How will the 5 stack persisting through Acts work?

Lemme start with common ground. I realize you and I don't see eye-to-eye and it's easy to let personal disagreements get in the way of logical discussion (I'm sure Maka and I have gone down that road on a few occasions). I fully agree that D3 NEEDS a "non-storymode" mode and needs it ASAP. It's the one fundamental flaw the game has which, left unfixed, will severely compromise the games longevity. It's the biggest contributing factor to people not fanning out and farming what they want because it compartmentalizes the game into "whatever is up when I select this quest." Long term that's a recipe for failure.

That being said, I raged at that guy because the answers were in the blog:

http://www.diablofans.com/news/1495-patch-107-preview/#crafting

It specifically says there's a recipe on Rakanoth that has a 50% chance to drop if you have 5 stacks of NV, which until NV persisted through acts, was an impossibility. I said "patch notes" and technically I was incorrect as I should have said "blog" but my point still stands.

If said person would have just read the f'ing blog before coming here to rage against the man... he would have seen that there WAS a reason for that change with 1.0.7. Even though I think it may be leading to a "non-storymode" mode, that's only speculation (and great anticipation) on my part. The point remains that there was a reason, apparent in the blog, as to why that change would be going in with 1.0.7.

A little reading, instead of someone going right to the forums to rage with only part of the information, would make us ALL happier. We'd have less negativity, more constructiveness, etc. I think we can at least agree on that. At least I'd hope so.
    66.0k elite kills :: 1.97m total kills :: p244
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Quote from shaggy

Lemme start with common ground. I realize you and I don't see eye-to-eye and it's easy to let personal disagreements get in the way of logical discussion (I'm sure Maka and I have gone down that road on a few occasions). I fully agree that D3 NEEDS a "non-storymode" mode and needs it ASAP. It's the one fundamental flaw the game has which, left unfixed, will severely compromise the games longevity. It's the biggest contributing factor to people not fanning out and farming what they want because it compartmentalizes the game into "whatever is up when I select this quest." Long term that's a recipe for failure.

That being said, I raged at that guy because the answers were in the blog:

http://www.diablofan...eview/#crafting

It specifically says there's a recipe on Rakanoth that has a 50% chance to drop if you have 5 stacks of NV, which until NV persisted through acts, was an impossibility. I said "patch notes" and technically I was incorrect as I should have said "blog" but my point still stands.

If said person would have just read the f'ing blog before coming here to rage against the man... he would have seen that there WAS a reason for that change with 1.0.7. Even though I think it may be leading to a "non-storymode" mode, that's only speculation (and great anticipation) on my part. The point remains that there was a reason, apparent in the blog, as to why that change would be going in with 1.0.7.

A little reading, instead of someone going right to the forums to rage with only part of the information, would make us ALL happier. We'd have less negativity, more constructiveness, etc. I think we can at least agree on that. At least I'd hope so.

Still, they neer said NV would work like you assumed, or the ONLY reason they did it was for recipes.
    So not sure your response was necessary or reasonable.

"One of the reasons for the NV stacks persisting is because we will need to have 5 stacks going into Act 5 to farm recipes, if you read the blog you would see that. However, I understand how you might want the stacks to persist while changing quests, however it is not likely because I just don't think they want people switching quests and keeping stacks."

That would have worked fine, and not instigated more rage.
    Quote from IgnatiusReilly

When the patch hits, I plan on doing a full clear of the entire game with my NV stacks, just because.

^
    Quote from Sovngarde

NV persisting between acts is pointless. The only characters who even travel between acts are ones that don't care if they have NV stacks or not, because they're still completing the game on Inferno and so their gear is shitty. They can't actually farm anyway.

Unless they link the whole game together like in D2, this change was more or less just a waste of some software engineer's afternoon.

It is literally impossible to have 5 stacks for Rakanoth in the current setup. This new method would allow you to get 5 NV in Act 3, kill Asmo, and carry on into act 4 for a shot at Rak's new pattern drop. Now it might be more effective to farm other bosses, but that's the only way to farm him.
    Quote from Zyfoh

Will we be able to get 5 stacks in Vault of the Assassin for example and then go to menus and change quest to Heart of the Sin in Act 3 and do an Act 3 run with 5 stacks?

Because it can't just really be that you keep the stacks after ending an act, that would just be pointless.

It's the latter. Until they address monster density, from a farming (exp or loot) perspective, ya it's not going to be changing routes since even act bosses aren't very efficiency friendly.

It does however put some interesting runs for keys though. But ya, it's not a "STOP THE PRESSES, CHANGE ALL THE GUIDES" type of change. The exp one though might get geared players out of MP 0 and 1 though.

When the patch hits, I plan on doing a full clear of the entire game with my NV stacks, just because.

I really like this idea although I might take it up a level doing speed runs with each of the different classes, Could be a fun way to see which of my charcters really is the best all round.
    Quote from tychoblu

^

^

Also because I wanted this kind of change. Not making good use of it wouldn't make sense.
    I embrace having the choice to either play on or lather, rinse, repeat.

Knock someone for giving you *only* 1/2 a bowl of food when you're starving, good move.
    Conform or be cast out.

My Demon Hunter: http://tinyurl.com/anufqzj

Demon Hunter spreadsheet by Dretar http://www.diablofans.com/topic/46517-demon-hunter-dps-calculator/
    Quote from Phredreeke

I doubt NV stacks persists between games, because then you can just farm a single area over and over again which was half of what the NV system was meant to prevent.

Oh you mean like farming the same Act over and over because its the most viable?
    Quote from Nikdik

Quote from Phredreeke

I doubt NV stacks persists between games, because then you can just farm a single area over and over again which was half of what the NV system was meant to prevent.

Oh you mean like farming the same Act over and over because its the most viable?

I never said Blizzard has done a good job meeting there own goals....I'm just telling you what their goals are, and why they won't add NV persisting as you switch quests because it goes against their goal, of making farming the same boss over and over viable.

I agree it's no different than running A3 over and over, but I doubt they intended a run to consist of a 6-10 minute speed clear and reset to be a normal farm run.

Also, on PTR NV doesnt persist through changing quests.....so even if my reasoning doesnt make sense to you, I was right.
    Sorry to be so positive about a change again, but what I like most about this is that you can get NV5 stacks anywhere and then visit other high mob density areas in the game. Yes, it's not like all other areas are completely useless; think about woods in act 1, vault in act 2, almost all areas in act 4. It's just that these areas are hardly enough to get to NV5, and after that there's nothing else to do. With NV stacks persisting across acts these areas are actually worth being visited again.
    Quote from Bagstone

Sorry to be so positive about a change again, but what I like most about this is that you can get NV5 stacks anywhere and then visit other high mob density areas in the game. Yes, it's not like all other areas are completely useless; think about woods in act 1, vault in act 2, almost all areas in act 4. It's just that these areas are hardly enough to get to NV5, and after that there's nothing else to do. With NV stacks persisting across acts these areas are actually worth being visited again.

Except you can't. You have to follow the stupid quest line. That means you have to follow the enchantress. You have to free Chen. You have to follow all of Zoltun Zulle's quests. Then it's on to act 3 and doing the entire thing, INCLUDING the inefficient parts.
    Ouch. Didn't know that, thanks for pointing out.
    Quote from Andarus

People won't switch acts in 1.0.7. Its not efficient at all. I don't really see any use in this change.

I switch between acts all the time. Farming one area is pretty god damn retarded. Why would you do that? You competing with the Chinese....gotta stay efficient?
    BurningRope#1322
    That's not the point.

Thing is, a great game can be appreciated when efficiency and fun go in the same way.

This is the opposite of that.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes