jay wilson quit diablo 3

Most of you expect way too much from a game without ANY monthly fee. Covering the monthly bill from just selling some more copies to botters and rmah fee is not realy easy. ;) There is still an entire dev team working on this game. Either fixing bugs or getting new stuff into the game. Jay made for sure some bad calls for the development of D3 but some of you act just retarded.

In the end its not the call of a lead design go get a game on the market. Those decicions are made from people way above him on the leadershipboard at activision. Its more like this:

Hey Jay D3 ready for lunch in 3 months. Oh i dont think so. We need like +6 months. Dude get the game ready for lunch! We want some cash for next quarter! We already set up a marketing campain with lunch close before next wow exp. and we need d3 to maintain our wow subs over the next months!

More then 1mil copies gone to ppl. with 1 year wow subs for free...And still so many people think a lead design doing the "real calls"? lol

One simply cannot excuse all the errant decisions.

Sure, he was likely pressured into release.

But to do so without insisting they at least offer dueling while they iron out their desired PvP format was a fatal error. To launch this game with no PvP should've been considered taboo. Launching the game with such horrible Legendaries was simply inexcusable.

Point being; Jay could've at least made sure these two areas were taken care of. I find it.....curious...how they could work on D3 for so many years, launch it and then in only a few months concoct such sweeping chances as Monster Power and Paragon leveling.

When working on a big project like this concepts come and go since gamers fotm changing so many times over the years. Yes they failed releasing a game without pvp but im pretty sure its been more like: Get this damn game ready for release jay! As a designer you want to release the best stuff possible its 99,9% of the time business people just make the call to get the game ready for sale. They just dont wanne spend more millions on a game when they can get some easy cash from an expansion. ;)

Like 8% of the copies went out for free. The retail seller wants some money and hosting isnt for free at all. Marketing is quite a big chunk these days as well. From lets say 50 bucks each copy its maybe not even 20 bucks profit at all for each copy sold. And they still have to pay the monthly bill like i said and i doubt that current rmah fees and selling a few copies to botters making up for that.

Activision just needs a lamb to slaughter and his name was jay w. The community wanted his head anyways. And like someone already said. I highly doubt any new guy will have a chance to do a better job. The finance people making the calls not an "artist" developing games for a studio. :)
    Words of wisdom: Don't follow the advice of people who won't have to deal with the consequences.
    Bloody good news. Hopefully the new guy will fix a few things in the next couple of patches coming up. And i hope whatever they do they double it!!! >.

Activision just needs a lamb to slaughter and his name was jay w. The community wanted his head anyways. And like someone already said. I highly doubt any new guy will have a chance to do a better job. The finance people making the calls not an "artist" developing games for a studio.

I just want everyone reading this to understand the above quote is 100% unadulterated bullshit, fabricated from purely ignorant opinion.

I mean not be be rude, only honest. Certainly the corporate entities loom over such projects and their influence has a permeable effect on the project.

BUT....I seriously doubt they (corporate types) had any input into itemization (specifically Legendaries), no dueling/PvP at launch and the lack of endgame content at launch such as MP and Para levels.

AS the PvP project was fully scrapped just a few weeks ago, this signaled a need for fresh blood in the mix. Lead designer positions are in no way an exclusively scapegoat position. To remark as such is ignorant. No man with any amount of integrity would sign his name to something he had no input toward, knowing he's just there to get blamed if the project fails.

The new leadership will bring a new direction. It's hard to imagine that there is any direction to travel but upward.
    BurningRope#1322

Activision just needs a lamb to slaughter and his name was jay w. The community wanted his head anyways. And like someone already said. I highly doubt any new guy will have a chance to do a better job. The finance people making the calls not an "artist" developing games for a studio.

I just want everyone reading this to understand the above quote is 100% unadulterated bullshit, fabricated from purely ignorant opinion.

I mean not be be rude, only honest. Certainly the corporate entities loom over such projects and their influence has a permeable effect on the project.

BUT....I seriously doubt they (corporate types) had any input into itemization (specifically Legendaries), no dueling/PvP at launch and the lack of endgame content at launch such as MP and Para levels.

AS the PvP project was fully scrapped just a few weeks ago, this signaled a need for fresh blood in the mix. Lead designer positions are in no way an exclusively scapegoat position. To remark as such is ignorant. No man with any amount of integrity would sign his name to something he had no input toward, knowing he's just there to get blamed if the project fails.

The new leadership will bring a new direction. It's hard to imagine that there is any direction to travel but upward.

Like I said earlier, the loot system, RMAH, AH in general, all reeks of Activision.

I sometimes wonder if Activision didnt completely buyout Blizzard, Activision is good for stunts like this and any stunt to make a buck. Before the Activision merger or shareholder agreement (whatever the hell happened there), ideas like this would of never made it into Beta of any game by Blizzard.

Like I said earlier, the loot system, RMAH, AH in general, all reeks of Activision.

I sometimes wonder if Activision didnt completely buyout Blizzard, Activision is good for stunts like this and any stunt to make a buck. Before the Activision merger or shareholder agreement (whatever the hell happened there), ideas like this would of never made it into Beta of any game by Blizzard.

I try to view the RMAH as a necessary evil. I honestly believe they had no intention of allowing the presence of the RMAH to influence drops in any way. They only intended it as a resource to excuse a continuing flow of money, development and time into this game over many years.

F2P isn't free to operate for the software company. Quite an expensive, labor intensive and high maintenance endeavor going forward for many years.

I really think this matter is as simple as it appears. Poor lead direction led to a scrambled and incoherent offering.

Placing too much blame on Activision is a mistake. They obviously were not happy with Wilson's work. They have taken action in less than 9 months time. Drastic action that should lead us in a better direction.
    BurningRope#1322
    Jay Wilson is just doing what all great people do. They *try to* play Diablo 3 (with the available classes), realize it they suck, make a barb, roflstomp the game and then decide the only way the game benefit society is by quitting, uninstalling the game, and then smashing your computer. Frame the receipt and hang the box on your wall and when your children ask if dreams come true you have a great story...

Ninja edit for accuracy

I try not to say this into too many topics, but people don't like remembering it.

Once upon a time there was Blizzard and it was financed by porting games for other companies. Then they were bought by Davidson and Associates for $6 mil. Then Davidson and Associates was bought by CUC International. CUC then merged with HFS Corporation, but then they were accused of fraud, lost 80% of stock value and sold their software operations (including Blizzard) to Havas. Havas was bought by Vivendi. Then Vivendi bought Activision.

The highest people in the food chain have controlled Blizzard since the time of StarCraft and Diablo II. Activision was _merged_ with Blizzard to ease entity operations for the previously called "Vivendi games" division, while the 2 companies remain separated by operations. Now Activision takes orders from those same people that gave orders to Blizzard circa 1998.

In the end of the day the 2 companies have the same stock holders and answer on a single conference call while both working separately and answering to a single executive entity. Sounds to me more like Blizzard's bosses bought Activision. Isn't it kind of the other way around then?
    I honestly think it's a good news. Even tough JW was a hard worker and everything, I think he didn't exactly accomplished what was expected from him and got asked to leave his position. Blizzard is a good and civil company, Blizzard will not "move" a game director to another project just like that. If JW was really what Blizzard what looking for, he would have stayed in his position. I think they gave him time to find another job as reward for his work on the D3 project and they “moved” him to another project. Blizzard doesn't want to destroy JW futur, they will give him time to move on with his career. JW will temporary be moved to another project and then will quit the company within 1 year. This is my opinion.

Btw, ruksak, I agree with your arguments.
    Thank God, that's is all. I personally have nothing agaisnt Jay as a person. He's a gamer and he is a kind dude from what I see. But as the game director for DIablo 3 his views on the game just werent what the community expected. I mean every patch they add stuff but the fundamental issues are always there and ignored.
    First Basiok, then JW, next... Metzen? xD

Hope this will turn out well for the future of the game...
    Why do some people say that barbs will get nerfed?

Because Jay Wilson plays a barb.
    jay wilson will not be forgotten, there will still be frostburn gauntlets
    I just hope this as kind of a spring board.

If Jay and his team made major changes to the game at this point, it would be a big risk, because they are not only admitting they failed, but also if the changes they make don't work, or make it worse, it will make public perception even worse than it is now, and lead to even more people giving up on the game and the company. I think they have had to be careful to an extent to not make sweeping changes to the game philosyphy so as to save-face in public perception. They have been making improvements to the game, but they are very much in-line with the formula Jay and his team started with at launch (AH driven gear aquisition, Inferno being end-game, PVP not effecting gameplay by having safe-zones, 4 types of gems, BOA recipes, etc etc)

What I hope to see, is when the new guy gets on board, they make the changes to the game Blizzard knows the game needs, but maybe couldnt do it with Jay still at the helm. They can afford to reinvent the game a bit, and take some risks in a new direction. It can be explained by having a new game director, and a new vision, the team can get behind that and start getting creative and innovative. Be the Blizzard we remember from years past.

To clarify, I am not saying this WILL happen.....I am just HOPING that it does. I am really hoping that after patch 1.0.7, we start hearing some talk about changes to some tried-and-failed D3 game designs for future patches.

One can only hope though......I still have lost a lot of hope in Blizzard as a company.

I try not to say this into too many topics, but people don't like remembering it.

Once upon a time there was Blizzard and it was financed by porting games for other companies. Then they were bought by Davidson and Associates for $6 mil. Then Davidson and Associates was bought by CUC International. CUC then merged with HFS Corporation, but then they were accused of fraud, lost 80% of stock value and sold their software operations (including Blizzard) to Havas. Havas was bought by Vivendi. Then Vivendi bought Activision.

The highest people in the food chain have controlled Blizzard since the time of StarCraft and Diablo II. Activision was _merged_ with Blizzard to ease entity operations for the previously called "Vivendi games" division, while the 2 companies remain separated by operations. Now Activision takes orders from those same people that gave orders to Blizzard circa 1998.

In the end of the day the 2 companies have the same stock holders and answer on a single conference call while both working separately and answering to a single executive entity. Sounds to me more like Blizzard's bosses bought Activision. Isn't it kind of the other way around then?

Very nice to have read that. Didn't know it was THAT many switch overs...

Also, to all the nay sayers of Jay, remember sometimes:

"Better the evil you know, than the Evil you don't" -If they're getting someone from outside company, may have different views all around, there's your salt for this Jay's statement today.

First Basiok, then JW, next... Metzen? xD

Woot double post, Bashiok is WoW head CM now, it was part of the reorganizing.

To clarify, I am not saying this WILL happen.....I am just HOPING that it does. I am really hoping that after patch 1.0.7, we start hearing some talk about changes to some tried-and-failed D3 game designs for future patches.

One can only hope though......I still have lost a lot of hope in Blizzard as a company.

I too hope this is a chance the game will go in a new direction. Even if it has to wait til the first expansion and we have to make brand new characters because of major changes. I won't mind starting new characters because I came to realise (after about 7-8 months of denial) that in D3 we play classes, we don't make characters. This is current an Action Item Play Game, not Action Role Play Game. While items are important in this genre, it is everything in this game. And I'm gonna stop before I start ranting about primary stat...

This is how I feel right now...

This... sums it up perfectly!

I feel sorry for JW for copping so much slack, but he wont be missed.

LOL me too

Jay never addresses the important issues and instead tried to clear up issues that were not that important. Yes plvls were brought in,the infernal machine was started but anyone who has played d2 knows that these things should have been here from the start.

In my opinion d3 was created not for us d2 fans but to bring in more fans so that people who havent played d2 would also buy the game netting blizzard more money.Thats why the game's hated this much.

And btw i dont give a damn about people who think RMAH spoiled this game bcos if RMAH would not have been present then those same people would have been complaining about how people buying gear from 3rd party sites are ruling and why blizzard didnt create a RMAH.(Once upon a time i actually bothered to read these hate posts until i read a guy's post in which he told that d3 is crappy cos it doesnt have Baal runs)
    Grinding Gear Games (Company that produced POE): "These are great Ideas, we will use them for sure as they are clearly what the player base is looking for."

Blizzard: "While we agree that this game needs re-working and that these ideas could help the future of this game, we have no plans to listen to our fan-base at this time."

http://s1332.photobucket.com/user/Tester_3211/media/Diablo3devs_zpscc5fbac9.jpg.html?state=replace
    Kripparian Video :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ0uAsytQQk

That's an excellent summary, o.

And here's a factoid for you - Jay was leading the Diablo team for longer than the time between the beginning of the Diablo development contract (March 1995) and the release of Lord of Destruction in June 2001.

As our resident historian, I thought you would enjoy that bit of trivia.
    I think Jay's decision to remove the skill system is good. I played torchlight 2 and found that the skill point system is not enjoying and even annoying. D3 needs more user customizing contents. but that is not the old skill points system. that is must be something innovative new system.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes