage), they need high crit damage, they need a socket, they need good primary stat, most people want IAS - top-end weapons are NOT a dime a dozen, moreso than most other slots.

Also, what Overneathe said. I have around 900 hours played and I'm around 55 million gold towards the achievement. Gold earned from the AH and from vendoring things does not count towards that achievement, meaning that achievement is representative of less than 20% of my total gold.

EDIT
    Wasn't going to respond to your original question since I believe it to be a loaded question designed to start an argument, but I see more people online in public games now (post-1.0.7) than at any time in the game's history except at launch. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that 1.0.7 brought a large number of people back to the game. Just realize that some people don't play public games (I still don't have that achievement) and even more people don't join general chat.

So you got lucky with a craft.. Thats your advice, get lucky?

Those weapons are 2 billion plus because the economy is in the shitter. People quit and sold all their gold, and others are running bots. The botters are running around with billions of gold, because they have an infinite supply on a separate account coming in. Thus inflation and the price of everything goes sky high, and it becomes difficult at best to reach the higher epsilon without cheating yourself. Which I refuse to do in D3. I will quit before it comes to that...

I would bet you anything the people trading those top weapons back and forth are by vast majority, like 95%, using bots.
    Well the channel size has not changed. If you are on a chat channel its basicly almost always full because each of those chats are not that big. Its just depends on to how much people want to talk to. I atleast am busy playing if I'm ingame so I won't be talking anything in the chat. Why would I? If I want to talk I'll go somewhere with my friends.
    You are right. The population is very sparse now..
    Sadly all my WoW Real ID friends are always online with the wow logo now. The one guy was into D3 got upto Paragon 86 and went off. Haven't seen him for a couple of weeks now. It really saddens me this game. I'd keep playing though if I would be able to find upgrades to my items through normal play for 'I am really into the making my character more powerful through drops' aspect of it but sadly that is not present in this game. I don't know if I should blame Jay Wilson for this or Blizzard in general, I reckon the money making aspect of RMAH makes me want to weight the blame on the corporation.
    I logged in recently, and various contacts didn't play for weeks or months.
    Quote from Maky

You are right. The population is very sparse now..
    Sadly all my WoW Real ID friends are always online with the wow logo now. The one guy was into D3 got upto Paragon 86 and went off. Haven't seen him for a couple of weeks now. It really saddens me this game. I'd keep playing though if I would be able to find upgrades to my items through normal play for 'I am really into the making my character more powerful through drops' aspect of it but sadly that is not present in this game. I don't know if I should blame Jay Wilson for this or Blizzard in general, I reckon the money making aspect of RMAH makes me want to weight the blame on the corporation.

I heard Jay Wilson quit. I am guessing it was one of those quit to save face or we will fire you ordeals. Blizzard was expecting to make a lot of money on this RMAH thing, and I am betting it failed miserably as the player base left in droves.

You cant really blame the RMAH, because it was going to happen any damn way, just using 3rd party sites.

One reason that inferno might have been made so hard was to ensure bots couldn't do it, thus ruining the economy. However, players couldn't do it either, so everyone quit, thus ruining the economy any damn way. Now it is easily beatable at low Mp levels and easily bottable, thus ruining the economy even further.

Bots were an inevitability anyways, so it seems pointless to try to stop them in such a way. Thats just fucking over the economy twice instead of once and making the game unplayable to boot.

Personally, I place the blame on Jay Wilson, and it looks like blizzard did as well.
    IMO patch 1.07 was not refreshing at all. I think the BOA items have destroyed the game - the things you trying to get are no longer legendaries and other gear, but Demonic Essences. Now it's only worth to pick up legendaries (not all), weapons and rings, as all players go for sets + craftable items.

Brawling was a way to big dissapointment - personally I don't see any sense in playing it, because there is no ladder and some classes are OP.

In the beggining of the game I played a lot with my firends and family, but as the time went on and MOP came out many of them went back to WoW. I don't have time to play that game...

To finish my post - got hacked last night (even though i have autechnticator attached) - almost 170m gold gone, 500m -ish softcore monk gear also gone, 3 paragon level hardcore monk dead.
    The only thing what kept me in game was my HC monk. Now it's dead and probably will never get it back due to latest changes, and i dont fell like leveling a new one - still i will try to get my SC gear and gold as well as HC char. But I am afraid that even if I manage to do that, I will quit Diablo. Just getting boring.

I heard Jay Wilson quit. I am guessing it was one of those quit to save face or we will fire you ordeals. Blizzard was expecting to make a lot of money on this RMAH thing, and I am betting it failed miserably as the player base left in droves.

You cant really blame the RMAH, because it was going to happen any damn way, just using 3rd party sites.

One reason that inferno might have been made so hard was to ensure bots couldn't do it, thus ruining the economy. However, players couldn't do it either, so everyone quit, thus ruining the economy any damn way. Now it is easily beatable at low Mp levels and easily bottable, thus ruining the economy even further.

Bots were an inevitability anyways, so it seems pointless to try to stop them in such a way. Thats just fucking over the economy twice instead of once and making the game unplayable to boot.

Personally, I place the blame on Jay Wilson, and it looks like blizzard did as well.

This post is so full of tinfoil hat, conspiracy, assumptions, and blinded by pure hatred towards Blizzard.

1) If Jay Wilson was to blame for all the mistakes in Diablo 3, why did they put him on the new project (Titan)? So that he can make the same mistakes again and ruin another, new franchise? That's the tinfoil hat version. Why not accept the fact that Jay Wilson is a game designer with a lot of creativity (and there is no creativity if there is no room for error/mistakes!), but he's not someone to maintain a game for the next 10 years? After Jay Wilson quite and the community literally went on a crusade of hatred on the official forums, there were blue posts and messages from Blizzard saying they were shocked about this. I can't find it right now but you should read this. I think people went a bit too far with their JW hatred.

2) Inferno was made hard because Blizzard listened to players, listened to players who said they wanted a super hard endgame. That's why they even said "we think it'll take months for players to clear Inferno". Then players complained about Inferno being too hard, and Blizzard listened to players once more, and nerfed it (something they have done many many times in the past, btw). Players cry "make it hard", Blizzard makes it hard. Players cry "make it easier", Blizzard makes it easier. Players cry "make it harder", Blizzard adds MP levels to make it harder. Seriously, it doesn't matter what Blizzard does - haters gonna hate.

3) Diablo is by its nature a game that's made for bots. The "perfect, efficient" player is sitting in front of his PC and playing exactly like a bot would. It is unbelievably hard to distinguish hardcore, efficient, determined players from bots. But my two opinions are that i) botting is not nearly as rampant as in D2, WoW, or many other games and ii) I don't care about botting because D3 is not competitive, and for me the main parts of the game are solo play or playing with a circle of RL friends, it's not like an MMO where I see the bots in public games.

Seriously, I'm totally fine with everyone having their own opinion, but I hope it's not too much to ask people to think a bit about what they write before making wild accusations beyond any sane reasoning.
    Quote from Ezkaton

IMO patch 1.07 was not refreshing at all. I think the BOA items have destroyed the game - the things you trying to get are no longer legendaries and other gear, but Demonic Essences. Now it's only worth to pick up legendaries (not all), weapons and rings, as all players go for sets + craftable items.

First of all, sorry for you getting hacked. Hope you get your SC char back, good luck with that.

It's fine if, in your opinion, 1.07 was not refreshing; if you considered D3 to be a trading game mainly, BoA was a change you didn't like, I can see that. I, however, like the change because of exactly what you wrote: you have an incentive to farm stuff, especially to get Demonic Essences. It's by the way *more* worth to pick up *every* legendary after 1.07 because the previously useless brimstones now serve a purpose!

Furthermore, I don't agree that the game has changed so much; after all, only 5 slots got new crafting recipes, 2 of which are not BiS (wrist + chest, at least for my classes), 2 of which were occupied by rares as BiS before (amulet + gloves), and one which was absolutely needed (I'm so sick of Vile Ward). For 8-9 of the other slots there aren't any good crafting recipes yet; and people still buy stuff for the "crafting slots" because it takes a lot of luck and time and material to get a good item. Just consider the most recent CMWW guide which even recommends buying Vile Ward! So these items aren't useless after all, it's just that there is an alternative now.
    People online playing public games before patch 1.0.7 ~ 400-600.

People online playing public games "after few weeks" of patch 1.0.7 ~5000.
    Quote from vidrith

You do know MP is now allowed in public games, right? Thus rendering you and your comment useless. As in it does not provide any argument against op.
    Quote from Sartorius

Quote from vidrith

You do know MP is now allowed in public games, right? Thus rendering you and your comment useless.

What a douche bag thing to say, disagree, sure, but don´t be such an ass about it
    Quote from Sartorius

Quote from vidrith

You do know MP is now allowed in public games, right? Thus rendering you and your comment useless.

Look at the OP at the beginning of this thread:

Seriously is it? I log in and no one is online, and the chat is completely silent. Its like there is nothing going on... I feel so isolated...

His post is more relevant and more useful than many other posts in this thread. By the way, a 1000% increase in public game players is, even with the MP change in mind, incredible. And none of the people I know play public games - but most of them still came back with 1.07 and are playing solo or in private multiplayer games. The number of people in public games was always given as example for why D3 is dying, now it rose by 1000%, and all of the sudden it's useless?
    Quote from Bagstone

The number of people in public games was always given as example for why D3 is dying, now it rose by 1000%, and all of the sudden it's useless?

Should have seen that coming a mile away. It's only a legitemate statistic if it's used to prove how badly the game is failing, obviously. Most haters are pretty severe hypocrites, honestly.

Quote from Ezkaton

Brawling was a way to big dissapointment - personally I don't see any sense in playing it, because there is no ladder and some classes are OP.

There was no ladder in D2 and "hostile mode" was the bees knees. Does Blizzard need to add ears to make you happy? Because ears were basically the only reward in D2.

So you got lucky with a craft.. Thats your advice, get lucky?

Those weapons are 2 billion plus because the economy is in the shitter. People quit and sold all their gold, and others are running bots. The botters are running around with billions of gold, because they have an infinite supply on a separate account coming in. Thus inflation and the price of everything goes sky high, and it becomes difficult at best to reach the higher epsilon without cheating yourself. Which I refuse to do in D3. I will quit before it comes to that...

I would bet you anything the people trading those top weapons back and forth are by vast majority, like 95%, using bots.

My advice is to play the motherfucking game instead of whining that you don't have enough gold. Whining on DiabloFans.com isn't earning you any more gold and your napkin math was provably wrong for reasons stated by Overneathe. Your entire premise that it would take you 23 years to get 2 billion gold is tragically stupid because it's based on only one part of your gold-making ability.

If you think that prices are high because bots are just trading with each other, well, I simply don't know what to say to you other than stop sniffing glue. At best, bots may be buying underpriced items to flip. Bots are not purchasing 2 billion gold items just to sell them to other bots. That's completely illogical since it's basically losing them on the order of 300 million gold per item.

If you think that the only way to make lots of gold to afford top-end gear is to use a bot, then you're simply ignorant of how the game is working. If you're ignorant to that degree then your opinion on HOW people acquire those top-end items is meaningless. Ask Jaetch how he got a 300k+ DPS set. I bet my balls he wasn't botting and I'm willing to bet my balls that he's not some 5% minority either.

Also, just because you see an item listed for 2 billion gold doesn't mean it's actually worth it, nor does it mean anyone actually purchases it. A lot of items are simply wrongly-listed. Pull your head out of your ass and use some goddamned common sense. It's obvious you made this thread so that you could start a fight and not because you actually wanted a discussion of any sort.
    p407 :: 86.3k EK :: 2.40m TK
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)

Seriously is it? I log in and no one is online, and the chat is completely silent. Its like there is nothing going on... I feel so isolated...

My chat is disabled. Dont feel like seeing useless spam while Im playing. Plenty of friends online for me to play with and actually got a few more to buy the game and they enjoy it. I actually see less of my friends playing SC2 so that game must be dead. :facepalm:
    On my friends list, only 2 people show up to play Diablo 3 every now and again. It would be 3, but my girlfriend's laptop is dead (need to replace graphics card). Everyone else, including my brother, doesn't bother with the game anymore, so I'm usually running Act 3 alone. The expansions will bring people back in droves, though.
    "Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."-Friedrich Nietzsche
    On the whole, I try to avoid any kind of community interaction like the plague because I'm sick of all the negativity that spews forth in public games and general chat. I get it, you didn't find an upgrade for the second week in a row. That's exactly how D2 worked to me as well. I made my runewords at the beginning of the ladder, and with the exception of a Spirit Shield and HotO Flail, I really didn't care about upgrading my gear for the rest of the year. I'd spend an entire ladder season actually playing the game for other reasons, and if I did find an upgrade, sweet. If I didn't it wasn't the end of the world, because I never intended to.

If you just generally don't feel like playing, don't try to have others validate your opinion for you. Either stop or find a group of people to play with in general chat or here. Public games are a bad medium because people are basically ill-willed, and will stop at nothing to berate Blizzard, the game, or anyone who has any semblance of joy playing it.

Also, and this is an entirely honest suggestion, if you feel like you need to play a game where you can upgrade your gear on a regular basis, you may find more joy playing an MMO. Diablo is about RNG, whereas games such as WoW have defined loot-tables where you can specifically aim to improve your gear if you present the needed skill level. The biggest design flaw and misconception Blizzard put out about D3 was that the game was using loot as an end-game vessel when it relies solely on RNG, just like its predecessors. The shortcoming of D3 has been to keep people playing without necessarily using loot as the final goal. Basically, you should find loot because you're playing, not the other way around. For the time being, D3 will continue being played by many, many people, but it won't truly flourish until the things such as PvP, Ladders, and character customization are included in a more prevalent manner.
    Of all things important in Online Gaming, there is one thing no game developer can "fix" - it's community.
    Quote from Bagstone

2) Inferno was made hard because Blizzard listened to players, listened to players who said they wanted a super hard endgame. That's why they even said "we think it'll take months for players to clear Inferno". Then players complained about Inferno being too hard, and Blizzard listened to players once more, and nerfed it (something they have done many many times in the past, btw). Players cry "make it hard", Blizzard makes it hard. Players cry "make it easier", Blizzard makes it easier. Players cry "make it harder", Blizzard adds MP levels to make it harder. Seriously, it doesn't matter what Blizzard does - haters gonna hate.

Critical mistake: making te best gear only drop in Inferno. Result: players either had to grind the same area (Act 1) over and over again (not fun), or they had to exploit/death-zerg to get through content, which resulted in OP gear being posted on AH (and you know the rest of the story).
    The problem with the original difficulty, was that there was no progress. Once you reached act I inferno, that was it. There was no way to obtain gear that allowed you to play act II. It's not that they listened to us and then everything got screwed, it's that they made huge mistakes in the design of the game. And I think, that the mistakes were not mistakes at all, but incentives to use the AH.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes