Diablo 3 Offline Play on Playstation 3, 4

Quote from Slim

I'm probably just mentally deficient, but I don't understand the draw of offline play.

Amongst other things, like being able to play if the internet is down (which happens if you live in Australia)...

... I would just love to be able to FUCKING PAUSE Diablo3 while I put the kids to bed, make some dinner or head to the shops for milk and bread. (yes I know you can go to the Menu but it only lasts for 15 minutes before its kicks you out).

Honestly, WTF Blizzard, why cant I pause a video game? Every time I want to play I have to allocate a strict 'Do Not Interrupt' against the wife and kids. There has never been a game that has pissed them off more.
    Quote from Slim

I'm probably just mentally deficient, but I don't understand the draw of offline play.

I can tell you that many friends of mine are just skipping D3 (they tried it for a couple of months) because of the online play only requirement/coupled with RMAH. They just feel there's something missing and they think this is an uncool move from Blizzard. We used to play D2 on LAN back in the days (and we played A LOT). There was something to it that's hard to explain but bottom line is they just don't like what Blizzard are doing right now.
    - I know that my Redeemer liveth, and as the last man He shall stand forth upon the earth -
    - - -
    Quote from axeman87

Amongst other things, like being able to play if the internet is down (which happens if you live in Australia)...

... I would just love to be able to FUCKING PAUSE Diablo3 while I put the kids to bed, make some dinner or head to the shops for milk and bread. (yes I know you can go to the Menu but it only lasts for 15 minutes before its kicks you out).

Honestly, WTF Blizzard, why cant I pause a video game? Every time I want to play I have to allocate a strict 'Do Not Interrupt' against the wife and kids. There has never been a game that has pissed them off more.

Pausing the game does that indeed, not pausing it on the other hand makes it last much longer. I've been afk for a whole day and my character was still standing in town in front of the portal. Stacks fall off though, but meh?

Ha. Bagstone.

Quote from dinamar

Quote from TheDFO

So, can we make a deal? If D3 on is real popular online on PS3/4, has an offline mode, and doesn't have rampant hacking, I'll admit that Blizzard F'd up and/or lied to us and did it for DRM. If that doesn't happen, all you people who hate on the always online admit it worked, and stop whining about it?

This is where people misunderstand..

In any offline game there will be hacking duping, etc, etc. So if a offline version of the game is added on ps3, then it will have duping and hacking, be sure of that.

But that does not matter, so long as these hacking and duping methods are based solely on the game being offline (savegame editing etc), it only becomes a problem if the exploits can transfer over to the online version, and i will bet my left shoe, that they will have, offline mode with open online and / a closed offline,, meaning offline accounts will never be able to play with closed online accounts.

casing point, the most widespread and damaging dupe in diablo 2, was only possible online, and could not be used in the offline version of the game. so hacking and duping in an offline version, would not imply that hacking and duping is possible in the online version aswel

You're pretty spot on here.

One thing I'd add is that hackers can, and will, and did, use offline modes to determine how the battle.net servers worked as it was a very real method for hacking the piss out of D2. That is the main concern here. If the Playstation single-player mode can give any clues as to how the battle.net servers function, store data, etc. then we have a big potential problem on our hands. I'm sure Blizzard is patently aware of this and I really hope they come up with some plan to avoid that.

If they can reverse-engineer the single-player game to gain insight as to hack the multi-player game then we're in for a rough jousting match between hackers and Blizzard.
    p420 :: 88.4k EK :: 2.45m TK
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Quote from dinamar

Quote from TheDFO

So, can we make a deal? If D3 on is real popular online on PS3/4, has an offline mode, and doesn't have rampant hacking, I'll admit that Blizzard F'd up and/or lied to us and did it for DRM. If that doesn't happen, all you people who hate on the always online admit it worked, and stop whining about it?

This is where people misunderstand..

In any offline game there will be hacking duping, etc, etc. So if a offline version of the game is added on ps3, then it will have duping and hacking, be sure of that.

But that does not matter, so long as these hacking and duping methods are based solely on the game being offline (savegame editing etc), it only becomes a problem if the exploits can transfer over to the online version, and i will bet my left shoe, that they will have, offline mode with open online and / a closed offline,, meaning offline accounts will never be able to play with closed online accounts.

casing point, the most widespread and damaging dupe in diablo 2, was only possible online, and could not be used in the offline version of the game. so hacking and duping in an offline version, would not imply that hacking and duping is possible in the online version aswel

Wait, are you saying I'm confused? Or that others are confused? Cause my point was that it doesn't matter if the offline and online saved characters overlap at all, what matters is that offline characters means the user has access to the gut of the game that they can reverse engineer.
    All they need to-do for offline play is make it like it was in D2... you have offline chars, where you can cheat, hack, manipulate as much as you want, but you cant play them online, you have a second set of chars for that in battle net. Maybe that is coming to the PC too, dont know why anyone would ever do that, unless you live in a place where it hard to be online... I mean I dont even know how to go offline anymore.
    ^^Not everyone has super stable connections, you know? For example, HC is a big no-no if your connection is fidgety. Also, I live with 2 friends, and it's a real pain (and unfair) to yell "yo, guys, you mind stopping all downloads? I wanna play some D3" (otherwise I get >400ms ping, which is horrible).

Also, offline play opens up the possibility to have mods. As much as I love D2 (and frequent DFans users know that I really do), a couple of mods (like Eastern Sun or Median) really took it to an even higher level.
    Quote from maka

^^Not everyone has super stable connections, you know? For example, HC is a big no-no if your connection is fidgety. Also, I live with 2 friends, and it's a real pain (and unfair) to yell "yo, guys, you mind stopping all downloads? I wanna play some D3" (otherwise I get >400ms ping, which is horrible).

Exactly. In Australia, (from what I understand) our 'broadband' is equivalent to US dial-up speeds, not to mention there are no local severs.

Now, at home, we have a tablet, 2x iPhones, a Mac, and Apple TV that all share the save network. Mostly via Wi-Fi and D3 is a hard line and its rare to have all devices running simultaneously, but D3 takes up most of the bandwidth... just when I'm running around solo.
    It's not about the stable connection.. I have to play with 200+ ms all the time. That makes some skills really clunky to use, specially the ones that execute instantly, like the barb charge, an amazing and fun to use skill, totally ruined by my latency.
    Online only for a paid game, that is not exclusively online play is just lazy IMO and a very poor choice on Blizzards behalf.

I would like to have the option of playing online or not and all the pros and cons that come with each.

Sure, online is awesome and what is used most of the time, but some builds and Hard Core just isnt viable for some of the player base.

This is a massive design flaw that negates such a huge amount of content. Not to mention the (potential) players that do not have the resources to run the internet (at high speeds) whenever they want to play.
    Quote from axeman87

Quote from maka

Exactly. In Australia, (from what I understand) our 'broadband' is equivalent to US dial-up speeds, not to mention there are no local severs.

Now, at home, we have a tablet, 2x iPhones, a Mac, and Apple TV that all share the save network. Mostly via Wi-Fi and D3 is a hard line and its rare to have all devices running simultaneously, but D3 takes up most of the bandwidth... just when I'm running around solo.

We had a couple of discussions about bandwidth here, the last one I can remember was this one. There are also lots of people who logged bandwidth usage for D3. Conclusion: D3 takes up a couple of hundred KB per hour (SP) up to 10, 15 MB per hour (full group of 4 players farming like crazy). And you don't need an extremely good latency, this is not a first person shooter were reaction time is key.

That being said, I totally understand if people say that this online-only is a problem for them if they live in remote areas or in countries that are a bit further away from the main hubs. But when I look at your post and see the army of iDevices, I immediately ask myself questions like: iCloud enabled? Are all these devices constantly on the network? How many people are on Facebook? Facebook is one of the biggest bandwidth suckers, but also kills latency as it opens up so many connections simultaneously. I don't even wanna ask about your Apple TV...

Last but not least, there are several reports where forwarding port 1119 helped to resolve D3 issues for many people. Try that. D3's online connectivity can be a problem for people with dial-up Internet connections, yes. But I really doubt that D3, especially when running around solo, is causing you bandwidth problems. It doesn't open up a lot of connections, nor does it use megabytes of bandwidth.
    Quote from Bagstone

That being said, I totally understand if people say that this online-only is a problem for them if they live in remote areas or in countries that are a bit further away from the main hubs. But when I look at your post and see the army of iDevices, I immediately ask myself questions like: iCloud enabled? Are all these devices constantly on the network? How many people are on Facebook? Facebook is one of the biggest bandwidth suckers, but also kills latency as it opens up so many connections simultaneously. I don't even wanna ask about your Apple TV...

It's easier to blame Diablo 3 and Blizzard.

On my network I typically have 3-5 PCs, 1 tablet (Android), one console. I am able to have multiple videos streaming, Skype, Vent, and multiple Diablo 3, WoW, and PoE clients connected at the same time with no discernable hit to internet performance.

The problem is NOT D3 (nor WoW, nor PoE). None of them are bandwidth hogs. If someone has a bandwidth problem on their network they really need to post in the tech support forums and have people help them out with the *other* shit that's running (for axeman, Bagstone hit the major concerns I'd have - Apple products run amok, iCloud, Facebook).

The sad reality is that it's just far too easy to nerdrage at Blizzard without being remotely informed than it is to fix ones problem.
    p420 :: 88.4k EK :: 2.45m TK
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    I wouldn't have bought the game to begin with if it allowed offline play. If they allow it on the PS3/4 then there will be no auction house / RMAH and won't be worth buying.
    Quote from CardinalMDM

Watching the video now, pretty cool announcement....

Offline mode and/or local co-op is a great idea, especially considering there aren't many 4-player local co-op ARPGs on PS3. People can say what they want about Diablo 3 not living up to the standard Diablo 2 set, but even though Diablo 1 was on PS1, the port quality was pretty bad and most people loyal to consoles didn't really give it much thought. Diablo 3? They might give it a shot, and since the game has way faster and crisper action than D2 did, it could be a pretty interesting coup.

My desires for it, though, two-fold:

1) Cross-platform...will playstation players get to play with PC and MAC players? Diablo's supposed to have a massive community, and I think if they're smart, they'll find any way to make that happen, even if they have to introduce new modes of play to allow "certain" characters to go cross-platform, and others to stay the way they are.

2) Characters on accounts...if I get the console version (in addition to the one I already have on PC), will we be able to use characters we've already created and have been working with, or do we have to make a "console" account? Hopefully, they're available on both platforms.

Oh, one other thing....

I remember back when Spider-Man 3 came out on PS3, it also had a version on PS2. I've never played the PS3 version, but I had the PS2 version, and by comparison, it really sucked...understandably, I guess, as they made the PS3 version the focus and the PS2 version was just a cut-down port, basically.

I know the PS3 processor is pretty powerful, and I also understand that typically, Diablo graphic quality has been such that it was almost purposefully toned down to be handled better on weaker machines in the past...so hopefully the PS3 version will be crisp and smooth and not compromise the graphic quality. I get that they probably want to hype up the PS4 as much as possible, but it'd be disappointing to find out the PS3 version was really cut down and choppy and crummy by comparison.

1. There will be no cross platforming

2. You won't be able to move characters between ps and pc

3. 1 and 2 still apply if the game is online only

Take it to the bank.

I will bet that you will be able to buy gold and maybe some items from blizzard like every other PS game does, maybe access to new content.
    ^ Sorry but we don't know any of those for a fact. I'm not saying they're good or bad. Let's just wait for the information to come out before stating them as facts.

Ha. Bagstone.

Quote from Haeretic

I wouldn't have bought the game to begin with if it allowed offline play. If they allow it on the PS3/4 then there will be no auction house / RMAH and won't be worth buying.

:doh:

I don't know you, so I don't want to personally offend you, but this represents everything I despise in the current Diablo community, and also in society at large.
    Quote from shaggy

Quote from Bagstone

It's easier to blame Diablo 3 and Blizzard.

On my network I typically have 3-5 PCs, 1 tablet (Android), one console. I am able to have multiple videos streaming, Skype, Vent, and multiple Diablo 3, WoW, and PoE clients connected at the same time with no discernable hit to internet performance.

The problem is NOT D3 (nor WoW, nor PoE). None of them are bandwidth hogs. If someone has a bandwidth problem on their network they really need to post in the tech support forums and have people help them out with the *other* shit that's running (for axeman, Bagstone hit the major concerns I'd have - Apple products run amok, iCloud, Facebook).

The sad reality is that it's just far too easy to nerdrage at Blizzard without being remotely informed than it is to fix ones problem.

Sorry, perhaps I worded that wrong. My point is that I'm forced to be on the internet when I playing a game by myself.

Also, just to be clear, yes the 2x iPhones sinc with Facebook, but thats about it. If the Android tablet is not being used it doesn't have any usage. The Apple TV does not either. It is used to stream movie from the Mac to the big TV in the lounge. We dont watch anything online vie Itunes with Apple TV.

We have ample usage allowance and most of the time I have few latency issues playing D3. Last check however, was that Australia had the 5th WORST internet speed in the World. Even Turkey has better internet than us. With that said D3 is another thing that is connected and this I don't like. If I have a large download I turn everything else off just to help speed things up.

If I want to play with others, use the AH, check online features sure, whatever, but mostly I'm playing solo and this just pisses me off.
    So Blizzard will make offline play for the Playstation 3/4, but neglect the system that made them famous in the first place (PC)?

Guess Blizz can't use the B.S. "DRM" excuse for always online play anymore.
    Quote from Nikdik

So Blizzard will make offline play for the Playstation 4, but neglect the system that made them famous in the first place (PC)?

Probably. The very fact that they're adding an offline mode for the PS3/4 versions means most of their justifications for not having it on the PC version were pure BS... it was DRM, and extremely effective DRM at that... and the PS versions won't need it, because piracy is much less prevalent on those systems. IMO, not back-porting offline play to PC would be a tacit admission of that fact.

I'd like to think that Blizzard's corporate spokesdroids will either

a) Admit that, no, always-on doesn't have some kind of awesomeifying effect on D3, and that it was added primarily as DRM to help protect their investment on a notoriously piratical platform (thus igniting an unholy shitstorm on the forums)

b ) Admit that, no, always-on doesn't have some kind of awesomeifying effect on D3, cough politely, and announce that offline will be coming to PC (thus igniting an unholy shitstorm on the forums)

... but I strongly suspect they'll quietly ignore the discrepancy.
    Quote from Catalept

Quote from Nikdik

So Blizzard will make offline play for the Playstation 4, but neglect the system that made them famous in the first place (PC)?

Probably. The very fact that they're adding an offline mode for the PS3/4 versions means most of their justifications for not having it on the PC version were pure BS... it was DRM, and extremely effective DRM at that... and the PS versions won't need it, because piracy is much less prevalent on those systems. IMO, not back-porting offline play to PC would be a tacit admission of that fact.

I'd like to think that Blizzard's corporate spokesdroids will either

a) Admit that, no, always-on doesn't have some kind of awesomeifying effect on D3, and that it was added primarily as DRM to help protect their investment on a notoriously piratical platform (thus igniting an unholy shitstorm on the forums)

b ) Admit that, no, always-on doesn't have some kind of awesomeifying effect on D3, cough politely, and announce that offline will be coming to PC (thus igniting an unholy shitstorm on the forums)

... but I strongly suspect they'll quietly ignore the discrepancy.

I'd like to just mention that with the offline mode introduced on the PC version of D3, no one, and I repeat NO ONE, has been successful at hacking and changing Diablo 3's game files, creating hacks and dupes. NO ONE has been able to change an item's code, or compromise the game's architecture and coding.

The online-only system has worked exactly as intended and because of the implementation, the ONLY "hacking" (and I put hacking in quotes because it isn't actually hacking, but exploitation) has been that of lagging yourself and then in turn the server to double up on drops both from the player and monsters. You can defiantly call this 'duping' if you'd like, since the same item was created multiple times, but it was not under any means hacking which is why the online only system was put into place.

Nothing is ever 100% proof, but the current version of Diablo 3 proves that the online-only was a success. This narrows any sort of cheating down to easy to cure exploitation. This system is also why and sort of lag-duping or exploitation isn't widespread, the people doing it have to be extremely secretive about it and because of this the harm to the game and the economy of the game is very minor, and easy to fix.

You can be mad at online-only, I get it, I'd LOVE to play offline sometimes, where I am without internet, but increased security doesn't come without it's effects on freedom.

Edit; I'd be very surprised at the presence of the RMAH on the offline version, but even so I suspect that the offline availability on the PS version is because of the present, extremely high security from the playstation.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChB2_IPc-HVXbi0jS1Riljg
    ^ YouTube.Com/IceBleuGaming ! It's a thing! Check it oooout!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes