Diablo 3 Offline Play on Playstation 3, 4

Quote from FoxBatD2

Quote from Zuchi

I read on battle.net forum someone mentioning that offline single player is mandatory for compliance with Playstation's rules. Don't know if that's true or not, but makes sense since I've never heard of a online-only playstation game with no single player offline mode.

DCUO

Upcoming FFXIV

PSO2 (but on the vita)

You might need a special deal, but these companies have done it, I'm sure Blizzard has enough pull to do the same.

Touche. But they're all MMO's though, what would you possibly do with single player mode in an mmo. Single player in ARPG however makes a lot of sense.
    Quote from Zuchi

Touche. But they're all MMO's though, what would you possibly do with single player mode in an mmo. Single player in ARPG however makes a lot of sense.

Why would Sony necessarily care or differentiate? D3 might well be considered an MMO by them. PSO2 certainly isn't much different.

I should also add Dust 514 before it was delayed/cancelled/whatever on PS3. An always online shooter. Oh and Bungie's Destiny, another upcoming always-online shooter.
    Watching the video now, pretty cool announcement....

Offline mode and/or local co-op is a great idea, especially considering there aren't many 4-player local co-op ARPGs on PS3. People can say what they want about Diablo 3 not living up to the standard Diablo 2 set, but even though Diablo 1 was on PS1, the port quality was pretty bad and most people loyal to consoles didn't really give it much thought. Diablo 3? They might give it a shot, and since the game has way faster and crisper action than D2 did, it could be a pretty interesting coup.

My desires for it, though, two-fold:

1) Cross-platform...will playstation players get to play with PC and MAC players? Diablo's supposed to have a massive community, and I think if they're smart, they'll find any way to make that happen, even if they have to introduce new modes of play to allow "certain" characters to go cross-platform, and others to stay the way they are.

2) Characters on accounts...if I get the console version (in addition to the one I already have on PC), will we be able to use characters we've already created and have been working with, or do we have to make a "console" account? Hopefully, they're available on both platforms.

Oh, one other thing....

I remember back when Spider-Man 3 came out on PS3, it also had a version on PS2. I've never played the PS3 version, but I had the PS2 version, and by comparison, it really sucked...understandably, I guess, as they made the PS3 version the focus and the PS2 version was just a cut-down port, basically.

I know the PS3 processor is pretty powerful, and I also understand that typically, Diablo graphic quality has been such that it was almost purposefully toned down to be handled better on weaker machines in the past...so hopefully the PS3 version will be crisp and smooth and not compromise the graphic quality. I get that they probably want to hype up the PS4 as much as possible, but it'd be disappointing to find out the PS3 version was really cut down and choppy and crummy by comparison.
    Pre AH-shutdown Transcendence/Spirit Regen build, used only found and crafted gear and gems, could handle MP7.
    PS4 Will Not Require An Always-Online Connection:

Stemming fears of the always-online requirement still rumored strongly for the next Xbox, a Sony PR rep confirmed to Kotaku that: "PS4 games will be playable without an Internet connection."

http://kotaku.com/5985874/ps4-will-not-require-an-always online-connection

Shuhei Yoshida: Oh yes, yes, you can go offline totally. Social is big for us, but we understand there are some people who are anti-social! So if you don't want to connect to anyone else, you can do that.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-the-big-interview-sonys-shuhei-yoshida-on-ps4

I'm so glad I spent the time to grind paragon 100 to literally get this news as soon as I hit. Good-bye Diablo 3 and all of ActiBlizz games, hello <enter some other non-bull shit company built game here>.
    Quote from m4st0d0n

PS4 Will Not Require An Always-Online Connection:

Right in the feels.

Ha. Bagstone.

Quote from maka

The video the OP posted is pretty clear: local offline co-op will be in the game.
    Thank you, Blizzard.

Yeah. So now we have a problem. A major feature that we were told had to be cut to preserve the mumble-mumble experience of the blah-blah but whose absence smelt, tasted and looked like DRM is being added for a (relatively) pirate-free console platform.

So the question is, is Blizzard going to man up and back-port LAN play into the PC version? If not, PC users can feel justified in feeling a little jilted. Like... a lot.

Edit: IMO, if Blizzard had just come outright and said "Yeah, always-on is basically just DRM. It'll be super-effective, but we apologize about the downsides.", I wouldn't really have a beef with them... but dressing up always-on as some kind of vital ingredient in the D3 gumbo... and then ditching it on another platform. Not cool.
    I'm probably just mentally deficient, but I don't understand the draw of offline play. And I don't care what PS3/4 can or cannot do.
    Quote from Slim

I'm probably just mentally deficient, but I don't understand the draw of offline play. And I don't care what PS3/4 can or cannot do.

I canĀ“t speak for everyone, but i always loved single player (offline mode), I used it for Various reasons, one being, that i could cheat, and therefore try things, no one would ever be able to, in the multiplayer version.

Now a lot of people would say, if i am cheating i am skipping over the game. THat i counter with "act3 runs much?"

But that is just a small reason i want single player (offline mode), the bigger reason is that offline mode is required for modding to be possible.

Kingdom of tenei, was a mod to diablo 2, i most likely spent as much time on, as i did the original game, but also other mods, such as the monster density mod, that would allow you to completely decide on the monster density, anywhere in the game.

And all this i could do, without inpacting anyones experience but my own. but now, every and all changes made to the game, has to be carefully balanced and has to take such things as the RMAH into account. Something i never cared for in a game like this, yet it is forced to be the bane of my existance.
    Quote from Slim

I'm probably just mentally deficient, but I don't understand the draw of offline play.

For me, it's not really about 'offline play' per se (although my connection blinks often enough to make hardcore stressful). It's about the philosophical shift from a game being a thing you own to a service you use. It's not just games, really... it's happening to all 'content' (I'm starting to seriously hate that word... it's becoming a shibboleth for marketing weasels). When it comes to things digital, our right to 'own' things isn't being taken away, it's being made irrelevant. I'm not strictly pessimistic about that (certainly not enough to go the full Stallman), but I'm apprehensive as hell. Blizzard has played nice (after all, D2 is still going)... but what I really need to know is, what happens when they decide to pull the plug on D3's servers? Will they release a LAN-patch or a standalone server binary for us? Or will D3 become a dead pile of bits? Time will tell.
    Quote from Catalept

but what I really need to know is, what happens when they decide to pull the plug on D3's servers? Will they release a LAN-patch or a standalone server binary for us? Or will D3 become a dead pile of bits? Time will tell.

If there is one single company in the world that cares about long-term support (read: LOOOOOOOOOONG-term support) it's Blizzard. Just remember that between initial release of D2 and last patch there were 4137 days. Or 11 years and almost 4 months. Even if they pull the plug at some point, I think it's either after 1) Diablo 4 has been released and reached a satisfying state (i.e., patch 1.1+) 2) they'll publish the server (unlikely) or 3) they'll introduce an offline mode (maybe port it over from the D3 console version). Who knows ;-)
    Quote from Catalept

Quote from Slim

I'm probably just mentally deficient, but I don't understand the draw of offline play.

For me, it's not really about 'offline play' per se (although my connection blinks often enough to make hardcore stressful). It's about the philosophical shift from a game being a thing you own to a service you use. It's not just games, really... it's happening to all 'content' (I'm starting to seriously hate that word... it's becoming a shibboleth for marketing weasels). When it comes to things digital, our right to 'own' things isn't being taken away, it's being made irrelevant.

+1
    And soon to be very expensive and annoying. Remember this:
    http://www.techspot.com/news/50712-ms-patent-uses-kinect-to-price-videos-based-on-number-of-viewers.html

The new Xbox will come in with Kinect built in, and will not work without it.
    Transfer this philosophy to games, and we might eventually have to pay a small amount every time we play.

Nosirr, i don't like, not one bit.
    "It's hard to kill a man once you've seen pictures of his kids"
    Quote from sinderz

I'm so glad I spent the time to grind paragon 100 to literally get this news as soon as I hit. Good-bye Diablo 3 and all of ActiBlizz games, hello <enter some other non-bull shit company built game here>.

Yeah, D3 and Blizzard are a joke now. Luckily you only spent enough time on the game to get paragon level 100
    Quote from pterosmacktyl

Quote from sinderz

Yeah, D3 and Blizzard are a joke now. Luckily you only spent enough time on the game to get paragon level 100

i dont understand how D3 coming out for the ps3/ps4 effects you two in any way. little over dramatic?

personally i have been playing D3 since release and i am glad to hear this, only thing id like to see is it also come to xbox, id rather prefer play it on my xbox since most my friends play on xbox and would most likely pick it up...
    I believe the second was subtle but successful sarcasm.

Ha. Bagstone.

Quote from Erixxxx

How high is the risk of duping and maphacking happening on consoles?

The possibilities are out there for sure. People put emulators on PS3s all the time, and there are countless other things that can be done. Long story short, the question isn't "how high is the risk" for duping and map-hacks, but rather, how long till it happens.

I myself am sort of ticked that they are allowing an offline version for console users and not one for us.
    Jellyfish are the one and only true Wizards
    Quote from oldmannoob

Quote from Catalept

Quote from Slim

For me, it's not really about 'offline play' per se (although my connection blinks often enough to make hardcore stressful). It's about the philosophical shift from a game being a thing you own to a service you use. It's not just games, really... it's happening to all 'content' (I'm starting to seriously hate that word... it's becoming a shibboleth for marketing weasels). When it comes to things digital, our right to 'own' things isn't being taken away, it's being made irrelevant.

+1
    And soon to be very expensive and annoying. Remember this:
    http://www.techspot....of-viewers.html

The new Xbox will come in with Kinect built in, and will not work without it.
    Transfer this philosophy to games, and we might eventually have to pay a small amount every time we play.

Nosirr, i don't like, not one bit.

And this is why people will stop buying Xbox's.
    Jellyfish are the one and only true Wizards
    Quote from Catalept

Quote from Erixxxx

How high is the risk of duping and maphacking happening on consoles?

Maphacking? Next to zero. The PS3 is locked down pretty tight... it's not nearly the general-purpose computing free-for-all that PCs are.

However, if the PS3 has a true offline mode (and therefore has savegames that can be copied back and forth to PCs), then I'd expect the file-format to be cracked wide open in short order, and the whole offline/LAN scene to become a dupefest. If the PS3 version has AH/RMAH at all, I'd assume that Blizzard would do what they should have done all along with PCs and just have server-side saves for online/AH capable characters, and local save for offline/LAN ones.

In some alternative universe, they'd do the Right Thing and back-port the changes to PC, giving us what we should have had all along.

I'm pretty sure Blizzard DID do that in Diablo 2. And it sure didn't stop duping/hacking/botting.

Honestly, if they do have an offline mode, then my guess is the only way the online version WON'T become a dupefest ala D2 is if there just isn't much of an economy. But even then there probably will be duping out the wazoo, ala Borderlands.

If you were going to play offline anyway and never go online, then I guess that sucks for you. Personally I was really happy about the online only, because A) I was going to play online ANYWAY, B) i thought it would (and I think it's been shown that I was right) seriously cut back the duping/botting/hacking, and C) Blizzard has shown in the past that they believe in long term support, and won't drop the servers after a year like EA.

So, can we make a deal? If D3 on is real popular online on PS3/4, has an offline mode, and doesn't have rampant hacking, I'll admit that Blizzard F'd up and/or lied to us and did it for DRM. If that doesn't happen, all you people who hate on the always online admit it worked, and stop whining about it?
    I'm not here to defend Blizzard or anything as I really didn't like Diablo 3 that much (got bored after a week), but I will say this. They didn't confirm lan play in the vid that you linked too, they confirmed that you can play 4 players on one screen (which sounds fun actually), nothing has been mentioned of lan play anywhere online except by the community.

They did confirm you can play the game offline though, I'll give you that. The reason you can't play it offline on the pc is obvious, because of piracy and duping/hacking, these are things that are far far less common on console, do you really think the 12 million sales would of happened if they didn't have a heavy DRM in place?! Why do you think games sell so much better on console? Are there not many people playing games on pc? There are many more than on console, but many are cheap shmucks that refuse to pay or play by the rules, the pirates and cheaters ruin it for the rest of us, it is they we should be angry at, Blizzard merely deserves an evil look or two.
    Quote from TheDFO

So, can we make a deal? If D3 on is real popular online on PS3/4, has an offline mode, and doesn't have rampant hacking, I'll admit that Blizzard F'd up and/or lied to us and did it for DRM. If that doesn't happen, all you people who hate on the always online admit it worked, and stop whining about it?

This is where people misunderstand..

In any offline game there will be hacking duping, etc, etc. So if a offline version of the game is added on ps3, then it will have duping and hacking, be sure of that.

But that does not matter, so long as these hacking and duping methods are based solely on the game being offline (savegame editing etc), it only becomes a problem if the exploits can transfer over to the online version, and i will bet my left shoe, that they will have, offline mode with open online and / a closed offline,, meaning offline accounts will never be able to play with closed online accounts.

casing point, the most widespread and damaging dupe in diablo 2, was only possible online, and could not be used in the offline version of the game. so hacking and duping in an offline version, would not imply that hacking and duping is possible in the online version aswel
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes