Your opinion on 1.07?

I just came back from vacation.

Read through the patch notes.

It's like... wtf? They're implementing dozens of changes that were demanded by the community exactly that way! Especially the Archon crafting items with a fixed stat or the gold sink (marquise gem) were so unexpected. And the QQers finally get their damn stupid PvP, so they'll hopefully stfu. This patch offers more than all (free) patches of any EA game ever combined. Maybe it won't fix everything, but it's a step forward - we'll see if it's a small step or a huge step, but who knows. Once PvP is off the table, they finally got time again to work more on the important parts of the game; they even mentioned that they're aware of low mob density in act 1+2. But then, NV stacks persist through acts - which might make it actually worthwhile to do full playthroughs and not just act 3 farming; maybe not for efficiency but at least there's an incentive. Reflect damage visualization+on/off switch. MP on public games. Wizard class fixes. Holy shit, can't wait for this.
    Quote from Bagstone
    This patch offers more than all (free) patches of any EA game ever combined.

The reality is that Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer (an EA game) had more free content updates until now than Diablo 3 will ever have before expansion. What you see here are bandaids to different systems in Diablo 3 and the PVP they had demoed at Blizzcon 2011 (and for whatever mysterious reason was not released so far). The only content update to Diablo 3 are the uber bosses. Boo-hoo.
    Quote from Bagstone

I just came back from vacation.

Read through the patch notes.

It's like... wtf? They're implementing dozens of changes that were demanded by the community exactly that way! Especially the Archon crafting items with a fixed stat or the gold sink (marquise gem) were so unexpected. And the QQers finally get their damn stupid PvP, so they'll hopefully stfu. This patch offers more than all (free) patches of any EA game ever combined. Maybe it won't fix everything, but it's a step forward - we'll see if it's a small step or a huge step, but who knows. Once PvP is off the table, they finally got time again to work more on the important parts of the game; they even mentioned that they're aware of low mob density in act 1+2. But then, NV stacks persist through acts - which might make it actually worthwhile to do full playthroughs and not just act 3 farming; maybe not for efficiency but at least there's an incentive. Reflect damage visualization+on/off switch. MP on public games. Wizard class fixes. Holy shit, can't wait for this.

Wow, you really think this patch can convince people who stopped playing to come back for more than a few days?
    Amazing.

Seriously, just go through the things you listed:

-New recipes: with the gold and mats cost, and the low-low-low chance of getting something good, only the top 0.1% will find it advantageous to craft these; the 99.9% will continue to do what they've been doing: skip crafting altogether and get all their gear through the AH.

-Marquise gem: seriously? Like 20 million gold for an extra 10% crit damage (or 4 main stat)? 5 million to unsocket one of those? Again, the overwhelming majority of players will never see one of these, and they're as unexciting as all the other gems.

-"They even mentioned that they're aware of low mob density in act 1+2": yeah, they're "aware". Only 8 months late, and let's see how long it takes for them to do anything about it.

-NV stacks persisting through acts: overall good change, but it's not gonna do a lot for the game, since you have to actually go through all the quests of the next act (due to the great way in which they designed the game). It's too linear and too restrictive.

-RD changes: meh. It's good, I suppose, but again, something really really minor (in my opinion).

-MP in public games: good change, but, once again, the community identifies problems long before the developer does.

-Wizard class fixes: what fixes? They slightly increased the damage of a couple of skills, nothing else. CM is still annoyingly mandatory as it has always been.

-"And the QQers finally get their damn stupid PvP, so they'll hopefully stfu" - incredibly, the one change you dismiss is the only actually big change. Even though I don't give a rat's ass about PvP, this is the only thing that will actually make a difference to a lot of people. Yet you dismiss it, with a couple of insults tossed in. Brilliant.
    Quote from maka

Wow, you really think this patch can convince people who stopped playing to come back for more than a few days?
    Amazing.

I have no idea if this is the case, but at least for me it will probably work this way, yes. I may be a bit too positive about the patch, but in my opinion you're a bit too negative, too. Oh and btw, this thread is about "your opinion on 1.07", I just stated my opinion, nothing more and nothing less. I'm disappointed that the 1.07 flame and QQ thread (http://www.diablofans.com/topic/83180-new-patch-major-let-down/) has 3 times more posts in it, this is not DiabloFans anymore, it's DiabloHaters. At least give this patch a chance, with such a negative attitude you'll never ever be able to enjoy this game again.
    To get back on track of the thread and to be positive about the patch (which I am for the most part) - I'm curious about others feelings/opinions on the new crated gear.

I crafted a few pieces of gear and at first it didn't really feel too impressive. I know that I could guarantee my main stat, but the RNG of the rest of the properties, just really didn't seem that impressive to me. The Hellfire Ring, aside from the two fixed stats, draws from a smaller pool of affixes (so it seems being a ring) and seem to favor some over others.

Over all, the new gear doesn't feel too different from rares in the field, so to speak - save for the guarantee of the main stat. Am I missing something?

Again, trying to be positive.
    New crafts will be awesome (because you have infinite, quick, cheap crafts, so sooner or later you WILL get an amazing roll), but the smart ones will only craft amulets, as that's the most expensive slot to fill from AH. Well, at least until people start to sell their current amulets...
    Any addition that doesn't hurt the game is welcome.

But, this isn't what fans of the Diablo series are waiting for.

Simply bringing back Skull and Sapphires would have been much better than super gems I hardly want..

(`_´)ゞ
    Quote from Bagstone

Quote from maka

Amazing.

I have no idea if this is the case, but at least for me it will probably work this way, yes. I may be a bit too positive about the patch, but in my opinion you're a bit too negative, too. Oh and btw, this thread is about "your opinion on 1.07", I just stated my opinion, nothing more and nothing less. I'm disappointed that the 1.07 flame and QQ thread (http://www.diablofan...major-let-down/) has 3 times more posts in it, this is not DiabloFans anymore, it's DiabloHaters. At least give this patch a chance, with such a negative attitude you'll never ever be able to enjoy this game again.

We gave the game a chance, 1000+ hours worth of a chance. You say we should be more positive, because you like the game. That is your opinion, you are entitled to it, but just because it is a positive opinion doesnt make it the just and righteous one.

We have a negative opinion, we are entitled to it, no one should be upset at us just because we think negatively. Nor is a topic that has a negative tone to it, or multiple people who share a negative apinion make it a bad thread, or give you the right to denounce it as flaming and trolling just because its negative.

People can not like things, and still discuss those things without being trolls and flamers.
    Every time when reading the patch notes, I only see items that the community has been complaining about at some point. I think that is something that really deserves kudos.

Despite the fact that I think that the current crafting implementation is one of the biggest flaws in the game, I also understand that it is very complex to add crafting to the game in a way that is not destroying the balance. I would have had rather seen that they buffed the existing recipes, but I understand that it is hard to _just change_ existing functionality.

I also think that the account bound solution for _potentially_ great gear is good. In the end everybody will craft (what else to do with your demonic essences?), and if you keep playing the game long enough, eventually some gems of crafted items will occur.
    The new BoA craftable items are a nice addition, but by itself does very little to fix the current state of crafting in D3. Having one guaranteed "not suck" affix still doesn't prevent 99% of your craftables turning out bad. Yay, 200str ammy with reflect dmg, life after kill, arcane resist, +armor and bonus to pots/globes.

What they should have simply done is introduce some new plans for slots that don't have recipes, and reduce the cost of all current recipes. No one crafts because it's not worth the time and cost. Encouraging people to craft the existing recipes would serve as a bit of a gold sink as well, since less would be vendored.

The new gem tier is also a piss-poor stab at fixing gems. There have been plenty of proposals from the community that are better than what they've come up with, though I suppose some of them would take more development work than the introduction of the marquise tier. For sure this serves as a nice gold sink for those with a few billion gold, which will hopefully keep a lid on the ridiculous prices we see on the GAH.

There are many quality of life changes that D3 needs, and all are simple to implement:
    1. Reduce time to id rares to 0s (instant). This is easier than an 'id all' option, which is preferable but requires more development time.
    2. Reduce the time to craft gems. Seriously, 3s? That's just stupid. Even better is what they have in Wow, where you specify the # to craft then click 'go'. But again that is a bit more development work.
    3. A louder, more obvious sound when a unique drops. I don't look at the mini-map. Print something obvious in the chat window too.
    4. Fixing their lazy coding so that we can dye uniques would also be nice. "Just not possible cuz we coded unqiues differently from rares" is a bad response from Blizzard.
    Quote from bruteMax
    Reduce the time to craft gems. Seriously, 3s? That's just stupid. Even better is what they have in Wow, where you specify the # to craft then click 'go'. But again that is a bit more development work.

Setting up a queue, especially for gems, is mandatory at this point. The average Joe is working off of Flawless Squares that drop in-game. That's a *lot* of combining to do to move up the gem ladder. There is no reason why we shouldn't be able to take 300 Perfect Square <whatever> and queue up 100 combines, go scratch our balls for a moment, maybe get a drink, then come back and see it done. No reason at all. The current implementation is very, very, very, very, very (get the point?) cumbersome.
    66.0k elite kills :: 1.97m total kills :: p244
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Quote from GoedeWiet

Every time when reading the patch notes, I only see items that the community has been complaining about at some point. I think that is something that really deserves kudos.

Despite the fact that I think that the current crafting implementation is one of the biggest flaws in the game, I also understand that it is very complex to add crafting to the game in a way that is not destroying the balance. I would have had rather seen that they buffed the existing recipes, but I understand that it is hard to _just change_ existing functionality.

I also think that the account bound solution for _potentially_ great gear is good. In the end everybody will craft (what else to do with your demonic essences?), and if you keep playing the game long enough, eventually some gems of crafted items will occur.

Yes, I do agree Blizzard is doing a nice job of making changes that affect the core problems of the game.....they are just doing it in such a poor way. They address the issues by adding very temporary, uneffective ways. Let's look at it from a simple, logical mindset:

People killed Diablo inferno too fast, ran out of content:
    - Make Inferno even easier, and give an incentive to running inferno by adding more levels via Paragon. This system didnt really adress the core issue of people running out of content. It did give people something they asked for, more levels ala D2, but it wasnt really the right decision for the core problem of needing more things to do than farm A3.

Inferno is too easy:
    - Make Inferno easier, and add increased level difficulties ala D2, but make the benefit proportionally favor the easiest MP levels. Again, it "gave people what they wanted" but it was not the right decision to fix the core problem.....the content being too easy and not enough challenge. They tried to make everyone happy by allowing MP0-2 to be more efficient than higher MPs, if your fix is meant to address the lack of challenge, you have to answer that calling......not answer it but then commit halfway because you don't want to upset the casuals. So this decision really didnt fix the core issue.....the game can still be played at incredibly easy levels for max efficiency.

Only worthwhile "end-game" is farming act 3:
    Ubers: OK this was actually a decent decision, but it is a very temporary fix. First, once you get a decent hellfire, Ubers become pointless. Second, Ubers are a seperate game mode (basically) and favor having a group. So if you are a solo player, you are still in act3, and if you want to farm more than just a hellfire ring, you are still in act 3. The ideal solution would have been one where you could farm existing content, but incude certain bosses/acts that gernered bonus rewards....or at least comparable rewards to a3. Ubers basically asked people to stop farming Act3 for all gear slots, and farm with a group for a ring. This again was a temporary fix that did not really address the problem of A3 being the only way to farm your gear-set.

99% of gear is vendor trash:
    Add increasing ways to increase MF. (paragon, MPs) Again, this is just a flat numbers failure. If 99% of rares are garbage, and you just increase the number of rares you get, you still have 99% of items being garbage. You are just more frtustrated because you have to return to town sooner and sooner to vendor your crap.

No item sinks:
    Increase the quality of gear you can get and make those items really expensive. I have no idea how this is supposed to adress the issue. If no items leave the market, then you just add higher tiers of items (hellfires, new crafted, better legendaries) that does nothing to reduce the gear in the economy. Alls it does is perpetuate the problem of 99% of gear being worthless. When you add a new tier of gear (basically what they did with the legendaries) alls that does is make all other gear your finding even crappier. So if you make more of your gear crappier, and increase the amount of gear you get.....alls you did was change "99% of rares are trash" into "99.5% of my rares are trash" again, not fixing the core issue. No one asked for more drops.....ever, they asked the drops they did get werent trash.

Affixes on items are not complex enough, we want more customization to gear:
    They made no attempt to fix this, so thats an easy one.

PVP:
    No need to comment here. Other than to say most people envisioned duels occurring on group runs, so you can duel while waiting for friends, or turn on your flag while farming, and allow people to come in and try and kill you for your loot. Lots of ways they could have done this and still give people who dont want to PVP a safe farming location......just dont turn on their flag. I don't get why we need a whole new area for duels, it's really pointless.

A lot of people say we will never be happy with any fixes they make, but I promise you that is not true. If they want to be original, and not use other peoples/games ideas, fine. But make fixes that are actually addressing the core issues. Not half-ass attempts to temporarily fix something because you want to try and make every person happy.

If the fix is to add more challanging content, then make those challenges, and reward the people good/geared enough to defeat those challanges. This WOW mentality where everyone has to have access to the same gear is ridiculous. The reason thats important for WOW and MMOs is because if your gear is so far behind your friends, you can't go into the new raid content. Their is no new raid content here, a guy with 80k dps can go farm A3 just fine on MP1-2, the guy with 1000+ hours farms A3 on MP8 for proportionally increased MF........Thats the whole point, improve your character to farm harder and harder content.

It makes no sense to me why Blizzard wants an ARPG to be so casual-friendly at the cost of fixing core issues and make it so my 58 year old mom is playing the exact same content with the exact same rewards as dudes with 1500+hours and there own livestreams and gaming professionals.

It is completely possible within an ARPG to give plenty of rewards and content to both casuals and advanced players.....like really really easy. I mean, thats the whole point of an ARPG, having that badge of honor showing you put in your time, you know how to play this game.....and here are my rewards, that you may never see because I am more dedicated and play more than you do.

Blizzard doesnt get that, or they get it and don't care.
    Quote from Polrayne

To get back on track of the thread and to be positive about the patch (which I am for the most part) - I'm curious about others feelings/opinions on the new crated gear.

I crafted a few pieces of gear and at first it didn't really feel too impressive. I know that I could guarantee my main stat, but the RNG of the rest of the properties, just really didn't seem that impressive to me. The Hellfire Ring, aside from the two fixed stats, draws from a smaller pool of affixes (so it seems being a ring) and seem to favor some over others.

Over all, the new gear doesn't feel too different from rares in the field, so to speak - save for the guarantee of the main stat. Am I missing something?

Again, trying to be positive.

I think you're imagining that about the Hellfire Ring, RNG is RNG. Main difference is that it has both a primary stat and the XP bonus. The new crafted stuff isn't different from rares, but having one guaranteed useful stat is a pretty significant improvement. Say you need four good affixes to make a great item - you're way more likely to get that when one of them is locked to what you want. You are of course still going to have to make a bunch of them to compare with something you would pay millions for in the AH though.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes