jay wilson quit diablo 3

It really doesn't matter who will lead the team and D3 project. What matters is the fact that this game is really really far from the point where it would make people happy. Only reason I didn't delete it or throw it away yet is that wish and high hopes to see Diablo ubber fun again. So cross fingers and hope for the best.
    Quote from shaggy

Quote from yoshiboi

Why does a game have to be EZ mode for a 5year old boy for it to be fun? This is the year 2013....what happened to humans evolving?!?! It's kinda sad that this is the direction we are headed.

If that's what you got from my post then you didn't read my post at all.

Try again.

Obviously the allocation of stats has to come from somewhere.....the difference is that in D2 the 4-5 affixs on an item could vary depending how you allocated your +skill stats. In D3, we basically figure out what are the best 4-5 affixs for each main class then stack them. yes it can vary a bit as well using the rune system in place, but like you mentioned its not efficient so it fails. Don't get me wrong, if we remove the factor of efficient farming, then D3 opens up a lot of cool builds. We can almost say it's easier to manage then it was in D2 and also better. These builds just don't do enough dmg though. Poor itemization plays a role here. They have been trying to fix the current runes in place for each class. A step in the right direction.

I agree that smooth and simple mechanics is overall a better approach. I just find that some things in D3 are lacking in depth. Not to a point where it becomes complicated and boring. Blizzard is aware that their game is lacking, in many areas. Like you mentioned, the social aspect is terrible. Poor chat UI, limited multyplayer control and more, poor rune system, itemization, randomized maps, mob density, the entire Monk class (Blizzard stated that they will be reviewing the class as a whole).

I hope they do improve D3. I might come back :kiss:
    I guess you could say, Jay Wilson walked the "Path of Exile"? :hehe:
    Quote from FuriousBalls

It really doesn't matter who will lead the team and D3 project. What matters is the fact that this game is really really far from the point where it would make people happy. Only reason I didn't delete it or throw it away yet is that wish and high hopes to see Diablo ubber fun again. So cross fingers and hope for the best.

I don't even know what would make me return to D3 again. Maybe if the implement ladders, remove RMAH, and add PvP arenas with many different modes then i would prolly come back, otherwise it's just nothing exciting anymore.
    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
    Quote from Kblavkalash

Quote from FuriousBalls

I don't even know what would make me return to D3 again. Maybe if the implement ladders, remove RMAH, and add PvP arenas with many different modes then i would prolly come back, otherwise it's just nothing exciting anymore.

The RMAH is optional; many people completely refuse to use it (including me). You're free to do the same. However, even if they remove the RMAH, real money can always buy you stuff in Diablo, as it was already the case in D2; it's just illegal, and therefore again optional.

The other two things you mention (ladder and PvP) can be summarized as e-sports elements; and since Blizzard officially announced that they have no desire to turn D3 into any kind of e-sports game in the foreseeable future, I think it's safe to tell you to move on. Sorry, but this ain't the game you're looking for and probably won't become in the near future.
    Quote from ruksak

Quote from Polrayne

I do not think that the issues with itemization, the RMAH, poor legendary items at release are totally his fault. These things were designed with a clear path of intent - profit. And profit means Corporate. That came from the Powers That Be and it was his job to implement them in the most engaging and fun way possible.

Is it possible for you to qualify this remark? As in, why would items need be designed the way they are for profit? Didn't the vast illicit item market for D2 show that style of itemization sold rather well?

Show me the correlation between D3's itemization and the RMAH model and how the two were made for each other?

Again, the RMAH offends some people in a way that brings cause for them to blame the RMAH for poor itemization.

Ruksak, I'd be happy to have a dialogue with you. I enjoy having an intelligent back and forth, that is not full of insults and attempts at flaming. And tell me your ideas - maybe I'm looking at this whole thing in the wrong light.

I'm going to give you the short version of my long windedness right here:
    1. DPS and Progression are solely dependant on your gear.

2. Gear rolls random affixes, sometimes all of them being random and many times nothing close to the basic stats needed for progression: main stat/vitality/survivability.

3. The range of the affixes and non-class specific affixes on class specific gear blatantly reveal that the item system is so random that good, basic gear is very, very rare - thus in demand and profitable on the built in system of sale that Blizz get's a cut.
    Now you can stop there and argue with me - or if you'd do me the justice and read on. I have links, witty comments and a whole mess of fun to quantify my remarks.

There are some key factors (that are quite revealing) to the breakdown of itemization being designed around a profit/RMAH system.

They are:

1.) Overall DPS is based on your weapon damage and main stat, not skill points.
    2.) The affixes that roll on items - and the possibilities.
    3.) The range an affix can roll and whether or not you can use it.

So to address number one...

IMO - the Developers wanted to a make a new game, worthy of the name Diablo, but with their take on it. Blizzard Corp wanted to make a new digital online store model to step their very first game into the rising market of free to play - buy what you want. Oh and it also provided a legal, safe way to do what people would do anyway. Clearly Diablo 2 needed something like that. I was personally very happy that they put the RMAH/AH in the game - gives me an incentive to farm not just for my character and friends, but for my wallet - potentially.

Then they told you how the items and skills would work together.

In Diablo 2 you could be "naked" and walk outside of town and one shot mobs. Because your spells did a great amount of damage, all on their own - with no help from the gear. The gear in Diablo 2, accentuated your DPS - not provided it. The gear's main focus was to add survivability and customization of your abilities (Enigma, vitality, resistance, etc). Would you want to go kill a boss without any gear - not really, but you could. In Diablo 3, you can't. You need your weapon and main stat on gear to do anything. So items are important for DPS and Progression.

On to number two...

There is a fantastic post on the Diablo 3 forums that very expertly discusses the issue of affixes and how they are clearly designed to make finding a good item, so rare that its not a normal occurance for players on a regular basis. The link is http://us.battle.net...opic/7593581822 .

Its long - but the key to it is to read the fourth paragraph. And then read the long list of affixes a little later.

if you can agree with my first point - that your dps is dependant on your gear, than you can understand that affixes on items are a key element to your dps and progress. The amount of affixes that exist for an item to draw from in the roll is ridiculous. Items are designed with such a wide range of possible affixes - and the affix pool is so large, that you have to (as the OP says) "hit the lottery" just to get the basic needs for your charcater: main stat, vitality and survivability. Of course the other desired affixes like Crit and Crit Damage are an absolute if you want to get to the place that you see the rest of the community. So you have to narrow your success rate even further to get main stat, vitality, survivability and CC/CCD. Read the thread that I linked and it pretty much gives you unrefuteable evidence as to why the itemization was designed to be so rare.

Done with number two. On to three...

Lets look at some items:

http://us.battle.net...al-rashas-brace You can click the link to verify if you wish. The belt can roll a main stat of intelligence that is between 90 to 100 intelligence. That's not bad. You find one with just 90 on it, well you're okay. You won't turn away from an extra 10 main stat either. The belt (Set belt mind you) also rolls 3 out of the 6 - which is HALF of its effect for your dps - on RANDOM affixes. From a pool of affixes that is a joke. The capital letters are not me yelling - just pointing out key words to really focus in on. Like HALF and RANDOM. :)

http://us.battle.net...entless-pursuit So the Set Chest. Possible roll of 120 to 200 intelligence - main stat - depserately needed to progress. Why so large of a range? You get one that rolls 120, you are dissappointed, because 80 more main stat points can make a huge difference. To the point that you don't even care to keep it, over the rare item you found that has higher main stat, vitality, etc. So the effect of this item being a LEGENDARY SET ITEM is wasted. Oh and the next affix of 30-100 vitality. Why so large of a range? Its a LEGENDARY SET ITEM - shouldn't it be like 70 to 100? So if it rolls on the lower side of 70, its still pretty cool and you are happy with it. If it rolls 30...well you might just want to sell it to someone else and get gold to buy a new one. Or use your real money to buy a new one. Oh and this one only rolls 2 random affixes, not three like the other item. So that's cool I guess. They could be truly useful thing...I guess.

These are the stats from the D2 Tal Rashas chest piece:
    Defense: 833-941
    Required Strength: 84
    Required Level: 71
    Durability: 55
    -60% to Requirements
    Magic damage reduced by 15
    +40% Cold Resist
    +40% Lightning Resist
    +40% Fire Resist
    +400 to Defense
    88% better chance of getting Magic items

The only range you see is for defense, which is a small range. No random rolling of prefixs. All class specific stuff. So if you got one - you were probably happy with it, no matter the roll and moved on. Get one from D3 and I bet you are dissatisfied with it. So you can keep farming, or buy it.

Then there are the class specific items like: http://us.battle.net...and-ghost-sight that its entire existance is RANDOM. So ask yourself how many times you've found a class specific item that rolls none of your main stat? Or special class abilities of another class? They fixed some of that recently. But that's not the important thing - and this is not me being negative - this is fact; they DESIGNED it that way from the start.

Gear is designed to be your only life line to DPS and PROGRESSION and as demonstrated, basic good items are so random that they are very rare. And thus become highly in demand. And you have a perfect place to go get them if you don't want to test your patience.

So here is the kicker: you don't have to use the RMAH/AH. You can farm, farm, farm and eventually find things to go forward in the game. They know that. That's the only thing that gives D3 any legitimacy. But. There is a great place to buy your way forward. And so many, after farming and farming and farming - will give in and buy something. Because of a lot reasons I guess - the main reason I imagine is that "if I buy this new item, than I can farm better and get something to sell and make back my money!".

What if you got decent gear just by farming. But the best of the best was sold on the RMAH/AH. Well if you bought it - good for you. Otherwise, be happy with your roll of 90 int on your belt. But a lot less would be sold, under that system, because only the best of the best was out there.

Ah. But what if you couldn't find decent gear (most of the time) by farming. And the mediocre to best was convientently displayed for you to buy. Well...that would be an interesting game model wouldn't it?

And just to point out - I think its totally fair and understandable for the average player to want to have the best as soon as possible. They watch YouTube vids all day from people trying to get subscriptions by giving advice on how to become the best all the time. The argument that "players need to be patient and just deal with the long farming process - what do they expect, to be godly after a month!".

Yes. Yes they do. And the game supports that - with the RMAH.

One note about your comment on the D2 Item market - yes, that item market was a huge selling opportunity. Most of the time items sold in groups or packages with smaller items being sold for virtually nothing. And of course this was done illegally and most of the time from stores that got their wares from botting.

I've never bought anything from the RMAH. Never sold anything either. And I'm not a purist that wouldn't consider selling something there. I sure as hell will not buy anything from there. I have been fortunate enough to find two Legendary items that are appropriate for my class and what I would consider very nice upgrades. I've also found a few that have sold (for gold) for quite a bit - because they are so, so rare. That gold helped me get more of the gear that I have now.

And then I go back to farming. Where 99% of what I find is crap, because I just need that one winning ticket.

These are my opinions that have been verified by some close friends and family that actually works in the higher echelons of a popular game company. That's not me saying that I'm absolutely right. But I feel confident in saying that I'm not absolutely wrong. Thoughts?

edit: because typing sucks
    Yah, not sure why anyone would try to argue that the loot system wasn't designed with the RMAH in mind. You could make the argument I suppose that it wasnt for the RMAH, but for the AH....but anyone with a little background in game design, or even playing other games.....knows they could have added item sinks so the AH wasn't the only viable way to upgrade gear.

It is just common sense, it's a business model, it exists to make money. Granted it helps with the problem of having illegitimate gold sales, but everyone including Blizzard knew it wouldnt stop it. I mean, if that was really the only goal, why build a system that so heavily relies on gold to progress your character?

The answer is obvious. I'm not saying they are blinded by money, or had bad intentions. I definately think they had great intentions, and still do. But saying they designed the loot with no thought of the RMAH is just naive.
    I don't think most of their itemization was designed with RMAH in mind.

That is however not a compliment. At least if they had designed it with RMAH in mind there would have been a purpose behind the design.

Instead it just seems like bad design decisions all over the place. Which is kinda worse.
    Well, IMO, there are 2 options:

- They designed the itemization of the game with a heavy influence (or main goal) of the RMAH..

- They really don't have a clue about what is fun to a ARPG gamer.

Coming from Blizzard, I don't think the option 2 is a valid one. Even if they are kind of incompenents in some areas.
    Hope we'll get some fresh ideas from the new director.
    Quote from Indimix

- They designed the itemization of the game with a heavy influence (or main goal) of the RMAH..

Coming from Blizzard, I don't think the option 2 is a valid one. Even if they are kind of incompenents in some areas.

So why the fuck aren't they resetting the ladder every 2 months so they can get even more sales from the RMAH?? Fml, why are people so immune to intelligence on this forum???
    Sexton your post explains perfectly why D3 is flawed.

There is a little I’d like to add as well.

Character has no power.
    Skills have no power.
    Gear has all the power.
    Gear is too damn random.
    Legendary items are too damn random.
    Infinite Scaling

The first step is to fix from the bottom up IMO.

1) Infinite scaling is a huge problem with D3, all stats continue to add to your power infinitely except for a very limited number (block %, run speed, etc.). What the game needs to make itemization interesting is some caps, and I don’t mean Soft Caps. Hard cap things like Critical Chance, Critical Damge, IAS, Dodge, etc. That way people can gear towards specific caps then look for other gear to start filling in a hole they have elsewhere. This does 2 things. It helps create more affixes that people want, as once a person caps X, Y, Z they start looking for thorns, or regen life, or pickup radius, or etc. etc. thus creating a better field of items that people want. Second, it would open up lower level legendary items to be used at max level for flavor (Procs, specific stats).
    Edit - Revising this, super soft caps like 50% crit chance is soft cap, and has exponential reductions from there until you can feasibly get around 60% if all gear had crit is not a bad system. It forces a player to really think...is that 1% crit I get over 50% worth more than X of something else?
    Edit 2 - This is why WoW1.0 did away with +Crit%, etc. as they knew it would lead to infinite power, and instead went to a Rating system that scaled with player level. Diablo 3 cannot have "rating" but soft caps do in fact reduce % above a threshhold, giving the player a decision to make once they reach a plateau. Even multiple plateaus wouldn't be bad (35% crit = 1:1, reduces at X rate to 45% crit, reduces more to 55% crit, etc.)

2) Legendaries should have maybe 1 random, I'd prefer no random prefixes except the Primary Stat (any legendary that is not class specific can get any primary stat assuming it can be used by a class that uses that primar stat, no more str on wands).
    Thus creating a stable market for items that have a specific property makeup (stabilizing the economy somewhat).
    Also, these legendary items should be slightly weaker than if they rolled on a Rare (ie 15% less). So no more 300 primary stat rolls, but at most around 200-250 random roll; whereas the rare could get 300. Thus allowing rares to be the "best" if rolled ridiculously well, and legendaries to be "good-great."

3) Rares should get the 3 prefix, 3 suffix generation, thus having opportunity costs and giving the gear a little bit more specificity than it is now. Also, it makes getting that “great” rare a little easier when the legendary items are out there. One thing that should happen is legendaries should “break” the 3/3 mold, and can have mixed affixes and affixes they could not normally get on that piece of gear. This is where legendary items are right now, and it is a good thing for diversity and opportunity cost (should I take the legendary item with +crit on shoulder, or grab this rare with 50 more primary stat and better overall stats?)

4) Gear should be an avenue to help shore up a weakness, give an advantage, or power up a specific area of your character. It should not be the sole power source of your character. Thus, a major hurdle has to be overcome. I’ll use an example from D2.
    D2 had essentially 2 kinds of characters:
    +Skills based
    Weapon based
    This small difference between D2 and D3 (where D3 has one kind of character, Gear based) is what helped keep the fun, diversity and interesting builds alive. Each item you got could be used by essentially any character; and it created a wealth of options; not all being amazing, but almost all of them able to do something unique and interesting.
    Weapon based builds relied on weapon damage, attack speed, and other mods to increase their damage while their skills provided initial power the weapons themselves really started to give them the damage they needed.
    Skills based builds relied little on weapons, but more on pumping +skills mods to give their spells more innate power.
    Critics argue that, well +skills is just gear giving you power; and as such isn’t different than weapon based builds.
    I would say that if D3 did it right, made skills have innate power that having a build that relied on large +weapon damage vs a build that relied on +primary stat would be really interesting and could provide the game with much needed diversity and interesting choices.
    I would like to edit here quickly, in order to facilitate these kinds of builds, weapons would provide huge bonuses but likely the weapon builds would get minimal gains from "stats" builds. Thus Str no longer provides 2000% damage, but like 200% damage whereas the weapon provides a much larger portion of the damage. This creates the two style system, as then a stats build could go for a lower DPS weapon that has lots of +stats and other flavour, while the weapon build goes for +DPS and other flavour.

5) Skills need inherent power to them, almost all other RPGs do this and it works because people playing a character in an RPG aren’t some random person in the world, they are a hero. Heros are more powerful than the regular person and as such need to be able to feel it. As a hero levels their abilities should feel more powerful, diverse, and tide them over when all else fails (ie gear). Without having inherent power per level it takes away the “heroic” feeling that players get from playing a game. Along these lines is where “leveling” of skills comes into play. Sure everyone can be a jack of all trades, but that kills the diversity of RPGs. Many new games are falling into this category which is a real tragedy. People want to feel unique, fun, powerful in their own way. Thus having 1 skill + runes doesn’t do enough, someone wants to be a Hydra Wizard, or a Wave of Light Monk, there should be a way, without gear, for them to do so. That creates interesting builds, longevity in the game and fosters a community that seeks out new ways to make otherwise “bad” skills useful. If you want to see a perfect example of this look at D&D 4E, the game continues to get cool ideas from players who see a new power, feat, class and find a unique way to make it powerful even if initially viewed as complete crap.

6) Character no power, this is similar to 5 in the sense that characters themselves, not just their skills, need to feel like they are “more than normal” people. You are a Nephalem, yet even with all your fancy skills, paragon level 100, if you don’t have your Skorn and armor you wilt in front of a Zombie. As a character levels they should feel stronger, faster, smarter, etc. otherwise why level at all? Whether the base “attributes” such as Str, Dex, etc. have to scale better (or again, give flat bonuses instead of % bonuses) or just make skills have base damage. Base damage needs to come from character progression somewhere.
    haven't played diablo 3 since a week after it came out, just signed in and posted because I am so happy about the news.

hopefully the next diablo won't be a wow-lite with warcraft graphics and untested impossible glitch encouraging difficulty

BTW "
    Sorry, but you must wait 2 minute(s) after joining before you may post. You will be able to post at 5:33 am on January 21, 2013."

what a stupid feature, good thing i dont visit this site often
    Quote from Melt

Quote from Indimix

So why the fuck aren't they resetting the ladder every 2 months so they can get even more sales from the RMAH?? Fml, why are people so immune to intelligence on this forum???

Indeed, fuck your life, please explain to me how the fuck a casual gamer is going to be interested in losing all of their work every 2 months?.
    Quote from Indimix

Quote from Melt

Quote from Indimix

Indeed, fuck your life, please explain to me how the fuck a casual gamer is going to be interested in losing all of their work every 2 months?.

Because the experience of starting new, fresh, on an equal plane with all others on the ladder is more fun for many than playing non-ladder?

Nowhere did he say that characters would be wiped, he said add a Ladder, ie and have non-ladder.

This allowed players who wanted to "start new" the ability to every 6 months or so; and it allowed for interesting things such as ladder only items, crafts thus the non-ladder would have to wait for them. Frankly, D3 needs a reset, but cannot have all these Real Money dbags whining, so make a ladder. Real Money can or cannot be used there (up to blizzard) and after reset, all characters become non-ladder.
    I see the ladder as a patch to a defective system. It's like, the players reached a point where there is nothing else to do -> restart.

And then all of them go again to "compete" to see which one spends more time sitting in a chair wasting time.

For players that like to spend 1-2 hours top 3 or 4 times a week.. ladder means nothing, it actually would be extremely annoying if mandatory.

And, like you said, if it's not mandatory, then 90% of casual player would never use it anyways.
    Quote from Highborne_D2

Quote from Indimix

Quote from Melt

Quote from Indimix

Because the experience of starting new, fresh, on an equal plane with all others on the ladder is more fun for many than playing non-ladder?

Nowhere did he say that characters would be wiped, he said add a Ladder, ie and have non-ladder.

This allowed players who wanted to "start new" the ability to every 6 months or so; and it allowed for interesting things such as ladder only items, crafts thus the non-ladder would have to wait for them. Frankly, D3 needs a reset, but cannot have all these Real Money dbags whining, so make a ladder. Real Money can or cannot be used there (up to blizzard) and after reset, all characters become non-ladder.

I agree that the game needs a ladder, but no RMAH, ok? We don't need that garbage that ruin games.
    The problem here is that the game is designed for the most casual players ever. It's made easy to understand and not with the purpose for a race in the ladder. Simply said this game is not Diablo 2, but it's trying to be.
    Also i think they scrapped deathmatch, because -> eSport.

The game is already dying i logged in and (i play hardcore) i saw almost no people playing public games, none. It's so hard to find people these days. So, how many people are playing the game for fun and not profit-wise from those million that bought it? I'm starting to think that Diablo 2 has more players. So sad that my favorite franchise died like that... And another fact is that Diablo 3 has more hackers % than Diablo 2.
    Now that I've had some time to think it over, I imagine internally this change just made a lot of sense. Jay was being vilified and obviously didn't enjoy it. Rob was happy with his work but didn't like seeing his director act as a punching bag. They had a project that more fit his specialty (RTS) so they moved him over, and are looking to put someone in who is more attuned to addressing things like itemization and the like.

Which isn't to say Jay failed. The skills are amazing and the combat is the best yet, so if only for that reason, I think Jay has contributed more than enough to the project, but I don't think the RPG side of things is quite in his repertoire, so hopefully they can find someone who can come up with all kinds of nifty garbage for us to collect in the same vein as runes/charms/etc. while also expanding on itemization.

Of course, mistakes have been made and they both probably deep down realize that, but to say the game is a failure is nothing more than hyperbole. This new director is more a closer than anything. Jay pitched a good game, but it's the bottom of the ninth and he's just given up a few too many runs.

Or maybe it's just getting hard to pitch with everyone throwing beer cups at him.
    Quote from IgnatiusReilly

Of course, mistakes have been made and they both probably deep down realize that, but to say the game is a failure is nothing more than hyperbole. This new director is more a closer than anything. Jay pitched a good game, but it's the bottom of the ninth and he's just given up a few too many runs.

Couldn't have said it any better.
    Quote from Indimix

I see the ladder as a patch to a defective system. It's like, the players reached a point where there is nothing else to do -> restart.

And then all of them go again to "compete" to see which one spends more time sitting in a chair wasting time.

For players that like to spend 1-2 hours top 3 or 4 times a week.. ladder means nothing, it actually would be extremely annoying if mandatory.

And, like you said, if it's not mandatory, then 90% of casual player would never use it anyways.

I agree 100%.

D2 having ladder-only items was irritating to me. I don't like ladders nor other forms of forced gear resets. The one thing they could do that would get me to drop D3 like a hot potato would be to implement ladders with ladder-only items.

I don't play this game to race to 99 (or pLvl 100) every X months.
    66.0k elite kills :: 1.97m total kills :: p244
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes