How is damage calculated on this?

Currently I'm using a Immortal King Triumph's helm on a barb with the following stats:

Armor: 616
    Str: 192
    CC: 5%
    Meele damage reduction: 6%
    Socket: 15% Life

I also have a Mempo of Twilight with the following stats:

Armor: 428
    Str: 192
    Vit: 65
    Int: 75
    Life %: 10
    AR: 77
    AS: 8
    Socket: Empty

In the comparison window I get that the my barb starts would be the following with the Mempo equipped:

Life: - 2247
    Damage: -752.8
    Protection: +0.5

OK life is clear because of the amethyst, also protection because of the 77 all res but why is the damage lower, both have the same primary stat (str) but Mempo has plus 8% attack speed, does the loss of 5% crit chance behind accounted vs AS?
    It doesn't make much sense to me because CC is only a possibility of increasing damage not causing damage directly.

My character profile: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/BatuKMan-2108/hero/21692210
    Theres a theoretic dps and a practical. It makes perfect sense. You would loose dps using that Mempo.
    Can't understand, the offensive stats on Mempo are 192 Str and 8% Attack speed, on the IK is 192 Str, so why is DPS going to decrease with the Mempo.
    Or is calculated differently?
    the crit chance is whats affecting the dps. if the Mempo had CC, u would be in the money
    It's the crit, like was said by others.
    When dps is calculated, all dps stats are included. These are :

CHC
    CHD
    AS/APS
    avg/min/max dmg
    STR
    +elemental dmg %

you can use a dps calculator or even better - the site d3up.com to see exact gains by stat of your character with current gear. Import you char and check 'dmg gains by stat' on the right side.

Apearently at the moment 8% AS

edit: I plugged in your stats in there and here's the result

+1 Primary Stat  40.35
    +1% Crit Hit 1,116.75
    +1% Crit Hit Dmg 133.75
    +1 Minimum Dmg 59.75
    +1 Maximum Dmg 59.75
    +1% Attack Speed 647.16
    +1% Elemental Damage 668.13
    Cheers, it seems that increasing the CHC is the way to go, next AS or Elemental Damage then Primary Stat.

I didn't knew CHC was used to calculate DPS. Thanks for the enlightenment.
    CHC not only increases your dps, but also helps with fury generation and so does AS.
    There's a synergy between stats. As you increase your CHC, CHD increases it's value from it; with higher AS you crit more often etc.

Don't forget to check your char every now and then after some upgrades, because the values will change as your stats change.
    Thanks for enlightenment TURTLE, I though that CHC wouldn't enter in the DPS calculation because in an hypothetical case you'd have 100% CHC but 0% CHD then CHC would have no effect on DPS, off-course it would affect other stuff like Fury generation, cooldowns etc... depending on skills.

As I understand it, with 50% CHC, 500% CHD, 100 000 DPS and 1.00 AS means that on average every other attack you would deal 50 000 000 damage but if with a 25% CHC that would happen every 4th attack.
    So I though that the damage, in this case 100 000 DPS, wouldn't include CHC/CHD which would be factored later thus not enter your character damage spec.
    Quote from BatuKMan

Thanks for enlightenment TURTLE, I though that CHC wouldn't enter in the DPS calculation because in an hypothetical case you'd have 100% CHC but 0% CHD then CHC would have no effect on DPS, off-course it would affect other stuff like Fury generation, cooldowns etc... depending on skills.

As I understand it, with 50% CHC, 500% CHD, 100 000 DPS and 1.00 AS means that on average every other attack you would deal 50 000 000 damage but if with a 25% CHC that would happen every 4th attack.
    So I though that the damage, in this case 100 000 DPS, wouldn't include CHC/CHD which would be factored later thus not enter your character damage spec.

You're forgetting something very important, something that almost EVERYONE forgets:

DPS = Damage Per Second.

The number you see in your character sheet is DPS, average damage dealt in one second, not damage dealt for each strike that hits for 100% damage. Because of this CHC and CHD are already factored into it.

Your calculation is completely wrong. If your character screen shows 100,000 DPS, and you have 50% CHC, 500% CHD, 1.00 APS, and you're using a skill that hits for 100% damage, you'd be hitting for ~33,250 on non crit strikes, and ~166,250 when you do crit.

With my example numbers, in two seconds you swing one crit and one non crit, they add up to 199,500 damage, divide by 2 to get back to one second = 99,750 DPS.

You have to take into consideration that most skills in the game are not a perfect 100% damage either, some hit for more, and some hit for less, but the DPS in the character sheet is calculated at 100%.
    You're correct Bearbarian, I completely dismissed the Damage per Second and was considering the damage done for each strike then it's all explained why CHC/CHD enter the calculation.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes