I like the changes in patch 1.0.7

Quote from maka

@Zero(ps): you're still not getting it. It doesn't matter what I want.
    You can have 1000 people that want 1000 different things for so-called "end-game" (and that are not satisfied with the current end-game), and what this patch does for 'end-game' doesn't please 999 people out of those 1000. The one guy who's happy is the one that only wanted needed duelling, and nothing else.

At the same time, take 1000 people that are displeased with the itemisation in D3, for 1000 different reasons. Once again, probably none of those 1000 will be happy with what this patch does for itemisation, because it does nothing. Seriously, one more gem rank? Tens of millions of gold for 10% extra crit dmg or some main stat? Please.

It's weird that you say that only 0.01% of the players are happy with the patch. We had a poll on a thread here on DFans and about 80% of the votes were positive.

Making up statistics is awesome isn't it? I guess I can do it too: 95% of the haters won't agree with what I say, no matter what I say, because they will always hate on the game/developers until they do exactly what they want. And then they won't play 20 minutes of what they wanted/asked for. Aka Torchlight 2 (which has all that people want for D3, yet nobody plays - yay!).

I don't know for you, but end-game for me just improved tenfold. Having new recipes with the potential to create powerful items without having to "play the AH" is a huge factor to get me into playing again. I'll probably spend my 80 mil gold just on crafting these new items. It's not "just 10% crit chance", it's how you get that, paired with the fact that the items are account-bound.

And itemization? You still don't understand either, do you? They're not changing how resists, mainstats and how RNG in general works. It just won't happen. And nothing they do will ever make something like +pickup radius or +health globe bonus as valuable as Crit Chance or +Mainstat.

It's just.....really weird. Some of the changes are really out of touch with reality, while other things that glaringly need fixing (and I don't even mean the hard ones, just some quick and easy fixes) don't even get mentioned - I'm looking at you, weapon effect of topazes and helm effect of emeralds. I'm also looking at you, useless lvl 60, 61 and 62 legendary weapons. Another example? It took them, what?, eight months to realise that being able to progress between acts without having to exit game is a good thing. No shit.

And let's not even mention the aberration that is bnet 3.0 as it applies to D3.

IIRC they have admitted in the past that the Thorns system needs reworking. I'm sure they're working on it. People think the fix is just throwing +attackspeed in Topaz and see what happens. Well, if it doesn't work and they have to rollback the changes, the backlash is going to be huge, so I'm 110% sure they're not even considering that "fanmade solution".

Said if before, will say it again. Generic complaints about the game won't help the developers give you what you want. They just let everyone know you're still here on the forums hating on the game 8 months after its launch.
    Quote from Crateme

Agree completely, except you missed something. Should be:

Endless dungeons 'that are properly randomized'

That goes without saying dude!
    Quote from wheunis

Endgame this and endgame that... You're all so bluntly stupid about endgame in ARPG's, that the only endgame that matters is overlooked again and again.

Pvp? Suck a cockroach!
    Leagues? Rub yourself in poison ivy!
    Ladders? Die in a fire!

There is only one solution. One solution that can be made a million different ways, with endless variation and mechanics and bonusses.
    Endless Dungeons.

Until D3 gets this, its an incomplete product.

/peace.

sorry, I don't get the appeal of that. Please explain what a properly randomized endless dungeon would look like.

this is the picture I have in my head. Taking Keeps level 2 a size and look as a starting level. You clear and and you get to the next level. Should this then have the same look (i.e. brick walls) or something completely different like a worm hole cave as you'd find in act 2? and this would go on for ever and ever and ever?

Instead you could just have an item which creates a portal and it takes you to a random dungeon that you get to clear. Using the item again sends you to a new random dungeon that you can clear. This solution does seem easier to fit into the lore

I guess you want this to farm XP/gear without having to restart the game and having new locations, right?
    Alkaizer run (and the newly suggested farming route) are endless dungeons in a way. I guess the'd have like what... 4-5 different layouts of dungeons and the the rooms would be randomized. After a while you'll probably be tired of those too even though you can farm them for ever and ever. Next thing you want is a narrow hallway that enemies comes rushing down in an endless stream so you can farm them...

Enlighten me.

To also answer the OP. I like the changes but I can't really say what they missed since the patch notes haven't been released. The data mining is not necessarily a complete list. Me personally don't care that 99% of the rares are useless (I actually think the %age s higher), that's the idea of the game: the hunt!

The ones that want blizz to skip ilvl 60 and 61 and make certain affixes mandatory on certain items, I say: go play the games with cheat codes you normally play if you don't wanna put the time in :P
    (also, no I can't play the game 8-12 hours per day either)
    Quote from Niddro

sorry, I don't get the appeal of that. Please explain what a properly randomized endless dungeon would look like.

this is the picture I have in my head. Taking Keeps level 2 a size and look as a starting level. You clear and and you get to the next level. Should this then have the same look (i.e. brick walls) or something completely different like a worm hole cave as you'd find in act 2? and this would go on for ever and ever and ever?

Instead you could just have an item which creates a portal and it takes you to a random dungeon that you get to clear. Using the item again sends you to a new random dungeon that you can clear. This solution does seem easier to fit into the lore

I guess you want this to farm XP/gear without having to restart the game and having new locations, right?
    Alkaizer run (and the newly suggested farming route) are endless dungeons in a way. I guess the'd have like what... 4-5 different layouts of dungeons and the the rooms would be randomized. After a while you'll probably be tired of those too even though you can farm them for ever and ever. Next thing you want is a narrow hallway that enemies comes rushing down in an endless stream so you can farm them...

Enlighten me.

The basis you have is correct. Start in one place, clear, and take the stairs to next level down.
    Themes can change in this, yes. So you could catch a slide on over to oasis, end up in festering woods, back to oasis, inside cathedral, keepdepths, keep tower, arreat crater, and just all over the place.

What makes endless mode better than repeated alkaizer runs is quite large.
    First and most obvious, true randomized level layouts come into play. On top of that - change of scenery.
    Yes, sure Alkaizer goes from the themes crater -> towerdamned -> depths -> fields (or keeptower for key for some ppl).
    But the order, and rhythm is always the same.
    Endless can fix that.

The next thing that endless does is create ENDLESS PLAYMODES.
    You could have weekly events (think like raid lockouts), where if your character dies, your event is locked and progress logged for a leaderboard. Top 5 players per mp get (insert some fluffy reward here - posibly cosmetic only - wings? maybe even loot or gold or crafting shit).
    You could have daily events (think heroic WoW dungeon lockouts) where exp is tabulated to a leaderboard. Top 5 per mp gets X exp/gold reward.
    You could have monthly events whereby the player's total mobs killed gets tabulated to a board and rewarded.

The possibilities are endless.
    Furthermore, endless deungeons can provide on-the-fly difficulty scaling if so implemented: Each floor gets harder and awards an extra buff of X% exp/mf/gf. (or wtf ever other bonus).

The possibilities that endless dungeons brings is literally endless.
    Wanna just farm floor to floor nonstop without needing to restart some shitty quest? Have at it!
    Wanna get competitive with you friends and see who can clear up to floor 50 first? Get some!
    Wanna strut your stuff and show the world that your 700k dps zero-sustain character isn't useless afterall? Bring it!

All in all, its the alpha and omega of modern ARPG endgame.

Through all this, you might now think "this all sounds like a LOT of development time/money to do".
    Consider then, that Torchlight 1 did it. Then consider that it was effectively a $10 INDIE GAME... Blizz shoud be able to blow this beast over the roof in next to no time at all!

There is no reason why it shouldn't have been available since launch, or at the very least 1.0.4...
    I'm afraid of this paragraph:

Seriously... No more nerfs to Demon Hunters please.
    Quote from wheunis

Quote from Niddro

Enlighten me.

The basis you have is correct. Start in one place, clear, and take the stairs to next level down.
    Themes can change in this, yes. So you could catch a slide on over to oasis, end up in festering woods, back to oasis, inside cathedral, keepdepths, keep tower, arreat crater, and just all over the place.

What makes endless mode better than repeated alkaizer runs is quite large.
    First and most obvious, true randomized level layouts come into play. On top of that - change of scenery.
    Yes, sure Alkaizer goes from the themes crater -> towerdamned -> depths -> fields (or keeptower for key for some ppl).
    But the order, and rhythm is always the same.
    Endless can fix that.

The next thing that endless does is create ENDLESS PLAYMODES.
    You could have weekly events (think like raid lockouts), where if your character dies, your event is locked and progress logged for a leaderboard. Top 5 players per mp get (insert some fluffy reward here - posibly cosmetic only - wings? maybe even loot or gold or crafting shit).
    You could have daily events (think heroic WoW dungeon lockouts) where exp is tabulated to a leaderboard. Top 5 per mp gets X exp/gold reward.
    You could have monthly events whereby the player's total mobs killed gets tabulated to a board and rewarded.

The possibilities are endless.
    Furthermore, endless deungeons can provide on-the-fly difficulty scaling if so implemented: Each floor gets harder and awards an extra buff of X% exp/mf/gf. (or wtf ever other bonus).

The possibilities that endless dungeons brings is literally endless.
    Wanna just farm floor to floor nonstop without needing to restart some shitty quest? Have at it!
    Wanna get competitive with you friends and see who can clear up to floor 50 first? Get some!
    Wanna strut your stuff and show the world that your 700k dps zero-sustain character isn't useless afterall? Bring it!

All in all, its the alpha and omega of modern ARPG endgame.

Through all this, you might now think "this all sounds like a LOT of development time/money to do".
    Consider then, that Torchlight 1 did it. Then consider that it was effectively a $10 INDIE GAME... Blizz shoud be able to blow this beast over the roof in next to no time at all!

There is no reason why it shouldn't have been available since launch, or at the very least 1.0.4...

Although TL1 had endless dungeon mode, TL2 got rid of it. I think this mode is more suitable for a game mainly happening in dungeons but have difficulties for those heavily involved with outside world which both D3 and TL2 are in this category.
    Quote from wheunis

Endgame this and endgame that... You're all so bluntly stupid about endgame in ARPG's, that the only endgame that matters is overlooked again and again.

Pvp? Suck a cockroach!
    Leagues? Rub yourself in poison ivy!
    Ladders? Die in a fire!

There is only one solution. One solution that can be made a million different ways, with endless variation and mechanics and bonusses.
    Endless Dungeons.

Until D3 gets this, its an incomplete product.

/peace.

D2 didn't have endless dungeons and it was a pretty damned good game, so I really fail to see how D3 is doomed to be a subpar ARPG if it doesn't have them. IIRC PoE doesn't have endless dungeons either. We probably should alert their devs that their game is worthless so they can stop wasting their time on it then, right? I understand that you feel that an endless dungeon is important, but to basically say that a game cannot succeed without it is... well it's rather self-righteous.

Quote from Sagathiest

This patch clearly does very little to address ANY of the itemization problems at all, its not a systematic change its a just a few more band-aids. For example a systematic and new change which could be made to crafting would include a genuine legendary item sink. Its not enough to create a few recipes which utilise brimstone because the items made with brimstone are still durable you need a a crafting recipe which creates an expendable non-durable so that items are actually completely destroyed.

So, basically, what you're saying is that Blizzard isn't allowed to patch in ANYTHING until it fixes the thing that you have deemed "most important." You do realize that they've almost certainly been working on "PvP" (which includes dueling and the scrapped system) since before the game was launched, right? The moment they yanked it from the launch version they surely had a team working on developing something because they knew that tons of people wanted it. Now, obviously dueling falls short of what some wanted, but what you're saying is pure insanity.

Different problems come to light at different points in time and have different timetables for being fixed. If Blizzard doesn't have an "itemization fix" until mid-April are they simply supposed to stop all the other stuff they're working on too? Because that's pretty self-centered and narcissistic to say that every patch is worthless (even though many people clearly want PvP) until it fixes what you think it should.

What you've said is exactly why so many people who defend Blizzard say that no matter what they do there will be people who shit the bed and piss their pants over it. The changes are coming, every patch so far has been a nice step in the right direction. Yet, somehow, this is a "bad" patch because it doesn't fix a complex problem that hasn't been on their radar for more than a few months, but it does fix a rather straightforward problem that has been on their radar for at least a year. Where is the logic in that? Are you just looking for things to nerdrage about?
    66.0k elite kills :: 1.97m total kills :: p244
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    A lot of hater versus lover rage going on. Not sure that it's really that insightful. Complaining about another person complaining, then arguing with that persons argument about why it's not complaining is not helping.

Anyway.....
    Here is the easiest way to sum up why I don't think this patch is a good patch. Like many people, I don't care much about duels.

So, for me, in a month or so (probably less based off of the % drop chance of recipes) I will be farming A3 (possibly with a few new areas mixed in, depending on how the NV stack mechanic works) over and over and over. After I have my recipes, the game play will not be any different than right now. There will be no incentive to have more than 1 character farming the exact same route endlessly.
    So, this patch which IMO took a long time to develop, is not changing the game for me at all. Other than getting mats along the way for a very small chance at an upgrade.

I am bored with running the exact same route, with nothing else to do and no reason to play alts, for a tiny chance for an upgrade. That is not changing with this patch, and therefore I will continue to not play D3.

Argue/complain about me "hating" if you want, but it will not change my opinion, unless you can show how this patch will not result in everyone back to farming the same routes endlessly with next-to-nothing to show for the hours/days of farming that same-old content.
    Quote from Zero(pS)

As far as end-game game goes, Diablo has always been about the item hunt. Unless you have the absolute perfect items on every slot for every character, you're probably not even at the end-game. I know I'm not. And I'm absolutely positive a lot of people complaining about lack of "end-game" also aren't,

What they really want is end-game quests... infinite dungeons... bosses... Firstly, this isn't a subscription MMO, so whoever got this expecting new content every few weeks are the ones delusional. Secondly, these are all artificial challenges, so you think you're doing something different, while you're actually just hunting for items (the original end-game).

You see the post above me, this guy wants more monster affixes. That's a concrete suggestion. That's something that can be done, pretty easily. And would add depth to an already dynamic combat. Generic complaints serve absolutely no purpose except to bash on the current state of the game.

Dude...I don't understand how you can be this shortsighted. Of course nobody's expecting new maps every week.

Of course there is endgame in Diablo (I don't think you quite grasp what endgame means - it sure as hell doesn't mean having every BiS item - it's about being able to farm this kind of items). Saying there isn't would be stupid. But it's the worst endgame I've ever seen. And I'm mad and constantly rage about Diablo, not because I'm some delusional hater that gets off on trolling people. It's because I actually like the game, but the game doesn't like me. It's slowly but surely driving me away from it. Actually Blizzard is.

There are a lot of good things about Diablo III, I won't go into that. However I'll reiterate what I posted on the US forums: there are 2 core problems with this game (my view being shared by many others, from what I've seen ), one being the way the game effectively forces you to be as efficient as possible when farming legendaries and paragon which takes us to the second core problem, which is getting fed up with doing Act III over. And over. And over. And over. Ad infinitum. I KNOW THAT FREAKING PLACE LIKE THE BACK OF MY HAND. I wanna keep at it, but it's getting so hard at times that after killing a pack in Arreat Core, I'm just like "fuck it. I can't do this anymore."

I hate myself for bringing this up, but Path of Exile has a superb endgame: 46 (or something like that) DIFFERENT maps, which through the affix system creates beautiful uniqueness, resulting in a much slower burnout. I'm not asking for 50 new maps, give me at least 10 others. Instead of that they keep throwing dirt in our faces by solving problems with little to no relevance and giving us stupid carrots to follow around until burnout occurs once more.

There are of course other problems, but this is something I'd like to see handled asap. Yet, this is not even acknowledged as being a problem. It makes my blood boil!!!!111 *pats himself on the back and calms down*
    Sartorius, you bring up an excellent point. The lack of area randomization completely kills this game. I don't know what genius at Blizzard suggested trading replayability for 'prettiness'.
    Quote from Litheum

Anyway.....
    Here is the easiest way to sum up why I don't think this patch is a good patch. Like many people, I don't care much about duels.

So, for me, in a month or so (probably less based off of the % drop chance of recipes) I will be farming A3 (possibly with a few new areas mixed in, depending on how the NV stack mechanic works) over and over and over. After I have my recipes, the game play will not be any different than right now. There will be no incentive to have more than 1 character farming the exact same route endlessly.
    So, this patch which IMO took a long time to develop, is not changing the game for me at all. Other than getting mats along the way for a very small chance at an upgrade.

I am bored with running the exact same route, with nothing else to do and no reason to play alts, for a tiny chance for an upgrade. That is not changing with this patch, and therefore I will continue to not play D3.

Argue/complain about me "hating" if you want, but it will not change my opinion, unless you can show how this patch will not result in everyone back to farming the same routes endlessly with next-to-nothing to show for the hours/days of farming that same-old content.

Except you're not complaining about vague stuff just for the sake of it, as do a lot of people. You're being spot on and very precise on why you didn't like this particular patch.

That's exactly the kind of feedback Blizzard needs to work on future patch content. Your post right there tells them that they need better farmiing route distribution (instead of forcing you into Act 3 all the time).

And it's great, I like it. If everyone provided proper feedback like that, it wouldn't take them months to give us a patch, it would take them weeks. Having to filter through all the garbage takes time and resources.

Quote from Sartorius

Of course there is endgame in Diablo (I don't think you quite grasp what endgame means - it sure as hell doesn't mean having every BiS item - it's about being able to farm this kind of items).

Actually I do grasp that endgame means different things for different people. I actually respect that. And I'm even willing to admit that D3's endgame is lacking. For me personally, it's also better area and monster composition randomization, and better rune balancing.

However I'll reiterate what I posted on the US forums: there are 2 core problems with this game (my view being shared by many others, from what I've seen ), one being the way the game effectively forces you to be as efficient as possible when farming legendaries and paragon which takes us to the second core problem, which is getting fed up with doing Act III over. And over. And over. And over. Ad infinitum.

See, that right there is weird for me. How exactly does the game "force" you to be the most efficient? I've never played like that, and I have at least 12 friends who never did either. That's a concept known only to the most hardcore gamers. I never did that because I didn't want to spoil the game, and I knew I would if I played it like it was some sort of competition. And what's the solution to that anyways?

I hate myself for bringing this up, but Path of Exile has a superb endgame: 46 (or something like that) DIFFERENT maps, which through the affix system creates beautiful uniqueness, resulting in a much slower burnout..

Agreed. PoE does indeed has some nice ideas in that regard. Although I do think randomized maps is an idea from Torchlight (1/2). But definitely something that could help D3.

There are of course other problems, but this is something I'd like to see handled asap. Yet, this is not even acknowledged as being a problem. It makes my blood boil!!!!111 *pats himself on the back and calms down*

Hey, me too. I never said D3 doesn't have problems, I just wish people were smarter when complaining about them. Just like you 2 guys are doing ;)
    Quote from Zero(pS)

Quote from Sartorius

However I'll reiterate what I posted on the US forums: there are 2 core problems with this game (my view being shared by many others, from what I've seen ), one being the way the game effectively forces you to be as efficient as possible when farming legendaries and paragon which takes us to the second core problem, which is getting fed up with doing Act III over. And over. And over. And over. Ad infinitum.

See, that right there is weird for me. How exactly does the game "force" you to be the most efficient? I've never played like that, and I have at least 12 friends who never did either. That's a concept known only to the most hardcore gamers. I never did that because I didn't want to spoil the game, and I knew I would if I played it like it was some sort of competition. And what's the solution to that anyways?

The way I see it, if you're not trying to be efficient, you're gonna get burned out much quicker. I'm by no means hardcore, and, as they say "rng is rng", but I feel the game forces me to be as efficient as I can in as little time as possible so the paragon and legendary grind is easier to bear.

My cousin started playing a couple months ago. He liked dh and went for it. Got him to 60 and all, without him reading as much as a guide about this game. I advised him from the get-go to choose a different class (another huge problem that is waiting to be fixed), because whether you like it or not, dh kinda sucks right now, especially if you're looking at higher mp. A couple days ago I showed him what a barb could do with half his budget (I gave him somewhere around 100-150 million gold) so he re-rolled, because let's face it, barbs are master farmers.

My point is: this is what the game does to you, you're looking to get as much lvl and as much legendaries as possible in as little time possible. Hence my statement that the game forces you to be as efficient as you can. Of course, you could close your eyes and cover your ears and play however you like - even prot on softcore (as laughable as that may be right now). But I'm betting that midway through 100 you'll have been fed up with the game beyond the point of no return.
    Quote from Sartorius

Quote from Zero(pS)

Quote from Sartorius

The way I see it, if you're not trying to be efficient, you're gonna get burned out much quicker. I'm by no means hardcore, and, as they say "rng is rng", but I feel the game forces me to be as efficient as I can in as little time as possible so the paragon and legendary grind is easier to bear..................

My point is: this is what the game does to you, you're looking to get as much lvl and as much legendaries as possible in as little time possible.

Yah I agree here. So I will give you a true-to-life example of how the game forces you to be efficient.

My 58 year old mom playes this game, she has played 3-4 RPGs with me and quite enjoys them. She is definately casual though, and rarely does "end-game" content, her thing is upgrading her characters, and quests.

So she plays D3, gets her Monk to 60, starts grinding Inferno. Very quickly, She gets to about 80k DPS, through the normal game mechanics of farming various acts and using the AH.....completely how the game is designed.

Than it happened....at a very early stage in the game she started asking why she never gets any upgrades, why she seems to spend hours farming, and almost everything is vendored. She continues to play for a few more weeks (got to Plvl 35 or so) and enjoys playing, but tells me quite aften about how she hasnt got an upgrade in a long time, and even her legendaries are vendored. I felt so bad because she'd get a legendary, and save it because she didnt know the gear as well as me.

So when I log in she excitedly shows me her legendaries....and I have to tell her to salvage them.
    She, even as a very casual, very uneducated gamer, understood that this game is all about playing your character and upgrading them. But because the upgrades come so incredibly slowly, and even when she gets a legendary she cant even sell it, it drives her to push for efficiency.

Even running alts for her is not fun, because she realizes her Monk at Plvl 35 and 80k DPS will just always be the best chance for upgrades. So she grinds A3 endlessly trying for those legendaries......Until she quit. In the fastest time I have ever seen her give up on a game.

That is a very common, and very real example of what we are talking about when we talk about being forced into A3.
    When casual players play the game as intended, and very quickly hit a point where upgrades or running alts, or even running other acts yields no benefit, said game has failed.
    Quote from shaggy

Quote from Sagathiest

This patch clearly does very little to address ANY of the itemization problems at all, its not a systematic change its a just a few more band-aids. For example a systematic and new change which could be made to crafting would include a genuine legendary item sink. Its not enough to create a few recipes which utilise brimstone because the items made with brimstone are still durable you need a a crafting recipe which creates an expendable non-durable so that items are actually completely destroyed.

So, basically, what you're saying is that Blizzard isn't allowed to patch in ANYTHING until it fixes the thing that you have deemed "most important." You do realize that they've almost certainly been working on "PvP" (which includes dueling and the scrapped system) since before the game was launched, right? The moment they yanked it from the launch version they surely had a team working on developing something because they knew that tons of people wanted it. Now, obviously dueling falls short of what some wanted, but what you're saying is pure insanity.

Different problems come to light at different points in time and have different timetables for being fixed. If Blizzard doesn't have an "itemization fix" until mid-April are they simply supposed to stop all the other stuff they're working on too? Because that's pretty self-centered and narcissistic to say that every patch is worthless (even though many people clearly want PvP) until it fixes what you think it should.

What you've said is exactly why so many people who defend Blizzard say that no matter what they do there will be people who shit the bed and piss their pants over it. The changes are coming, every patch so far has been a nice step in the right direction. Yet, somehow, this is a "bad" patch because it doesn't fix a complex problem that hasn't been on their radar for more than a few months, but it does fix a rather straightforward problem that has been on their radar for at least a year. Where is the logic in that? Are you just looking for things to nerdrage about?

can you please point me to the part where i said that this patch is worthless? or anything else which you have somehow extracted from what i said...
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes