Confirmed!!! Diablo 3 on Playstation 4

Either it's an april fools joke or we have to wait for it like the period it took them from first D3 announcement until the release last year.
    But in the end you could simply lay in your bed with your controler and while half asleep doing farm runs :o
    You guys act like they haven't done this before.

There was a Playstation port of Diablo 1.

Damn Blizzard... damn them for doing the same shit they did in 1998. Clearly they're just an evil corporation, and clearly we've known that from 1998 when they first used this massive moneygrab to fuck all the customers over.

You guys never fail to astound me with your lack of perspective on the history of the series. I believe they call it selective memories.

EDIT
    Also, this isn't news. They announced they were exploring the console market with D3 in January of 2012. Stop acting like a bunch of malcontents who have nothing else to do than bitch over everything because, frankly, you're over 12 months late on this one.
    p427 :: 89.1k EK :: 2.47m TK
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)

Damn Blizzard... damn them for doing the same shit they did in 1998. Clearly they're just an evil corporation, and clearly we've known that from 1998 when they first used this massive moneygrab to fuck all the customers over.

And Rock n Roll Racing! What was that all about? You greedy jerks!

Console/PC, I could care less really so long as the game is fun. And Diablo 3 is FUN.
    Quote from shaggy

They have every right to port their game to other platforms. Thing is they haven't sufficiently improved Diablo 3 to make it worthwhile for console gamers imo.

Diablo 1 was already a true classic.
    Quote from Bleu42
    There was no PC disaster, as the overwhelming majority of players accepted / liked the game, as proven by the CONTINUOUS sales after release. All you're doing is spreading a false narrative, when the truth is it's one of, if not the best selling PC game of all time. I'm *pretty* sure it'l do just fine on consoles.

You dont really believe that yourself, do you?
    Quote from Bleu42

as proven by the CONTINUOUS sales after release.

Really? Currently #49. http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-PC-Hardware/zgbs/videogames/229575#3
    Quote from Xenocow

Quote from pylorih
    99% of the time people who like to state that the PC version was a disaster have over 100 hours played.

I have close to 1000 hours, thank you... whats next?
    You gonna ask me "When the Game is so bad, why did you play it 1000 Hours?"
    And after that you gonna state "1000 hours is pretty good for a $50 Game!"

am i right?

Absolutely. You don't really have an argument for how the game is bad when you plow and put that many hours into one. I don't think anyone will ever put 1000 hours into Aliens Colonial Marines which is basically the argument that your bunch have been making. That D3 has been a big disaster.
    This is from the official Diablo 3 forum. :lol: The topic has been deleted though:

From the Diablo III forums:

Diablo 3 was setup to be a console game.

The reason only 4 players are allowed into a game is for 4 controllers.

The reason the quests make you walk in a linear closed circuit as opposed to big open worlds, is to keep your buds next to you on the same screen.

The reason for no skill points or complicated number crunching? To make console players happy.

The reason you have 4-5 skills on your bar at once? Very easy to use an Xbox/Ps3 controller to use skills.

The reason no runes / complicated item mechanics exists. Simply wouldn't be fun for console gamers.

The reason you can't host a named game? Auto join for console users.

The reason for achievements in game? It's popular among console / COD fans.

The reason for passive skills? Perks like Call of Duty uses. Everyone unlocks perks and uses their favorite ones.

PC gamers are just beta testing for the console release so it wont be full of bugs. That's how ActiBlizz intends to make the real money.

Also explains why the game doesn't have VoIP for Pc gamer chat.

Diablo 3 is the modern Call of Duty of ARPG's.

There are some users in the thread offering counterpoints, but it's hard not to see the truth in some of those observations.
    Quote from Hiderius

Quote from shaggy

They have every right to port their game to other platforms. Thing is they haven't sufficiently improved Diablo 3 to make it worthwhile for console gamers imo.

I'm not sure why a game has to be a "classic" for it to get ported to another platform. I've seen three screenshots of the console version and the only change that I can see is in terms of UI. Does it really look like its pulling huge resources from game development?

I think they could drop the price of the game to ten dollars and people would find a way to complain about it.
    Quote from pterosmacktyl

Quote from Hiderius

Quote from shaggy

I'm not sure why a game has to be a "classic" for it to get ported to another platform. I've seen three screenshots of the console version and the only change that I can see is in terms of UI. Does it really look like its pulling huge resources from game development?

I think they could drop the price of the game to ten dollars and people would find a way to complain about it.

$10?? Goddam Blizzard trying to cram as many people through the RMAH before D3 finally dies. Screw them!

Hey! This is fun!

Blizzard adds a moddable back-end to allow us to make our own skills: Blizzard's just given up on trying to make balanced, interesting class and is getting us to do it for them.

Blizzard adds an whole new act, free: Blizzard is so useless, they made a whole new act that has so <many/few> monsters in it, we have to <completely avoid it/spend all our time there>.

... ugh... actually, pretending to be a hater is exhausting. I'm just going to go have fun playing computer games instead.
    I'm surprised at how little people seem to understand about game development. First off, the game is not a direct port, and even then, it is first and foremost a PC game - thats why its already on the market. Then, it should be carefully noted that none of the actual mechanics of the game are completely out of line with its predecessor's mechanics. Everything is working pretty well, and thecurrent design flaws D3 currently has have very little to do with what platform its on. In other words, anything that is negative about D3 would be so with or without D3 being on the console.

The biggest thing people seem to fail to realize is that the development team is not the exact same one that is doing the PC version. Why else would Blizzard be churning out constant updates that are not pay-to-play DLCs when they could, as people are assuming, release D3 on consoles quicker for money? Lets not forget that publishers such as EA and Activision are really big on milking the market, which doesn't seem the way Blizzard is going (despite having close ties to Activision).

I'm not jumping out of joy, but thats because I have no intention of getting the game for console right when it releases. Maybe further down the road, when I have a PS4 (if I get sold on that). Despite that, I have no contempt about what Blizzard is doing, especially since their approach seems anything but like a money-grabbing act. A simple PC-port could have been out ages ago if it was only about the money.
    Of all things important in Online Gaming, there is one thing no game developer can "fix" - it's community.
    This is a sad day for me. I know Blizzard was planning to do this for a long time and they have done some console development in the past (not only D1, but also SC: Ghost). However, I hoped they would simply cancel their console plans and stay on PC, especially after they announced that Diablo 3 was not intended to be an esports game I sincerely believed in that.

And now this. :-(

To all the people claiming that Diablo 3 was already developed for consoles: That's BS. I mean, maybe some of the design decisions come across as if they had consoles in mind, and maybe it was one of the reason for some design decisions, but that doesn't necessarily mean the game was designed *for* consoles. There is still so much stuff on the interface that you simply can't do right now with a game pad, they need to change this and will change this for the console port.

My point, and what I'm worried about, is what lies ahead in the future for Blizzard. If Diablo 3 on consoles turns out to be a big hit and the PC version gets less and less users, they might turn away from PC and focus their next game to be developed for consoles. I don't have consoles, I don't like consoles, so I would have to wait until they do a PC port. And this is my problem: I have played so many games in the past that were designed for consoles first and then ported to PC, and they just suck. The interface paradigm is so different, they basically have to rebuild the entire game and all the interaction. Console development is a freaking joke. The development requirements are absolutely crazy; every developer gets so many constraints by the console's platform guidelines that there's almost no freedom in designing the interaction. It's simply a completely different kind of development, not at all comparable to developing a PC game where designers have a lot of freedom.

I can bare with all the shortcoming of Diablo 3, all its flaws. I forgave Blizzard for ruining StarCraft for me personally (I don't have 250 APM and don't like micro management, so I'm out). Even though their development is awfully slow I stayed with them for two decades. But if they switch to consoles as main platform in the future, I'm out. I'm too old to give in to all this console shit and go back to the stupid thumb-smashing with which I ruined my friends' game pads 20 years ago in Street Fighter II.
    Quote from Bagstone

My point, and what I'm worried about, is what lies ahead in the future for Blizzard. If Diablo 3 on consoles turns out to be a big hit and the PC version gets less and less users, they might turn away from PC and focus their next game to be developed for consoles.

To which I say 'meh'. I mean, it could happen... one day... it's not like other PC studios haven't done the same thing... but:

1. The PS4 is just a PC slathered in icky Sony-plasm. I predict that the PS4's game library will contain a shortage of exclusive titles compared to current-gen systems. Blizzard might well release every game from here on in for the PS4, but there's no way they'll be signing exclusivity contracts with Sony unless they manage to fubar themselves royally, in which case we'll be long past caring anyway...

2. It's only Blizzard. Their defining feature isn't quality releases (if that was ever true, it hasn't been so for well over a decade), it's the long long time they continue to support their titles for... it's the games their games become... but they're just games. For every Blizzard, there's 100 indie outfits trying to become Blizzard. The only serious threat to the PC's gaming awesomeness isn't Blizzard, it's Microsoft (who are playing nice... ish... kinda... for now)... and maybe the Yogscast guys. STOP MAKING GAMING SO BRITISH, DAMMIT!

3. Shit happens. I cried a little on the inside when Psygnosis went kablooey. I was deeply bummed out when The Bitmap Brothers fizzled out, and when Impressions fell over (note: I am willing to commit horrible crimes if it means getting my hands on a decent city builder)... but like politics, all gaming careers end in failure. For some people Blizzard's demise happened with WoW (or an xpack thereafter), SC2 or (obviously) D3. For others it'll come later. Hell, maybe in 10 years Metzen and Morhaime will be cranking out Farming Simulator 2023 just so they can afford ramen for dinner and people will be chewing up that tractor-driving shit like Daniel Day-Lewis chews scenery.

Don't be a hater. Don't be a fanboy. Just keep your mind open and your gaming fun.

/rant
    If they link the playstation3/4 and PC AH/RMAH, this would be BRILLIANT, as console users are already more used to purchase 'ingame services'

We pc users will be rich, and if this is the case, i can't wait.
    Quote from Catalept

Hell, maybe in 10 years Metzen and Morhaime will be cranking out Farming Simulator 2023 just so they can afford ramen for dinner and people will be chewing up that tractor-driving shit like Daniel Day-Lewis chews scenery.

They're well paid for their work and probably saved up a lot. The trick is to leave on a high-note. Blizzard can last for decades if they take fan feedback seriously and stay on the right course.
    I just wish the playstation network could some how link to blizzards servers...but it won't :(
    I just want a little bit of tenderness :(

Quote from Aerisot

I just wish the playstation network could some how link to blizzards servers...but it won't :(

I haven't really read too much of anything that was posted, but has this already been confirmed?
    Of all things important in Online Gaming, there is one thing no game developer can "fix" - it's community.
    Quote from Bleu42

Quote from Xenocow

Quote from Enty
    So what you're telling me is that Blizzard shouldn't release this game for the PS3 & 4 because....

the PC-Port is shit, and they should worry about that first.
    How many Sales are they gonna generate on the PS3/4...after the PC Disaster?
    http://us.battle.net...23534101?page=1

What was it, 6 months of beta, where everyone with an internet connection could see for themselves or play a preview? What was it, a couple months of continuous sales after release before it reached about 12 millions copies sold?

There was no PC disaster, as the overwhelming majority of players accepted / liked the game, as proven by the CONTINUOUS sales after release. All you're doing is spreading a false narrative, when the truth is it's one of, if not the best selling PC game of all time. I'm *pretty* sure it'l do just fine on consoles.

I neither consider D3 a success nor a failure (release was shit but patching has improved it considerably) but that sentence struck me as batshit insane. Are you really saying that the beta with a lvl 13 cap and only 1 boss of A1 on ezmode is any reflection of the actual game? The simple fact is that nobody had any clue what they were buying before it was released.
    Quote from phuzi0n

Quote from Bleu42

Quote from Xenocow

the PC-Port is shit, and they should worry about that first.
    How many Sales are they gonna generate on the PS3/4...after the PC Disaster?
    http://us.battle.net...23534101?page=1

What was it, 6 months of beta, where everyone with an internet connection could see for themselves or play a preview? What was it, a couple months of continuous sales after release before it reached about 12 millions copies sold?

I neither consider D3 a success nor a failure (release was shit but patching has improved it considerably) but that sentence struck me as batshit insane. Are you really saying that the beta with a lvl 13 cap and only 1 boss of A1 on ezmode is any reflection of the actual game? The simple fact is that nobody had any clue what they were buying before it was released.

In his defense, all mechanics the game had were either in Beta or explained in detail before the actual release. The only unknown factors was the way itemization would pan out at end-game and the storyline. In all honesty, I can't fault Blizzard for not revealing the entire game to the community before release when one of their biggest strengths is the lore that their IPs hold.
    Quote from Ferret

Quote from Aerisot

I haven't really read too much of anything that was posted, but has this already been confirmed?

Nothing of the sort has so far been either confirmed or denied, sadly.

Ha. Bagstone.

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes