Blizzard is Unaware of Diablo 3's Downfall...

Quote from Xenocow

Quote from Indimix

Don't be like that.. the forums these days are kind of dead tbh.

Besides, the admin told me that if I get the 1000 post achievement they would consider give me a mod.

That would be something...
    first i would ban all those pesty D3 fanboys....
    then i would rename the whole page pathofexilefans.com...
    after that i would continue with my plans for world dominion...muuaaah :)
    Then again i am evil... and a hater... a evil hater!

they never give me that.

Guess i have to keep playing my Shadow Hunter...and simply have fun.

This reminds me of a South Park episode where people who just wanted to preserve a piece of history found themselves (not to theif satisfaction) on the same side of an issue as Klan members.
    Don't know if anyone knows what I mean........
    Quote from BigEd781

I came back to see how the game/forum was doing after a long while away. Things have changed 0%. Not a good sign.

Things changed.

Before it was all haters and fanboys, now both factions are bored, so a third faction emerged: the indifferents.
    Quote from Indimix

Quote from BigEd781

I came back to see how the game/forum was doing after a long while away. Things have changed 0%. Not a good sign.

Things changed.

Before it was all haters and fanboys, now both factions are bored, so a third faction emerged: the indifferents.

...I guess you're right. I inadvertently switched factions.
    I still remember how we discussed the game before it's release long long time ago. I still remember how exited we all were for every bit of info they released about the game. Truth being told i bought the game because of the wonderful community we had back then and the love we shared of the previous two games.

It was a wonderful experience and the game looked like it would prove to be quite good. Ultimately tho i dunno what the HELL happened, but the game is a great disaster. Most of the awesome stuff from back then either got cut or abandoned for no reason, and at some point they kept restarting, re-cutting, restarting until it just... the game became very bland and stripped of any form of thought involving activities. I think i missed many of this changes couse at some point i just stop vising the site here, i was certain the game was going to be great! Guess my bad for not being a hype whore to the very end... The recent console release conformation just explained a lot of things for me, regarding this bland decisions...

Dunno perhaps Blizzard North did matter, as Dave Brevik pointed in his interview witch spawned so much debacle simply because he was stating his opinion. Witch apparently was proved right, since the game has no director now... for some reason...

I moved away tho, i don't think the game will be ever "fixed" with so many fundamental bad design decisions. Played more or less 2-3 weeks value of total time invested since release and don't find any reason to invest more. After 4-5 month brake came back to give HC a chance, was really nice but after a while it boiled down to the same thing as in SC, and the lack of core changes just concretes the "dancing around the problems" tune they kinda play. Haven't played a month since then...

There's something wrong with the game, it's a good game "technically" but it's a terrible diablo game.
    Fixed it for you.
    I haven't checked on this topic since the 100th post. It's past tripled since then... what's going on now?
    Blizzard Entertainment - Diablo III Community MVP
    in the beginning d3 was actually getting good reviews and was welll liked, it wasnt until a large amount of players hit the wall of inferno, and that started it all. IT all began from there. People were very excited for the first few weeks.

But instead of realizng that inferno was suppose to be the end game, people decided that they wanted more even though they hadnt even cracked much past that seemingingly insurmountable wall which was inferno's entrance.

Yeah i know they cut alot out of the final product that probably will be included in the expansion, "the mystic", enchancements, socketing, rune words, etc........

To me its more of d3 didnt live up to heavens's standards, rather then actually sucking.

^^^ like the abover poster^^^^ its has beautiful art design, smooth combat, so many things done well, but a diablo game might not be one of its strong points.

I did find some things just bizarre or totally incomplete, the water temple seemed no finished and even after using the ferryman that area seemed very rushed. BUt i loved all the enemies and animations. But wish the boss fights weere organic and found wherever your character was at the time whether underground or in a dungeon or etc.
    "We were so wrong "
    Quote from Jaetch

I haven't checked on this topic since the 100th post. It's past tripled since then... what's going on now?

To be honest, there are a few good posts in the thread but all in all it is more akin to the Special Olympics...

My opinion on the topic has become less cynical on the game and more on the community. It seems to me, and I am just being frank here, that the community is comprised of two people. Those with less expectations and find themselves enjoying the game and then the people who bought the game expecting that the hand of God himself touched the team at Blizzard and granted them the powers to develop a perfect game and now after having played it feel let down. The entitlement they feel is IMHO appalling.

I know I am going to get flamed for saying so but it doesn’t bother me. Hearing the complaints from those who say the game is dead simply shows the level at which people’s expectations of the game rose and then couple that with the entitlement culture we live in and viola, you have one of the most discontent communities in all of gaming history... Or so it would seem if you simply read these forums.
    "There is no cow level!"
    Ah, the conservative buzz-word of the moment........
    "No one will remember if the game is late, only if it’s great".
    Quote from Syronicus

To be honest, there are a few good posts in the thread but all in all it is more akin to the Special Olympics...

My opinion on the topic has become less cynical on the game and more on the community. It seems to me, and I am just being frank here, that the community is comprised of two people. Those with less expectations and find themselves enjoying the game and then the people who bought the game expecting that the hand of God himself touched the team at Blizzard and granted them the powers to develop a perfect game and now after having played it feel let down. The entitlement they feel is IMHO appalling.

I know I am going to get flamed for saying so but it doesn’t bother me. Hearing the complaints from those who say the game is dead simply shows the level at which people’s expectations of the game rose and then couple that with the entitlement culture we live in and viola, you have one of the most discontent communities in all of gaming history... Or so it would seem if you simply read these forums.

I question whether you ever played Diablo II. I played D2 for at least a year and only played D3 for 4 months - haven't gone back and probably never will. You say there are two types of people in the Diablo III community, and you may be right, but we do feel let down for a reason. In Diablo II, gear was not the only answer for how to improve your character. There were charms and runes which increased your character's strength. Gear also had skill point upgrades on them. Even if your gear wasn't spectacular, you could have charms, runes, or skill improvements to help give you that extra edge while still seeking out the BIS stuff (aka Oculus, Lidless Wall, etc.). In my opinion, Diablo III is a completely different approach. There are no runes, charms, or skill improvements. Everything about your character is determined by what kind of gear you are wearing. If you have shitty gear, you're not going to get very far. There is little to nothing that can be done to improve your character's strength outside of obtaining better gear.

If you think about it, Diablo III is pretty much a hack-and-slash version of World of Warcraft, only worse. You start off each game by selecting your class. Then, you being the leveling process. Once your max level, you start gearing up to reach the end-game content. In WOW, you can either raid or participate in PVP to obtain the best gear, however in Diablo III, there is no set path or loot tables. All you can do is hope you'll find something good and that you'll be able to use it or even sell it. There is no skill involved in finding good gear, it is all luck.

I enjoy when I can spend my time playing a game to relax. I played Borderlands 2 for a while and eventually got to a point where I completed all I wanted to. I could endlessly farm The Warrior for the best gear if I desired, but I was content. My friend who introduced me to the game continued playing for some time after I was done. Both my friend and I played D2 together for quite some time and were both looking forward to D3. He may have only played D3 for 2-3 months. If I had to choose, I would start playing Borderlands 2 again over Diablo III in a heartbeat as I felt rewarded for my efforts much more frequently than I ever did with the latter. So who's to blame for this discrepancy of commitment? The developers or the players? I think you know where I stand.

P.S. - Whimsyshire is complete shit compared to the cow level of Diablo II. I would much rather be running around a field being chased by hoards of cows with pitch forks than running around looking at rainbows, cupcakes, and searching for the next trash pack every 20 feet only to end up finding only 4 or 5 elite packs. People used to form huge parties just to farm the cow level. Now, speed farmers don't even go there, let alone players looking for gear as it is possibly one of the most inefficient ways to farm. Whimsyshire is a travesty compared to the cow level.
    Quote from CadetFord2345

Quote from Syronicus

I question whether you ever played Diablo II. I played D2 for at least a year and only played D3 for 4 months - haven't gone back and probably never will. You say there are two types of people in the Diablo III community, and you may be right, but we do feel let down for a reason. In Diablo II, gear was not the only answer for how to improve your character. There were charms and runes which increased your character's strength. Gear also had skill point upgrades on them. Even if your gear wasn't spectacular, you could have charms, runes, or skill improvements to help give you that extra edge while still seeking out the BIS stuff (aka Oculus, Lidless Wall, etc.). In my opinion, Diablo III is a completely different approach. There are no runes, charms, or skill improvements. Everything about your character is determined by what kind of gear you are wearing. If you have shitty gear, you're not going to get very far. There is little to nothing that can be done to improve your character's strength outside of obtaining better gear.

If you think about it, Diablo III is pretty much a hack-and-slash version of World of Warcraft, only worse. You start off each game by selecting your class. Then, you being the leveling process. Once your max level, you start gearing up to reach the end-game content. In WOW, you can either raid or participate in PVP to obtain the best gear, however in Diablo III, there is no set path or loot tables. All you can do is hope you'll find something good and that you'll be able to use it or even sell it. There is no skill involved in finding good gear, it is all luck.

I enjoy when I can spend my time playing a game to relax. I played Borderlands 2 for a while and eventually got to a point where I completed all I wanted to. I could endlessly farm The Warrior for the best gear if I desired, but I was content. My friend who introduced me to the game continued playing for some time after I was done. Both my friend and I played D2 together for quite some time and were both looking forward to D3. He may have only played D3 for 2-3 months. If I had to choose, I would start playing Borderlands 2 again over Diablo III in a heartbeat as I felt rewarded for my efforts much more frequently than I ever did with the latter. So who's to blame for this discrepancy of commitment? The developers or the players? I think you know where I stand.

P.S. - Whimsyshire is complete shit compared to the cow level of Diablo II. I would much rather be running around a field being chased by hoards of cows with pitch forks than running around looking at rainbows, cupcakes, and searching for the next trash pack every 20 feet only to end up finding only 4 or 5 elite packs. People used to form huge parties just to farm the cow level. Now, speed farmers don't even go there, let alone players looking for gear as it is possibly one of the most inefficient ways to farm. Whimsyshire is a travesty compared to the cow level.

I'm sorry but, charms and runes in Diablo II were gear.
    Quote from CadetFord2345

In Diablo II, gear was not the only answer for how to improve your character. There were charms and runes which increased your character's strength.

Charms were terrible because they gimped your inventory space. It was a deliberate design decision to get rid of charms and it was indeed a good one. Besides, it was just another slot you had to max your +skill level stat on. And by the way, like Indimix said, it's all just gear and it's all just loot.

Quote from CadetFord2345
    In my opinion, Diablo III is a completely different approach. There are no runes, charms, or skill improvements. Everything about your character is determined by what kind of gear you are wearing.

That was even more the case in D2. Gear was everything. People build their whole character around a piece of gear, not the other way around.

Quote from CadetFord2345

Diablo 1 and 2 were never about skill. Well, besides a few selected elitist people who liked to talk about skill. Diablo is not just a hack-and-slash game. Diablo DEFINED the hack-and-slash genre. The entire game is just about killing monsters and get lucky on finding good loot. It's really amazing how people act as if you would find an awesome item every 5 minutes in Diablo 2. In 12 years of D2 I never got a high rune, so I have the patience to wait for an awesome item to drop for me, even if it takes another 12 years. The longer the journey, the better the feeling of achievement in the end.

Quote from CadetFord2345

Of course it is. There were blue posts about this: Blizzard doesn't want people to run the cow level. The cow level was an inside joke from Diablo 1, 90% of the people don't even know the history behind the cow level anymore. Still people ignored the game which is called "Diablo" and played some cow level crap. Whimsyshire is a perfect persiflage telling players to GTFO and play the actual game.
    Quote from Syronicus

Quote from Jaetch

Agree with you on the whole "entitlement" part 100%

Queen - I Want it All

as awesome of a song as it is is it describes the entitlement crowed perfectly ^^ well they dont have no game plan but still just funny that you talking about "entitlement culture" got me thinking of that song.
    Please stop embedding songs as some kind of statement. It seems highly-tangential and argumentative. It was annoying when Indimix did it. It's annoying here too. It doesn't matter what "side" of the argument you're on... it's just annoying. Perhaps just put in a link to the lyrics or something, I don't know.

More on-topic...

There are plenty of examples on this forum of people who have basically admitted they got too hyped up and too emotionally-vested in a game. The guy who started the "D3 is designed for consoles" thread basically admitted to what most would consider a very unhealthy level of "fandom" which clearly played a large role in his ultimate letdown in the game.

It may not necessarily be entitlement culture, but there are definitely undercurrents on these forums that it's Blizzards #1 job to please each of us on an individual basis. So perhaps that's not entitlement but more a ridiculous, grandiose, and irrational sense of self-importance.
    67.1k elite kills :: 1.98m total kills :: p255
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Quote from shaggy

Please stop embedding songs as some kind of statement. It seems highly-tangential and argumentative. It was annoying when Indimix did it. It's annoying here too. It doesn't matter what "side" of the argument you're on... it's just annoying. Perhaps just put in a link to the lyrics or something, I don't know.

I am trying to edit to make it a link if I put the youtube link it seems to automatically embed itself -.-
    Fixed it for you. That's how you can generally link youtube videos without them trying to automatically make themselves an embedded video. :)
    This may seem weird answering the original poster at this point, but most recent Blizzard posts show a good overall awareness of how D3 has been received. They talk about design goals and intentions a lot now, and about how it is "up for debate" about whether they have succeeded in reaching those goals. The good news is, despite huge forum negativity, that updates keep coming.
    Quote from overneathe

Fixed it for you. That's how you can generally link youtube videos without them trying to automatically make themselves an embedded video. :)

I've been trying that !!!
    How do you actually do it ?
    the [link] tag doesnt seem to work...

And shaggy, get your lazy ass online in PoE...and level your witch!!!
    Anyone found the secret Kiwi Level yet? :D
    Quote from Xenocow

Quote from overneathe

I've been trying that !!!
    How do you actually do it ?
    the [link] tag doesnt seem to work...

And shaggy, get your lazy ass online in PoE...and level your witch!!!
    Anyone found the secret Kiwi Level yet? :D

Oh, you just select some text and press the Link button on the post toolbar. Otherwise youtube wants to spread its wings all across the post. :)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes