am i the only one wanting more legendary drops (pre-lv60)

currently i have found 1 legendary item under level 60, while playing a leveling char.

thats 4 times through the entire game on normal,
    thats 4 times through the entire game on nightmare
    thats 4 times through the entire game on hell.

And yet, the only legendary i every found while leveling, was some lvl 20ish witch doctor helm..

i am well aware that lower level legendary items are worthless, and quickly out leveled. But i do still believe it would add a "fun-factor" if more legendary items dropped.

Even cooler would be, if said legendary items, had some kind of gimmicky attributes, to spice up the seemingly identical farming the leveling system is based on.

When i got a friend to start gaming diablo 3, i decided to boost one char, using my DH with all MF gear..
    i found around 10 legendary items, which all was given to said friend, who acording to him atleast, had a blast using said legendary items. at no real expense to the community trading, as that is, aside from +xp items, based around top level anyway

What do you guys think
    I've actually created a new WD for fun (also to get the two WD to 60 achievement) and I'm running strictly on MP10.

I'm at level 28 right now and I've already found "The Crudest Boots," "Magefist" and "Broken Crown."

It comes down to MF and when you first start out in the game, you pretty much have nothing in terms of MF. A big part of it is because you don't get NV buffs until 60.

I honestly think they should allow low level characters to have NV after you complete your first playthrough and level a character to 60. All subsequent characters should have access to NV.
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    There is basically no pre-60 game in Diablo 3. There are some fellas out there who play it, e.g., HC no AH MP10 players or so. But most of us will just get a friend to boost their twink to 60. I'm guilty of doing that - wanted to have a WD, gave a friend my wizard gear for his twink, he blasted my WD to 60 in exactly 2.5 hours.

Didn't feel right, I'm a 60 WD now with no clue of the game and have to learn the class now at 60. But doing so while leveling up gives you a different feeling about the class, so it's not even good for "learning". For example, I leveled my wizard with no help but I'm not using any of the pre-60 specs now anymore... so... it's just the way the game is designed by now, imho.
    Quote from Bagstone

There is basically no pre-60 game in Diablo 3. There are some fellas out there who play it, e.g., HC no AH MP10 players or so. But most of us will just get a friend to boost their twink to 60. I'm guilty of doing that - wanted to have a WD, gave a friend my wizard gear for his twink, he blasted my WD to 60 in exactly 2.5 hours.

Didn't feel right, I'm a 60 WD now with no clue of the game and have to learn the class now at 60. But doing so while leveling up gives you a different feeling about the class, so it's not even good for "learning". For example, I leveled my wizard with no help but I'm not using any of the pre-60 specs now anymore... so... it's just the way the game is designed by now, imho.

i agree with the notion of your response. But i don´t entirely see how it correlates to the topic.

Players being boosted, obviously has no need for legendary drops. Because as you say, it takes little over 2 hours and you´re done.

But manually leveling through the game still takes quite some time, and could be more fun than it is now, if legendary items were more common place.
    From time to time i plow through normal on a new char, just for the "lulz" and i am currently planning to try a mp10 only char (thanks to jaetch, i cant wait now)

I just believe that upping the legendary drop rate, is so easy a fix, compared to the fun factor it could add.
    Quote from dinamar

Quote from Bagstone

i agree with the notion of your response. But i don´t entirely see how it correlates to the topic.

Players being boosted, obviously has no need for legendary drops. Because as you say, it takes little over 2 hours and you´re done.

But manually leveling through the game still takes quite some time, and could be more fun than it is now, if legendary items were more common place.
    From time to time i plow through normal on a new char, just for the "lulz" and i am currently planning to try a mp10 only char (thanks to jaetch, i cant wait now)

I just believe that upping the legendary drop rate, is so easy a fix, compared to the fun factor it could add.

Make it easier on yourself once you hit level 15 or so. Throw a socketed weapon on your new character and put a Radiant Star Ruby into it :P
    I think the biggest problem with low-level legendaries and sets is simply that even if you did find them you tend to outlevel them pretty quickly. If they don't somehow address that then the droprate is basically meaningless.
    p400 :: 85.1k EK :: 2.38m TK
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Quote from shaggy

I think the biggest problem with low-level legendaries and sets is simply that even if you did find them you tend to outlevel them pretty quickly. If they don't somehow address that then the droprate is basically meaningless.

I agree to some extend, but as an example, the helm that dropped for my WD lasted until mid 40s.
    http://www.diablowiki.com/Quetzalcoatl

It is quite a nice helm :)
    It's all about Magic Find. I personally believe NV should be able to be gained at all levels and be uncapped.

Just imagine, you could collect a bunch of gear sets for each level bracket to max MF, and try to level a char all the way up from level 1 to clearing inferno on MP10 with gear you already purchased.

Would be one long marathon and challenge. And also add something cool to do in game, not that many people will be able to do it, but would be cool to see. Just a thought O;. "Here's my guide to leveling from 1-Inferno MP10 in 16 hours! 235 stacks!"
    I loved low level uniques and sets in D2, but in D3 they're practically meaningless, especially if you already have each class at lvl60, like I do. I have absolutely no incentive or desire to create new characters, because they'll be exactly like my already existing characters.
    The only exception to this is if I wanna play with a friend that is new to the game, but the large majority of my D2-playing buddies were quite turned off by D3, so not a big chance of that happening.
    Quote from shaggy

Completely agree. Personally, I think they should greatly increase the pre-60 (or maybe pre-50) legendary drop rate. Of the 6ish legendaries I've found, I think two were upgrades for the character that found them, and those only minor upgrades, that I really only used cause they were legendaries. Alternatly, they should expand the areas these can drop, so you might find a legendary, but it's 5 to 10 levels above you. After lvl 10, I almost never find items that are above my item level.

Quote from maka

I loved low level uniques and sets in D2, but in D3 they're practically meaningless, especially if you already have each class at lvl60, like I do. I have absolutely no incentive or desire to create new characters, because they'll be exactly like my already existing characters.
    The only exception to this is if I wanna play with a friend that is new to the game, but the large majority of my D2-playing buddies were quite turned off by D3, so not a big chance of that happening.

That's, well, besides the point. Yes, they really should come up with some reason for people to re-level (ideally actually re-leveling, not just being power leveled). Sure, you're that much less likely to find them cause you're never at there level, but if you found them at 60 it wouldn't matter anyway. Oh, and just cause you mentioned, I never found useful legendaries/sets in D2 while leveling either, so it's not really something I wasn't expecting.
    ^^It's not beside the point, because yes, you might not find those low level uniques while they're useful for leveling with one character, but you can save them for another character. However, in D3's case, I would answer "what other character"? There's no point in them dropping because I'll never use them, because I'll never level another character again. How is that beside the point?
    Quote from maka

^^It's not beside the point, because yes, you might not find those low level uniques while they're useful for leveling with one character, but you can save them for another character. However, in D3's case, I would answer "what other character"? There's no point in them dropping because I'll never use them, because I'll never level another character again. How is that beside the point?

Personally, I prefer not having to re-roll every time I want to try something different. On my WD I tend to vacillate between Zombie Bears and Acid Rain because it does give me a bit of a sense of refreshment to be doing the same thing (kill, kill, kill) with a spell that is functionally different. If I had to level (and gear) two WDs to achieve this there's no way I'd be doing it. I love copying leet peoples builds, like Jaetch, for my alts too. Lord knows my alts specs change on a weekly basis at this point, even though I don't play them!

But, your point is valid - how does this interact with legendary drop rates for items that are not max level? It sucks, it definitely sucks. I would suggest that set & legendary drop rates for sub-iLevel 60 items in non-Inferno games should be at least doubled (since few people are running around with MF). The only drawback to this is that it COULD set unrealistic expectations for the droprate at max level. I'm not sure I give a rat's ass about peoples expectations anymore though! Yeah, I'm a bitter old curmudgeon.

Also, all legendaries should give a Fiery Brimstone regardless of level. Fiery Brimstones are not worth enough that it would even justify someone farming Normal for legendaries as some kind of money-making scheme. BUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTT that would make amulet-making for self-found people a little more forgiving, yes?
    p400 :: 85.1k EK :: 2.38m TK
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    ^^Absolutely. It's too late for me ("IT'S TOO LATE FOR ME, BUT SAVE YOURSELVES!" :P), since I already have them all at 60, but for people that still want to level other classes, I'd support upping the droprates for low level legendaries.
    As far as low level legendaries salvaging into brimstones, I'd be up for it, given my style of play. Could it be abused? Maybe. At this point, do I care? Not really :P
    This just in:

You're so cool, Kulle.
    ^^What's your point, Jaetch?
    Quote from maka

That legendaries pre-60 exist! And they actually do drop pretty often with ramped up MF just like if you're farming with high MF on higher levels.

That mighty belt makes it four legendaries for me by level 28 (RNG, but some people don't know that yet, shh, didn't hear it from me).
    Quote from maka

Well, looking back I'm not sure what my point was (so...sorry about poor communication?) but I believe my point was that the idea they're worthless cause you have all your lvl 60 characters is beside the point because ideally, they're usable for the character that drops them. I mean, I have two WD's. Ones 60, the other is now 21 and rising. I literally just found (like, 30 minutes ago) a legendary ceremonial dagger. I saw the "ceremonial dagger" in brown and got all excited. Course, turns out it was a ilvl 15, and was useless. Now, I could start a third WD (which might happen if this one tanks it), but it would have been more fun if it had of been ilvl 25 instead of 15.

Point being, IMO, the biggest problem with pre-lv60 legendaries, is that they almost always drop more than a few ilvls below you. Which means even if they happen to be the best possible roll for that legendary, there is a halfway decent chance it's still useless.

Quote from Jaetch

This just in:

You're so cool, Kulle.

Quote from Jaetch

Quote from maka

That legendaries pre-60 exist! And they actually do drop pretty often with ramped up MF just like if you're farming with high MF on higher levels.

That mighty belt makes it four legendaries for me by level 28 (RNG, but some people don't know that yet, shh, didn't hear it from me).

Congrats. Like I said above, I JUST found one too. To bad it's like almost every other legendary I've ever found and not useful (I'm pretty sure it was near perfect for that item, just no socket which, as with most low level weapons, made it useless).
    omg, the drop in this game sucks so much.
    I just made a new char in LoD again, level it to 23 fast and what i have? 1 unique ring, 1 set shield, 1 set staff and 1 set ring (staff and ring combines btw). And that's on normal, no mp (well nagelring gives 23% after i found it), no so called 'farming', just another playthrough.
    When in D3 i put about 300 hours no single set piece yet. And drop is too random imo, you can get 3 legendary a day, than no legendary in months (happened to me) + that item can roll random and became useless to your class, or you can't use it with your current char, and in low lvl's even blue ones became better pretty quickly...
    IN D2 you could find legendaries in nightmare that was very useful even for endgamers, that was a nice thing.
    I actually farmed nightmare to find specific items.
    **Farming is my life**
    Quote from gran0ls

omg, the drop in this game sucks so much.
    I just made a new char in LoD again, level it to 23 fast and what i have? 1 unique ring, 1 set shield, 1 set staff and 1 set ring (staff and ring combines btw). And that's on normal, no mp (well nagelring gives 23% after i found it), no so called 'farming', just another playthrough.
    When in D3 i put about 300 hours no single set piece yet. And drop is too random imo, you can get 3 legendary a day, than no legendary in months (happened to me) + that item can roll random and became useless to your class, or you can't use it with your current char, and in low lvl's even blue ones became better pretty quickly...

I'm not disagreing about the legendarys not dropping enough pre lvl 60, but in d2 you could find same shite normal difficulty items even tho you were doing hell baal runs or ubers... You can't now and i'm grateful that's not possible, i can't express how much i hated finding sigons gloves/milabregas shield over and over again.ARRRGH :P

Like d2, d3 drops are random, only thing i can say to that is, get more mf, kill more mobs, at some point your "unluck" should even out. Did for me atleast. Didn't find anything up to +400h played, now i find stuff all the time.

Quote from Ultragrisen

IN D2 you could find legendaries in nightmare that was very useful even for endgamers, that was a nice thing.
    I actually farmed nightmare to find specific items.

Like what ? i only remember few key items that dropped in nm, as a nice end game item from nm, and those were only used in certain builds endgame, not every build that class had. To me, drops in nm were only a nice stepping stone towards reaching end game level. As are some pre 60 legendarys in d3, they just need to drop a little more :)
    Regards DreamWalker

Donnie: Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit?
    Frank: Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes