Why The Auction House Ruined The Game For Me

What I've noticed about the AH (and RMAH to an extent) is that it has become too large of a portion of the meta-game. I will agree with the few posters that stated that the AH is a good way to get over a dps hump, be it for Inferno Diablo, or for MP10 "progression". Its reached the point where it seems that people are more concerned with finding that super amazing "OMGOMGOMGOMG" item just to see how much they can fetch in an auction rather than to improve their character, or an alt if the stats don't coincide with your character's. Another thing I've noticed, at least in my experience, is that bartering and open trade is completely and totally dead. I personally would rather negotiate a trade of items with another player, rather than set a price and decline every offer simply because "the AH has this at X price". It almost feels as though your bankroll is more important than your character's gear progression, which drastically takes away from the spirit of the game.

With that said, we also live in a world plagued by the idea of instant gratification. Why should someone farm endless hours, days, weeks, etc for that elusive piece (Anyone who played D2 knows, and I know people that are still trying to get that one piece 10 years later) when given enough coin, buy the item(s) on the AH, and have that item immediately? I personally use the AH sparingly, selling items relatively cheap (nothing over 2-3m or 2-3 USD in the case of RMAH), and very rarely purchasing items. IMHO, if they increased the probability of rolling stats on par with your character's primary stats (Intel for example) slightly, and gave a slightly better chance to roll favorable properties, that would reduce the reliance on the AH, and revert it back to what it was originally intended on being; something to fill the gap.
    Everyone knows the solution to the AH drama. Everyone knew it from day one (when it was announced).

They just tried without it because a "free trading system" was a big deal in D2 (specially when trading with friends) and because the "possible solution" (I'm not saying it would surely solve the issue, but it has a decent chance of doing so) would put another WoW-ish feature in D3.

Btw, Jaetch and CardinalMDM, great posts. I'm usually the asshole who comes to threads like these and tries to make people see the truth about D3 via huge walls of text, so it's great for a change seeing other people posting reasonable and open-minded comments about the subject instead :D
    Quote from TheDFO

I think the biggest thing against the AH is that people seem to think beating D3 Inferno=D2 Hell/lvl99. My understanding before release (and my goals in regards to leveling characters) was that it was more along the lings of Uber Tristram - Something for the super dedicated people (who put in the needed 200+ hours) to do.

If you look at it that way, then it works out WAY better, and my personal experience is drop upgrades are roughly on par with D2. The drops didn't change, it's just more people were trying the "end game," assuming that anyone was supposed to be able to beat it with not much effort. I guess Blizzard should have made that more clear.

Trying to get the "the AH raped my grandmother" crowd to understand that is like trying to teach Quantum Physics to Keanu Reeves. At the end of the day you'd be better off talking to a mirror.

Quote from Zero(pS)

Everyone knows the solution to the AH drama. Everyone knew it from day one (when it was announced).

They just tried without it because a "free trading system" was a big deal in D2 (specially when trading with friends) and because the "possible solution" (I'm not saying it would surely solve the issue, but it has a decent chance of doing so) would put another WoW-ish feature in D3.

If you're talking about what I think you are (BoP/BoA items) then I agree that it would solve one problem but create many others that people would bitch about. A hallmark of the Diablo franchise has been the fact that items are tradeable. For oh so many players this "self-found" thing is NOT a hallmark of the Diablo franchise, but a personal choice. Removing a staple of the franchise to appease some people who don't like the AH is a really bad move.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't be able to play "self-found" if they choose. What I am saying, however, is that the desire to play "self-found" is that of only a portion of the playerbase and should be treated as such. Too much in these discussions revolves around anyone who doesn't play "self-found" not being a true fan, or their opinion matters less, or that "self-found" is the mandatory way to play and the rest of us are just playing the game wrong.

The 1.0.7 BoA crafted items will absolutely make playing self-found more fruitful. So it's really annoying to keep discussing this when, clearly, Blizzard is making some concessions to that crowd to make their lives better.
    67.1k elite kills :: 1.98m total kills :: p255
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    I love the AH. Honestly I find so much garbage that just isn't useful for me or any of my six (yes 6) characters. The AH simply gives me an option other than the trash can for those items. It provides a safe, easy way for me to exchange some of my items that are good for other players into gold that I can use to get better items that are actually useful for myself. With 6 characters, I actually use a good chunk of the stuff I find and STILL end up with millions of gold worth of AH stuff.

Not talking specifically about the RMAH, but the AH singlehandedly has kept me in this game for hundreds and hundreds of hours. I just leveled my WD up to 60 this last weekend and spent an hour or so exploring different builds with the AH. There's no way I would ever have leveled up another character if I was faced with hours and hours of trading or trying to juggle mule characters and the stash to keep items that could potentially be useful for a character I may want to roll in the future.

Plus, I have sold exactly ONE item on the RMAH and it paid for my copy, my wife's copy, and a good start on my daughter's copy of this game. For a guy like me to buy three copies of a game to play as a family is unthinkable, so without an easy safe way to make that money, I'd still be playing solo. Just one guy's experience, i know, but ...

tldr; I simply couldn't imagine spending the hundreds of hours on this game without the AH.
    The game had so much going for it, and then, at some point, for no logical reason other than someone's greed the team chose to abandon the concept of bound set items/certain legendaries, and dug themselves into a hole with this 'everything random-one stat-everything sells' system that was nothing but a failure from day one.
    They cannot afford to miss out on the opportunity to fix this in the expansion and get the AH the hell away from being the focal point of D3 where it doesn't nor will ever belong. Deeper itemization, and lots of fun and quality loot/sets from level 1 up to end game, as it should have been all along.
    This is an ARPG, played mostly solo, and adding this kind of MMO elements to it is not the wisest choice to make.
    Before the game came out, I actually thought that the system will be way better than D2's occasional 'stack of bolts from hell Baal' and low level greens dropping at higher levels, but it may have actually been designed worse, in large part due to the auction house.
    "Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the small death that brings total obliteration."
    Quote from shaggy

If you're talking about what I think you are (BoP/BoA items) then I agree that it would solve one problem but create many others that people would bitch about. A hallmark of the Diablo franchise has been the fact that items are tradeable. For oh so many players this "self-found" thing is NOT a hallmark of the Diablo franchise, but a personal choice. Removing a staple of the franchise to appease some people who don't like the AH is a really bad move.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't be able to play "self-found" if they choose. What I am saying, however, is that the desire to play "self-found" is that of only a portion of the playerbase and should be treated as such. Too much in these discussions revolves around anyone who doesn't play "self-found" not being a true fan, or their opinion matters less, or that "self-found" is the mandatory way to play and the rest of us are just playing the game wrong.

Self found/trade with friends is very much so a staple of the series. The large, overwhelming majority of D1/D2 players never even touched bnet, let alone partake in the type of ridiculous mass-trading that goes on today. So, in fact, the traders are the very small minority.

Quote from Bagstone
    something that was also possible in D2, but the burden for making such an exchange was so high that 90% of the people probably never did it outside of their friends' circle.

That's exactly why it worked. There were some hurdles you had to jump over in order to trade, which meant that it was only worth doing it when dealing with top top items. Which meant that you were 'free' to find your own gear, without that voice in a corner of your mind saying "You could just hop on to the AH and spend all of 5 minutes to buy gear".
    In fact, this is exactly what you say next:

Quote from Bagstone

In order to "fix" this, the AH would need to be more difficult to access, just like the trading system in D2. I didn't use the AH the first few dozen hours, but at some point you just become so frustrated that you don't find anything useful and your gear sucks, and for almost no money you get an upgrade at the AH, so you take it. And since humans are quite susceptible to changes in their environment, your behavior also changes: you're not just looking for loot that improves your character, but also for loot that sells to buy yourself upgrades.

Here, I disagree:
    Quote from Bagstone

However: anyone who claims that the first issue (finding lots and lots of stupid, useless loot) was different in D2 is a liar.

Blizzard (I believe) has pretty much confirmed more than once that the existence of an AH was considered when designing the whole loot drop mechanics, so, yeah....'decent' loot dropped more often in D2. But the (good) thing in D2 was that it dropped less (but better) rares.
    Also, twinking new characters with low level sets and legendaries <3

Quote from Bagstone

Haven't played PoE yet, but isn't it still in beta? All the D3 endgame issues didn't become apparent in the beta, either. It's stuff that you come across after 200+ hours...

Come one....D3's beta was up to level 13.....you can hardly compare it with a beta that gives you access to every system in the game (PoE's).
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes