So I found a Manticore today.....

.....and I was wondering if it was a black weapon ?? I see it has poison damage on it but if I got a Cold Dmg Stone of Jordan, would it Slow ?

I have seen Poison weapons around that all have the bubbly green background with + 000 - 000 Poison Dmg but Manticore doesn't, It has a black background in game. Is this one of its legendary properties ? Poison acting as black or has this weapon trolled me ?
    No it is not a "black weapon" because it has the poison damage affix. The visual effects have nothing to do with the type of damage it does.

Also, as far as I know, a cold damage SoJ also works with elemental damage weapons. The only difference is that it does not boost the elemental damage part so a black weapon gets boosted more. But still a SoJ is not completely useless even if you don't have a black weapon.
    I want to buy a SoJ with cold dmg on so I can take Cull the Weak passive for 15% dmg bonus against slowed targets. You think this would work ?
    Quote from redcinder

I want to buy a SoJ with cold dmg on so I can take Cull the Weak passive for 15% dmg bonus against slowed targets. You think this would work ?

Yes, but I haven't tested this myself. As long as the skill does not specify an element, it will snare (slow) the enemies if you are using a cold damage SoJ. So for example Hungering Arrow with Devouring Arrow rune would slow because it doesn't specify any element. But Elemental Arrow with Ball Lightning rune wouldn't work because it says it does "155% weapon damage as lightning".

EDIT: Some people say that Sentry does not snare even if it doesn't specify any elements but maybe those kind of skills are an exception (you are not dealing the damage yourself)
    Ok last question. My friend is a tempest rush monk and he has a Cold Dmg SoJ with his Holy Dmg belt and a black weapon. Does he have a 50% chance his attacks deal Holy or Cold ? Or a 33% chance to be Physical, Cold or Holy ? OR are all his attacks all of these at once ?
    Obviously unless the specific ability states otherwise IE Deals Lightning Dmg.
    Quote from redcinder

Ok last question. My friend is a tempest rush monk and he has a Cold Dmg SoJ with his Holy Dmg belt and a black weapon. Does he have a 50% chance his attacks deal Holy or Cold ? Or a 33% chance to be Physical, Cold or Holy ? OR are all his attacks all of these at once ?

I guess you're referring to Inna's Favor. As the description says, the belt adds 7% or 8% (depending on what roll you got) of holy damage (considered that all your base DPS is black damage). If you have a non-black weapon, the added holy damage is something like 2%-4%, depending on how large the amount of elemental damage on a weapon is.

I'm not sure why you're asking. Is there a spell that needs your enemies to be struck by holy damage? I don't know of any such spell, but technically it's the case with every spell your monk friend casts, there is no "hit or miss", the added holy damage will be applied to every attack, even though it will only make up for a small part of the damage. Or are you asking because of PvP reasons? Then it's only the 7% or 8% added bonus damage that will be of the type "holy damage", the main DPS remains unaffected and will be purely physical.
    I was asking because of the SoJ mate and the cold dmg mixed with the holy.

Whilst hes tempest rushing is everything being hit with a chance of cold and hold dmg or is it guaranteed that the enemies will be stricken with cold and holy dmg.

I tumble after him multishotting and want to know if I can use Cull the Weak off of his SoJ so I don't need to buy my own.
    Quote from redcinder

I was asking because of the SoJ mate and the cold dmg mixed with the holy.

Whilst hes tempest rushing is everything being hit with a chance of cold and hold dmg or is it guaranteed that the enemies will be stricken with cold and holy dmg.

I tumble after him multishotting and want to know if I can use Cull the Weak off of his SoJ so I don't need to buy my own.

All attacks will include every bonus damage type you have. So he will do physical, holy and cold damage with every attack UNLESS the skill he uses converts the damage to a new element (like the Ball Lightning example I gave earlier). Then all the damage will be of the element that the skill specifies.
    For example, if his attack with a black weapon normally did 100 damage, he would instead do 100 physical, 6 cold and 8 holy damage for a total of 114 which includes a bit of cold and thus also adds the freeze effect.

Even if he was using an elemental type weapon, the small base damage of the weapon would still get a cold and holy damage bonus and the freeze would still be there.
    Cheers for the clarification lads :) Ill buy one then just so I can use it for soloing too. Can use a better ring with him.
    pretty sure its only ONE effect, not cold and holy damage at the same time, its only the highest %

atleast i read it somewhere here on the forums

3)...your Add % to [Element] Damage comes into play. This stat can come on your weapon and any other slot of gear. If you have Add % to Cold damage, grats your Physical attacks are now Cold attacks. If you have multiple Add % to [element] damage with different elements the highest % wins [which for Tempest Rush monks is Holy usually due to Inna's Favor].
    http://www.diablofans.com/topic/79059-tempest-rushing-the-right-way/

scroll down
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes