Diablo 2(upgrade) vs Diablo 3 the poll

Poll: Would you prefer a Diablo 2 upgrade to Diablo 3?

If Blizzard Had created a Diablo 2 upgrade would you prefer it to Diablo 3??(see OP)

Would you prefer a Diablo 2 upgrade to Diablo 3? - Single Choice

• I have not played Diablo 2 2.9%
  • I would prefer a Diablo 2 Upgrade 47.8%
  • I would prefer Diablo 3 49.3%
    I started thinking the other day about what Diablo 3 would have been like if it had been more true to Diablo 2. So to answer the poll i ask you to imagine that Blizzard rather than altering some of the fundamental systems had created a Diablo 2 Clone with the graphics power which improved technology has provided.

My choice and some why...

I voted for the Diablo 2 upgrade because i just dont enjoy Diablo 3 as much as i did Diablo 2. The game lacks depth. this is the result of the simplified systems. As an example of a simplified system i indicate damage uniformity.

The type of damage you dealt in Diablo 2 truly mattered. The damage uniformity in Diablo 3 makes the classes lack identity. so that no matter what class you play the choices are the same. Ive tryed playing other classes and it always feels like more of the same, because it is! The primary stat dependence only serves to to reinforce the generic pathway which every class takes.

Choices about character progression are at the core of an RPG and for me Diablo 3 removes too many of these choices, as ive said before i want more choices not less and these choices should differ in quality as well as quantity.

thus i think the developers have failed to understand one the key things which makes rpg games enjoyable.

I have stopped playing i will probably come back to try out new things but this will only be temporary unless the developers make a CHOICE PROMOTING change to the basic systems.
    I disagree about the game not offering the player compelling choices.

While considering my Melee ice wizard the other day, I sat for a moment and tried to think which runes/passives I should change, and it dawned on me that I couldn't switch a single one of them without completely ruining the build. It was an awesome feeling to know why every rune and passive had been chosen, what the benefits were, and to have crafted something that was so totally my own over the course of hours of actual play and testing skills. I've been through about 20 or so builds playing my wizard and none of them have ever felt as good as this one. That's one part of why I like this game so much.

But I guess I'm an outlier since all the pros are using CM/archon. I don't doubt that those builds are amazingly effective, but I think this is also part of the feeling people get that the game has no customization, because it's natural for gamers to seek the absolute most efficient build, even if the next one down would lose you a million EXP/hr or so. Not that my build doesn't rock in it's own way. But I digress here.

My point is, while you're not micromanaging stat points anymore, you are making valuable and quite interesting decisions about your character when you choose your skills. I also find the socketing system to be a nice replacement for stat allocation, because based on my gear, it's nice to be able to shift more toward defense (HP) or offense (INT). Of course, having more options would be nice, (not hard to imagine we will get more) but the game is still young, and what's there is entertaining, for reasons stated above.
    Melee ice wizard ???

LINK THIS BUILD PLEASE
    Working with adobe and/or java is like pushing a paper clip against a building and expecting it to move...

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    Final Fantasy 7
    Quote from IgnatiusReilly

I disagree about the game not offering the player compelling choices.

While considering my Melee ice wizard the other day, I sat for a moment and tried to think which runes/passives I should change, and it dawned on me that I couldn't switch a single one of them without completely ruining the build. It was an awesome feeling to know why every rune and passive had been chosen, what the benefits were, and to have crafted something that was so totally my own over the course of hours of actual play and testing skills. I've been through about 20 or so builds playing my wizard and none of them have ever felt as good as this one. That's one part of why I like this game so much.

But I guess I'm an outlier since all the pros are using CM/archon. I don't doubt that those builds are amazingly effective, but I think this is also part of the feeling people get that the game has no customization, because it's natural for gamers to seek the absolute most efficient build, even if the next one down would lose you a million EXP/hr or so. Not that my build doesn't rock in it's own way. But I digress here.

My point is, while you're not micromanaging stat points anymore, you are making valuable and quite interesting decisions about your character when you choose your skills. I also find the socketing system to be a nice replacement for stat allocation, because based on my gear, it's nice to be able to shift more toward defense (HP) or offense (INT). Of course, having more options would be nice, (not hard to imagine we will get more) but the game is still young, and what's there is entertaining, for reasons stated above.

Players do seek efficiency which is why the type problem is so important, at the moment there is only one field(damage) if their were multiple damage types(beyond appearances of) the number of fields within which a player could be efficient would increase and thus more builds would emerge as a result.
    Want to play upgraded Diablo 2? Just buy Torchlight 2. It's 15$. If you dont know the story behind Torchlight developers it is made buy the same guys that created D2. Diablo 3 is created by Blizard but by many "new" guys with lots of NEW ideas etc. What came from it you know. If you want old fashion hack and slash experience with manual stat/skill allocation go play TL2. I personally have both games (obviously) and I find Torchlight more fun for gameplay. The graphic could be better but it is not that matters the most. Some ppl still play d2 in that matter...
    So you would like us to compare something that exists to something vaguely hypothetical?

Breaking news: hypothesis will win. Everybody has a few...
    I'd actually argue that the systems and mechanics already in the game are good as they are. The things D3 is missing are things that test endurance, skill and a general level of competitiveness. The developers have thus far added new mechanics and some small content, and have promised more to follow, so I have faith that all the stuff D3 is currently lacking will be in the game at some point down the road.

Honestly, I could go on into greater detail about whats great and what is lacking, but I'm fairly sure that anyone who has been actively following the community knows the discussion has been made since day one. People have already formed their opinions. As far as I'm concerned, D2 harbors the best memories for me personally when it comes to gaming, but objectively speaking, it also had many flaws which D3 has already shown to handle better. For example, as much as people may refuse to notice this, but the D2 economy would effectively be sent back to the stonage if Blizzard took out all the dupers, botters and item stores. Following this, people would really start to notice that D2 itemization isn't really that different once you take out all the runewords. Out of the almost 300 uniques in the game, how many were truly memorable? You'd be surprised, but it isn't much better than D3. This in turn would cause people to actually look at more than just rare rings, amulets and gloves, and suddenly the whole paradigm shifts to the point where even the stat system sucks - found a nice rare? Better reroll to meet its requirements ;)

I'll admit that I really liked the way the D2 economy worked. On the other hand, many old members here will know my opinion on bots and dupes/itemstores, and as much as I hate to admit it, looking back, they're what made D2 work a lot better than it should have on a lot of levels. Even the players that weren't directly associated with the whole thing benefited a lot, just by sheer virtue of allowing people to make endgame runewords. Not to be confrontational, but anyone who disagrees should try to create a high-end runeword they used at one point by themselves without trading for runes or such. Once you get your hands on the Jah, Ber or Zod runes, try justifying why you would trade a HR for 40Pgems or less ;)

The only thing that I can justify people having different opinions on is the skill system, since that doesn't directly get tied in with any other mechanics in both games, and yet they differ on fundamental levels. However, even here is something to be taken away, as people seem to have forgotten how important +skills and OSkills were on gear. In truth, those stats were not too different from today's CD, CC or IAS.

Enough rambling however. Hope everyone has a Happy New Year :)
    Of all things important in Online Gaming, there is one thing no game developer can "fix" - it's community.
    Easy choice.. Diablo 3 all the way. I really like that diablo 3 is really a new game and not a copy of diablo 2. If I would like diablo 2 more I would play it. I want to play the game that is most fun to me, I don't care about graphics or what other people are playing or anything like that.
    really? this again?
    guys get real

if you think d2 is so awesome go and play it, there is no reason not to if you enjoy it more then d3

you simply miss the point, you paid 60€/$ or whatever else for many hours of fun, more then you would ever get in any other game
    blizz never said d3 will get new content every few months, its not an mmo

I havent really played d2 that much but a friend of mine did ... what he did all the time was pindl/baal runs
    or he was having that super awesome fun in pvp, where everyone had teleport and you barely seen something else then their arrows
    I voted D3.

I'm glad they didn't just give us D2 with better graphics. I have D2 and LoD attached to my b.net account and I can go play them any time I want to. I'm glad that D2 wasn't just "upgraded D1" and I'm glad that D3 isn't just "upgraded D2." That would get boring very quickly regardless of if anyone admits it or not.
    p427 :: 89.1k EK :: 2.47m TK
    Planet Express <PlanEx>
    (V) (°,,°) (V)
    Quote from Sagathiest

The type of damage you dealt in Diablo 2 truly mattered. The damage uniformity in Diablo 3 makes the classes lack identity. so that no matter what class you play the choices are the same. Ive tryed playing other classes and it always feels like more of the same, because it is! The primary stat dependence only serves to to reinforce the generic pathway which every class takes.

oh sry in D2 the most of stats that u care were +to all skill, +to one of the tabs of skills and +to 1skill, +ias , +life, + res
    u didnt even care about ur primary stats like in D3 for example dex for dh or monk, U just wanted to max hit chance
    so if u compare that to D3 I think u care for some of same stats like in D2 + some few more like CC and CD

U had opurtunity to give stats point as u liked and how it was like? str so u can carry specific gear maybe some in dex to have 95hit chance energy to have more mana but not always and rest ugave in to life. If u had anni and torch and eni u didnt even care about str. That is how it was in D2
    My vote went for Diablo 2 upgrade.
    I wouldnt want to see the same zones revamped into new graphics but there's a few mechanics in diablo 2 that is a large part of this game category (farming) which was by far much more fun than diablo 3 (for me) has ever been - not that diablo 3 is boring nor a bad game.

I wanted to see the same type of item farming, not slashing through alk run after alk run. I know, mephisto,countess,pindleskin they we're all the same all the time but minus the NV stack farm and countless of elite kills just to see shit drops everywere. For me my usual farm in one run was: Countess(Act1) Andariel(Act1), in Lost City(Act2) there where a quick yet good sewer, Mephisto(Act3) then there was Pindleskin (Act5) and two other bosses just near first waypoint(I guess) in Act 5 I used to kill. I loved that run, didnt yield good items all the time but it was funnier.

I want to see that in diablo 3, more than this.

All in all - Diablo 3 is better, but it need a bit more work. My way of farming wont come back, I live with that but I wont live with current iteminsation.
    I want a D3 with more stuff to do, and the ability to do the latest content competitively without using the AH.
    D3 easily. If I want to play D2 I'll play D2 if I want to play D1 I'll play D1. Simple.
    www.myspace.com/mpotatoes for all your Trans Siberian Orchestra listening pleasure
    If you want to arrange it
    This world you can change it
    If we could somehow make this
    Christmas thing last

By helping a neighbor
    Or even a stranger
    And to know who needs help
    You need only just ask

Diablo 3 = 2012 game with 0 social systems, and yet needs Internet to function. No private chat channels. No /f m. No choosing what game you enter. No clans/ guilds. Games from 1998 had features like these. And dont even get me started on the itemization.

Diablo 2 > Diablo 3. Is and always will be.

/thread
    Skyrim all the way. WHAT?? That's not a choice??? BLAH!!! Then let's play Vikings.
    had to think a moment but yeah d3 won. Mostly cos everyone started from scratch and it made real money auction house really viable for few months. Also making core game for d3 is nice since it gives opportunity for biggest gaming bomb ever: the expansion! Just think how cool it would be if a year after initial release they would give us LOD-like expansion
    They would promise us L0D but would scrap L and D afterwards.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes