No AH Mode?

Hi all,

I have not played the game in a while (actually since the second week of release or so) but am looking forward to picking it up again. My biggest disappointment was the lack of a mode WITHOUT the AH.

I would like to play Hardcore + No AH, has this been implemented by now? Or are there any plans to do so?

I know I can simply not use the AH (I have never used it) but I would like to play with people whom are not using it too.

Thanks,

- Aeth
    There is no such mode. Many people play without the AH, just team up with them. However, what's the difference if one of your friends uses the AH and you don't? Even though I haven't used the AH in quite a while when I played for the last time, my friends were pretty active on the AH; but it didn't make a difference to me and my gameplay. To each his own. We would still trade our self-found items, and while I stashed/salvaged most of my legendaries, they would try to sell it for a couple of hundred thousand gold.

I understand your point, and a non-AH server might sound like a good idea, but in the end it's not; as long as trading in general is possible, there will always be trading. The AH just makes it simpler and accessible to a much broader audience. Trading in D2 was only for a selected few, because it was quite cumbersome; but even though there was no AH, trading and an economy existed.
    You can play without the AH, but it will take a hell of a long time to colllect some decent armor for your char.
    You mean Self-found? Yeah it isnt really implemented but go around on different sites you will easily find some people doing it... When I loose my DH im finally going to do self found monk ^^
    Personally i don't get why people dislike AH

AH has just made things easier for us(the players). Back when diablo2 was the game to play, you either had to spend several days/weeks, making open games or posting on different forums, you had an item...
    Now you just post it on ah, and voila, item posted. Often when finding a very nice item in d2. You had to go to non-blizz forums and sell/trade your stuff. When you got to that homepage, you had to convert the price of the item into forum currency, and then sell it, find another one who posted the item you want and then negotiate a forum currency price. It was hell! AH simplified that, and much <3 for that.

Now, since there's no ladder system, items on soft core is worth less every day, since no items disappear on SC. It's not only the items that loose value, that also goes for the gold. That problem doesn't occur as much on HC, since every time someone dies, items are dying with them, plus there is no RMAH to screw with the economy.

I guess someone's going to argue that RMAH screwed the sc part of d3. But i wouldn't say it did, simply cause in d2, you could go to many many different sites and buy your gear there for real money. The owners of gear shop sites were not blizz employees (hopefully), they were likely to be some one who had his basement full of computers and had bots running on all of them, and you had no guarantee that you would ever get the gear you payed for and/or get your money back if it was even legit. This was a major issue that blizzard wanted to address. So they did, by making their own option to buy gear by spending real money, if you wanted.
    And personally i would rather see my money go to Blizzard, than some person chineese basement bot farmer- what ever you wanna call it. My guess is that this also pays the further development and maintenance of the game since there's no monthly suscription.

So to OP, hate the AH as much as you want, but i'd look at AH as a big trading channel, especially if you want to play HC mode, where there is less AH manipulation (or so i've heard).

Regards DreamWalker
    Regards DreamWalker

Donnie: Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit?
    Frank: Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    A no AH realm would be really nice imo. Items will be valued so differently and people will use the trade chat more often. Too bad that the limit of 4 people per game is kinda bad for face to face trade games. Plus the fact that you can't create a custom game with a custom name.
    Quote from Jamoose

A no AH realm would be really nice imo. Items will be valued so differently and people will use the trade chat more often. Too bad that the limit of 4 people per game is kinda bad for face to face trade games. Plus the fact that you can't create a custom game with a custom name.

So you want trade chat to be spammed even more ? why ? there are so many people who only use trade chat for flaming and trolling each other.

Why would you want to do face to face trades ? Last i've heard, people complaining about getting scammed by an "issue" with the buyer pushing trade before the seller has confirmed the trade. Let me explain that a bit better :) The buyer of (lets say) 100 gems chooses to buy it face to face. Now he opens the trade window and puts up the 100k the seller wanted, seeing the seller has already put up the gems he gladly pushes trade(confirm) only to see he only has 1 new gem in the inventory. This happened cause he pushed confim/trade too soon. The seller was able to change the stack from 100 to 1 without the buyer being able to see the number change on the stacks. Dunno if this is an ongoing issue, but i haven't read anything about a change. This is one of the reasons why people dont trade face to face.

Why would you want to be able to make the game name yourself ?
    I remember in diablo 2 when trying to find a game to lvl in, ex. trist-runs/tomb-runs/cow-runs/baal-runs. You could sit for several minutes lookin for a game you wanted to join, and when you finally find a game, highlight the game to copy the game name so you can join the next game faster. In the meantime while copy and pasting, the game got full and you can sit for another couple of minutes and look for another. While games like FREEEEEEEEEEEEE or boost meeeee or whatever silly crappy game comes up on your list. WTF! was a nightmare.

All theese options you miss from diablo 2, was a part of the experience back then, its a new game in the series. It's Diablo3 ! new game --> new options, and imo, waaaayyyy better.
    Regards DreamWalker

Donnie: Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit?
    Frank: Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Yeah screw "no AH." If you want that kind of thing, it should instead be no trading period. Make it just on what you find with your account.
    Would you disable trades as well? Because it's the same thing. This mindset of wanting to control how other people play bugs the shit out of me.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChB2_IPc-HVXbi0jS1Riljg
    ^ YouTube.Com/IceBleuGaming ! It's a thing! Check it oooout!
    so if you find a nice mempo with 6% crit but the wrong stat, what do you do? you don't sell it?
    You can do this self-enforced already. I have a set of characters that I handle this way - the highest is currently level 60 and just started Act IV of Hell. I have run 1-60 on MP10 using just self-found or self-crafted gear -- and could only craft gear or use gems that this character found the mats for (i.e. salvaged from drops he picked up or combined gems that he picked up). So, it's definitely possible even on highest MP though I know I'll have to jump down to 0 or 1 when I hit Inferno. I find this an enjoyable change from instant-gratification AH shopping. Given you can't just steamroll content on self-found gear - especially MP10 -- it's actually made the game a great deal of fun, caused me to get creative on builds, etc.

Although you can do this self-enforced as I have, I do agree it would be nice if there were a mode (like Hardcore) that had separate gold, separate JC/BS, and no trade (other than through your shared stash of other characters in this mode). Even better if they adjusted the drop % in this mode to account for the no-trade, no AH. Btw, this isn't "controlling how other people play" -- this is creating another option that people could choose if they so desired (or not choose if they didn't) . . . and that there clearly is some demand for from the number of people I see doing no AH on forums.
    Quote from Emberos

Btw, this isn't "controlling how other people play" -- this is creating another option that people could choose . . . and that their clearly is some demand for from the number of people I see doing no AH on forums.

This is what he wrote:

"I know I can simply not use the AH (I have never used it) but I would like to play with people whom are not using it too."

That's what Bleu42 correctly complained about. Like I said, I also stopped using the AH when I played for the last time, but why should I force my friends to do the same? This game is about the personal progress of your character, and not about having the best gear compared to other people. And everyone can decide how they gear their character up (self-found, trading with friends, using the AH, using the RMAH, ...)
    Yes, and in this scenario, like Hardcore, people could choose whether or not they play that mode. You don't like Hardcore, you choose to stay on Normal rules and don't check the box. Maybe you have friends that do like Hardcore -- if they choose that mode and you don't, you can't play with each other on those particular characters. You could use one of your other 9 slots to create characters you do play together with. The same with this proposed no AH mode. Don't see how it's any different and it doesn't force anyone to do anything other than make a choice.

Honestly, the concept of leagues or different gameset rules is something I think would help increase longevity of the game. Granted, they probably need to work on just getting Normal mode right but it's not a bad future feature to want. Actually, if they figure out the nuts and bolts of allowing separate characters to live in different rulesets (and they already have this done really in the fact that they have hardcore), they could also have a checkbox for Ladder style reset mode for characters as well (another popular request). If anything, this increases choice rather than restricts choice.
    Playing self found only is a nice idea and some people do it, but you would never be able to compete in any way with anyone. That's the problem. In the big scheme of things and this game is a big scheme of things, that'll only be something you do for yourself. Good for you if you can avoid the AH or trading but that's all you'll have. Blizz needs to prove they're not all about the RMAH and set up a non trading mode.
    Quote from rebjorn

but you would never be able to compete in any way with anyone

This game is not about competition - the only competition is the one you make up yourself. If you wanna be the best in any game by any measure, you'll always need to invest a lot of time and/or money.

If you simply want to enjoy the game, self-found is a very good way to do so, because in contrast to using the AH excessively, you'll find a decent update every now and then.
    Quote from Bagstone

There is no such mode. Many people play without the AH, just team up with them. However, what's the difference if one of your friends uses the AH and you don't? Even though I haven't used the AH in quite a while when I played for the last time, my friends were pretty active on the AH; but it didn't make a difference to me and my gameplay. To each his own. We would still trade our self-found items, and while I stashed/salvaged most of my legendaries, they would try to sell it for a couple of hundred thousand gold.

I understand your point, and a non-AH server might sound like a good idea, but in the end it's not; as long as trading in general is possible, there will always be trading. The AH just makes it simpler and accessible to a much broader audience. Trading in D2 was only for a selected few, because it was quite cumbersome; but even though there was no AH, trading and an economy existed.

After a while being active in this forum, and after countless threads and posts about this subject, you still don't get it.

Quote from Emberos
    Even better if they adjusted the drop % in this mode to account for the no-trade, no AH

Finally, someone that actually understands the core issue.
    We can self-enforce all we want, but we still get the same shitty drop-rates as if we used the AH.
    Quote from maka

After a while being active in this forum, and after countless threads and posts about this subject, you still don't get it.

I was assuming he was talking about a trading-enabled realm without AH, which is an idea I don't like. I didn't see this thread that was creating during my vacation; this is an idea that could work, though.

Also, I have to say that I have a personal bias because a non-trading server would mean that either me or my friends would have to change their attitude (or we can't play together anymore), assuming you would have different servers (like for HC/SC).
    Quote from Bagstone

Quote from maka

I was assuming he was talking about a trading-enabled realm without AH, which is an idea I don't like. I didn't see this thread that was creating during my vacation; this is an idea that could work, though.

Also, I have to say that I have a personal bias because a non-trading server would mean that either me or my friends would have to change their attitude (or we can't play together anymore), assuming you would have different servers (like for HC/SC).

What? What's the difference between that thread and this thread? Just the person-to-person trading? I don't understand why that makes so much of a difference to you, but I'd be fine with either option. As long as they raise those god-forsaken drop rates to account for the fact that I'm not mass trading in the AH.
    Quote from aethsilgne

Hi all,

I have not played the game in a while (actually since the second week of release or so) but am looking forward to picking it up again. My biggest disappointment was the lack of a mode WITHOUT the AH.

I would like to play Hardcore + No AH, has this been implemented by now? Or are there any plans to do so?

I know I can simply not use the AH (I have never used it) but I would like to play with people whom are not using it too.

Thanks,

- Aeth

In another life,in another universe...
    This place is being followed by Blizzzard - really. Don't forget that when you post.

diablofans.com was diablo3.com for years.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes