Exploding Palm Glitch?

Hi everybody, I main a monk. I noticed something a little unusual over the past few days while playing my monk while using exploding palm. When I grind, I usually do it solo. When I use exploding palm and last hit an enemy of a mob, I notice the effect of exploding palm's "50% max hp done as physical damage" on surrounding mobs. Occasionally, I'll play with my friends and I notice the effect of Exploding palm is not as strong on the mobs when you kill one of the surrounding monsters. In other words, I've noticed things like, when I kill a surrounding monster, say with 3 other members in my party, the monsters don't lose 50% of their health (which you should see at least 50% of their HP bar go down considering they're all the same monster in the same mob). When I solo, I definitely see this happen. When I'm in a large party, this DOES not happen. You're lucky if you see 20-30% of the Mobs HP go down.

I noticed the 'glitch', specifically when I was killing Ghom and Rak in mp8 Ubers. When I kill Rak with Exploding palm, I saw about 70% of Ghoms HP instantly drop. When I went to do the same thing with a party of 3 on MP8 ubers, I only saw 20-30% of Ghom's HP drop.

Would someone mind shedding some light on this? Has anybody else noticed this effect?

Thanks.
    Is it possible that it only takes the base HP of the monsters and doesn't include the bonus HP monsters gain in a group?
    The radius needs to be extended from whatever it is now. Seems like the only time it hits is if the Elites are on top of each other. I been noticing that with CM wiz that if the elite is frozen and dies the radius is less, I don't know if I'm not seeing it, but its not noticable def. not 50%... Also it seems to me that the bigger the elite the bigger the radius, I'm not sure..just personal observation...There needs to be more forums on this skill, cuz it can be sooo awesome if they tweaked a few mechanics..

Is it possible that it only takes the base HP of the monsters and doesn't include the bonus HP monsters gain in a group?

I think you're right, if that's the case, I won't be using this skill anymore in Groups. They need to re-word the skill to where it doesn't say 50% of MAX hp.

Also, I would like to see the radius increased just a tad, now that you mention it.
    I agree it should be worded better, but I'm not sure why you think yourself uniquely entitled to do more damage in multiplayer games than solo. Unless you guys are split up, assuming your party is any decent, it should see you making corpses slighly faster than solo, meaning more triggers of exploding palm for the exact same amount of damage.
    Uniquely entitled? Wtf? I'm uniquely entitled to use skills with the assumption they're going to do what they're going to do. In no way am I asking to do more damage than what the skill leads me to believe.

I'm not sure why you think yourself uniquely entitled to do more damage in multiplayer games than solo.

Uhm......yeah, maybe tone down the agression just a bit.
    isent it that it deals 50% of ITS health to surrounding mobs, meaning if it has 1 million health and its 10 mobs so thats 500k divided by 10 meaning 50k health? hmm sound too weak to be true, however packs normaly they have anywhere to 1 mil - 20 mil depending on MP, and it pretty much never hits 10 in packs, before patch i was using it alot and it defently did som crazy damage then when it was 30%
    main problem with this skill u dont actually see any numbers when it explode so hard to know what damage it does

isent it that it deals 50% of ITS health to surrounding mobs, meaning if it has 1 million health and its 10 mobs so thats 500k divided by 10 meaning 50k health? hmm sound too weak to be true, however packs normaly they have anywhere to 1 mil - 20 mil depending on MP, and it pretty much never hits 10 in packs, before patch i was using it alot and it defently did som crazy damage then when it was 30%
    main problem with this skill u dont actually see any numbers when it explode so hard to know what damage it does

Or they could've forgotten to tweak the skill in party mode, and it does the old 30% damage :P
    as far as i know, this has never been different and is not a glitch.

the skill just takes the base-hp of the monster (not the buffed hp by more players) because it would be way to strong then, making it 3-4 times more efficient in parties.

that's about it :)

the skill just takes the base-hp of the monster (not the buffed hp by more players) because it would be way to strong then, making it 3-4 times more efficient in parties.

+1 Makes sense.

I think this makes it way too weak in large parties.

I think this makes it way too weak in large parties.

I don't think EP is weaker in large parties, it is still doing the damage as it suppose to do. Because no skill in this game scale with HP bonus granted by parties all team members are still doing similar damage as they do solo (except buffs, synergies etc), the HP bonus are there because there are now multiple players nuke them.
    Yep, if it does 1mil dmg when monsters explode in solo play, it should still do 1mil dmg when monsters explode in party mode. But relative to percentage of health, it's low but it still does same dmg. Makes sense.
    You're assuming that all players are wailing on the same monster(s) at the same time, all the time. Which is just not true.

You're assuming that all players are wailing on the same monster(s) at the same time, all the time. Which is just not true.

That doesn't change the fact that allowing it to scale as you'd suggest would make Exploding Palm more powerful (and more mandatory) the more people in the game. If you don't understand exactly what's wrong with that, at a very basic level, then I don't know what to say.

The bottom line is that no ability should scale up, proportionally, in damage to the number of people in the game. The point of playing in a group is that you have to cooperatively kill the monsters, not that your DPS scales up proportionally and you just go on soloing in a 4-player game as if it's a 1-player game.

If you're playing by yourself in a multiplayer game it SHOULD take you proportionally longer to kill monsters. There's no way to argue against that, but what you're suggesting is exactly the opposite and it simply makes no sense at all as no other skill in the game would behave like that and it would make monks insanely OP in a group situation to the point that 4-monk groups would outperform other groups by unbelievable margins.

The wording is fucked-up, but that's the only thing that's wrong with the ability.
    66.0k elite kills :: 1.97m total kills :: p244
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)

The wording is fucked-up, but that's the only thing that's wrong with the ability.

Without turning the skill description into a small essay I'm not sure how they could correct the wording.

But, yeah, shouldn't scale up with more players unless a cap on max damage or something for EP is implemented, although that just adds more hidden variables.

Does it scale with MP btw? I assume it does, making it very powerful on higher MP levels.
    Wait... You got a skills that does damage based on a monsters hp and that scales with MP level and you are complaining that it does not scale with number of players? Just scaling with MP seems to be pretty strong (don't want to say OP) making it the most damaging skill in the game. Getting an Ubers HP down to 30% with 1 hit regardless of MP seems to be quite an advantage.

Reminds me of Corpse Explosion pre 1.03.... (question would be if you could chain Exploding Palm: Mark 3 monsters, kill the first 1 with the most hitpoints, then look at the other 2 exploding killing everything else; this would pretty much not be in line witht the design of MPs).

+1 Makes sense.

thx ;)

yeah it does scale with MP, which makes it awesome. its maybe the best skill vs the strongest monsters ingame (it was when inferno act 3/4 were hard and it's now on high MP) and generally vs everything you dont stomp into the ground instantly.

but i agree, it's not that useful in parties though it does the same damage as if you were alone! like every skill does.
    monks are sooo strong in parties anyways =)
    So, making it OP in parties = no-no
    but making it UP in parties = OK
    and making it OP in high MP = more than fair.

Got it.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes