jay wilson quit diablo 3

Quote from BarbHC

I think Jay's decision to remove the skill system is good. I played torchlight 2 and found that the skill point system is not enjoying and even annoying. D3 needs more user customizing contents. but that is not the old skill points system. that is must be something innovative new system.

I can agree with this. I know some people find it hard to get into Path of Exile but they have done essentially this. The active skills are changeable but also level up (and scale better than D2's skills), but your underlying passive attributes are the "permanent" aspects to your character and dictate what skills will suit your build, what gear is best suited etc. This means you can have a general idea of how you what your character to be like without locking into skills that don't fit your playstyle the way you thought they might.

I don't want to see a D2/TL2 style active skill tree return, however there is something rewarding about having your skills improve not because you found a weapon with higher DPS.
    damage done already, anyway i have enjoyed the game ALOT probably more then 500 hours gameplay so im not gonna complain, but its sad to say the game could be so much more then it is, just minor fixes
    Quote from Gheed2010

Quote from overneathe

I try not to say this into too many topics, but people don't like remembering it.

That's an excellent summary, o.

And here's a factoid for you - Jay was leading the Diablo team for longer than the time between the beginning of the Diablo development contract (March 1995) and the release of Lord of Destruction in June 2001.

As our resident historian, I thought you would enjoy that bit of trivia.

Thanks for pointing that out. :P

Ha. Bagstone.

Finally!
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity
    Quote from Gheed2010

Quote from overneathe

I try not to say this into too many topics, but people don't like remembering it.

That's an excellent summary, o.

And here's a factoid for you - Jay was leading the Diablo team for longer than the time between the beginning of the Diablo development contract (March 1995) and the release of Lord of Destruction in June 2001.

As our resident historian, I thought you would enjoy that bit of trivia.

source?
    we will miss you............ NOT!
    Quote from wwepatriot

Quote from Kblavkalash

It's about time...

But seriously, i like this guy, he made a lot of good things for d3, but also a lot of ridiculously bad ones.

Can anyone really legitly state the good things he did for D3?

Development staff never quite got outside the box in the thinking process with this game compared to the staff that did Diablo II.

Well the core game is really good overall. Imagine D3 being released without RMAH, but with PvP and end game. Game immediately becomes like 10x better.
    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
    Quote from Kblavkalash

Quote from wwepatriot

Quote from Kblavkalash

It's about time...

But seriously, i like this guy, he made a lot of good things for d3, but also a lot of ridiculously bad ones.

Can anyone really legitly state the good things he did for D3?

Development staff never quite got outside the box in the thinking process with this game compared to the staff that did Diablo II.

Well the core game is really good overall. Imagine D3 being released without RMAH, but with PvP and end game. Game immediately becomes like 10x better.

Agreed +1

Wilson's failures will be remembered for a very long time in regard to the Diablo 3 project. However, I wonder, if D3 does become what we all want it to, will people give him credit for the foundation he laid?

The combat is FANTASTIC, dynamic and far far far better than we saw in D2. By a shit-ton...way better.

I really like the random magical property applied to items. Though itemization is woefully lacking, RMP's will always be there and hopefully future embellishments of itemization will marry well with RMP's. Many of the legendaries that still fail hard are typically considered instant brimstone before it's even ID'd.....strictly because the Legendary has no RMP. Frostburns are an excellent example of how many items are null and void without an RMP.

Despite much of the noise, I actually really like the artistic imagery and general feel of Diablo's visuals and environments (with the exception of Act 4~seemed rushed and didn't seem to jive with the rest of the game).
    Somebody just posted on the official Forums :

He's moving to Titan, Just officially renamed Titanic.

hahaha^^
    I want more competitive and challenging contents. Even though many guys complained diablo3 is disappointing, I think this game will be getting better.
    but don’t expect major changes until new expansion.
    Things are simple.. 2 things can probably happen.. Things will change a lot in the game which will take a lot of time.. even redesigning things from start.. just hoping though.. or nothing really will change, just a switch of a person and the program in development goes as it was scheduled. Hope the new guy has some ideas to make this game great again.

Did they notice that many people stopped playing though ? I remember at start Jay saying how many builds there were (2 mils or something like that).. imagine what.. when you inspect classes you find 2-3 builds for each class that are viable .. so something is wrong there.. itemization ? gameplay ? not sure.. but something is wrong.

Time to fix it. Or just kill it.
    Quote from Aniwthos

Things are simple.. 2 things can probably happen.. Things will change a lot in the game which will take a lot of time.. even redesigning things from start.. just hoping though.. or nothing really will change

Things have changed a great deal since launch. They fired the lead designer. DO NOT make the mistake of thinking this was anything but but a very loud statement from Blizzard directly, that the state of the game as is simply will not do.

I have great confidence, after what can only be described as a radical move in removing the lead director, that the devs with their new lead will address this game aggressively.
    I'm not surprised at this in the slightest. While we as the general public probably don't know everything that he does within his role, he seems to have been universally blamed for all the bad decisions and problems that D3 has. Not a good look for him or the company.

The game certainly sold well and has made the company plenty of money, no denying that, but the constant delays, problems at release, backtracking of ideas and changes to things (eg. items) that should have been that way already on release don't reflect well on the game, therefore JW too.

I can't say I liked or hated the guy, he certainly doesn't bug me as much as Metzen does now that's for sure. I think D3 has made some good progress in improving itself in the last few major updates, and whether that's because of JW's input or because he's already stepping back I don't know. Whatever it is, it still looks bad that it's taking nearly a year from release to get the game to a decent state that encourages replayability.

I'm one of the odd few that is still enjoying the game as it is now, and looking forward to 1.07. That's probably because I've not got a paragon over 50 yet and don't have many hours to play. What I'm saying is that, for me, I don't think it's going to matter too much having JW replaced. The changes are still going to happen, and you're still going to have for and against arguments everywhere. JW needed to go for company image more than anything else (that I can see from an external perspective at least) but I don't think it's going to impact on the direction of the game as much as people expect, and it certainly won't change my enjoyment of the game. Unless his 'not a PvP game' rule gets thrown out the window and the skills start to get balanced for it, tournaments and eSports set up etc. Then I'm out and the game can go fuck itself :)
    "It takes a man with real heart...to make beauty out of the stuff that makes us weep." - Clive Barker
    I havent read all the reactions, just skimmed over the thread. One thing i do seem to notice, people direct a lot more responsibility towards Jay then he had and i think you'll be in for a real let down of you think this will change things 360.

He was the project lead not some sort of dictator who thought up every aspect of the game all by himself.
    IAS-starvec cm-wizard.
    Still looking for friends to play (eu)
    I do think that Jay Wilson is to blame for everything that has got to do with the game (art, mechanics, content, etc).

I myself work in a large software organization, and as far as I understand JW's position (game director), he is the one that steers groups of people. These groups undoubtly consist of skilled and talented people that get somewhat 'vague' assignments. Like: design a combat system, design the art concept, design the items, design the itemization, etc. In practice these groups come up with several idea's and concepts in the beginning of the process. And people like JW are there to oversee the whole picture, and more importantly, to make decisions. These decisions lead to the output of different groups coming together into the solid form of a game. When some specific parts dont have good synergy together, or are not feasible due to time of technical limitations, its the task of the game director to make decisions about what to ditch, what to improve and what to develop next.

I'm very sure that the talented people in the development team have developed enough concepts and material to make a D3 game that is a thousend times better than D2, but in the end all these idea's and concepts have to be molten together by the game director, and since that is a complex task, and very sensitive to the vision of the game director, the end result will be very different for each different game director blizzard could had used (despite having to work with the same team!). I'm also pretty sure that a lot of the suggested ideas and improvements by the community, have been offered during the development of D3 to JW as an idea by one of his developers (or maybe the idea was thought of, but never reached JW because the software group is too big), but JW decided to not use it because it didnt worked for him, he couldnt visualize it, or it didnt fitted his vision.

I think Diablo 3 is a great game. I never played D2 or D1, but when I sink more than 100 hours in a game, its a good game. End of story. No matter its history. Diablo 3 for me is also the community around it, reading forums, learning stuff about the best items, looking at sites as diablo stats and diablo progress. Its the whole experience that actually makes items interesting.

They named the orange/brown things in the game Legendary. But for me a actual Legendary item in the game is for example a Mempo with 150+ mainstat and 6 CHC. This is because I learned that this type of mempo is the best possible roll. And that fact gives it legendary status. This idea in my head works, and is created by the Diablo context and atmosphere. Because it is also very hard to achieve this kind of mempo roll, it will remain legendary because I'm not sure if I will ever own one.

But back to Jay Wilson. So I think he is responsible. I hope that he played the game himself. and I hope that he realized that ID'ing rares resulting in trash 99.9% of the time is annoying, and I hope that he realized that the implementation of crafting just does not make sense at all. These are my two main frustrations in the game, and since they are both not fixed in 8 months time. I think that JW failed to see these basic flaws. And therefore these things were not part of his vision. Personally I think that is poor, so therefore I not only think he is responsible for the flaws of Diablo 3, I also think he has had a poor vision about the game.
    Quote from BarbHC

I think Jay's decision to remove the skill system is good. I played torchlight 2 and found that the skill point system is not enjoying and even annoying. D3 needs more user customizing contents. but that is not the old skill points system. that is must be something innovative new system.

Yeah. Click WW and add a "rune" is so awsome. I dont think any one likes that bro.
    "Tried the adventuring life. Didn't care for it. Too much pain, not enough profit." - Vidar the Collector

Number 1 DH in Crit dmg @ World. Working for NR 1 in life aswell!
    Quote from Xpire

Quote from BarbHC

Yeah. Click WW and add a "rune" is so awsome. I dont think any one likes that bro.

If they balanced the runes, I wouldnt mind it. I don't really play TL1/2, D1/2, or any ARPG because I love adding points into skill stats or picking items off a set route along a tree. I rather enjoy being able to make a wizard, and be able to mix and match skills at will to try various builds. It's also nice to pick a very inefficient build thats fun and try it out for a few hours without having to be locked into that.

I know thats not true for everyone, and I also do think it would be fun to have reasons to make multiple characters of the same class. So having some sort of permanent custimization wouldnt be a bad thing, I just don't want it to lock me out of any spells or runes.

So yah, I do think "pick WW and add rune" is fine, if their were enough skills and runes to make the choices feel meaningful. Right now, the choices are very limited because the runes are so unbalanced.
    Quote from Litheum

Quote from Xpire

Quote from BarbHC

If they balanced the runes, I wouldnt mind it. I don't really play TL1/2, D1/2, or any ARPG because I love adding points into skill stats or picking items off a set route along a tree. I rather enjoy being able to make a wizard, and be able to mix and match skills at will to try various builds. It's also nice to pick a very inefficient build thats fun and try it out for a few hours without having to be locked into that.

I know thats not true for everyone, and I also do think it would be fun to have reasons to make multiple characters of the same class. So having some sort of permanent custimization wouldnt be a bad thing, I just don't want it to lock me out of any spells or runes.

So yah, I do think "pick WW and add rune" is fine, if their were enough skills and runes to make the choices feel meaningful. Right now, the choices are very limited because the runes are so unbalanced.

You've said that oh so well. The cosmos must have aligned if we're agreeing on things!

Just kidding, you very much said exactly how I feel on the subject.
    p420 :: 88.4k EK :: 2.45m TK
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    I think Jay Wilson is only human and made mistakes, and I don't agree with the fervor with which people hate him, but what's done is done.

What I'm really interested in seeing is where they go with the expansion. That's the best chance they'll ever have to do a "reboot" of sorts - raise the level cap to 70, add ilvl73 items and suddenly all the old gear is useless. That's a golden opportunity to revisit gear affixes, crafting, the auction house, etc without really stepping on anybody's toes. Some stuff I'd like to see experimented with:

- Personalized loot, i.e. greatly reduce the frequency of loot for other classes
    - Improve drops further and make traded/auctioned gear Bind on Equip
    - Use lessons learned from 1.0.7 to revamp all the old crafting recipes
    - More interesting affixes on Rares, less emphasis on filling every affix slot with simple stat bonuses
    Quote from shaggy

Quote from Litheum

Quote from Xpire

Quote from BarbHC

You've said that oh so well. The cosmos must have aligned if we're agreeing on things!

Just kidding, you very much said exactly how I feel on the subject.

2 in 1 day!

I might go buy a lottery ticket.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes