Diablo 3 Rage!

*Mod notice: if this post is in the wrong subsection, please move it.*

Alright, brace for rage!

Now, let me start off with saying that I love this game, but more on that later. Rage first!

Ever since Diablo 3's release, there have been numerous rage posts about "The game is too hard", "The game is boring", "RNG sucks!", "I want dueling pvp QQ", "My -insert class- sucks!" and other bile-spewing. While some of the negative feedback does ring true to an extent, MUST people go on such a rampage!? I'm not even just talking about Diablo 3 anymore, you see this behavior popping up all over the place!

I'll give you my experience, an anecdote for comparison and then a summary for those who are already bored of reading my sh*t.

My experience

I started playing the Diablo franchise starting at Diablo: LotD 1.09, ages before the ladder items and ubers. I loved the game so much, I even made a Vanilla char (without LotD) and a Diablo 1 char, though the latter not as much. I leveled a paladin (Zealot!), an Amazon (Dexazonpewpew!), a Sorceress (pvp tank) to level 99 and even a barbarian (scythe-whirlwind) and a Necromancer (bone spear) after 1.10. Safe to say I spent A LOT of time on that game, so far only one other game managed to waste more of my time. Truth be told though, that game wasn't balanced at all! it took my paladin and sorc as long to kill 3 cow packs as it took my dexazon to get the leg, open the portal and clear the entire place with a full party of slackers!

In 1.09, you'd only have like 1-MAYBE 2 viable specs PER CLASS. While that was annoying, people just waited patiently for the fabled patch 1.10 (which might never come). When the patch did hit -POOF- it was like I was playing an entire new game! The funny thing though, the patch that changed EVERYTHING landed WAY past release date and we'd hardly have any info beforehand, either.

So then eventually I moved on from Diablo 2 (let's face it, it DID get old eventually). Started playing WoW and a huge range of other games in between, occasionally play some offline chars on D2 for nostalgia. Then Diablo 3 was going to release. While I did look forward to it, I always try to live without expectations, keeps me happier in general. The day of release, I got to play like 2 hours with some friends before I went off to eat and came back to Error 32, so I got some sleep in as well. The next couple of days the servers stabilized and we could play again... then we hit hell (I was playing a DH and kind of forgot how to play top-down games), the going got tougher and reaching inferno, it seemed insurmountable. I didn't read forums THAT much then and just assumed it was supposed to be that way, so I just kept going.

When I grew tired of dying to the same elite pack a few too many times, or Belial smacking me a tiny bit too hard because I'm a slowpoke, I'd just turn off the game and go play something else. Watch a movie. Read a book. Be productive... See, I'd already paid for the game which, knowing Blizzard, would only improve over time and was great in its own right, I wasn't paying a monthly or annually subscription, so it's not like I lose anything for not playing it for a while. I knew what to expect from the get-go, I've been playing Blizzard games (Diablo and WoW, anyway) for a while, so I KNEW there'd be hiccups along the way. WoW was great, but it was never 100% balanced and neither was Diablo 2.

An anecdote for comparison

You know what ticks me off? Cyclists and pedestrian. Why? They think they're special, privileged. The gov spend a ton of money "improving safety" for these 2 groups of people that are called "weak road users (?)" (literally translated) in my country. As if they're a baby carried by motorists and there's an angsty mom screaming "WATCH IT, DONT DROP MY BABY" every five seconds. When they get hit by a car, a bus or a truck, the first thing that gets investigated is the motorist's situation. "Was he on the phone/texting/playing with his radio?" "Was he speeding?" "Was it intentional?" Then, if that fails, they look at the vehicle and/or the road conditions. "Was the car malfunctioning?" "was the road wet?" "Is the speed limit set too high?" etc...etc...

If all else fails and it really was the cyclist/pedestrian's fault for crossing the road without looking or for embracing his "weakness" and assuming the motorist will stop anyway... Guess what. Yes, they publicly announce the cyclist/pedestrian was in the wrong. They add more road signs, improve lighting, lower the speed limit, add speed bumps... etc. ANYTHING but blame the "weak" one.

By now, you probably think I'm an angry car owner and lost my license because I hit a "darn youngster" on a bike. No, I'm 28, never had a drivers' license and have been biking EVERYWHERE for the past 16 years. I've never had an accident because I'm allergic to getting hit by big metal objects, so I don't act like a moron(YOLO!) Near AND far, warm AND cold. You might wonder why I'm telling you all this, well purchasing anything is comparable to deciding you'd like to get hit by a truck or not.

My opinion (or summary)

You knowingly spent 50€ or an equivalent in dollars, pounds or whatever on a game. Did you read any previews? Played beta? Knew a friend who's cousin's wife knows a guy who's played Diablo 3 on beta and said that Diablo 3 IS GONNA BE DA BOMB. In other words, are you sure that truck is stopping? Because if you're not sure, you might just as well wait until it's passed before you can 100% safely cross the road.

If you're going to tell me you bought Diablo 3 because "it's all hyped and everyone's buying it!", then I feel sad for your mom who'd have to identify your mangled remains among "everyone's" bodies who crossed the road without looking. NO ONE made you buy the game/cross the road. So you can't expect a big corporation(or huge truck) to do your bidding on the fly, it never has and never will happen. I don't know about anyone else, but when I spend 50 hours on a single player game for which I've paid 50€, I feel like I've gotten a decent game. When I've played 200+ hours on a game, I'm sure I got a really good game on my hands.

My top 5 most played games:
    1. WoW ( well over 300 days /played, including afk of course)
    2. Diablo 2 (well over 150 days played)
    3. Battlefield 3 (1200+ hours played, effective)
    4. Mass Effect games (450+ hours played, effective)
    5. Diablo 3 (300+ hours played, effective)

Of course, I can't exactly play as much now as in the past, since I'm neither going to school, nor am I unemployed, but seeing the amount of games I play, Diablo 3 scores well, from an objective point of view. Do I play every day? No, I sometimes do get pissed off when my wizard oneshots herself on a RD pack, or my DH's own turrets kill her from RD. You know, 90% of the things that I disliked about Diablo 3 have been settled.

Did Blizzard make a few mistakes with announcing some things before they realized them? Sure, you could name Dueling for one, but if you'd want duelling like it was in D2, you'd be in for a nasty surprise if you were expecting balanced fights. All I can remember from D2 is fights lasting 2-3 seconds depending on LOS.

As I said, this bitching and moaning is happening on every. single. game. Sometimes I just hate the internet and long for the days when no one could afford it. Or when internet time was too valuable to waste on complaining about games.

TL;DR: Know what to expect, bitch less and stop acting like Blizzard OWES you something. Technically, you've already paid and they don't owe you squat, enjoy your game.

PS: sorry for the wall of text.
    PPS: I realize I'm raging about raging. I'd just hate if raging about EVERYTHING became a thing.
    Quote from AnEvilForce

TL;DR: Know what to expect, bitch less and stop acting like Blizzard OWES you something. Technically, you've already paid and they don't owe you squat, enjoy your game.

We've come to expect a certain standard from Blizzard. The standard has been used as a rag to wipe the developer's asses.
    Sure, I get where you're coming from. You've paid for it, deal with it. I played the beta, and really liked the game. Something wasn't quite right, as in it didn't really look like a diablo game to me, but up to level 12 (or 13? can't remember) it looked like something I'd waste hundreds if not thousands of hours on in the coming years.

Live came up, and the inability to play the game the first 3 days, wasn't quite a big deal, even though I'd amassed obscene amounts of energy drinks and food. After the game became playable and I finished nightmare and was halfway through hell, the obvious flaws started coming up. Not gonna get into that. I was terribly disappointed, but I kept on playing and playing, having ABSOLUTE certainty that the game will get better in no time. That certainty has long since evaporated. The game, in my opinion, has irredeemable problems. Like the fact that it's about playing the ah and not the game. Don't give me "don't use the AH" crap. I'm a somewhat hardcore player and hardcore lover of the diablo franchise. I don't wanna spend years to get that one better than average item.

Sure, I've invested around 500 hours into the game. Because the game is not bad in the sense that it is unplayable. Most of my fun came from RNG, like having two legendaries drop out of 2 barrels that were right next to each other, or having lucky streaks. But that's...pretty much it. I kept playing for this because, like I said, I was sure that it will get better.

The game is definitely worth 60$... if you're someone not accustomed to Blizzard quality and standards. I feel cheated. Not out of my money, 60$ is shit. I feel my faith in them has been cheated. They were the apex in grand gaming companies. By those standards, this game is ...I'm sorry, but crap is the way I feel about it. I would've gladly paid more if the game was actually good. Diablo 3 is aimed at a certain kind of people, and I'm ok with that. I would've loved to know everything I know now before I bought it. And again, not because I'm holding with my teeth on those 60 bucks, but because I wouldn't have bought it as a personal sign of protest. Sure, nobody would've cared, but it's what I would've done.

I was looking forward so much to D3 and playing it with my friends and having a good time. 9 months later, we've all said "screw it". I remember the addiction certain Blizzard games caused. I was unable to get away from my keyboard. Not for food, not for my girlfriend. Nothing. The last times I played D3, I couldn't be arsed to stay for more than 10 minutes in from of the screen.

And you bet your ass I'm gonna complain wherever and whenever I want. I don't care that perhaps nobody cares. I don't care if it's futile. I believe it's within my rights to do so. I'm not one of those people that just barge into threads and troll about how bad the game is. It's a phase I'm going through because my disappointment was so big, I just can't let it go nor believe this has happened. I'm not looking to change anyone's mind. I'm not gonna go talk about this with my father. I discuss this stuff with you guys because you're my gaming family. Forums are the place I talk things through; regarding games. Not about real life stuff, just gaming stuff. This is where I can express myself and receive or offer advices.
    The problem with Diablo 3 is that behind all the nice façade it's a cash cow. It's been designed to be so. As soon as they announced online only I gave up on the game. I knew it will be a disappointment even before beta. Not because it became an online game, but because the reasons for that: to create a walled, closed ecosystem directed by Blizzard. Most criticism can be derived to the fact that people can't play how they like to play. They have to accept whatever Blizzard decides, and that feeling sucks.

Anyways, even if you missed what's the rage about, your post was a fun read :)
    @ Sartorius: Just going to say that none of the gear I ever found in Diablo 2 ended up on my own chars :) Everything got traded for different gear. Not the same as "playing the AH", but to be fair I wouldn't have the time or the energy anymore to go about spamming channels for trades and spending an hour negotiating. That's why eventually traded via D2JSP, but even that became a drag.

"Blizzard Standard"? Aside from Starcraft, which I don't play, the only reference I have is WoW. In a way WoW's... ehh... "quality" has deteriorated as well, though that's not why I quit playing it. I say the "Blizzard Standard" is dropping overall.

@m4st00n: of course it's a money cow, EVERYTHING is. Look at how many games come out Free2Play with loads of microtransactions. Pay2Play comes with paid DLC and then there's subscription based games, which becomes harder to sell, because with microtransactions it doesn't feel like we spend a lot of money. Would you rather pay 200 euros for a game + a whole bunch of pixels that don't really help you, or pay 50 and 30 times 5 euros spread over some time of all these useless cosmetic pixels which STILL don't do anything. Blizzard is still a company, they have to turn a profit while they can, before the Steam-monster gobbles everything up.
    I hate this "moneygrab" shit so much. Blizzard could easily sell additional stashtabs or make "cosmetic only" items by cutting out the looks of itemtiers 4-16. Just because it's cosmetic only it's totally ok for those people. I prefer paying 50€ for a COMPLETE game to a free to play game that makes me pay for every luxury there is or a game that releases 10€ dlcs every 2 months.

Blizzard could release new craft recipes as a dlc every month. They could sell items on the RMAH but they are not. Why? Because they want longterm success and seeing how all these idiots blame them, for allowing players to buy items in the game instead of on 3d party sites, just makes sad.

On the whole is the game good or not good thing:

Go start new characters with 3 friends on MP10. Trade only the items you guys find yourselves and don't ever use any AH at all and then try to say the game isn't fun.
    Quote from AnEvilForce

This confuses me...
    you claim to be around for Diablo2, and you didnt put DAoC, Everquest1 or even UO on that List ?
    This Games were pretty much the Blueprint for WoW.

You put 3 Blizzard Titels in your Top5, and there were shitloads of other Great Games in the last Decade.
    It gives me the Impression that you are just another blind fanboy.

Also supporting EA is not a good thing to do this days.

Dead Space 3... buy clips for real money. Its not even a Week on the Market, and they announce a DLC.
    Sim City...a full price game with a Microtransaction Shop (lol).
    SW:ToR...i love it... but they also draining the Customers with new Ingame Shit all 2 Weeks.

All they want is your Money.
    Quote from Melt

Go start new characters with 3 friends on MP10. Trade only the items you guys find yourselves and don't ever use any AH at all and then try to say the game isn't fun.

The game isn't fun.
    Quote from Xenocow

Quote from AnEvilForce

This confuses me...
    you claim to be around for Diablo2, and you didnt put DAoC, Everquest1 or even UO on that List ?
    This Games were pretty much the Blueprint for WoW.

You put 3 Blizzard Titels in your Top5, and there were shitloads of other Great Games in the last Decade.
    It gives me the Impression that you are just another blind fanboy.

Also supporting EA is not a good thing to do this days.

Dead Space 3... buy clips for real money. Its not even a Week on the Market, and they announce a DLC.
    Sim City...a full price game with a Microtransaction Shop (lol).
    SW:ToR...i love it... but they also draining the Customers with new Ingame Shit all 2 Weeks.

All they want is your Money.

That's because I never played those titles. I had a RL too, y'know... I'm mainly an RPG fan. I also never played quake or doom or ANY of the Valve titles other than L4D and portal. Games I did play? Hmmm... Duke nukem 2, Duke Nukem 3d, carmageddon, mechcommander 1&2, mechwarrior 3&4, Deus Ex 1&2&HR, Neocron, Hidden&Dangerous 1&2, all Commandos games. In retrospect I shoulda put Rollercoaster Tycoon up there too. There's plenty games I played A LOT, I just don't always remember. I could probably put another game on 4 or 5, but f*ck if I can remember how much time I spent on those games.

Supporting EA is such BS, they get rich anyways, might as well enjoy the few good games they DO make. I like BF3, I just hope BF4 will be better from the go.

And yeah... Technically Borderlands 2 also released with its 5th playable char in it, but it came as a DLC anyways. Aliens: Colonial Marines had its Season Pass already up on Steam even though the game isn't out yet. Same with the new Tomb Raider. See a trend? Most companies that deliver a "finished" game, end up sinking. Unless the game is multiplatform. While it hasn't been said, I'm sure in Diablo's case, the devs were under pressure from Activision too, because a game like this isn't earning money while under development.
    Quote from maka

Quote from Melt

The game isn't fun.

Seconded.

A loot hunt game that is no rewarding when you find loot.. -> epic fail.

"Know what to expect" <- what kind of nonsense is that?...
    Blizzard is still a company, they have to turn a profit while they can, before the Steam-monster gobbles everything up.

Here's an article for you:
    Dumb Things Fanboys Say: ‘Companies Exist to Make Money’

In case you don't have time, here's the summary:

I hate this "moneygrab" shit so much. Blizzard could easily sell additional stashtabs or make "cosmetic only" items by cutting out the looks of itemtiers 4-16. Just because it's cosmetic only it's totally ok for those people. I prefer paying 50€ for a COMPLETE game to a free to play game that makes me pay for every luxury there is or a game that releases 10€ dlcs every 2 months.

Blizzard could release new craft recipes as a dlc every month. They could sell items on the RMAH but they are not. Why? Because they want longterm success and seeing how all these idiots blame them, for allowing players to buy items in the game instead of on 3d party sites, just makes sad.

I find your argument strange, as RMAH is in fact, selling Blizzard's items. We, as gamers, don't own anything in the game, according to the licenses we agreed to. Anyways, AH and RMAH is fine, but since there is very little benefit beyond that to online only, I'm inclined to believe that this requirement exist solely to direct all trade to AH/RMAH. Other online/social features of Diablo 3 are seriously lacking, which adds to the disappointment in the game. So far this game full of missed opportunities.

I just want to say this was really well written. You don't get many rants that flow so well.
    Quote from m4st0d0n

The problem with Diablo 3 is that behind all the nice façade it's a cash cow. It's been designed to be so.

Diablo 3 and it's RMAH were designed to provide support for the long term. Software companies would go broke trying to provide full-support/updates, changes to any title 5-8 years after it launches.

Did you people not understand why Diablo 2 fell apart? It turned into a hack-a-thon dupe-orgy with dizzying speed. It had no long-term support.
    BurningRope#1322

Thats actually a pretty good read.
    It mirrors my Opinion of the Gaming Industry today perfectly.
    Quote from ruksak

Quote from m4st0d0n

The problem with Diablo 3 is that behind all the nice façade it's a cash cow. It's been designed to be so.

Diablo 3 and it's RMAH were designed to provide support for the long term. Software companies would go broke trying to provide full-support/updates, changes to any title 5-8 years after it launches.

Did you people not understand why Diablo 2 fell apart? It turned into a hack-a-thon dupe-orgy with dizzying speed. It had no long-term support.

You say Diablo 2 did not have long-term support? Patches after ten years deny that claim. Anyways, an optional offline mode would not need no expensive support. Paid content expansions will come, an through them Blizzard has all the finances needed for long term balancing. RMAH is just extra profit. But let me emphasize, I have no problem with RMAH. No offline mode is what I pity.
    Quote from Xenocow

Thats actually a pretty good read.
    It mirrors my Opinion of the Gaming Industry today perfectly.

You mirror my opinion of the gaming community today perfectly.

Speak without thinking and take whatever quote benefits you. Looks like media has succeeded.

I find your argument strange, as RMAH is in fact, selling Blizzard's items. We, as gamers, don't own anything in the game, according to the licenses we agreed to. Anyways, AH and RMAH is fine, but since there is very little benefit beyond that to online only, I'm inclined to believe that this requirement exist solely to direct all trade to AH/RMAH. Other online/social features of Diablo 3 are seriously lacking, which adds to the disappointment in the game. So far this game full of missed opportunities.

Starcraft 2 is online only aswell. And guess what, it has no RMAH. I would like to play WoW offline. But even though it doesn't have a RMAH (people still buy shit for real money) i can't play it without an internet connection! Maybe the average flamer/rager hasn't realized it yet but i'll try to do that for you. THEY WILL KEEP MAKING ONLINE ONLY GAMES.

This online only requirement exists to stop people from hacking offline characters and trashing the online economy that way (go try torchlight 2).

Seconded.

A loot hunt game that is no rewarding when you find loot.. -> epic fail.

"Know what to expect"

I don't know what game you are playing but i am still finding upgrades/sidegrades on at least every 3rd run even with 300hours played.
    Quote from m4st0d0n

Quote from ruksak

Quote from m4st0d0n

You say Diablo 2 did not have long-term support? Patches after ten years deny that claim. Anyways, an optional offline mode would not need no expensive support. Paid content expansions will come, an through them Blizzard has all the finances needed for long term balancing. RMAH is just extra profit.

I like how you pretend to know the business. The patches to D2 were bare-bones offerings and you know it.

There was 1 expansion, for a game played consistently by thousands of people over 12 years.....ONE expansion.

We will witness more than 1 expansion. We will witness constant (significant) change and updates.

Of course there's profit-play at work with the RMAH design. It's a great business model. Why does that HAVE to be a bad thing, for us, the player?
    BurningRope#1322
    Of course there's profit-play at work with the RMAH design. It's a great business model. Why does that HAVE to be a bad thing, for us, the player?

You cut off my quote, and then ask this? This is what I wrote:

But let me emphasize, I have no problem with RMAH. No offline mode is what I pity.

I'd elaborate, but this guy said it better than me. He is a professor, doing a presentation at DICE 2013. 22 minutes, but well worth it. Don't bother to reply if you didn't watch it 'til the end.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us6OPbYtKBM

As for Diablo 2 and patches, there's no need for more than balancing between expansions. A patch is a patch. It fixes things. Even with that, Diablo 2 actually did receive new features well beyond LoD. Just read the OP, lol. Don't take WoW patches as standard, WoW is a service, and now Diablo 3 is made to be a service. That is my problem with it.

Starcraft 2 is online only aswell.

Not true. Network play and achievements have online only requirement, but the single player game can be fully played offline.

Quote from ruksak

Only if you played on bnet. If you played SP, LAN or TCP/IP the game was as fun as ever.
    Quote from maka

Quote from ruksak

Only if you played on bnet. If you played SP, LAN or TCP/IP the game was as fun as ever.

I suppose but my point is that the majority of people want a high quality, hack free, dupe free online client to play and trade with other people. The majority of people want there to be a significant cause for Blizz to continue to pour money into full-support of Diablo 3 for many many years to come.

The only model that allows this to be, without a monthly sub, is the RMAH model. Period.
    BurningRope#1322
    Quote from ruksak

I suppose but my point is that the majority of people want a high quality, hack free, dupe free online client to play and trade with other people. The majority of people want there to be a significant cause for Blizz to continue to pour money into full-support of Diablo 3 for many many years to come.

The only model that allows this to be, without a monthly sub, is the RMAH model. Period.

How do you know what does the majority want? You don't know. Your argument is invalid.
    But even with the theoretical(!) hack free online mode, what's wrong with an extra offline/custom mode?
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes