jay wilson quit diablo 3

this is a great day for diablo community
    Taken from reddit:

This guy is a straight up liar.

I recently celebrated my seven-year anniversary working on Diablo III

Jay didn't even START working at BLIZZARD until 2007, let alone on Diablo 3. He worked at Relic before that. He is credited working as senior designer on Company of Heroes, through part of 2007.

He can't even make a goddamn graceful exit without bullshit.

For fucks sake.

UPDATE I was just banned for quoting him in a reply on the D3 forums and saying he was hired there in 2007

(http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/16rr9g/jay_wilson_leaving_diablo_3_good_riddance/)
    Oh. my. god. I just woke up after dreaming he was fired. I fucking knew it. And this is what? 2 days after PTR goes online? This can't be coincidence. It's the most disappointing patch so far.

LET'S GET IT ON!!!111

Quote from Sartorius

Oh. my. god. I just woke up after dreaming he was fired. I fucking knew it. And this is what? 2 days after PTR goes online? This can't be coincidence. It's the most disappointing patch so far.

LET'S GET IT ON!!!111

I'm happy about the change but ....ummm...1.07 gives us dueling. A HUGE step forward. 1.07 is far from an empty patch.
    BurningRope#1322
    honestly... i am not suprised.

He was bad for the Company.
    I cannot think of any other person receiving so much Hate from the Community....ever.
    Ghostcrawler comes to mind, because he made some poor decicions as well...but it wasnt SO bad.

And really, if something like this happens...its only a matter of time before they cut you lose.

While i do think he is a brilliant Gamedesigner, the aRPG genre wasnt really for him.
    Especially when you try to incorporate a Money generating Model like the RMAH with a fun Gameplay.

Money isnt everything, i hope the Boneheads at Blizzard start realizing that.
    Just read everything here. Not one like the way Jay destroyed our beloved franchise. Not one.

Is it surprising? Hell no. Where is the customisation? Where is the "STATS"? Where is the itemization that dosnt make this game so freaking flat.

I havent played for 2-3 months now and I've just watched twitch and other vidieos to see whats been done. Yeah Monster power seems legit, a big leap to the end game. But still it just goes down to.. well..
    farm, get better items, farm sell some at RMAH/GAH, farm .. . . .to the infinity. Yeah. Fun. Sarcasm.

So I'm not even remotly surprised that he got of the hock. A big leap for the diablo franchise. Hard to fix what he and hes crew done though. The original diablo 2 stats system would even be better for a game like this, but with more usable skills. A fucking skill/att tree. Is that so hard? Why go overboard and destroy one of the core things in a game like this? Meh, just MEH.
    "Tried the adventuring life. Didn't care for it. Too much pain, not enough profit." - Vidar the Collector

Number 1 DH in Crit dmg @ World. Working for NR 1 in life aswell!
    Imo this is a nothing patch. Yes it does have dueling, but man, how many years since they _allready had_ the dueling thing worked out? And they have used alot of time to make some pvp system around it and now they have to take a large defeat and just shove the old thing out admitting they have nothing, effectively just stalling the dueling for months.

I logged into the game yesterday after not having played since summer and i was bored and quitted right away.

I feel like a complete isolated nerd when playing, i think the social system is below zero, the itemization (including RMAH) solution is just not working, and i dont think anything can save this game now really. Its too late i think cause there is too many things that need to be changed that cant be changed. (and yeah, the Cain thing was just not a good idea).
    Quote from Xpire

Just read everything here. Not one like the way Jay destroyed our beloved franchise. Not one.

Is it surprising? Hell no. Where is the customisation? Where is the "STATS"? Where is the itemization that dosnt make this game so freaking flat.

I havent played for 2-3 months now and I've just watched twitch and other vidieos to see whats been done. Yeah Monster power seems legit, a big leap to the end game. But still it just goes down to.. well..
    farm, get better items, farm sell some at RMAH/GAH, farm .. . . .to the infinity. Yeah. Fun. Sarcasm.

So I'm not even remotly surprised that he got of the hock. A big leap for the diablo franchise. Hard to fix what he and hes crew done though. The original diablo 2 stats system would even be better for a game like this, but with more usable skills. A fucking skill/att tree. Is that so hard? Why go overboard and destroy one of the core things in a game like this? Meh, just MEH.

Not to sound like I'm trying to start anything. I'm really not. Can you clarify though on what you mean by "do more" in Diablo 3, that was also a part of Diablo 2? Besides farming (and now dueling).
    Not to sound like I'm trying to start anything. I'm really not. Can you clarify though on what you mean by "do more" in Diablo 3, that was also a part of Diablo 2? Besides farming (and now dueling).

No worries, i went overboard with the farm to infinity. But in diablo 2 you had something to go for. Even if you didnt play ladder and was single player guy it was fun when you were a high lvled toon. (Ladder helped alot.) And a simple thing like this, diablo 2 was funny to play over again as a other class or just same to BUILD a certan kind of paladin for example. It had replay value just beacuse of a small thing like that.

And the itemization was better in so many ways. Diablo 3 falls flat in many ways but is still good at some points.

I enjoy PoE more and It's even more simple then diablo 3. But do you know why i like it more? It have customization to it. A freaking big tree though. Kinda bad example, but you get what i mean. :)
    "Tried the adventuring life. Didn't care for it. Too much pain, not enough profit." - Vidar the Collector

Number 1 DH in Crit dmg @ World. Working for NR 1 in life aswell!
    All right, thanks for answering. I won't derail the thread so that's all I needed. :)
    I guess I'm going to state a minority opinion by saying "who cares?" I don't believe for one minute that any one person caused most of the problems inherent in Diablo 3, or replacing any one person will change the culture that led to this game. I also have no idea nor do I care how much the decision to move on was his vs. forced upon him, because it doesn't affect me one tiny bit.

Diablo 3 is a fun game. I enjoy playing it. It's not even close to the level of Diablo 2, but it's still better than 99% of the crap released these days. His departure will not change any of that, so I don't really care.
    Most of you expect way too much from a game without ANY monthly fee. Covering the monthly bill from just selling some more copies to botters and rmah fee is not realy easy. ;) There is still an entire dev team working on this game. Either fixing bugs or getting new stuff into the game. Jay made for sure some bad calls for the development of D3 but some of you act just retarded.

In the end its not the call of a lead design go get a game on the market. Those decicions are made from people way above him on the leadershipboard at activision. Its more like this:

Hey Jay D3 ready for lunch in 3 months. Oh i dont think so. We need like +6 months. Dude get the game ready for lunch! We want some cash for next quarter! We already set up a marketing campain with lunch close before next wow exp. and we need d3 to maintain our wow subs over the next months!

More then 1mil copies gone to ppl. with 1 year wow subs for free...And still so many people think a lead design doing the "real calls"? lol
    Words of wisdom: Don't follow the advice of people who won't have to deal with the consequences.
    Quote from Xenocow

honestly... i am not suprised.

He was bad for the Company.

He still on blizzard, just saying
    Quote from Shinna1989

Most of you expect way too much from a game without ANY monthly fee. Covering the monthly bill from just selling some more copies to botters and rmah fee is not realy easy. ;) There is still an entire dev team working on this game. Either fixing bugs or getting new stuff into the game. Jay made for sure some bad calls for the development of D3 but some of you act just retarded.

In the end its not the call of a lead design go get a game on the market. Those decicions are made from people way above him on the leadershipboard at activision. Its more like this:

Hey Jay D3 ready for lunch in 3 months. Oh i dont think so. We need like +6 months. Dude get the game ready for lunch! We want some cash for next quarter! We already set up a marketing campain with lunch close before next wow exp. and we need d3 to maintain our wow subs over the next months!

More then 1mil copies gone to ppl. with 1 year wow subs for free...And still so many people think a lead design doing the "real calls"? lol

One simply cannot excuse all the errant decisions.

Sure, he was likely pressured into release.

But to do so without insisting they at least offer dueling while they iron out their desired PvP format was a fatal error. To launch this game with no PvP should've been considered taboo. Launching the game with such horrible Legendaries was simply inexcusable.

Point being; Jay could've at least made sure these two areas were taken care of. I find it.....curious...how they could work on D3 for so many years, launch it and then in only a few months concoct such sweeping chances as Monster Power and Paragon leveling.
    BurningRope#1322
    He was in charge of d3 as a whole? Then I can safely say based on launch he should be fired.

I do however qualify that the improvements to d3 since launch are commendable. Might be worth letting him off with a paycut and demotion.
    I don't think he is moving on.. it's more like he got "removed on"....

Anyway, I don't know who really called the shots in D3, so I'm not sure if this is good or bad to D3.
    He will be missed...

Many choices of his, and the teams, are disputed, and lauded at the same time... That's just the simple truth of selling a product...

Upgrading D3 to a new type of game pissed many off, but personally, I had hundreds of hours of fun, and intend to check out the expansion(s), and the occasional patch that looks interesting...

Makes me wonder what they're looking for in a new game director... Someone to continue with the new style, or revert back to the old... Times are a changing, maybe... For example, I understand and support their reasons for the new 'not locked in' skill system, but 'not having a choice' in D2 was only for the hardcore players... Which is one thing the hardcore D2 players loved about that system...

-Alamar
    Quote from AlamarCurse
    He will be missed...

Not really...
    I just hope the "new guy" can fix the damage he has done.

But somehow i dont really believe it can be done.
    Too bad, I really liked him. But people need a scapegoat, as the head person on anything always realizes.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChB2_IPc-HVXbi0jS1Riljg
    ^ YouTube.Com/IceBleuGaming ! It's a thing! Check it oooout!
    Quote from Nikdik

This is how I feel right now...

This... sums it up perfectly!

I feel sorry for JW for copping so much slack, but he wont be missed.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes