Exploding Palm Glitch?

yeah, that's how the skill works :) we are awesome in parties anyways :)
    The skill is suffering from the same problems as the Necromancer's Corpse Explosion.

When it did scale with players (and /players 8 command), like it used to before some patch I can't recall the number of, it was so completely overpowered compared to any other skill in the game (provided you had corpses).

I just need 1 or 2 corpses and I could clear entire screen of mobs with just a few more recasts, it was fun I won't lie... but it was ridiculously over powered ^^

Then they did the "lasy" "fix" of just making it stop scaling, which is fair cause then it's doing the damage it's supposed to be doing... except that isn't quite true... cause if you just scale up the all the monster's hp, getting more then 1-2 corpses easy was a LOT harder then it is on player 1 (or solo, in the case of D3). So just making skills like Corpse Explosion and Exploding Palm "just" be based on mobs base hp is not quite the way I would have done it.

I would like to see the skills maybe gain a bit of AoE radius (in the case of Palm, my 23 skill point CE was wicked HUGE ^^) and maybe even "just" do 30-40% of mobs hp based on how much you boost the radius, but at the same time this should scale UP with more players/monsterlvl, but not at the same rate as the mobs hp (cause it would be op) but to some factor of it, so that maybe it MP3 or 3 players it does 50-70% of monster's base hp.

My 2 cents.
    Winter is coming...
    Yup, i noticed the same thing - it is probably meant for single player :3
    Quote from Nausicaa

Then they did the "lasy" "fix" of just making it stop scaling, which is fair cause then it's doing the damage it's supposed to be doing... except that isn't quite true... cause if you just scale up the all the monster's hp, getting more then 1-2 corpses easy was a LOT harder then it is on player 1 (or solo, in the case of D3).

That's because players in Diablo 2 didn't actually play together. Alot of times they'd be off soloing with 7 other players elsewhere (and if they weren't, boy you should see what a synergized party could do to bosses.) Maybe some high-end farming D3 plays like that for whatever reason, and the skill would be gimped in those instances, but I haven't seen much of that.
    Please. No flaming.

Ha. Bagstone.

Quote from Nausicaa

The skill is suffering from the same problems as the Necromancer's Corpse Explosion.

When it did scale with players (and /players 8 command), like it used to before some patch I can't recall the number of, it was so completely overpowered compared to any other skill in the game (provided you had corpses).

I agree, and I don't think the solution is just to make it scale on HPs such that it's brutally OP in multi-player games. There has to be a way to make it useful solo and multi-player without making it a MUST HAVE for co-op, right?
    p438 :: 90.5k EK :: 2.50m TK
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Quote from FoxBatD2

Quote from Nausicaa

Then they did the "lasy" "fix" of just making it stop scaling, which is fair cause then it's doing the damage it's supposed to be doing... except that isn't quite true... cause if you just scale up the all the monster's hp, getting more then 1-2 corpses easy was a LOT harder then it is on player 1 (or solo, in the case of D3).

That's because players in Diablo 2 didn't actually play together. Alot of times they'd be off soloing with 7 other players elsewhere (and if they weren't, boy you should see what a synergized party could do to bosses.) Maybe some high-end farming D3 plays like that for whatever reason, and the skill would be gimped in those instances, but I haven't seen much of that.

What if you teamed up with a barb that had the ring with "dead monsters rest in peace" aka doesn't give corpses after you kill stuff ^^?

Would be hard to use CE then (or Exploding Palm, if you have a WD running around fearing everything, or... the list goes on).

The thing is, it's a little bit weaker the more players you have if it doesn't scale, and it's WAY to powerful if it does. There is a balance in there somewhere, it just has to be tweaked and tested.
    Winter is coming...
    Shouldn't this go into the monk section?
    Quote from shaggy

Quote from Nausicaa

I agree, and I don't think the solution is just to make it scale on HPs such that it's brutally OP in multi-player games. There has to be a way to make it useful solo and multi-player without making it a MUST HAVE for co-op, right?

Absolutely, and I never it should scale directly and linearly with monster HP in MP levels (or maybe I did; but if I did, I apologise, it's not what I meant).
    I just don't think it should be a flat % of the monsters HP at MP0, no matter what MP you're using.

Nausicaa makes good points.
    Quote from maka

Absolutely, and I never it should scale directly and linearly with monster HP in MP levels (or maybe I did; but if I did, I apologise, it's not what I meant).
    I just don't think it should be a flat % of the monsters HP at MP0, no matter what MP you're using.

Nausicaa makes good points.

Don't think it's flat HP at MP0 even if you're in MP5. That would be way underpowered. It's flat HP at any MP but for Single player.

Simple case study:
    - If you're soloing in MP5 and mobs have 2mil HP, then it will do 1mil dmg on explosion.
    - If you're in a 4 player party in MP5 and mobs have 8mil hp (example), then it will still do 1mil dmg on explosion because at mp5 solo mobs have 2mil hp.
    ^^Sorry, yeah, that's what I meant. Was multi-tasking at the time, I think my brain got a bit confused.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes