Marquise Gem - Account Bound

Okay, so the new Marquise gems are account bound. That means in order to get one, you will have to get the specific design for the gem + 3 Radiant Stars + 1 Demonic Essence + 20 million gold, all of which will be forever removed from the economy.

What impact, if any, will this have on the game? Should this gem be account bound?

A new tier of account-bound gems of has been added to the game: Marquise

Marquise Gems stats are as follows:

Marquise Emerald
    Weapon: Increased Critical Hit Damage by 110%
    Helm: +33% Extra Gold from Monsters
    Armor: +62 Dexterity

Marquise Topaz
    Weapon: Melee attackers take 2200 per hit
    Helm: 33% Better chance of finding magical items
    Armor: +62 Intelligence

Marquise Amethyst
    Weapon: Each Hit adds +700 Life
    Helm: +19% Life
    Armor: +62 Vitality

Marquise Ruby
    Weapon: +150 Minimum and +150 Maximum Damage
    Helm: Increases Bonus Experience by 33%
    Armor: +62 Strength

These gems can only be created at the Jeweler and will require the following reagents:

3 Radiant Star Gems
    20 million gold
    1 Demonic Essence

Un-socketing Marquise gems will cost 5 million gold

The designs for the Marquise gems will drop randomly from all level 63 monsters

Note: The designs are not account-bound

P.S. Spelled "Marquise", and "Account" wrong in the title (didn't proofread the title). Mods, will you fix it please? :)
    Marginal Benefit Statwise...for a maximal price.
    Seems reasonable..... not^^
    Soul bound stuff should have been in the game from the beginning. It's the easiest, most effective way to remove stuff from the economy. Instead, they changed their mind, and now are panicking while the AH is over-inflated. Also, they screwed up crafting in general so bad, that there's little incentive to sink items into the artisans. Also, why didn't the Jeweler craft rings and amulets from the beginning, 1-60?
    Quote from trocadero_fuerte

Soul bound stuff should have been in the game from the beginning. It's the easiest, most effective way to remove stuff from the economy. Instead, they changed their mind, and now are panicking while the AH is over-inflated. Also, they screwed up crafting in general so bad, that there's little incentive to sink items into the artisans. Also, why didn't the Jeweler craft rings and amulets from the beginning, 1-60?

If they are worried about inflation in the economy, isn't this going to further increase the price of Radiant Stars? Seems counter productive.
    If they are account bound, we shouldn't be charged for un-socketing them.
    Couldnt care less about account bound. I've never bought a gem anyway and just make my own as need be.

A simple ARPG that has to be worried about 'The Economy' though...

Does anyone else find that kind of strange?
    Quote from axeman87

If they are worried about inflation in the economy, isn't this going to further increase the price of Radiant Stars? Seems counter productive.

Given that these gems are account-bound and un-socketable, I'm not entirely sure that it is intended to be a money-sink despite the high cost. For most players, it'll be a small number of one-off payments rather than an ongoing fee, so it might suck a little money out of the system, but not in the kind of way that'll have much of an impact on the market. I think they'll function more at a status-symbol, which is just the sort of thing that attracts a premium.
    Quote from Catalept

Quote from axeman87

Given that these gems are account-bound and un-socketable, I'm not entirely sure that it is intended to be a money-sink despite the high cost. For most players, it'll be a small number of one-off payments rather than an ongoing fee, so it might suck a little money out of the system, but not in the kind of way that'll have much of an impact on the market. I think they'll function more at a status-symbol, which is just the sort of thing that attracts a premium.

Well, I'm thinking like this.

Say you happen to have helm, chest, pants, weapons, rings, and amulet, each with max sockets.

helm - 1
    chest - 3
    pants - 2
    weapons - 2 (1 each)
    rings - 2
    amulet - 1

Total - 11

As it is now, if you want max gems in each socket, you have to get 11 gems. But after the patch, if you want max gems in each socket, you no longer have to get 11, but 33 (11x3). Not only that, but all of the other resources that go with it - and those gems can never be sold or traded, even if you no longer need them.

Granted, I think many people will probably only get them in their weapons, maybe in their helm. But what I'm looking at is the prospect of the addition of Marquise gems increasing the demand of Radiant Stars three times over. With little economic knowledge, I'm assuming that it will increase the price of Radiant Stars at least marginally, if not drastically.

It really just seems like a huge gold sink at the moment, and I'm not sure how it will effect the economy overall. It won't need Tome of Secrets, but I expect Demonic Essences to be fairly high priced initially, if they don't remain at least in the millions (depending on how many of them actually circulate).

I guess I just don't really see where the players "win" with this move. It seems that if they wanted the players to "win", they would simply make the Radiant Star Rubies do more damage, and introduce the new patterns as ilvl 63 drops (maybe as Uniques), and not require a new type of essence.

Also, Blizzard has said constantly that they want gold to remain the currency in D3. While this might be true, the value of gold tends to fluctuate depending on the prices (value) of other items in the market. How will the additions change that? Will our gold eventually be worth more or less?

This reminds me, I was thinking the other day about Ethereal items for D3. In D2, Ethereal items were really awesome. They were more effective, and above all had a translucent, 'otherworldly' look to them. In my opinion, Blizzard has a chance to do something like this with the new pattern. Were it my choice, I would make the created items Unique, with the D2 name color, and also make them Ethereal. I wouldn't make them limited durability though. In fact, the quality of Ethereal could be, along with the 'otherworldly' look, that the item is Indestructible. After all, were are going to have them socketed with Marquise gems, which will cost probably close to 100 million each (3 Radiant Stars = ~75million, + 20 million, + Demonic Essence). On top of that, the Blacksmith probably will also charge quite a hefty fee in mats and gold just to craft the new item. So why not do something cool like make them Ethereal?
    Quote from Azidonis

but I expect Demonic Essences to be fairly high priced initially, if they don't remain at least in the millions (depending on how many of them actually circulate).

This won't happen as the demonic essences are BoA too
    I think they will remove the bound to account once the D3 expansion is released.
    Quote from Raz0r_boy

Quote from Azidonis

but I expect Demonic Essences to be fairly high priced initially, if they don't remain at least in the millions (depending on how many of them actually circulate).

You're right. I missed that! Thanks for pointing it out.

Still doesn't change that the net result of the operation is the removal of millions of gold and high level gems from the economy though.
    I never said that... please quote correctly.
    It's a small step gold sink wise and a small step crafting wise.

also gives a + feeling for the premium through the price involved and a true feeling of a eng gear through the bind on account.

just like it was uber cool in d2 to name a weapon with the name you chose ... now you can have you preferred weapon with a bound on account marquise in it... so everybody knows your permanent investment..
    Quote from Azidonis

Quote from Raz0r_boy

Quote from Azidonis

You're right. I missed that! Thanks for pointing it out.

Still doesn't change that the net result of the operation is the removal of millions of gold and high level gems from the economy though.
    So? Thats how it works in rather many games. These new gems are primarily for endgamers and should be. There must be some stuff that differentiates normal players from endgame players.
    **Farming is my life**
    Quote from axeman87

No one quoted you. Wrong thread maybe?

Quote from Ultragrisen

So? Thats how it works in rather many games. These new gems are primarily for endgamers and should be. There must be some stuff that differentiates normal players from endgame players.

Right... so the already godly gear doesn't differentiate 'normal' players from 'endgame' players?

You're telling me that a player with an average item cost of 500 million per piece isn't differentiated from someone with an average of 20 million per piece?

Get real.

All this is going to do is massively inflate the cost of Radiant Star gems, so that 'endgame' players can feel cool while they sit and farm MP10 in solitude (read, with the small amount of others farming MP10), while the 'normal' players that could be 'endgame' players are held back by prices they can only hope to pay with their credit cards.

Do you really think that is solid game design?

And this isn't even close to the personalization quest in D2. A personalized item in D2 was not account bound, and it actually defaced the value of the item.
    Quote from Azidonis

Right... so the already godly gear doesn't differentiate 'normal' players from 'endgame' players?

You're telling me that a player with an average item cost of 500 million per piece isn't differentiated from someone with an average of 20 million per piece?

Get real.

All this is going to do is massively inflate the cost of Radiant Star gems, so that 'endgame' players can feel cool while they sit and farm MP10 in solitude (read, with the small amount of others farming MP10), while the 'normal' players that could be 'endgame' players are held back by prices they can only hope to pay with their credit cards.

Do you really think that is solid game design?

I do.
    Seriously where's the problem in that? if any one could afford the best stuff, what is there to strive for and how is that endgame then? If majority would be doing the same thing and being able to afford the same things, that would mean the endgame is just bad and easy to reach. What is wrong with giving something to buy for the players that can afford it?

Massive inflation of radiant gems doesn't matter, because any one can craft them on their own for a set JC fee.
    In the end, its just a gem. It's just +4 primary stat or whatever slot you put it in over the lower gem. It doesn't hurt not having it. It's not a requirement for anything. On the other hand, if you do have the gold to spend, then why not get it?
    I don't see a problem.
    Quote from Azidonis

Quote from axeman87

No one quoted you. Wrong thread maybe?

Please see post #7 & 8... sigh ....
    Quote from Turtel

I do.
    Seriously where's the problem in that? if any one could afford the best stuff, what is there to strive for and how is that endgame then? If majority would be doing the same thing and being able to afford the same things, that would mean the endgame is just bad and easy to reach. What is wrong with giving something to buy for the players that can afford it?

Massive inflation of radiant gems doesn't matter, because any one can craft them on their own for a set JC fee.
    In the end, its just a gem. It's just +4 primary stat or whatever slot you put it in over the lower gem. It doesn't hurt not having it. It's not a requirement for anything. On the other hand, if you do have the gold to spend, then why not get it?
    I don't see a problem.

So you don't see a problem with them intentionally pulling gold from the economy, while forcing certain prices to rise within it?
    Quote from Azidonis

Quote from Turtel

I do.

I don't see a problem.

So you don't see a problem with them intentionally pulling gold from the economy, while forcing certain prices to rise within it?

if there were no gold sinks then prices would just continue to inflate - this should be beneficial to pretty much everyone
    Quite a few (more hardcore) players have been complaining that they finished getting their gems 2-3 weeks after launch, and since then haven't really used the gem system for anything.

This change is directed towards them. Personally, I don't care much about it, but I'm positive it will please some specific players.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes