Would a checkbox for "No trading character" be a solution to something?

Quote from TheDemokin

Quote from maka

Quote from TheDemokin

-snip-

That was YOUR personal choice and you CAN make the same choice here, how is that different?

Of course you can, but circumventing the way IMPOSED by Blizzard to play the game (as in the game and itemization was built around the existence of the auction house) you'll find that you're hindering your own progress for no reason.

I'm a smoker. I tried to quit. Never managed to because cigarettes are everywhere around. Now, if we're talking 10-15 miles between me and them, then fuck it, I won't bother. Some would, but I wouldn't. The best analogy I could come up with between D2 and D3 trading system.
    I believe it could potentially be one of the best things since launch, but only if it works like HC, where there is a separate server for NT (no trade) characters, in which drops were increased to account for no AH trading.

This would also serve Blizz as a test to the AH´s place in ARPG games... If a vast mayority of players turn to NT servers, then... what is left to argue?
    When Monster Power came out I started a character with no trading, no auction house. I played MP10 from scratch. The game is fun again. Every drop, every level, and even crafting is exciting again. MP10 is tough without AH.

With that said, I'd love to have a 'no trade' option to play with other no trade players. I'm not sure we'd need drop rates adjusted as they're decent as you earn your way through paragon levels. Basically this option would just make sure those who don't want to trade or use auction house can't. My original plan was never to use AH, but upon release of D3, the drop rates were awful and inferno was tough and I caved. Things have changed since then and it's now a viable option.
    Why not just make achievements like "Purist" or "Finder" for those that can beat Inferno on self found gear and not bought stuff or traded items. Seems like that might be motivation enough for some players.
    heavymetal#1322
    http://us.battle.net...22/hero/3153312 (wiz)
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/heavymetal-1322/hero/8654665 (monk)
    my twitch feed (just messing around, no super player or anything)
    http://www.justin.tv/heavymetalmak
    Quote from heavymetalmak

Why not just make achievements like "Purist" or "Finder" for those that can beat Inferno on self found gear and not bought stuff or traded items. Seems like that might be motivation enough for some players.

Because you can have well-geared people carry you through the whole game. If you also impose that they solo the game, it's against bliz's philosophy of promoting team games.

I actually like the no-trade servers where good items drop more. Maybe one solution is to disallow low affix roll. For example, you can no longer roll +8-10 dmg on ilvl63 weapons (maybe +50-90 dmg and above only). The drop rate (MF) can be the same.
    Quote from Sagathiest

The AH is not just trading its super efficient trading. You can go on the AH and buy the exact item you want and receive it instantly no need to search for the player who has the item you want. Thus old school trading was less efficient than the AH. Therefore if drops were balanced on the basis of No AH trading then they would be higher.

So yes HOW items move between players does matter because if drops are balanced based on how easy it is to acquire items by trade then a more efficient trading mechanism will result in lower drop rates to compensate for the increased availability.
    That is exactly my problem too. Trading in D2 took more time and the player was not able to "play". AH is another level of trading - it is completely new game. You don`t need to play and kill any monsters and you could have BiS items - just by trading.

Me and my friends are playing without AH from the beginning. We are "sharing" the drops. I have finished paragon leveling yesterday and I still did not see some legendary/set items. So my choice to see those items is to trade them or to play another 500 or even more hours - is this fun? is this the way to "play" this game?
    One problem with 'choosing not to trade' is that when and if Blizz ever sets up any sort of ladder, competition, ranking or statistics tool for D3, whatever that may be, one that people would love as much as say the D2 ladder, there would be nothing for those players 'choosing not to trade' because one could simply claim it's all self found. So in that regards it'd have to be a seperate system.
    - I know that my Redeemer liveth, and as the last man He shall stand forth upon the earth -
    - - -
    I personally have character where I only use self-found items (also not using items from my shared stash, which would be "cheating"). I don't ever think that blizz will make a checkbox for "no trading" since they'd have to create a new stash for that play style like they have for hardcore. If they let the "no trade" characters share the stash with the normal characters, you can just trade anything with another char and hand it over... If someone now comes and claims "well, you'd just have to be strict and not use stuff from your stash", to them I say, then you don't need the checkbox either, just don't trade =P

If they ever make a character type which has no access to AH and can only use self found items, I highly disagree that blizz should reward these characters with better drop and/or higher drop rates. You choose to play with no trading because it's more of a challenge, then don't ask for a cookie because you feel its unfair compared to the AH characters.
    Selfimposing is not a real solution because game is already rigged taking into account AH. Drops are rare so you will have much tougher than in D2. Proof:

What I said, and what is true, is that with far more players and an increased proliferation of item trade, we have to factor in how many items are being found by players and how quickly a player can gear up by 'sourcing' items from others through trade and the convenience of the gold auction house.

If we say "a player should have X power in Y amount of time through drops" and completely ignore that the time factor can be reduced by simply having access to more drops through trading and the auction house, players would be gearing up far quicker than we've determined they should. It has nothing to do with the auction house per se, but the general ease at which players have access to more items than they would without it and us needing to keep that in mind while balancing drops. It would be rather poorly thought out if we balanced drops completely ignoring all of the ways players can gear up, and trading is certainly one of them.

I would paste link to this Bashiok's post but I can't since it's my first post here.
    Quote from Archen
    I would paste link to this Bashiok's post but I can't since it's my first post here.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5150764997?page=3#49
    - I know that my Redeemer liveth, and as the last man He shall stand forth upon the earth -
    - - -
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes