1.0.7 Review (roughly) - What do you think?

They should fix the itemization, affixes on weapons etc, first. No fun in playing a whole day only getting worthless items 99% of the time.

The new idea about account-bound gloves, pants, wrists, a chest piece, and an amulet is a bit meh in my opinion. Who is farming Hellfire rings these days? Most people wont bother to get a new ring when they already have a decent one, same will happen with the boots, gloves etc. Looks like people will be looking the same even more now too, if those pieces will / can be best in slot items(!?)

Duelling sounds fun, but how to duel someone when noone of your friends are online? A PvP chat room would be nice.

No idea about the new Gem, looks interesting.

It still looks like farming act 3 all the time again, like other people posted already.

Paragon experience changes, a little to late.

Overall, Ill doubt I will be playing again after the next patch.
    Most of the changes are very welcome.
    The extra xp is fail. Most ppl will disagree, but in the long run it's better the way it is now. I wouldn't even be against if it took longer than now (1.0.6) or had more lvls - but that's a personal opinion in a minority. I get that.

I'm sad that RD and Molten are getting nerfs. I might be able to drop LS from weapon because of it and not worry about anything having a small chance to kill me ever in PvM.

I like crafting. I wish some of it (or all of it) was not BoA, but i don't mind that much.
    The ruby in weapon was needed and a little bit expected. I like it, but i hope they would change topazes too.
    Can't wait for duels.
    Because patch 1.0.7 was going to fix all of the MAJOR problems.

Hate to break it to people but if you are expecting MAJOR overhauls you're going to be waiting until 1.1 or possibly even 2.0. Each problem will likely be addressed over time as well.

I'm not implying you are not allowed to be disappointed. I'm just pointing out that these 1.0.X aren't going to include major systems updates. It's how developers label patches, specifically Blizzard if you play any of the other two franchises. x.x.X are minor patches. x.X are major patches. If you are thinking to yourself "Well maybe 1.0.8 they will fix all of the loot problems" just stop playing now. We will likely get a blog when this happens.

You can't redesign how these systems work overnight. The game shipped with what they thought was the best system. They were wrong. They have to essentially redesign the system. Most players that are still playing (like myself) I believe are just waiting for these major changes whether it be a major patch or expansion. Hoping that our patience will pay off. If not we will be angrier than before.

As far as 1.0.7 I think they have the right idea. As I posted in the news post - the dueling system is a little more than I expected but again nothing game changing. It is dueling however which is something I don't think would bring people back in mass numbers. The recipes off of Bosses is the right idea however it is a little lackluster. One thing Blizzard needs to do is get people out of Act 3. Sure you can choose to farm things other than Act 3 but let's be real people like to min and max. Sure I farm Act 1 every once in a while but after two runs it's more disappointing than seeing Aerat Crater over and over again. Everyone will have these recipes in a week and as others said it's back to Act 3. I want to log into the game and think "Oh hey I need to farm the Skeleton King for the Skeletal Rod of the Damned" or whatever.
    Quote from Serpenth

I'm not implying you are not allowed to be disappointed. I'm just pointing out that these 1.0.X aren't going to include major systems updates. It's how developers label patches, specifically Blizzard if you play any of the other two franchises. x.x.X are minor patches. x.X are major patches. If you are thinking to yourself "Well maybe 1.0.8 they will fix all of the loot problems" just stop playing now. We will likely get a blog when this happens.

Patch numbers are meaningless in this regard. There doesnt have to be a 1.0.7 or a 1.0.8. They could go straight to 1.1.

If they wanted to fix some of the real issues right now, they could call the patch anything they wanted.
    Apparently they dont want to fix them now. Which is a shame.

While there certainly are nice things in this patch, all of it (except PvP I guess, for those who care) are small changes. Not a single major game issue is adressed - unless its hidden in the patchnotes, but that seems unrealistic.
    I agree with Serpenth, however, there are some very short term things that really need to get fixed right now.

1 was reflect damage limiting builds so much. RD doesnt need to get nerfed, it just needed to get changed from 100% uptime so game play skill came into play. now that its done, they will likely need to buff its reflect % quite a bit to make ME happy but im not holding my breath.

the 2nd painfully obvious flaw is mob density. all other issues aside, the game is simply more fun to kill more monsters. even if you dont give two shits about efficiency or whatever, Act3 is the only play to get your slaughter fest on. Blizzard will have only 25% of a full game until they address this.

throwing pvper a bone was also pretty damn important short term, even if i dont pvp, im glad they are at least listening to somebody.
    Personally, I really love the upcoming changes - 1.0.7 is going to be pretty refreshing.
    What I am really shocked about is all those crazy haters spamming the forums with litter. I honestly do not see the point of those ppl hanging around here. You are apparently allergic to this game, solution is simple - gtfo.

We shall be thankful that Blizz actually listens to the community and do its best to live up to the expectations.
    Any other company just releases a product and thats it, its final. We have a privilege to actually make this game better.

Some of you hate this game so much that you trouble yourself to go to the forums and write a wall of text full of hatred?
    Oh lordie, just sell the game and never come back. Simple as that.

I really look forward to the days where I will be able to log in and enjoy myself reading valuable threads concerning the game itself.

Regards
    Quote from Byrdziak

What I am really shocked about is all those crazy haters spamming the forums with litter. I honestly do not see the point of those ppl hanging around here. You are apparently allergic to this game, solution is simple - gtfo.

Not every post is a hating post, you do have constructive feedback. If you don't see it as such you should open your eyes. Ofcourse i can't guarantee that for every post made.

Quote from Byrdziak

We shall be thankful that Blizz actually listens to the community and do its best to live up to the expectations.
    Any other company just releases a product and thats it, its final. We have a privilege to actually make this game better.

I don't know what games you're talking about but if a game is intented to be played online the company always has to listen to their playerbase.

Quote from Byrdziak

Some of you hate this game so much that you trouble yourself to go to the forums and write a wall of text full of hatred?

I'm pretty sure some of the hatred contains some truth about what's wrong with the game. And selling the game is against EULA/TOS so not simple as that.
    Quote from Shadout

Quote from Serpenth

Patch numbers are meaningless in this regard. There doesnt have to be a 1.0.7 or a 1.0.8. They could go straight to 1.1.

If they wanted to fix some of the real issues right now, they could call the patch anything they wanted.
    Apparently they dont want to fix them now. Which is a shame.

While there certainly are nice things in this patch, all of it (except PvP I guess, for those who care) are small changes. Not a single major game issue is adressed - unless its hidden in the patchnotes, but that seems unrealistic.

They COULD call it whatever they wanted, but they DON'T.

What I disagree with in your post is the assumption that all problems (and their resultant solutions) require equal time, which is patently untrue.

All problems are different and have different timelines. Some problems require tons of brainstorming but little development time. Some problems require very little brainstorming but a lot of development time. Some problems require little of both and some problems require lots of both.

The "major" problems that they're not fixing in 1.0.7 that everyone has their panties in a twist are almost certainly problems which require more time. Things like itemization aren't going to just fix themselves overnight because they're multi-facated. Fixing itemization includes, but is not limited to:

- Making shitty affixes like thorns suck less for most specs
    - Making affixes like life on kill and thorns suck less in multiplayer
    - Making general survivability stats less of a drag (this is related to a lot of other factors, though)
    - Gems and their general bore
    - Crafting and it's general lack of scalability (at some point they simply become cost-prohibitive)
    - Tri/Quadfecta being the only reasonable way to make a "good" character which makes other stats feel bad
    - Movement speed being an immensely dominant farming stat
    - Level reduction on max-level items being almost entirely wasted (we're not looking for items for level 54 toons)

That's a lot to solve. To berate Blizzard for not solving problems like that in 1.0.7 is stupid and ignorant of the work it takes to solve high-level issues.
    67.1k elite kills :: 1.98m total kills :: p255
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Quote from Byrdziak

First line is a matter of opinion.
    I don't think Blizzard is listening to the community, and i don't think they are trying hard enough. Also, other companies dont just release and forget......especially ones that have real-life money stores which continue to provide revenue to the company. We are not supposed to feel privelaged to play a game, we buy it, and should feel we got what was sold to us. We were sold the next Diablo, and the community continues to fund Blizzard, so Blizzard is obligated to make the game as good as it can be. And in my opinion (an others opinion, by your own observation of the negativity on the forums) Blizzard is not living up to their obligation.

Second line....I have stopped playing. But I'm not sure if you are aware that you can re-instal the game anytime you want? and start playing your account any time you want?

Ever consider that we are on the Forums because we want to see the game get better, so we can come back to the franchise we love? It's really a simple concept.
    Quote from Serpenth

Because patch 1.0.7 was going to fix all of the MAJOR problems.

Heres the problem with your entire argument......most of the major issues can be fixed by just fixing numbers. No new assets, no new zones, no new innovative code required.

Here are some examples:
    - Adjust some of the stats on items so they don't suck so bad.
    - Change the quality of items that drop (talking type of affixes and their roll min/max), and reduce quantity, less rares, but higher percentage of good rares.
    - Adjust stats on crafted items so their is a reason to craft, reduce craft cost a little.
    - Make new affixes on gear.
    - Make an item sink, it could be easily done through crafting, salvaging, an item that improves stats but binds it......plenty of easy ways to do this.
    - Make Gems other than crit damage worth using.....ever.
    - Increase mob density in A1/2/4
    - Increase rare/elite spawns higher in A1/2/4
    - Make some of the worthless legendaries worth using
    - Change up what affixes roll on items so not every class uses the exact same legend. (Vile Ward anyone??)

And this is just Gear. None of these would require a major content patch.....they have already done much, much more than this in past patched. If they can add Paragon system, MP levels, Uber fights, a new crafted item, adjust legendaries, create new legendaries, add Key Wardens, add recipes, and create a new zone (PVP zone).......why in the world do you think the way you do?

You said: " I'm just pointing out that these 1.0.X aren't going to include major systems updates............x.x.X are minor patches. x.X are major patches. If you are thinking to yourself "Well maybe 1.0.8 they will fix all of the loot problems" just stop playing now. We will likely get a blog when this happens."

Why not? If they can add everything I just mentioned, why can't they fix the loot problem?

Because they dont want to. For whatever reason they don't think its bad design. They never said they think theres a problem.....as is clearly seen by the now infamous quote about "some people like to get items from killing monsters".

They clearly do not see the same problems we do, they clearly have different design directions than we do. They can fix these problems, they have proved they have the capability to change these things in "minor" content patches, but it's been 8 months and alls we are getting now is duels in a controlled zone, and some new recipes which require more A3 farming to make.

Maybe the ones complaining arent the ones who are blind here.........
    I have been playing other games since D3, I can tell you my opinion is Blizzard is NOT listening or trying as hard as other games/developers. And I have constructively posted why I feel this way many times. Yet people who are on the bandwagon, calling out people like me who contribute to discussions meaningfully every chance I can, just say "be lucky Blizzard listens, be lucky Blizzard gives us patches......." you gusy contribute nothing, and do not show examples of this to be true.

If you listed the top 5 complaints people have about the game at launch, they are the same complaints we have now. So how do you justify your comments? What examples have you seen that Blizzard is listening? That Blizzard is trying hard to fix core issues?

PVP?
    The loot hunt is unrewarding.
    No item sinks, making the AH the best way to gear.
    Crafting is horribly implemented.
    No end-game content/no variety of content at 60.

Those are the top issues, that have been unresolved, and left mostly ignored (other than temporary bandaids) since launch.

The only 1 of those that has had any serious efforts put into it is "end-game" content, unfortunately the rewards arent there, and it involves endlessly running A3.......still.

Until I see real effort put into any of these issues, or AT LEAST Blizzard acknowledge they agree that these are core issues, I have little hope for Blizzard or D3. Sadly.
    The loot problem is much larger than just scaling numbers up. The stat system itself is flawed. As you said there are meaningless stats. The only gem worth is using in a weapon is crit. The legendary buff was able to be implemented because they simply had to buff them to be better than rares. The legendary buff simply scaled the numbers up on the gear. And that solved what? A majority of the legendary items players find are still crap. You play to hope you get that one big name legendary with perfect stats so you can sell it for 400m on the AH and the deck out your own guy. Why are items like Stone of Jordan or that stupid iL62 Demon Hunter bow in the game? They all suck.

Sadly I am not the Lead Systems Designer of Diablo III, and nobody on this forum is. There is clearly a conclusion that the stat system sucks which leads to loot sucking. What does the stat system have to do with it? A Barbarian loots a Vile Ward with STR and INT. If it comes with the other standard issue stats then this piece is worth probably I don't know let's say 4mil because it has 275 STR. It has 117 INT so it will give a total of 11.7 resist all. If this said Vile Ward has 117 Vitality well than this becomes a matter of 40mil. Maybe my STR/VIT numbers are off but you get what I'm saying. If that INT gives 117 RA instead of 11.7 this is a totally different ball game. And all of those shitty VIle Wards with STR/INT become valuable. As I said I'm not the Lead Systems Designer but I'm trying to make a decent attempt at explaining why the stat system is flawed and how that directly correlates to the loot system.

And yes, the crafting system is awful along with Blizzard dropping the ball big time on PvP. While end game also lacks they have taken baby steps to improve it. While you say Paragon levels and the infernal machine are major things for a minor patch - many people will argue they were not enough. And here I go to make the point of my first post, this game will not be fixed in one patch. Players will post 1.0.x isn't enough 1.0.y isn't enough - but when you add up the first seven patches they have made some improvements there is no denying that. It all will not come at once and the MAJOR things will require MAJOR overhauls and may not be able to be touched until an expansion. If we stick around we may be rewarded or we may be let down again. The game did not launch in what the players thought was Blizzard standards. They are working to address this by basically redesigning the whole game. They spent 6 years designing this lackluster product and it will not be fixed in 6 patches. This game will likely not live up to the "golden blizzard platinum best game god ever created exactly like diablo II" standard until an expansion. It needs THAT MUCH work.
    I think this patch contains only a few tweaks which could be implimented via hotfixes. Only one of the major problems got attention in this patch, but in such a bad way that it still need a lot of work (duelling).

The major Problems of the game are not really touched:

- Group play is still not rewarding. In D2 leveling alone was not rewarding. Diablo was designed as a multiplayer game, and we multiplayer part of d3 is the auction house.

Solution: Just tweak the xp numbers in multiplayer games. This will not resolve the whole problem, like mobs running away from ww barbs or or specc needed last hits like archon sorcs.

- The stat based Item system. In Diablo 2 there were 2 Slots that were really stat based. rare amus and circlets (e.g. +2 Paladin skills) Too many Items are for one or two classes only cuz of the prime stat. To fix this wont be easy. The first idea coming to my mind is to remove str/int/dex and put a +xxx to your prime stat affix in it. This will enhance the chance that a item is good.

The second part of the loot system are the legendaryys with random stats. They should go back to the drawing board here and think about it how legendarys were in d2 and what made them so great.

- PvP, Team PvP and finding Games for PvP.: This patch will introduce duelling, but till now there is no 2on2 possible or even 3on3 4on4 cuz of the stupid 4 player maximum. Finding PvP players outside of your friendlist will be horrorbil. They should have released arenas for duelling with game names and a simple matchmaking. I really cant imagine why they scrubed this. Balancing wont be possible, this is the only fact that speaks for not releasing arenas. Personaly i dont like PvP but a big part of the Playerbase does. So its important for a game like D3 to have a big playerbase cuz of the itemsystem.

- Act Mob density: This Problem is mentioned so long and would be so easy to fix. Each area should only have a few numbers to fix. Packs x-y and normalmob1 x-y normalmob2 x-y normalmob3 x-y ... NormalmobN x-y. Should be no rocketscience to fix this.

- Resources System. I think it was a big mistake to impliment rage, mana, arcane power disc/hate and spirit. This leads in the same lootproblem like stat based items and forces the players to use shit resources generating skills/runes. Also this takes out the speed of a speed based game. One main reason why the WW barb is so popular is that th resources does not matter so much is that the resource is nearly infinit. Dont have a clue for a quick solution.

- Bots: I reaally dont think they do anything about bots. They claim to ban bots in waves. I know a lot of players that bot out the hell of Diablo since months 24/7 and not a singel one of them got banned. I really doubt that they really ban bots. there are only 3 possibilitys:

a) they dont want to ban them, cuz they are selling on rmah

B) they cant detect them

c) they dont want to put the effort to ban/detect them

Bots need to be banned instant if they are detected, only this can stop the economy problem, but this is already too late. Without major changes to dectecting/baning and a kind of item reset like ladder this porblem cant be solved.

- Sockets: Every Item that can have a socket must have the maximum sockets. This is just retarded. We need a socket quest. The second part is the poor choice we have to put things in that sockets. The only choice we have is in our Helm. Life/Mf/Exp. The choice ends with reaching Para 100. Only life is left. Perhaps they changed the choice in weapons with the coming patch. We really need something like resi all gem with a nice goodie in helms/weapons like pickup radius/critchance/attackspeed/ a new special effekt

- crafting: just add ilvl 63 crafts without boa
    maybe they will do something with that flag to be more useful. when u die to click on it if u had put somewhere on the area and just tele there something like tp on d2 cuz its really annoying to runwalk a lot of map untill u reach the point where have u died
    iNsaNE''d3'pLayEr!!!
    "We’ve also made it so that pet damage is no longer reflected back to the player."

FUCK YES!!!!

That's another hundreds of hours of gaming time for me.
    I am so easily pleased.
    Diablo 3 was made for me.

Edit-
    And i loled hard at this-
    The resurrection timer in Hardcore remains unchanged. :D
    lack of major pvp is kind of a bummer, but its understandable, would've been hard to balance
    meh... still doesnt change the 'Main Stat, Vit, IAS, CritChnc, CritDam' item search for almost every single class and build.

Its actually quite staggering how booring the gear is. I wouldnt have thought it possible to make it so dull.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes